Author Topic: [IC] Go-Ace68 | Redesign a 68-key gasket keyboard, GB ends on Oct 14  (Read 15544 times)

Offline entergogo

• entergogo | Typing Matters
Update on Oct 5, 2021

10 days to the end of GB

Update on Sep 14, 2021

GB is now online. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=114586.0

Update on Sep 12th, 2021 Click here to fill out form if you have an interest

We are going to launch the GB soon, here's an update on the GB details.

GB time:
Sep 15th EST to Oct 14th EST

Product:

1. Aluminum case
2. Solderable PCB with multiple split keys, QMK+VIA supported.

3. Plate options: Aluminum and Polycarbonate
4. Case color options: E-white and E-black

Notes:
1. Keycaps, stabilizers, switches and cable are not included.
2. No backlighting.
3. Keyboard weight: 1.72kg (switches, keycaps and stabs assembled)

Pricing:
(Paypal transaction fee included, shipping fee NOT included)

1. USD $249 for Basic Kit(both aluminum and polycarbonate plate are the same price)
2. Extra add-on purchase options:
    1x solderable pcb - $40
    1x alu or polycarbonate plate - $25

Shipping:

1. Shipping time: estimated November 30th, 2021
2. Shipping method: DHL or other direct express.
3. Shipping fee: $25-$40 based on different countries or areas.

Click here to fill out form if you have an interest

Update on Sep 9th, 2021

Hey, thank you for all your feedback in the last round interest check, now we’re back with some new updates.

1. The keyboard has a new name Go-Ace68.
2. The left shift key can be split. (the layout image updated below)
3. Added a plate material option, polycarbonate.
4. Cancel the hot-swap PCB in the 1st round GB.
5. Prototype is done, here share some pictures.

More prototype photos here https://imgur.com/gallery/IQUyUYz

Sound test video

Prototype update, Aug 3rd

CNC finished, not do finish treatment yet.
so far, the structure has no problem. Next for finish treatment(e-white and e-black), the final prototype will be done around 7 days.

[IC] Go-Ace68, redesign a 68-key gasket mount keyboard

Background

Being regarded as a significant contribution to the mechanical keyboard community, 65% layout is a trendy layout in recent years among various mechanical keyboard enthusiasts because of its high compatibility with most of the necessary keys.

That's the main reason why HelloWorld uses the 65% layout. Although some excellent keyboards were already produced in this layout and had performed well, we still want to make some new attempts, seeing if we can make something new.

One of the attempts is the double-layer top case design, making the keyboard has more color matching. Different colors can be selected for the upper and lower layers of the top case so that the appearance presents more possibilities.

The idea of the badge on the back "HelloWorld” came from one of our friends. When recalling some excitement about his study and work with a mechanical keyboard, he inadvertently mentioned it. We thought it's a cool idea, and that's the point where we made the decision shortly.

Notes: switches and keycaps are only for render use;
More renders at https://imgur.com/a/yhDl5SK
Renders do not include the poron dampening pad, it will be shown respectively in next time update.

KEY FEATURES:
1. Aluminum Case 6063
2. Double layer top case - The overall look presents more possibilities
3. Gasket mount - Poron dampening pad between the plate and PCB
4. QMK and VIA supported.
5. Solderable PCB - Multi-layout support.
6. PCB screw mount stabilizers
7. Two plate options - Aluminum and polycarbonate

Click here if you have an interest

About the PCB
Solderable PCB, multi-layout supported

1. Split backspace
2. ISO enter
3. Split right shift
4. Split left shift
5. Split spacebar
6. Stepped caps lock

Notes: PCB is not backlight supportive

Specification

1. Aluminum case
2. Gasket-mount & 65% Layout
3. Double-layer top case: one upper layer case + one lower layer case
4. High profile design
5. Typing angle: 6 degree
6. Solderable PCB with multiple split keys
7. Aluminum decorative waistline
8. The embedded “HelloWorld” badge

WHAT’S INCLUDED

1. One set of a multi-layer top case (one upper layer case + one lower layer case)
2. One bottom case
3. One PCB
4. One plate
5. One poron dampening pad
6. 16 silicone stripes
7. A set of screws
8. Notice: No keycaps, switches, stabilizers, or cable is included in one set of the kit.

