Author Topic: [IC] Scribe 6 (60%): UPDATE: 7/16 CANCELLED  (Read 18505 times)

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
[IC] Scribe 6 (60%): UPDATE: 7/16 CANCELLED
« on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 17:56:09 »
This product is no longer being offered. My apologies to interested parties.

.Codex (DSA) on Vintage Gunmetal

Interest Check Form

This is a universal mount case which allows you to use an existing 60% cherry type PCB or an existing HHKB type PCB. The Scribe PCB with native slidebar support and bluetooth is top mount only. There are two top mounted plate options, one for cherry with plate mounts, and one for HHKB with integrated POM Topre Housings. HHKB type plate is top mount only. Cherry plate can be top or bottom mount. More details of the construction will be coming soon.

When ordering, you will have the option of buying a standalone case with base, a case with top-mount cherry or HHKB plate, a case, base, cherry plate and PCB. HHKB users can also order JTK sliders (required for DSA mount) as an option.

DSA Codex Keycaps will also be an option. Many layouts will be supported, ISO included.

Magnetic Slidebar mounts (left, right, and north) are being developed in conjunction with SlideKB. A Separate Slidebar enclosure with the corresponding mounts will be made available as well. The slidebar will hook up directly to the USB passthrough on the underside of the board.

PrototypIng is underway. Pictures will be posted when a final product is given the go ahead.

UPDATES JULY 4th, 2017
Integrated 100mm horizontal slidebar is now only available on the Scribe 7. The Scribe 6 will retain all other features including HHKB compatibility.

Features include:

-Two piece top (or bottom) mount CNC aluminum case, anodized in Black, Dark Grey, Silver, Rose Gold, Orange, Purple, Red, Blue, and Vintage Gunmetal, (2.5 lbs assembled).

-Blockoffs are optional and can be cut to any .25u increment on a per order basis.

-DSA .Codex Keycaps shown in renders will be available in this group buy, with quality control managed by Scribe. In other words, you will not receive warped caps! ;) Topre users will have the option of JTK sliders.

-Your choice of Brass or Stainless Steel Cherry or Topre Mount 3mm top-mount plate, recess cut to 1.5mm for cherry switch mounting or with POM Topre housings integrated, Titanium nitride coated in natural, rose gold, blue, purple, aqua, black, or vintage gunmetal finish.

-Your choice of hot- formed Brass or  cold-formed Stainless Steel 3mm Base  (3.5lbs) , magnetic mount with underglow diffusing windows, Titanium nitride coated in natural, rose gold, blue, purple, aqua, black, or vintage gunmetal finish.

-Bluetooth Wireless with rechargeable battery standard.

-Magnetic slidebar mounts standard.

-RGB Underglow standard.

-USB-C connectivity standard, multiport hub is optional.

Layouts shown With DSA Codex Colorway and OLD legends and spacebars. Latest legends and 2.25/2.75u caps shown in latest render. These will be updated with current (and much better) Renders shortly.

Pro Layout

Operator Layout

Hacker Layout

Civilian Layout

Warm toned PBT Dye sub key caps in DSA profile contrasted by violent red accent keys. Modifiers have custom designed symbology, with optional front printed Fn layer text.

//changelog v1.0a
//New Case
//Integrated Slidebar moved to Scribe 7
//.Codex is now DSA, design completed
//Audio amplifier deleted

//changelog v.02e
//Added Civilian layout
//Notes: Standard shift and split 3u space will be provided for compatibility

//Pending Changes
//Hiragana legends (option)
//Red pad printed side legends (option)
//Fusion MT3 profile .codex keycap renders
//Fusion Scribe keyboard case renders
//Scribe PCB design
//Standard Layouts
//Topre Keycaps???
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 July 2017, 17:32:32 by SpectreiiI »

Offline Vigrith

Re: [IC] MT3 Codex on Scribe 60% (caps and board)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 17:59:07 »
Picture no worky for me.

Edit: now it does. I like the set! All for more MT3 sets so definitely supportive of the motion.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 June 2017, 18:02:59 by Vigrith »

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 18:02:24 »
Sorry about that. Fixed it.

Offline ns90

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 18:04:58 »
I feel like you would definitely need to off keys for a more standard layout as well.  The highly customized nature of this layout may turn many people off. Also, what's the "Phase" key intended to be?

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 18:14:01 »
I feel like you would definitely need to off keys for a more standard layout as well.  The highly customized nature of this layout may turn many people off. Also, what's the "Phase" key intended to be?
The pcb can be designed to allow for conventional layouts.

