Author Topic: Monitors suddenly goes black  (Read 15964 times)

Offline Naweo

Monitors suddenly goes black
« on: Thu, 08 July 2021, 05:58:10 »
Hey Geeks,

After scouring the internet for a while, I am suspecting a bad PSU and/or too-much consumption of power from one power outlet causes this issue.

The PC is a windows 10, 3070 GPU and newest 10k intel CPU, on windows 10.

I have a 4 monitor quad setup (2 of which are 4k) and every now and then, the monitors just go black, but sound and such is still on.

I do not see any errors under "manage PC"

I have tried to plug min laptops onto another power outlet, and I figured I may need to do the same with some of the monitors.

ALL four monitors goes black at the same time.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Offline yui

Re: Monitors suddenly goes black
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 01:47:02 »
if only one or the oldest would do that on their own timing i would have suspected bad caps in the screen psu (start like that and end up blowing the internal fuse, fixed 4 screens with this exact problem), the fact that all 4 go black at once would steer me towards windows/drivers issues, hopefully, or dying GPU, or if you have everything plugged into the same socket, maybe, very very unlikely when the pc spikes in consumption (what the PSU should smooths, but cheap psu may not) it could create a mini localized brown out and your screens could crash (but then again their PSU should absorb it and not crash) so that would indicate you got some very cheap screens with bad PSU, a bad PSU in your PC and a bad powerstrip with too high resistance, so very unlikely.(if you plainly drew too much power from the wall your fuse/breaker should pop, so you would know, although if it is that change that powerstrip, if it has sufficient resistance to cause a localized brown out it could well also catch your house on fire with less sensitive equipment, )

TL;DR: i would reinstall drivers, then windows, then if you can check with and other GPU and only then worry about the mains power
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 06:43:32 »
Is this:
1 laptop/desktop with 4 external screens
1 laptop screen and 3 external screens
2 laptops with one external each

I need clearer understanding of the setup, also what type of cables you're using to each monitor. Could be driver, power or cables.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Stompy

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 07:12:45 »
Silly one, but I had this problem occasionally, fixed it by turning off slideshow backgrounds. I had a folder of wallpapers I was cycling through, and something about my setup didn't like it when it changed.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 06 August 2021, 15:26:59 »
Hello, its a PC setup with 4 monitors. Strong corsair 850 PSU and the PC is less than 5 months from newly built.

Will try to update drivers.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 02:46:55 »
It keeps happenning frequently again.

It usually happens right after turning on PC, and all 4 monitors goes "No signal detected" and I am forced to restart.

Any thoughts?

I did update nvidia drivers

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 03:15:53 »
Free fixes...
Try fewer screens, swap cables, see if there is a firmware or driver available from the manufacturers (screens have drivers and firmware, too!).

More screens can cause all sorts of weird things, 2 screens on my Intel gpu works fine, but if I add a third I can't see anything until the OS reaches desktop. Not even bios shows up. Disconnect one screen everything's fine. On my 1070, no issues with 3 screens.

Non free possibilities...
Your cables may be garbage and messing up the frequency/interference or your GPU may not like that many screens going through those specific ports, if you have any adapters, swap one cable to a different type port and see what it does.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 07:37:33 »

Your cables may be garbage

Mostly off-topic, but how does a cable that has worked fine for 2 years suddenly stop working properly? There are no moving parts and they seem to be completely static.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 08:55:05 »

Your cables may be garbage

Mostly off-topic, but how does a cable that has worked fine for 2 years suddenly stop working properly? There are no moving parts and they seem to be completely static.

OXIDATION

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 20:07:24 »
OXIDATION

and
Vibration leading to breaks
New outside interference
Component drift may finally reach a point all of the above reaches critical mass.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Naweo

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 12 September 2021, 02:26:09 »
None of the cables are the issue, as all monitors go black and none of them return to normal use once one monitor is supposedly blacked out as a result of the issue.

I still suspect a graphics / power issue

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 12 September 2021, 03:23:45 »
"All go black at the same time"
Exactly what mine did by simply having 1 too many screens and when I had one bad cable. They all feed from the same place. Try fewer screens, see if that helps, then reconnect until you see a problem. At least then you will have narrowed it down a little.