PROJECT STATUS/TIMELINE
Until July 29th: Round 1 prototype

ABOUT GROUP BUY

Starts date: Maybe in Sep
Price: Around $250
Where to announce: here, and www.entergogo.com.

ANY QUESTIONS?
Any questions, thoughts, or concerns about this event or us, please post them here or reach out to us directly at hi@entergogo.com. Many thanks to everyone in the community for your unconditional support.

Updates on the IC will be added here.

entergogo

« Last Edit: Tue, 05 October 2021, 23:23:12 by entergogo »
www.entergogo.com
Discord link: https://discord.gg/ECErFWB
Discord name: entergogo#2512
Reddit: u/entergogo

Offline Baka Bot

Reserved.

Offline ThomDanks

Given this is for coding.  Ive always wondered the question.  How does one comfortably do bitwise functions on a 65%?

Offline sagarsiddhpura

> A Gasket Mount 65% Barebone Kit For Programming & Coding
Every other 65% does things listed here. What is special?

Offline jacobavenkraft

Given this is for coding.  Ive always wondered the question.  How does one comfortably do bitwise functions on a 65%?

The solderable board allows you to put a standard backspace in the standard location and leave the pipe/backslash key in the standard location.  If I were to choose the hotswap layout then I personally would probably program the keyboard to leave the pipe/backslash key in its standard location and reprogram the tilde (which seems awkwardly placed in the upper-right in the layout shown) to be a backspace on the default layer and the ESC to be a tilde on a secondary layer.

Offline Findecanor

I would call this layout "70%". The difference between having a 2×2 nav cluster to the typical 65%'s column (or sometimes just two keys) is significant to some users.

Offline Zanhana

sorry but there is literally nothing that specializes your run-of-the-mill 65% board for coding/programming

this is just another 65 and it doesn't even look like an especially good one

Offline ggggggg

• schmeiß die forties durch den club
Your hotswap pcb's bottom row is .25u narrower than the solderable version lol.

Offline Nuap

The keyboard for coding problem was already solved well by the HHKB, this seems like a step back from your stated intention of fixing the problem of "frequent keys are not placed within a natural range for convenient typing". If that's the intention then why have gaps between clusters at all?

This layout is literally a copy of the layout of the Saka68 and Ikki68. You don't get to disparage "standard layout" when you're using a layout like this.

Offline Baka Bot

The keyboard for coding problem was already solved well by the HHKB, this seems like a step back from your stated intention of fixing the problem of "frequent keys are not placed within a natural range for convenient typing". If that's the intention then why have gaps between clusters at all?

This layout is literally a copy of the layout of the Saka68 and Ikki68. You don't get to disparage "standard layout" when you're using a layout like this.
because its for "coding" because of the weight on the back, therefore coding.

Offline Nuap

because its for "coding" because of the weight on the back, therefore coding.

OH I thought that was a saddle club reference (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWAvMvPb_jo)

If they had actually spoken to some software developers they'd be aware that the correct formatting on the ubiquitous message is "Hello, World!"
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 July 2021, 20:22:43 by Nuap »

Offline Tree_

Unless there's something I missed in the OP, why is the layout for the hotswap PCB so cooked? Not everyone wants to be stuck splitting backspace and right shift.

Edit: Also the whole "Hello, World" theme has been done before, most recently by the Hello M0110 (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=111216.0). I feel like this idea is really half baked.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 July 2021, 20:29:24 by Tree_ »

Offline Nuap

Unless there's something I missed in the OP, why is the layout for the hotswap PCB so cooked? Not everyone wants to be stuck splitting backspace and right shift.

Edit: Also the whole "Hello, World" theme has been done before, most recently by the Hello M0110 (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=111216.0). I feel like this idea is really half baked.

The split BS and RShift is from the HHKB layout, which isn't too out of place on a 65%. It'd be nice to have the option on the hotswap PCB (as has been done with other hotswap boards before).

Offline pool

Nothing here other than "hello world" really screams coding to me.

Offline Tree_

The split BS and RShift is from the HHKB layout, which isn't too out of place on a 65%. It'd be nice to have the option on the hotswap PCB (as has been done with other hotswap boards before).