The phase key is a contextually aware modifier which allows you to change the resolution of your cursor from single character, to term, expression, block, etc. in a code editor. When used with shift, phase-shift, it allows you to wrap entire contexts and essentially write code in multiple lines at once.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 June 2017, 18:15:52 by SpectreiiI »

Offline ns90

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 20:33:39 »
Oh yeah, I would imagine the PCB would have additional compatibility, but I also meant for the keyset. Like, having a Row 4 '?' key as well. Also, would this be run through Massdrop? It was my understanding that Massdrop owned the molds for this profile.

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 20:47:35 »
Oh yeah, I would imagine the PCB would have additional compatibility, but I also meant for the keyset. Like, having a Row 4 '?' key as well. Also, would this be run through Massdrop? It was my understanding that Massdrop owned the molds for this profile.
Yes, the base set would include standard row alphas, and all of the usual add on kits would be available. This particular layout would consist of base alphas, mods,  and scribe kit.

The plan is to offer this kit through massdrop.

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 22:14:47 »
Will the PCB have the LEDs facing south?

Would love if there was an aluminum top mounted case made for this too, but I know that's asking for too much.

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 23:07:48 »

Would love if there was an aluminum top mounted case made for this too, but I know that's asking for too much.
Yes, led's will be facing south to accommodate led windows.

By top mounted, do you mean that the plate mounts to a top case plate, or do you mean that the plate is literally integrated into the top of the case?

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 23:48:33 »
Certainly an interesting layout but idk if I could get used to that left alpha column.

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 23:53:06 »
Certainly an interesting layout but idk if I could get used to that left alpha column.
You don't have to use that layout, but the intention was to improve right hand homing.

Offline ns90

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 10:19:49 »
You don't have to use that layout, but the intention was to improve right hand homing.

Have you tested this layout yet? I'm just curious as to how it would feel. I imagine it might make some of the lower left keys a bit hard to reach.

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 12:01:16 »

Have you tested this layout yet? I'm just curious as to how it would feel. I imagine it might make some of the lower left keys a bit hard to reach.
This layout is the product of testing. The lefthand modifiers  do require a slight stretch as compared to a conventional layout, but not nearly as wide as the stretch for the corresponding right hand mods on a conventional layout. It is significantly easier to type on once you get used to it, and far more intuitive from a coding perspective as well.

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 16:09:36 »
Man I would be so down for custom MT3 sets! Also, that layout is super nice!

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
Re: [IC] MT3 Codex on Scribe 60%: UPDATE Scribe CASE RENDERS
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 10:12:52 »
Initial case renders, new layouts posted.

Offline Tachi

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 12:06:12 »
Loving the operator layout!

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 12:10:09 »
Operator looks amazing and the case seems to be quite striking too, very interesting.

Offline ns90

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 12:56:08 »
Now that's a case I would buy in an instant.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 13:18:11 »
I'd recommend making the spacebar on the Hacker layout 6.25u or 7u rather than 6u.  I know the actually HHKB uses 6u, but there's really no advantages to using it and they layout is already different from the HHKB anyway.  That and they haven't yet made a 6u spacebar mold anyway.

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 13:50:47 »
super spicy but holy it looks like a wallet-wrecker

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 14:05:36 »
I'd recommend making the spacebar on the Hacker layout 6.25u or 7u rather than 6u.  I know the actually HHKB uses 6u, but there's really no advantages to using it and they layout is already different from the HHKB anyway.  That and they haven't yet made a 6u spacebar mold anyway.
Technically, all layout can be reconfigured to use other layout features assuming that the keys fit.The hacker layout could be also use split 3u space bars or 6.25u. This will be reflected in the next round of layout renders. The only other concern is the block off plates, which can be cut in any .25 increment you specify. This only requires changes in 4 of the parameters for the cnc instructions, so the cost-effect is neglible. Thanks for the feedback :)

super spicy but holy it looks like a wallet-wrecker
I make it a point to try and keep each and every component of my designs as cost-effective as possible. That said, this board is intended to be used professionally, and will likely carry a price tag that is commensurate with professional peripherals.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 June 2017, 16:19:38 by SpectreiiI »

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 15:19:24 »
-
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 June 2017, 16:20:23 by SpectreiiI »

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 16:47:27 »
Onto actual questions, are we going to be able to buy individual parts and is the case going to be a standard 60% with the normal holes? (I'm mostly eyeing the case/keycaps).

