Author Topic: [IC] GMK Harvest | GB Period Over  (Read 88054 times)

Offline Nutty

• Twitch
[IC] GMK Harvest | GB Period Over
« on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 14:28:28 »

Hello Geekhack!
My name is Nutty/Jordan and today I would like to introduce a project that I've been working on:

GMK Harvest

This is a relaxed fall themed set taking place in a more medieval setting. Major aspects of the set are focused around the harvesting of crops and fruit along with the added themes of trading wares such as animal pelts and drinking in a tavern. The set also has some inspiration from Japanese Mythology of Inari Ookami, who is the god of harvest and is depicted as a fox.

GB Dates, Vendors, and Pricing
8/1 - 8/31 2021

Latin Base $135
Hiragana Base $135
Novelties $50
Spacebars $35
40’s $45

Deskmats $20
RAMA $56

Colorway
RAL 060 50 50 as the mod cap color to match that of wheat or a fox.
RAL 080 90 10 is a light tan, almost white, which pairs well as an alpha color.
RAL 030 40 60 is a rich and vibrant red that resembles an apple.

Kits
This being my first set, I may have some issues with kitting. I have had some help and done a bit of research and I believe that I offered a substantial amount to the majority.

Latin Base - Harvest
Hiragana Base - Inari (稲荷)
Novelties - Traveling Merchant
Spacebars - Wheat Fields
40's - Pups

Deskmats
Bountiful Harvest - illustrated by TomTC
Quiet Tavern - illustrated by TomTC

Collab x Harvest

Renders
Sunsetter
Iron165
Fjell
TGR Jane

Please fill out my IC Form to help me gauge interest as well as for any criticism, changes, suggestions, or feedback.
Additionally, if you're interested, I do have a Discord if you join, just go into the rules and roles and react to the keyboard role.

Special Thanks
With this being my first key cap set I had so many wonderful people help me through this project.
Xerpocalypse - Great friend who was a huge help with leading me in the right directions and introducing me to other members in community.
OneCreativeMind - A super nice person I had the pleasure to work with when designing my novelties.
trifelife - Nice friend who did with the calligraphy in the banner.
Bachoo - Great communication and was friendly while working on renders, and they turned out great.

Signature
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=109421.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/FRzSaVP.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 September 2021, 21:23:08 by Nutty »

Offline Nutty

• Twitch
Re: [IC] GMK Harvest
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 14:28:56 »
To Do:
Feedback
Deskmats
Collab/Artisan
Get Vendor
Pricing
Dates
GB

Update Log:
11/4/2020 - Fixed some kitting issues. In base kit removed a set of Pg Up and Pg Dn. Added Yen sign to hiragana kit, added mod color |\, and added extra tab. Added 1.75u concave in spacebars kit. Added 1.25 tab in the 40% kit.
11/14/2020 - Gave an update to the vendors/proxies so far.
11/17/2020 - Added the deskmat mat design Bountiful Harvest.
11/20/2020 - Added the deskmat mat design Quiet Tavern.
11/21/2020 - Got a proxy/vendor for the Southeast Asia region.
12/01/2020 - Made some changes with the novelties. Removed some keys to cut cost while adding new designs for r4.
12/14/2020 - Update to novelties. Removed the wagon wheel, added pairs of 1u, 1.25u, and 1.5u. Included spacebars in 40's kit.
12/17/2020 - Got an NA vendor. Secured GB slot for August 2021.
12/18/2020 - Kit updates. Removed 4€ from base kit. Added 半角/全角, |\む¥, and ><ろ. Changed the を and ー to full width. Added two 3u c to the spacebar kit. A lot of revisions to 40's kit.
1/04/2021 - Kit updates. On base kits removed extra 1u Ctrl, added r3 PgUp and r4 PgDn. Changed Hiragana alt alpha kit to a Hiragana base kit. On Hiragana kit fixed missing ¥ on r3 \| and added r1 1u `~ー. On spacebars kit added accent color spacebars in 6.25u and 7u. 40's kits minimized. Additional thanks to konstantin and others in the 40's discord for this break down of coverage.
2/10/2021 - Still working on kitting, but in order to reach preferred pricing ISO-UK will be getting switched for generic ISO. Collab for keyboard sleeves announced with Mechfashion.
3/09/2021 - RAMA WORKS collab announced with renders of the design. Asero Foundry collab announced, in the works. Dealing with licensing stuff so no pricings yet or finalized kits. May have to drop certain novelties.
3/20/2021 - Collab with shirouu.caps added.
3/27/2021 - Collab with rtg_caps added.
3/31/2021 - Basekeys added as vendor in Japan.
4/02/2021 - Failed to get licensing. Renamed set. Placeholder for banner art. Rewrote flavor text to strictly a fall and harvest themed set with no other inspiration. Removed S and W keys from novelties kit. Deskmat of field switched to the version with no head peeking out among the wheat. Dealing with Mechfashion collab.
5/21/2021 - Fox character is back on the deskmat.
6/26/2021 - MelonKeys aritsan collab added.
7/09/2021 - Keebstuff cable collab added.
7/13/2021 - Finally fixed scuffed banner art.
7/27/2021 - Pricing announced. MelonKeys collab. Keebstuff cable collab.
7/27/2021 - Asero Foundry collab key render added.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 July 2021, 11:07:49 by Nutty »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: [IC] GMK Wise Wolf
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 14:29:33 »
YOooooooo

