Author Topic: Appreciation Drills (b.c. we lose skills that we don't practice everyday):  (Read 2610 times)

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter

A prior boss once gave me a great piece of advice: catch people doing something RIGHT. Hardly ever does a week go by when I'm not reminded of this - I'm of the mind that you determine the reality you participate by the choices you make and the skills you practice. Practice noticing people do the right thing and you'll probably see more of it. Practice complaining about <whatever> and you'll just get better at finding things to complain about. Doesn't mean that a**holes aren't out there (of course they are) and it doesn't mean that life doesn't suck sometimes (of course it does); I just mean to remind people that you get better at things you practice everyday. So take a moment to flex that appreciation muscle and share something that went right today.

- I'm glad my kids had pretty a great first day back-to-school.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Tp4 appreciates that watermelon farmers are still working hard. They're a bit more expensive now $6, but still affordable.

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
Im very good at complaining. Yes im fun hello.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Smiles and gratitude in the workplace can do a lot to improve morale. You are not being insincere when you tell a co-worker "Hey thanks for .... " and that is a good thing for everybody.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
I appreciate that people understand the learning and training process at my new job and are not immediately overwhelming me with work I don't fully understand or can do yet.

Offline korrelate

I appreciate that people understand the learning and training process at my new job and are not immediately overwhelming me with work I don't fully understand or can do yet.

Of all the places where it can be difficult to practice appreciation the workplace has to be in the top three. It gladdens me to read this and to hear stories of humans being humane to one another.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 August 2021, 17:33:01 by korrelate »

Topre REALFORCE

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Appreciation Drills (b.c. we lose skills that we don't practice everyday):
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 September 2021, 15:00:46 »
Tweeters..

Regular cones just can't handle the highs clearly,   Without tweeters there would be no ZING...

Thank god for tweeters.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 16 September 2021, 22:09:17 »
i appreciate people that write music, make art, and write books. Even the philosophers. The people that have a job thinking and looking at the world around them. I would not have learned anything if it were not for them. These people taught me there was more than just work.

Willem de Kooning. i love you
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 September 2021, 18:31:18 »
Growing up I was taught that complaining is bad manners. I still catch myself giving out about things or people of course but I'll try keep it concise so it's not a big proportion of the conversation. Internally I think this helps me not dwell on the negative too much either.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 September 2021, 18:34:02 by Shapey Fiend »

Offline korrelate

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 27 September 2021, 17:15:14 »
“Has stopped talking in the third person.”

I’d like to hear more about this.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline Tastenplatte

I am rarely complaing at work and mostly give out positive feedback, but sometimes I think that makes me look weak. I wont change though :)

Offline korrelate

I am rarely complaing at work and mostly give out positive feedback, but sometimes I think that makes me look weak. I wont change though :)

This sounds to me like a perfect example of a Human struggle; the kind of thing that a rational person ought to be contending with (i.e. do I continue to practice positive reinforcement even though it may be making me look weak). I like that there are people out there in the world who contend with dilemmas like this.

Topre REALFORCE