Ever wonder why the first things techs INSIST customers do is to check the cables and restart... Because everyone just assumes things are fine and don;t do it themselves. Don't rule things out without actually checking because otherwise you may just run around in circles looking for a problem in the wrong place.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 September 2021, 03:29:33 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Naweo

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 07 October 2021, 03:33:03 »
I got some more data, as it only happens every 2 or 3 days or so:

1. It ONLY happens right after starting my computer. If my computer has succesfully been turned on for more than 1 hour, it never happens.
2. Turning the computer to sleep mode, then on, the issue persists and the screens do not even turn on.

Is this still potentially a faulty cable?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 07 October 2021, 04:08:05 »
Sounds like a sleep issue.

This wouldn't happen to be DisplayPort?
I recently found it that while every other port, even when in standby or off would still show in the computer, on displayport when the screen goes in standby it's like disconnecting the cable.  Why did they make it this way, I have no idea but it's caused me and others a LOT of issues for me since I use only one screen for gaming and two for everything else. That other screen goes blank and wipes out all my icons and everything and has issues waking (but cold boots fine). The solution I took was to leave my primary on DisplayPort and my secondary on HDMI so it remained connected.

You might get away with using a displayport to dmi, and if needed converting back, since Displayport supports HDMI but no guarantees that fixes it.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Naweo

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 07 October 2021, 04:13:14 »
I have 4 monitors, 2 on displayport and 2 on HDMI.

YOu are telling me that using sleep function creates this problem?

I have to note, the issue happens also after a normal restart but within 15 minutes of boot.

The setup has worked for months like this without issues, so it has to be an isolated issue.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 08 October 2021, 03:10:34 »
It's probably a driver issue regarding DisplayPort sleep.

Good connector, no idea why they broke standards that have stood for decades.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Naweo

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 08 October 2021, 04:11:57 »
Any idea how to solve those driver issues?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 08 October 2021, 04:18:19 »
Try older or newer.
Talk to the manufacturer?

Windows is reaching a point where your options become more and more limited by the day.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Naweo

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 10 October 2021, 09:32:49 »
I will try to resolve this over time. In the meantime, would it be fine to just leave the computer open without using sleep/hibernate function to avoid this issue? Maybe find a way to just make screens dim or go black to save power, and not use sleep/hibernate function which I am addicted to.

I restart my PC every 5 to 7 days anyway.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 10 October 2021, 22:36:44 »
That's not really going to save much power at all.
Depending on monitor type it could still lead to faster burn it.

One thing you may want to try first is update and rest your motherboard bios and set Windows back to default power settings and see if that helps. While unlikely, I have seen it fix some off power issues in the past.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 10 October 2021, 23:03:19 »
it's very hard to burn in an lcd unless it's running dark colors and HOT.

it's very easy to burn in oled with static elements at above 100nits.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 10 October 2021, 23:28:53 »
Hard, not impossible.
Leaving it on 24/7 is a good start.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Naweo

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 11 October 2021, 01:50:05 »
That's not really going to save much power at all.
Depending on monitor type it could still lead to faster burn it.

One thing you may want to try first is update and rest your motherboard bios and set Windows back to default power settings and see if that helps. While unlikely, I have seen it fix some off power issues in the past.

I will try.

However, something is funny when computer "goes to sleep" by itself after X amount of time, and then actually using the start menu to set computer to sleep. Is there any difference? Because behaviour seems much better if computer has gone to sleep by the automatic power setting

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 11 October 2021, 22:38:16 »
However, something is funny when computer "goes to sleep" by itself after X amount of time, and then actually using the start menu to set computer to sleep. Is there any difference? Because behaviour seems much better if computer has gone to sleep by the automatic power setting

Spontaneous is almost always one of three things:
Cable (strange if it's multiple)
Monitor (strange if it's multiple)
Interference

Just went back and re-read this whole thing...
All together, this screams bad PSU or incompatible one. It almost sounds like the 3080 power issue Nvidia solved with a driver update shortly after launch. I don't know or remember the fine details but if I remember right certain PSUs and GPU combos had issues, even if high end, brand new and working perfectly fine when tested on other systems. People first blamed the capacitors on the cards but Nvidia made a driver change and it was cleaned up long ago supposedly but I wonder if your PSU just has more ripple than most and when the screen saver starts it's ramping up power and that's when the GPU dumps. I would ask if it does similar when you launch a game but if you're only gaming on one screen it may not trigger the problem.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Naweo

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 12 October 2021, 02:13:47 »
I am only gaming on one screen

Thank you btw for taking time and investment into solving this issue.