I'm currently on the YAS62 gb (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87511.0) and I think this would be an awesome case to go with it at some point.

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 17:20:37 »
Onto actual questions, are we going to be able to buy individual parts and is the case going to be a standard 60% with the normal holes? (I'm mostly eyeing the case/keycaps).

I'm currently on the YAS62 gb (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87511.0) and I think this would be an awesome case to go with it at some point.
The case will fit a standard 60% PCB and plate and will have optional block-off plates which can be cut in width increments of .25u. The case, pcb,  plate, and caps will be part of the same group buy, but the case and caps will be offered as standalone orders.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 June 2017, 17:28:22 by SpectreiiI »

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
Re: [IC] MT3 .Codex on Scribe 60%: UPDATE Forms, Newer Renders
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 08:02:03 »
The case will fit a standard 60% PCB and plate and will have optional block-off plates which can be cut in width increments of .25u. The case, pcb,  plate, and caps will be part of the same group buy, but the case and caps will be offered as standalone orders.

Sick. If this happens, I'll definitely be in. This would definitely be my end game case. I'll link this thread over to the YAS62 GB thread and see if we can gain some traction.

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 09:09:21 »
Thanks. This is also my end game case. I appreciate your support. :)

Offline sklin

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 13:52:12 »
Interested, especially the Operator option.

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 14:07:21 »
Operator!

Hold 'de line!

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 20:24:40 »
I'm interested in your idea of "improving right hand homing"  :thumb:, the right Shift is 1 column off so I never use it on regular typing.

the case looks nice.  :)

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 10:00:35 »
I'm interested in your idea of "improving right hand homing"  :thumb:, the right Shift is 1 column off so I never use it on regular typing.

the case looks nice.  :)
This is essentially the entire idea behind the layout, balancing the stretch distance between right hand and left hand keys. In a standard layout, the left pinky only has 1 column of "stretch keys. This is great for the left hand, because the pinky does not need to differentiate between columns for any keys. However, this leaves the right hand with as many as 3 columns of stretch and therefore 3 columns of differentiation. Worse, the keys in the third column tend to be the furthest from home row, and in the case of backspace, also very common keys.

The pro layout makes it so that all but one key (`~) require at most 2 points of differentiation, and 1 column of stretch. Enter is 50% closer, Backspace is 40% closer, and R-Shift is 30% closer to R-pinky home. On average, syntax symbols are 25% closer and require 30% less differentiation.

All of this amounts to far faster typing. There is actually far more logic to the layout, a topic for which a white paper could be written if enough people are interested in viewing the research.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
Re: [IC] Scribe 6-Series (60%): UPDATE Bluetooth, Integrated Slidebar!
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 22:44:16 »
Oooo I'm game for any decent bluetooth mech. I need something to use on my couch :D.

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 07:26:07 »
Jeez. You're adding a lot of features up there o__o hopefully you don't bite off more than you can chew! Also now you're tempting me to buy the full thing but use a different case for this PCB...

I don't know how much my legs would appreciate placing such a heavy keyboard on my lap for the entire time I'm on the couch!

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 10:39:42 »
Jeez. You're adding a lot of features up there o__o hopefully you don't bite off more than you can chew! Also now you're tempting me to buy the full thing but use a different case for this PCB...

I don't know how much my legs would appreciate placing such a heavy keyboard on my lap for the entire time I'm on the couch!

Actually, most of these features (the exception being audio) were planned from the get-go. The case was designed specifically to house all of the hardware. I just wasn't sure if there would be enough demand to justify the economies of scale for each component, but the interest check solidified that.

That said, there aren't currently any plans to offer the internal bits as a standalone option. I don'the believe there is a case avaliable with the accommodations for the hardware, save the Bluetooth.

As far as the weight goes, I have been considering a hot swappable weight. So if that feature comes to fruition, you could just take it out as needed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 June 2017, 10:46:35 by SpectreiiI »

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 11:07:12 »
oh I meant I'd buy the entire kit and use the case for one thing and the rest with another. So are you saying the case isn't going to be a standard 60% case? I think I'd still be in nonetheless.

I've filled in the IC so hopefully that helps!

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 11:27:29 »
oh I meant I'd buy the entire kit and use the case for one thing and the rest with another. So are you saying the case isn't going to be a standard 60% case? I think I'd still be in nonetheless.

I've filled in the IC so hopefully that helps!
It will fit any standard 60% PCB, It's just that it has extra allowances and mounting points for other non standard components that you wouldn't find in a standard 60% case.

