geekhack Community > Keyboards

Recent 3-pin linear switches

(1/3) > >>

sandywind:
I was about to replace some chattering switches on a Varmilo TKL. The board currently has Gateron plate-mounted blacks. However, I am now wondering whether it would be worth replacing all the switches with some more recent ones. Looked around and found many options but they all seem to be PCB mounted. The question is, do JWK/Durock or Gateron even manufacture the 3-pin version of their latest switches?

Leopard223:
You can certainly get better switches than Gat Blscks, Alpacas, Durock Linears and Ink Blacks are great examples. 
You can just clip the legs, but make sure to make it as flush as possible so it won’t have any interference.

sandywind:
I considered clipping the pins. Would I be able to reuse them one day on a board supporting PCB mount? Maybe they could become unstable or crack the soldering.

Leopard223:

--- Quote from: sandywind on Sun, 05 September 2021, 05:16:35 ---I considered clipping the pins. Would I be able to reuse them one day on a board supporting PCB mount? Maybe they could become unstable or crack the soldering.

--- End quote ---
You could use them with no issue, but you might face crooked switches if you’ll use it plateless.

sandywind:
Thank you.

I am now choosing a switch and surprisingly I cannot find any good picture of the JWK / Durock switches showing if they are compatible with my keyboard's leds. In this Varmilo, leds are south mounted and their legs pass through the switch casing.

Finally I am also considering silent switches, like silent Alpacas or silent Dolphins. Are they less smooth than their standard linear counterparts?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version