very nice
I love Elzy

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 14:30:54 »
please consider ¥ on pipe

Offline self

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 14:32:52 »
Wooooow
This is amazing!! Good luck!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 14:33:47 »
Omg I love Holo

ne spice and wolf S3 avail T-T

that said, the kitting looks alright, though I'd probably remove some keys like
- Pg Up R3
- Pg Dn R4
- 1.5u Supers R4
- 2u Shift R4
for a bit of savings

And yes, yen sign on pipe please.

Other than that, definitely in my considerations. I'll post more if I get any more ideas (would suggest R5 bottom row but it'd probably get pricey)

Offline GreatKingNorann

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 14:34:21 »
Looking forward to the GB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Xerpocalypse

• (◡ ‿ ◡ )
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 14:34:43 »
Yo this is mad cute

yes Jordan pls add ¥ on both pipe keys
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 November 2020, 14:37:45 by Xerpocalypse »

Offline UXEN

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 14:36:20 »
Very nice!

Offline yogidrink

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 14:36:45 »
Very naisu

Offline dandruff

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 14:37:08 »
Only real issue I can see right now is that the colorway is the same as another set in IC : JTK space camp, but I love the theme and novelties! Great job!

Offline Raravin

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 14:38:00 »
Yo I like it!

Offline Bachoo

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 14:40:05 »
Very nice  :thumb:

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 14:40:32 »
Only real issue I can see right now is that the colorway is the same as another set in IC : JTK space camp, but I love the theme and novelties! Great job!

GMK > JTK :)

but all in all, I think the themes are far different and the novelties really make this set.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 14:45:24 »

Themes and colors are very different imo, Space Camp's mods look more brown than orange, where as this sets mods are close to a burnt orange color. I definitely like the look of this one, my only complaint would be the S, and W novelties, to me they don't really fit in with the rest of the novelties. But that could just be me, I might be in for Base Kit when this runs!
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 November 2020, 15:02:20 by Tyson »

Offline pwade3

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 15:10:32 »
Just some kitting thoughts:

Add an extra tab to your hiragana kit, it adds some flexibility so in theory someone can buy it and fill 2 different boards (e.g. 1 tsangan style, 1 standard style). Additionally, since you've got a mod colored ~` you might as well add a mod colored |\ key too.

For base, going with full UK iso, the extra 1.5u supers, 2u shift, and 2x1u ctrl/alt is making it pretty thicc and might push pricing.

Offline FaIIen

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 15:15:43 »
Why do you must forsake me like this...

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 15:24:53 »
rEsErVeD!!1!11

REEEEsErVed@@@!!!111!1

reserverserverservesrsersvers

Offline RyuDragoon

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 15:40:48 »
This reminds me of one of my favorite reddit posts...

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/33dxxq/z/cqk87rp

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 15:43:16 »
Just some kitting thoughts:

Add an extra tab to your hiragana kit, it adds some flexibility so in theory someone can buy it and fill 2 different boards (e.g. 1 tsangan style, 1 standard style).
yes please

Offline Esheu2

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 15:59:38 »
yes
Ojou

Offline break

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 16:09:17 »
Congratulations on this IC! Seems there's a lot of love for this set in thread, so I hope getting it to GB is a straightforward process for you and others.

That said, I do find it challenging to overlook similarities between this and Space Camp. One of these color palettes belongs to JTK Space Camp: MARS. The other is GMK Wise Wolf.

It doesn't take a lot of effort to figure out which is which, because we've been handed all six swatches across both ICs, but you could likely swap novelties or accents from one onto the other with almost zero impact to the on-desk aesthetic.