I get that. But if this is going after the Ikki/Saka "Give me a Magicforce layout but nicer and still on a budget" market, I'd think they would want a more standard layout as the default option on hotswap then HHKB.

I just can't tell who this board is aimed at.

Offline Mailyfesux

The Hello World keyboard is usually regarded as the first step for rookie keyboard manufacturers and designers in learning to design and manufacture a new keyboard.

Maybe there is some irony there... Haha

Offline Mecxs

We conducted many types of research and data analysis regarding the information about the keyboard designed for programming and coding collected online before initiating the project.

I'm sorry.

What?!?

You did data analysis to discover that the ideal keyboard layout for coding is the default 65% keyboard layout that every other 65% uses? This is absurd.

Offline entergogo

Your hotswap pcb's bottom row is .25u narrower than the solderable version lol.
Thank you mate, just updated the right one.
www.entergogo.com

Offline entergogo

I would call this layout "70%". The difference between having a 2×2 nav cluster to the typical 65%'s column (or sometimes just two keys) is significant to some users.
Good point.
www.entergogo.com

Offline entergogo

Thank you for your comments.
For coding HHKB is indeed a very good layout, but we also found the habit and diversity for keyboard layout requirements.
We do refer to a lot of keyboard layouts, but we really don't copy others
www.entergogo.com

Offline entergogo

Thank you for your comments:)
For hot-swappable boards, only fixed layouts can be made because of sockets.
We chose to have a fixed layout with more keys, with QMK and VIA supported that we can have more possibilities for our inputs.
www.entergogo.com

Offline Dawnzo

Iso enter, but no Iso left shift?

Offline pool

Can you tell us what code/research/analysis you actually did to design this?

Because based on what we're reading here, it just seems like a bunch of things made up for marketing purposes. Which doesn't really look good.

If you want to design a board that says "Hello World" then sure. But don't make up stuff about how you did research into coding and programming and analysis when it seems quite obvious you didn't. Not to add.. this hobby has a ton of programmers which can smell the BS from a mile away.

:facepalm:

Offline x86ect

1) Many IDEs use the F keys to step through the code while debugging.  It's a hassle to switch layers to get to the F keys and then switch back to change variables.  Seems to me that a TKL or 75% is more optimized for coding.

2) The 3u in the split space puts the natural thumb position right on the edge of the space bar.  Seems like it should be shifted to the left
Edit:  nevermind... I see it's just a left focused split.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 August 2021, 06:41:24 by x86ect »

Offline Jefff

• jlabs.co
[IC] “Helloworld”, A Gasket Mount 65% Barebone Kit, by entergogo, IC starts on July 29th
we choose the PORON® polyurethanes foam, which is able to handle a much larger range of temperatures (-40°F to 194°F)

The real question is, will everything else work down to -40°F and up to 194°F?

Offline jivex5k

1) Many IDEs use the F keys to step through the code while debugging.  It's a hassle to switch layers to get to the F keys and then switch back to change variables.  Seems to me that a TKL or 75% is more optimized for coding.

2) The 3u in the split space puts the natural thumb position right on the edge of the space bar.  Seems like it should be shifted to the left
Yep, F keys are heavily used in my day to day workload.

Offline entergogo

Re: [IC] entergogo “Helloworld”, A 65% Barebone Kit, IC starts on July 29
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 01 August 2021, 20:35:28 »

Thank you for your comments, great value to us.
www.entergogo.com

Offline entergogo

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 01 August 2021, 22:06:20 »
Iso enter, but no Iso left shift?
Thank you for your comment, it's a good point.
Cuz we adopted PCB mount stabilizer, if the left shift was split into 1.25u+1u, it may cause problems when installing.
If there are many users who want an ISO layout, we will make it happen for sure.
www.entergogo.com

Offline Snakeyh

Re: [IC]“Helloworld” - A Gasket Mount 65% Board - Double Layer Top Case
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 02 August 2021, 03:52:08 »
It's really not trustworthy to build up a fake story about how you did a bunch of research in order to "hype up" your project. Please don't do that.

