Author Topic: 1987 1390120 IBM Model M keyboard missing shift key, spring damage.  (Read 13116 times)

Offline Maledicted

Here's a relatively fine specimen of a Model M if anybody is interested. A 1390120 Model M at the ripe old age of 33.

It is missing the left shift, and the spring for it looks a bit jacked up, but it is in great shape otherwise.

The current price is only $24.99, with $9.40 for shipping in the U.S.

Offline funkmon

Re: 1987 1390120 IBM Model M keyboard missing shift key, spring damage.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 16:30:57 »
Great deal for someone who knows what he's doing. I put a bid on it, but it's below $30 because I'm pretty sure I'll ruin the board if I try to fix that. I do have spare springs and flippers lying around though for no reason. I'd likely just drop a shift key in the hole though because I never even use the left shift anyway.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 16:56:58 »
Great deal for someone who knows what he's doing. I put a bid on it, but it's below $30 because I'm pretty sure I'll ruin the board if I try to fix that. I do have spare springs and flippers lying around though for no reason. I'd likely just drop a shift key in the hole though because I never even use the left shift anyway.

I don't know that I should give tips to my potential competitors in keyboard auctions, but that's not the best way to get a good price in an auction. This is the Great Finds section though after-all, right? What you do is wait until the last 15-30 seconds and bid your maximum price. That keeps the price low until the very end, and then somebody needs to outbid your max to win the auction.

It would be petty hard to break. Have you got any narrow needle nose pliers? When I'm lazy, I reseat the springs with them. You could pry off the old one, and carefully seat another with the pliers. If the spring doesn't sit just the way it should (as you probably know) you can grasp the spring with the pliers a bit higher than the stem it mounts on in order to press it on a bit more firmly/uniformly, sort of using the spring's tension itself.

I should note that it also looks like this doesn't come with the SDL cable, but that means someone could just grab one of the USB ones, out of convenience.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 21:26:20 »
Nah I'm way too lazy for that crap. I just set it and forget it like Ronco, and hope it works out. It's part of the reason I offer my commission programme. I owe you $5 for that NMB by the way. Haha