It really seems like the similarity is unintentional. I don't mean to call you out!! I guess my Q is to the long-time participants of the community in thread. Folks seem to love both sets, and designers have put lots of effort into both. They seem to have emerged independently.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 November 2020, 16:28:04 by break »

Offline Nutty

• Twitch
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 16:13:19 »
WOW! Thank you all for the well received immediate feedback and support. This is my first set and I'm honestly quite giddy right now seeing it all. Really rewarding to see all this from almost a years worth of planning. From what I have seen so far, it seems I have a few kinks to fix mostly with kitting.

Offline low_key_keyboards

• I like to make custom keyboard cases.
    • Low Key Keyboards
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 16:22:08 »
Oh man I loved this series!

It's about time a set was themed on this.

Can there be more 1.25U and 1.5U novelties with the same 1U art?

For example, more range of apple novelty keycap sizes?

Offline Xerpocalypse

• (◡ ‿ ◡ )
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 16:26:48 »
Congratulations on this IC! Seems there's a lot of love for this set in thread, so I hope getting it to GB is a straightforward process for you and others.

That said, I do find it challenging to overlook similarities between this and Space Camp. One of these color palettes belongs to JTK Space Camp: MARS. The other is GMK Wise Wolf.

Show Image

Show Image

It doesn't take a lot of effort to figure out which is which, because we've been handed all six swatches across both ICs, but you could likely swap novelties or accents from one onto the other with almost zero impact to the on-desk aesthetic.

It really seems like the similarity is unintentional. I don't mean to call you out!! I guess my Q is to the long-time participants of the community in thread. Folks seem to love both sets, and designers have put lots of effort into both. They seem to have emerged independently. So...now what?

Here's a great example of another situation that was vaguely similar:

GMK Demon Sword was criticized a lot for looking like GMK Rudy. Raravin was also pressured heavily by Warren to change his colors even though Rudy's GB was long over, but ended up adding hiragana to the base kit to differentiate it, even though he didn't really want to.

Demon Sword reached MOQ and exceeded it handily.  IIRC his pre-extras numbers were better than Rudy.

These sets can coexist too.

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 16:27:36 »

Show Image

Show Image

It really seems like the similarity is unintentional. I don't mean to call you out!! I guess my Q is to the long-time participants of the community in thread. Folks seem to love both sets, and designers have put lots of effort into both. They seem to have emerged independently. So...now what?

While I am not really a fan of the color scheme of either... I did initially think this set was a rebrand of something I had seen before (which turns out to be Space Camp). While these may have been derived individually, it will set an interesting precedent should they both run. Could set the tone that similarities can be ignored in today's market.

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 16:46:31 »
Please consider adding 1.25u Fn key to the base kit as it's widely used in TKL, full size keyboard and many 65% layouts

Offline Shinigamii

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 16:47:24 »
Beautiful set, would love to see this become successful! Will definitely be picking up a set when the time comes

Offline Auracity

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 16:54:39 »
Damn I **** with this hard

Offline Nutty

• Twitch
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 17:14:11 »
So I'd like to additionally address the comparison made to another set. I just learned about the other set today. While there are similarities color, it seems they have different values for Hue, Lightness, and Chroma, especially since Space Camp uses Pantone colors. Though, I don't have a pantone book to compare physical samples, only RAL. I have been working on this set for quite some time before the other IC was posted. Also I waited over 14 weeks in a render queue with someone else before Bachoo picked up my request and saved me from my over 14 week wait. If you want to see where I got my inspiration from enjoy this picture :)

Offline BapoDonu

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 17:21:21 »
So I'd like to additionally address the comparison made to another set. I just learned about the other set today. While there are similarities color, it seems they have different values for Hue, Lightness, and Chroma, especially since Space Camp uses Pantone colors. Though, I don't have a pantone book to compare physical samples, only RAL. I have been working on this set for quite some time before the other IC was posted. Also I waited over 14 weeks in a render queue with someone else before Bachoo picked up my request and saved me from my over 14 week wait. If you want to see where I got my inspiration from enjoy this picture :)
Show Image

Can we have the pic without the beige on the left

Offline illusixn

• Formerly illusixn
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 17:38:19 »
Show Image

I could be wrong here, but I think most people would have believed you even if the scantily clothed figurines hadn't been included in your photo.

I am a fan of the colors tho, glwic

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 17:46:42 »
i love buying keycap sets based on a character the runner has most definitely jerked off to

Offline despairsray

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 18:38:14 »
Oh ****. 100% in on this.

Offline Janoma

• certified nerd
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 18:47:13 »

I'm sorry, but these are the exact same.

I get that they are different in theme, but at the same time, these sets cannot run at the same time.

Rudy and Demon Sword were different, they have different accents and alpha colors, which sets them apart from each other. 