I have never had problems except for within 5 to 10 minutes of booting my computer.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 12 October 2021, 09:03:19 »
You're welcome.

Only in the first 5-10 minutes or pretty much never after?
If it's truly ONLY in that time it's software, something running delayed on boot.
Could be something in Windows boot or Windows performing a system check that triggers a fault, Windows indexes the drive around this time, especially if idle, a failing drive (or drive corruption) would most likely be found during indexing and yet may not be enough to trigger a S.M.A.R.T. failure warning (if you have it enabled in bios). It could also be something you inadvertently installed or picked up with something else (like a pirated copy). Regardless the only consistent thing in that time frame is delayed Windows system operations and delayed software starts/update checks. Again this is ONLY if it's consistently happening in that time frame and almost never outside that time frame Updates and indexing can and do accurr outside that time frame, but at odd intervals

I know it seems like this goes around in circles at times but that's sometimes how troubleshooting is, especially intermittent problems and when I can't be at the system and have to rely on someone else.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 12 October 2021, 09:27:21 »
I would've thrown that computer out the window and bought a new one.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 29 October 2021, 02:36:20 »
I made a new discovery. The monitors don't go black. The computer also freezes. Definitely a bigger crash issue at play.

I was riding fine for 10 days straight. Maybe because the room temperature got colder into the winter?

Yes, it is truly within the first 15 minutes of computer waking up. It will never do it if I just leave the computer on overnight.

There are advantages to me leaving my computer on overnight. How big of a power issue would that be? I would restart the computer every 5 to 7 days regularly and just live with the problem.

I am considering running my system 24/7 and just restarting every 5-7 days. I wonder what is the best way to save power. Dim screen brightness and use the "log out" function on so all screens turn black? Other than that, I think my PC might run 10x more power at night than normally, so it might up my  electricity cost by 2x or 3x. But that's fine to be honest.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 October 2021, 02:58:19 by Naweo »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 29 October 2021, 08:53:35 »
Temp could play a part in this, but it can also just be a change in your use pattern, and that extends all the way to what website you visit.

If if sleeps, not so big an issue, it should drop power draw down to 5-10watts, your screens at idle can actually use use more than the pc while sleeping. If you simply let it go idle and sleep the screens it can still idle at 80 watts or even more depending on what's in the system and how it's tuned. While not perfect by any means, but a simple equation is that 1watt running 24hours a day 365 days a year will cost $1 per year, so you can kind of figure your cost based on that but you will still need to know how many watts it's using at idle and sleep either by a Kill-a-watt, UPS with monitor or just research the parts themselves. Again, your screens are soaking more than you'd expect though (as can your audio).

The other issue is Windows.
It NEEDS a reboot once in a while, if you're a completely casual user, no gpu, just some browsing and Office, once a week is probably fine, but the fact that you're using so many screens tells me that's likely not the case.  And if you browse Reddit, oh boy... No, their website is a sh$t show and will decimate your system*.  I've never (even without Reddit) really been able to get more than a few days without a reboot to clear out the memory before I could tell something was not running as it should. I've seen people go months without and not see issues, but I could, the systems always run like garbage. Reboots are the biggest system tuning tool Windows has and I recommend people do it at least once a week at the longest, not the shortest.

*Reddit's front page and sections, how do I explain this... Each item shown is not just the item in the first post for each page, it loads the entire page and comments for each entry and auto loads/starts all videos and gifs. So as you scroll you're effectively loading more and more full pages and comments. Each video entry you see on the front page is like loading a page on Youtube, including comments.  And the poor programming doesn't stop there, it acts like it's creating a memory leak, possibly Java and possibly related to the compression algorithm they use to allow endless scroll (which needs to die!) and once it starts to drag down the system even closing the browser and reopening will not fully purge the cache of what it loaded and system speed will suffer as a result. Sometimes, if you catch it early enough it can revert some of it, but once you really see lag, odds are the only real fix is a system restart. Note this mostly applies to the desktop version in Chrome and Firefox, with only Mac being mostly exempt hence my suspicion about the cause. Other OS seem to deal with it better, as does Safari. Honestly, considering what it's doing, it's amazing it works as well as is does and the devs deserve respect for that, but whoever put them in this spot that this was the best solution needs to be fired for the decision.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 29 October 2021, 10:13:34 »
Get on Amazon, Purchase new computer and monitor.