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 11:42:59 »
mmm... I see. If I just have the USB hub and the bluetooth, I should be able to make cutouts in a case for the hub in a case and it should work right? Don't make me buy 1 full kit and a separate case  ;D ;D ;D

Offline ns90

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 12:05:56 »
Ok, this went from being a pretty cool case, to a ****ing awesome one pretty quickly.

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 22:35:25 »
Ok, this went from being a pretty cool case, to a ****ing awesome one pretty quickly.
Thank you. There is still much work to be done. I usually don't okay a design for production until I've run through at least a dozen full revisions. I'm currently procuring the components for the new options, and I am happy to report that they are surprisingly cost effective. Thanks for the support.  :)

Offline ns90

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 22:43:07 »
Thank you. There is still much work to be done. I usually don't okay a design for production until I've run through at least a dozen full revisions. I'm currently procuring the components for the new options, and I am happy to report that they are surprisingly cost effective. Thanks for the support.  :)

By all means, take your time. It definitely seems like what you've got planned is pretty ambitious, but I'd like to see it happen, and subsequently buy one  :D

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
Re: [IC] Scribe 6-Series (60%): UPDATE: v.3 Case revision
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 02:48:24 »
Scribe me up!

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 06:44:57 »
Just filled out the IC form. I love the Scribe case design. I prefer a 40% edition of this case. I suggested my 40% case interest in the comments section. Well, hope all goes well w/ your GB (& hope a 40% case shows up too🖖)!

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 08:09:28 »
Just filled out the IC form. I love the Scribe case design. I prefer a 40% edition of this case. I suggested my 40% case interest in the comments section. Well, hope all goes well w/ your GB (& hope a 40% case shows up too🖖)!
Scribe 4, 8, and 9 series are planned.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 08:11:47 »
Scribe 4, 8, and 9 series are planned.
Yes!!!!!!!, thanks, I'll be on the lookout. BTW, I love that yellowish gold case color too!

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 09:33:12 »

By top mounted, do you mean that the plate mounts to a top case plate, or do you mean that the plate is literally integrated into the top of the case?

Yes! The plate would attach to the top of the case, not the bottom of the case like a standard Pok3r, for example.

Overall, the case would be a 4 (4 if you decide to use a weight) part Case, which consists of the top, bottom, plate and weight.

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 09:59:30 »

Yes! The plate would attach to the top of the case, not the bottom of the case like a standard Pok3r, for example.

Overall, the case would be a 4 (4 if you decide to use a weight) part Case, which consists of the top, bottom, plate and weight.
Though I have yet to split the model, the case is in fact designed in exactly this fashion. You can choose to top mount or bottom mount. In addition, there will be o-ring groves cut into the mating surface of the upper and lower bodies which will allow you to isolate key actuation resonance (sound dampening) as well as offering this ability to soften  the bottom-out compression and shock. Depending on the hardness and thickness of the o-rings selected, coupled with the torque of the screws, a high range of adjustability should be possible. The o-rings will be standard sized too, so you can order them anywhere you want.

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 16:29:15 »
holy mother of me..!

I'm in  :o

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 17 June 2017, 02:42:58 »
holy mother of me..!

I'm in  :o
Thanks for the support :)

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
Re: [IC] Scribe 6-Series (60%): UPDATE: 6/17 Keycaps, Slidebar Rendered
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 17 June 2017, 17:18:06 »
Wow, I honestly thought there would be more opinions on the caps, or any for that matter  :p
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 June 2017, 17:45:59 by SpectreiiI »

Offline ns90

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 17 June 2017, 22:32:29 »
Wow, I honestly thought there would be more opinions on the caps, or any for that matter  :p

The caps are nice. The colors are simple, but still interesting. I'm always happy to see icon mods, although it seems like the solids barbs on the arrows for the Tab, Esc, and Return keys feel a bit off compared to the generally thinner lines on the other icons. I personally don't like front-printed legends, especially if I'm going to be using a different layout, but I may be in the minority there.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 10:27:38 »
My 2 cents on the caps - love the profile, love the icon mods, not super keen on the colours. Classic colourway, can't fault you for going with it if you do because you can't go wrong with it; I just feel like it might be a bit of a missed opportunity to explore MT3 further, Matteo's first run was also beige/grey and red for the better part, maybe it would be cool to see something different here.

Or not, up to you of course and as said, can't go wrong with classic beige.