You mention two pain points with existing keyboard layouts
  1. frequent keys are not placed within a natural range for convenient typing, and
  2. the standard layout is non-friendly for the motion of the fingers, causing fingers soreness and wrist pain.'

and then you do nothing noticeable to address these in your design.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 August 2021, 03:56:23 by Snakeyh »

Offline wowaweewa

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 02 August 2021, 04:49:24 »

They should have hired you instead of the 'software development engineers from the Apple Engineering Operations team, Amazon, and Huawei'.

Offline entergogo

Re: [IC]“Helloworld” - A Gasket Mount 65% Board - Double Layer Top Case
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 02 August 2021, 12:12:49 »

You mention two pain points with existing keyboard layouts
  1. frequent keys are not placed within a natural range for convenient typing, and
  2. the standard layout is non-friendly for the motion of the fingers, causing fingers soreness and wrist pain.'

and then you do nothing noticeable to address these in your design.
As you said, we did not have a corresponding product design for the content of the research, we have removed some of the content, apologize to make you feel uncomfortable.
www.entergogo.com

Offline entergogo

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 02 August 2021, 12:16:51 »

They should have hired you instead of the 'software development engineers from the Apple Engineering Operations team, Amazon, and Huawei'.
We have removed some of the content, I am very sorry to make you feel uncomfortable. More advice is still welcome.
www.entergogo.com

Offline entergogo

Re: [IC] Go-Ace68 | Redesign a 68-key gasket mount keyboard
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 00:33:43 »
Prototype update, check all photos here https://imgur.com/gallery/IQUyUYz
www.entergogo.com

Offline baka jiken

Re: [IC] Go-Ace68 | Redesign a 68-key gasket mount keyboard
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 01:05:54 »
Love the yellow. Looking forward to it  :D
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 September 2021, 01:08:22 by baka jiken »

Offline entergogo

Re: [IC] Go-Ace68 | Redesign a 68-key gasket keyboard
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 07:36:12 »
Love the yellow. Looking forward to it  :D
:)

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk
www.entergogo.com

Offline Havattack

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 21:30:10 »
God i hate that 4 key cluster in the upper right so much.. Every time i see one i start to regret my SpaceTrek purchase.

Offline entergogo

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 23:09:36 »
God i hate that 4 key cluster in the upper right so much.. Every time i see one i start to regret my SpaceTrek purchase.
But why?

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk
www.entergogo.com

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 10 September 2021, 01:06:32 »
Not my taste, but damn nice nonetheless.
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline entergogo

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 10 September 2021, 02:57:11 »
Not my taste, but damn nice nonetheless.
Thanks dude!
www.entergogo.com

Offline entergogo

Re: [IC] Go-Ace68 | Redesign a 68-key gasket keyboard, GB information updated
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 12 September 2021, 21:35:32 »
GB information updated.
www.entergogo.com

Offline swifthunting

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 13 September 2021, 06:37:54 »
Colors aren't my cup of tea personally but I really like the layout. GLWIC!

Offline entergogo

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 13 September 2021, 12:07:15 »
Colors aren't my cup of tea personally but I really like the layout. GLWIC!
Thanks dude.
www.entergogo.com

Offline entergogo

Re: [IC] Go-Ace68 | Redesign a 68-key gasket keyboard, GB has gone live
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 14 September 2021, 08:00:00 »
Notification that GB has gone live here https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=114586.0
www.entergogo.com

Offline entergogo

Re: [IC] Go-Ace68 | Redesign a 68-key gasket keyboard, GB is now live
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 16 September 2021, 20:48:32 »
GB update on Sep 16, 2021
Exciting to announce that we are going to start the production within days.
www.entergogo.com

Offline entergogo

Re: [IC] Go-Ace68 | Redesign a 68-key gasket keyboard, GB ends on Oct 14
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 25 September 2021, 22:03:23 »
Update on Sep 25

Regarding the R1 GB, production has started to ensure that the products can be shipped at the scheduled time, and we will keep you all updated on the progress.
www.entergogo.com

Offline entergogo

Re: [IC] Go-Ace68 | Redesign a 68-key gasket keyboard, GB ends on Oct 14
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 05 October 2021, 23:24:08 »
Update: 10 days to the end of GB
www.entergogo.com