When the order arrives,  Throw existing computer and monitor in the garbage.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 29 October 2021, 14:01:32 »
I will upgrade PC if it becomes a massive hazzle.

But I do not really plkay videogames, and most of my CPU and memory is below 20% load even after 5 days awake.

I suppose my PC + screens is more than 100 watts per hor in idle, but I have to leave my PC on 24/7 and deal with electricity costs if needs me. Its the only way.

Don't really seem to be able to fix.

Thanks for all help!

Offline Naweo

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 16 November 2021, 12:22:23 »
--- The issue now also happens when the PC is under load. So it seems to be something more hardware related, as i have crashed twice in 24 hours when PC is inside back 4 blood

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 16 November 2021, 19:21:59 »
Try removing the 3070.
You can daisy chain Displayport screens.

May have to cut refresh rates or even a screen, but try it for a few days and see if it happens without the GPU, at least then you can narrow it down some.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 16 November 2021, 20:17:49 »
make sure your cables are short and high quality.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 15:16:24 »
So far I am testing unplugging some of my monitors from the single power outlet from which I draw all my power.

If that doesn't work, I will try to remove the 3070. See if the issue then persists.

If it's just a cable issue, then why does all monitors go black? And computer kinda freezing up

Offline Naweo

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 22 November 2021, 02:32:50 »
make sure your cables are short and high quality.

The issue persisted even with other power outlet, but will test a bit more. Some of my cables are very long, and I do not trust them to be the highest quality. However, the actual computer freezes, so I wonder if the cables are only isolated to display, and not the actual PC freezing?

Nothing is overclocked either and I am not sure what to look for in event viewer

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 22 November 2021, 07:18:49 »
Nothing is overclocked either and I am not sure what to look for in event viewer

With today's motherboards,  STOCK is often a problem. Especially memory timings.

It may help to actually try to OC it and use fixed ratios. Manual timings.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 22 November 2021, 08:25:49 »

Some of my cables are very long

Electricity is tricky and finicky. You lose across every connection through every millimeter of length.

Grounding is sometimes the trickiest part of all, and in its more arcane minutiae some engineers consider it practically a dark art.

State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 25 November 2021, 17:23:59 »
I found these "disk" erros right before the screens went black, this time after 6 hours of uptime on PC, so not after a boot.

Could this have something to do with it?

https://i.gyazo.com/df5cd2dc9d1a31722dd5ac05a94dfbc0.png

https://i.gyazo.com/60f65b2457460adcadabfc06a335bb58.png

https://i.gyazo.com/7a6e2b07af1ff3e1ac9a6178545895c9.png

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 25 November 2021, 18:41:31 »
That looks like a bad sata cable, however the fact that it's happening on two drives (or more) is not a good sign.
If it's losing all drives (you would need to check all of those messages) then it's not a cable or even two it's the raid card failing/overheating or a driver crashing and reloading. *

Depending on the drive, yes it could cause screens to go black, computers act odd when you yank drives, but I'm surprised it recovers.

*This can still very much go back to a bad PSU as well, people always underestimate the PSU in regards to problems.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline yui

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 26 November 2021, 01:30:24 »
isn't sata supposed to be plug and play? outside of the main system disk i mean, i remember plugging and unplugging sata drives from windows 7 and linux machines without any trouble, windows 10 seems to be a bit more hit and miss with it, never managed to get a sata hot-plugged drive to be seen by it. but last time i had a system drive sata cable fail on me (i kinked it by mistake between the optical drive and the case) i was getting bsods not straight up black screens, but then i never experienced that fault on a pc with an nVidia GPU, so i do not knows what those drivers do when they lose resources.
to be honest i would more align with leslieann's PSU theory, when you get random failures all around your system the most logical common point is the psu, if it gives dirty power you gpu will crash (depending on it either giving black screen or freeze) and other components may crash, fail or report errors, could also provoke crashes when the 12V rail crashes, even if the power is usually clean, it is what happens to me with my 430W psu trying to power an R9 fury. could also be motherboard having some random glitches on the pci-e bus but that is rather unlikely as most of it is handled by the cpu nowadays.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 26 November 2021, 03:47:34 »
That looks like a bad sata cable, however the fact that it's happening on two drives (or more) is not a good sign.
If it's losing all drives (you would need to check all of those messages) then it's not a cable or even two it's the raid card failing/overheating or a driver crashing and reloading. *

