Author Topic: About Backlit Keycaps  (Read 3642 times)

Offline typo

About Backlit Keycaps
« on: Sat, 28 March 2020, 10:56:43 »
It seems the desired property of backlit keycaps is the exact opposite of those for actual typing. Thin walled, for allowing the maximum light to shine through. They will most usually be double shot ABS or PBT. I actually find around 1mm thickness is best. very contradictory to what one would desire for typing. However Tai Hao came up with a novel idea. The top and bottom walls are much thinner than the left and right. The top and bottom being about 1mm and the left nd right being about 1.5mm. However their QC is poor. Often they can deviate to as much as .8mm and 1.6mm. So they run the gamut overall from 1.4 to 1.5mm. Some claim to be 1,5mm but very few. There is a $12 set on Amazon claiming to be 1.8mm. Although every review commented they were "thin". Go figure. I vastly prefer that they shall be PBT however. Unfortunately I am pretty sure this arena is relegated to 1.4mm maximum in reality. Of course I am well aware if I forgo the backlighting I can obtain much better caps, and I have already done so.  My question is: are there any caps effectively translucent which are 1.5mm or greater? Thank you

Offline typo

Re: About Backlit Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 02:19:07 »
Was looking for thicker backlit PBT Doubleshot caps. No one knows? I would be really happy if I could get at least 1.5mm. none of this .8mm pingy junk. Above was not so much of a lesson as it was a statement. Though it may seem. Thank you

Offline longford

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 15:12:53 »
+1.

About to get me some tai ho backlit to dress up my new alt..

Offline typo

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 23:32:50 »
See new PM. You will be very happy :)

I thought you got a fully built Alt? That is the best deal. The fully built Alt for $250 is a much better deal than the bare bones for $220. Do the math LOL. It is okay though. If you got the barebones you had fun putting it together.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 09:23:41 »
Depends on the version of the ALT as there are two variations of it.  IMO if you're going to spend that much might as well buy a kit from a GB or KBDFans.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 20:50:55 »
I'm generally not a fan of shine through caps, however, I bought the steel series apex pro to try out the neat switches intending to swap out the caps. However, I ended up loving the look and feel so much that I kept them. Only time that's ever happened.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 23:19:51 »
The top and bottom walls are much thinner than the left and right. The top and bottom being about 1mm and the left nd right being about 1.5mm. However their QC is poor. Often they can deviate to as much as .8mm and 1.6mm.

Generally with injection molding you try to have uniform wall thicknesses, or you run into issues with uneven cooling which leads to warping and contraction.