Author Topic: Modding HHKB to 55g and novatouch hybrid stems.  (Read 5102 times)

Offline illitirit

Modding HHKB to 55g and novatouch hybrid stems.
« on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 19:26:33 »
So I have decided that I am going to do what is probably considered insane to alot of people but I just cant live knowing that my unicorn is out there and not in my hands.

I want a HHKB pro 2 with 55g switches, as well as the cherry compatible stems from a novatouch.

My question is, for a keyboard noob, how hard would this be to accomplish?

I currently already have a 87u 55g uniform.  I already purchased an HHKB and I am waiting for it in the post.  The novatouch I would try to get used.

I have never done keyboard modding before so I just want to double check that this setup is in fact possible.

I know alot of people have 55g HHKB.  But what about the novatouch stems?  Are all the keys hot-swappable into the HHKB?  Even the stabilizers?  Would it be as easy as just taking the stems and popping it into the HHKB?

Thanks for any replies.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
Re: Modding HHKB to 55g and novatouch hybrid stems.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 19:32:48 »
Yeah, swapping in the stems is that easy but IIRC there is something you have to do to stabilized keys.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline joey

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 04:47:26 »
I'm interested in seeing a detailed how-to / log for this! (I don't have a HHKB or Novatouch.. but you never know!)

Offline illitirit

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 05:23:57 »
I'm interested in seeing a detailed how-to / log for this! (I don't have a HHKB or Novatouch.. but you never know!)

welp , i purchased everything needed.  Including lube.

I have never done any keyboard modding before so this will probably be pretty painful for me.  But I hope I dont break anything.

Will report back with my experiences.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 05:27:16 »

welp , i purchased everything needed.  Including lube.

I have never done any keyboard modding before so this will probably be pretty painful for me.  But I hope I dont break anything.

Will report back with my experiences.

Pics and descrips, please!
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 01:30:37 »
Yeah, swapping in the stems is that easy but IIRC there is something you have to do to stabilized keys.
IIRC people mentioned they had to drill holes in the HHKB but it is a mistake. You can take out the whole stabs housing on both board and just swap them.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 10:43:25 »
IIRC people mentioned they had to drill holes in the HHKB but it is a mistake. You can take out the whole stabs housing on both board and just swap them.
Yea. I remember reading something similar.

Dont do any drilling for the stabilizers on the smaller keys!

I think the only problem left is the 6x spacebar on the hhkb. The stabilizers dont match up without drilling (or getting really creative) on the spacebar. I think the stems on most 6x mx spacebars dont match up to the hhkb too well either. (I could be slightly off in my reasoning. Maybe someone else on GH can add info to the spacebar issues on the hhkb.)

Offline burn1nsun

• My stupid YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 13:23:44 »
''So I have decided that I am going to do what is probably considered insane to alot of people''
Haha not sure if this is sarcastic or not
HHKB Pro 2 l Pok3r Gateron Blacks

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 16:57:39 »
Holes have to be drilled because switch/stab housings are part of the HHKB's case, they are not removable.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 17:46:45 »
Hhkb should stay in its Virgin state ;_;
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 18:11:27 »
Enlightened cherry users aren't welcome here. Vintage 1933 Blacks skew your opinions.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 18:15:40 »
Hhkb should stay in its Virgin state ;_;
demik, the Pope of topre.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 18:38:38 »
Yea. I remember reading something similar.

Dont do any drilling for the stabilizers on the smaller keys!

I think the only problem left is the 6x spacebar on the hhkb. The stabilizers dont match up without drilling (or getting really creative) on the spacebar. I think the stems on most 6x mx spacebars dont match up to the hhkb too well either. (I could be slightly off in my reasoning. Maybe someone else on GH can add info to the spacebar issues on the hhkb.)

I think most people just keep the spacebar stem as Topre and keep their stock spacebar (or find one in an interesting color from another set).

There's also that PBT spacebar GB in the works that might have some other interesting colors and since they are PBT, someone could always buy extras and dye them
null