Depending on the drive, yes it could cause screens to go black, computers act odd when you yank drives, but I'm surprised it recovers.

*This can still very much go back to a bad PSU as well, people always underestimate the PSU in regards to problems.

I will try to check for the event viewer when the crash happens, and return here.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 26 November 2021, 07:17:04 »
Keep in mind, I brought an SSD with windows from one PC to this one, so it might be something like that too.

If I don't find a comfy solution, I will try to just order a new PSU and see if it works.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 28 November 2021, 16:00:43 »
The computer actually freezes, and this time nothing in event log from what I can see.

I am using a 900w Universal Power Backup Supply that the whole system is plugged into. Is it possible that UPS is not delivering enough power to the PC?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 28 November 2021, 18:20:42 »
Not likely.
Try without the UPS and see.

The fact that it's not writing to event log says it's hardware or extremely low level and crashing before it can register it.
Most UPS are rated in Volts and usually can power a PC, and it's only when it kicks to battery they fall short. It would also only be under powered under highest of loads.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Naweo

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 29 November 2021, 04:54:36 »
Well I have a 3070 GPU, 9900k CPU, and 4 monitors, of which 2 of them are 4k 42 inch, so I think it surpasses the 900 watt easily?

Offline Naweo

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 29 November 2021, 05:17:48 »
Not likely.
Try without the UPS and see.

The fact that it's not writing to event log says it's hardware or extremely low level and crashing before it can register it.
Most UPS are rated in Volts and usually can power a PC, and it's only when it kicks to battery they fall short. It would also only be under powered under highest of loads.

My PC under load would consume probably 500+ W alone, and my two monitors I have plugged in under the same 900W UPS has a max consumption of 400w. That alone is 900 watt.

I don't think the UPS delivers enough power?

Offline yui

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 29 November 2021, 08:13:08 »
monitors very rarely go above 50W you can check on the sticker, but i'd bet they would be far under that, and i have seen overloaded UPS, either the breaker inside trips, or the fuse if very old, or the relays weld themselves shut, it should never reset itself once overloaded, you should have to press a button or replace a fuse, or in case of welded contacts it will never stop beeping at you.
and in anyway if it would be to brownout (voltage dropping because of overload) your power-supply should detect it and shut the system down "gracefully" (aka fully shut down, not frozen), clearly it is not doing so.
while i was sysadmin we had a few peoples plug fans, vacuums and kettles in UPSs and blow them up like that, never with a pc, even though we had UPSs with 2 workstations (8core Xeons with Nvidia Quadro 4000 i think, been replaced since then so not quite sure) on one 550VA UPS

Offline Naweo

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 29 November 2021, 09:42:48 »
monitors very rarely go above 50W you can check on the sticker, but i'd bet they would be far under that, and i have seen overloaded UPS, either the breaker inside trips, or the fuse if very old, or the relays weld themselves shut, it should never reset itself once overloaded, you should have to press a button or replace a fuse, or in case of welded contacts it will never stop beeping at you.
and in anyway if it would be to brownout (voltage dropping because of overload) your power-supply should detect it and shut the system down "gracefully" (aka fully shut down, not frozen), clearly it is not doing so.
while i was sysadmin we had a few peoples plug fans, vacuums and kettles in UPSs and blow them up like that, never with a pc, even though we had UPSs with 2 workstations (8core Xeons with Nvidia Quadro 4000 i think, been replaced since then so not quite sure) on one 550VA UPS

Yes I see, so its a hardware problem and I should not waste money getting another UPS. You have any further ideas what I can do to fix this?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 29 November 2021, 11:01:54 »
The cpu and/or/andor ram are probably not stable in the stock configuration.