Author Topic: Down the Rabbit Hole! New to GeekHack and looking to develop a keycap set!  (Read 4156 times)

Offline Ndwoon

HI all!

I'm Ndwoon, I've been in the hobby for a little over a year now with four boards made. I'm a tinkerer at heart, started with Bionicles, then moved to gundam/gunpla and have found myself here. Building is a joy, modding is very theraputic and now I find myself learning how to use blender, keyboard layout editor and researching [IC] and the keycap manufacturing process. Why? Because I am now in the works of a passion project! I'm on GeekHack to get feedback, learn, and possibly get this set up and running. Currently in the works of a Gengar (pokemon) themed set that focuses more on the colour scheme and not as much on the legends, they're still there; but, they're minimal as to not draw the attention away from the set as a whole.

A little about my keyboard journey, I started with an ID80 at the start of the pandemic as a budget option to the hobby, kitted out with gateron milky yellows and a cherry profile set from Akko. I fell in love with the building and modding process and have since got the ID80 sounding how I want it for a fixed plate board. From that, I went thrifting a few times and snagged two 60% keebs for just under 6$ each which I used to teach myself how to solder/desolder, penny mod, chisel out plastic supports and sand down the inside case so that things sit better or different. One of those just has lubed red switches that came with it and the basic shine through keycaps it had to for a true budget experience, the second has some doubleshot abs keycaps from aliexpress and some diced fruit peach switches that I love. My newest board is a Freebird Tkl that I splurged and got oil kings for, break modded, poly filled and tape modded for a more muted sound which I've grown to love over the Thocks I chased at with my first board. I'm currently waiting on my Jris65.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: Down the Rabbit Hole! New to GeekHack and looking to develop a keycap set!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 February 2023, 10:13:29 »
Welcome to geekhack!! Hope you enjoy your time here, and I look forward to seeing what you end up creating! :)