Author Topic: Replica Olivetti Typewriter Poster  (Read 4477 times)

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
Replica Olivetti Typewriter Poster
« on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 09:13:17 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:20:18 by alienman82 »

Offline 1391406

Re: Replica Olivetti Typewriter Poster
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 20:04:53 »
Cool sofa.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 18:10:38 »
The experience I've made with Olivetti typewriters wasn't that good really. They are lower quality then many of the competing brands at the time (especially against the German machines, no comparison), and didn't really offered anything new either. They are nicely designed and offer some comfort if use, and many of their portables are very compact too while offering many of the features of larger machines, but they just don't last, and don't age very well. For example the famous Lettera 22's and 32's. The paint job is terrible and they are completely made of injection molded zinc-aluminium stuff, I think. Its very brittle and the entire machine is constructed out of moulded and sheet metal. Nearly all I've had the rubber was bad and the feet had broken off. Also the cases are incredibly cheap, the zipper is broken nearly on all of them. I haven't really made much experience with the older machines tho.

That being said, they are still nice and convenient to use, which is why they are still so popular.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 June 2016, 18:12:33 by Olumin »

Offline thecolorblind1

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 06:40:58 »
I've never typed on an Olivetti, but I really like this. I've been slowly adding artwork to my new house and this is tempting to get for the office. Price isn't bad either!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 18:57:15 »
The experience I've made with Olivetti typewriters wasn't that good really. They are lower quality then many of the competing brands at the time (especially against the German machines, no comparison), and didn't really offered anything new either. They are nicely designed and offer some comfort if use, and many of their portables are very compact too while offering many of the features of larger machines, but they just don't last, and don't age very well. For example the famous Lettera 22's and 32's. The paint job is terrible and they are completely made of injection molded zinc-aluminium stuff, I think. Its very brittle and the entire machine is constructed out of moulded and sheet metal. Nearly all I've had the rubber was bad and the feet had broken off. Also the cases are incredibly cheap, the zipper is broken nearly on all of them. I haven't really made much experience with the older machines tho... That being said, they are still nice and convenient to use, which is why they are still so popular.

I love the hyperfocused types of replies you see here. (I post enough myself.)

In this case, though, maybe the OP was just referring to the poster. After all, one's not actually required to own or use an Olivetti, or any other particular kind of anything, to appreciate vintage marketing art.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 18:58:22 »
I'm just saying.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 19:04:31 »
Cool sofa.

Indeed!

Speaking of the art, this seems like an early example of subliminal advertising—the use of suggestive symbolism to stimulate the viewer's unconscious mind. Consider how the product's positioned relative to the attractive young woman, and how unusually wide they made her dress, creating the effect that she's extending around it:

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 19:40:19 »
I actually think this is bad ass.

I wonder what the quality is like.

I would totally put that above my desk.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 05:57:23 »
That's right—they've actually turned a typewriter into a squatty, key-festooned mechanical penis. Leave it to the Italians to pioneer in that sort of area, huh?

I'd enjoy having it over my desk just for its utterly non-sequitur quality. It'd be great next to a large papier-maché dancing tomato in tophat and tails.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 11:23:25 »
Call me crazy but the person depicted in the poster just looks really excited about this (probably) new typewriter in front of her.

I think I want to eat the couch, that mustard color is really making me hungry.