Offline Traveler

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 19:25:29 »
I love Spice & Wolf. Best of luck with this set; I'll be keeping a close eye on it. Unfortunately I agree that in it's current for it does look waaay too much like Space Camp. But that's what ICs are for.

Offline jack47

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 19:41:25 »
holo is best girl

Offline manaorme

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 19:42:40 »
Please consider Rama art.
Red alu, apple design, filled with white enamel paint.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 November 2020, 22:17:16 by manaorme »

Offline Xerpocalypse

• (◡ ‿ ◡ )
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 20:12:32 »
Show Image

I get that they are different in theme, but at the same time, these sets cannot run at the same time.

Rudy and Demon Sword were different, they have different accents and alpha colors, which sets them apart from each other.

lol

Offline Janoma

• certified nerd
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 20:22:44 »
Show Image

Show Image

lol

I don't see your point here. Space Camp is an original color scheme that is SIMILAR to classic sets. Saying this and space camp are more different than space camp and lets say, Red Alert, is not correct.

Offline pool

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 22:23:19 »
Show Image

I may be wrong but this image didn't seem necessary to post, lol

Offline Shinigamii

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 22:46:23 »
I don't see why similar color ways are such a big deal, they clearly have different inspirations but were just made around the same time.  They also are targeting different markets considering this is directly inspired by an anime character.  If similar colorways means more people can get sets that they like, and are of the based on something they like, the better for the consumers since this is a hobby that most of us are in for fun. 

Offline lelasdfasdf

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 01:18:40 »

Show Image

Show Image

It really seems like the similarity is unintentional. I don't mean to call you out!! I guess my Q is to the long-time participants of the community in thread. Folks seem to love both sets, and designers have put lots of effort into both. They seem to have emerged independently.

So both sets should run if they get the vendor support and if one of them doesn't make MOQ, then it doesn't make MOQ. If both of them don't make MOQ, both of them don't make MOQ. This is a creator's industry. Copying your youtube format is completely fine. Copying your twitch format is completely fine. And seriously, if the only thing that makes the set unique is the colorway, really should reconsider how much work is put into the set. Doesn't take a lot of time to put colors into KLE and buy some renders.

Don't want your colors taken? Go from IC -> GB -> Production quicker. Just like how keyboards are doing now. Look at D65 and Vega65. In-stock and ready to ship far before any GB is done. Sell -> Ship faster if one wants to guarantee the spot. I could see the issue if someone was copying novelties like with gmk sumi. BUT even then, it's not like these sets have any proper IP usage. If you're gonna go licensed, go licensed. Otherwise, stop trying to split hairs and pretend to have ownership to colors lmao.

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 02:00:49 »
Damn this guy was getting dumped on for being 'similar to GMK Delta': https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=109334.0

yet look at the support here... not saying that this set isn't good, but I wish GH were not so rude to the other guy!

Offline hark

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 02:19:52 »
Damn this guy was getting dumped on for being 'similar to GMK Delta': https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=109334.0

yet look at the support here... not saying that this set isn't good, but I wish GH were not so rude to the other guy!

You're missing the point as to why that post was getting 'dumped' on. It was primarily not because it was similar to Delta, but because it was deemed low effort, without proper renders, kits, or actual physical colours such as Pantone or RAL colours. This on the other hand has proper renders, kits, and RAL colours. Delta has also already run while Space Camp is still in IC iirc.

Offline Raravin

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 06:52:43 »
I dont see an issue, different inspirations. Sometimes cant  help cause it does match the inspiration. So many colorways go together that look good if we hate on everything that is similar we will run out of keysets.

Offline huey

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 07:25:39 »
It's unfortunate that you spent so much time creating this idea/IC, and how it so closely overlaps with Space Camp seems to be a coincidence. It's a shame.

But I do not think we, at large, should allow two sets that are nearly identical (without pulling out RAL/Pantone charts) to run - regardless of their manufacture.
It's not indicative of how the "respect system" we have unspokenly agreed upon, in this hobby, should operate.

Offline Bunn3y

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 07:56:48 »
This looks very pretty. Definitely keeping an eye out. GLWIC!
Typing on: Switchplate iiA Sanction TKL - Gateron X (51.5g Gon springs) - full alu - GMK HFO

Collection: Ivery Praxis || HHKB Pro 2 || JTD.Works Ovinnik || Realforce R1 87u || Switchplate iiA Sanction

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 09:58:45 »
Outstanding - 100% in!

Gotta say though... missed opportunity to call it "GMK Korbo" =P

Offline Ace_Archer

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 10:13:02 »
I Love this! I would definitely build a board specifically for this set.