Author Topic: Pig feed industry exposed  (Read 2817 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Pig feed industry exposed
« on: Wed, 15 September 2021, 07:35:15 »
User, GMFmusik (blue collar worker, part time rapper),  recently gone viral, after posting videos of his workplace where they make pig feed.

They take the moldy food waste (everyday supermarket toss), boxes, plastic wrapper and all,  Everything goes into the grinder, (too expensive to pre-sort),  they do a shake stage to get out (some) of the larger pieces,   Then it all gets COOKED in an oven,  then off to the pigs.

So..... now plastic, y'all know is an endocrine disrupter, and microplastics get into cells, and there is research that these chemicals can cross the placenta (affect unborn).

Surely Gekha is aware that plastic burny smell = no bueno, 3dprinting and such,  welllllll.

Pork fans, rejoice, because they be eatn' that.

Similar practice is employed to produce chicken and cow feed.

Offline JP

Re: Pig feed industry exposed
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 September 2021, 09:26:58 »
Yikes, this is not good at all. I don't see this as a standard practice across the industry and not as a primary source of feed. Likely this garbage is a more a supplement to offset the costs of more expensive commodities like grain. Also a prudent and responsible farmer wouldn't risk their good breeding stock by feeding their pigs this cheap garbage. Local farm where I grew up had their own mill, grew as much corn as possible, made their own feed, and trucked it short distances to various locations where their pigs are raised. The feed is quite heavy and pigs eat tons of corn so large operations are always close to corn and local mills that produce feed. The waste from the pigs is also spread on these fields as fertilizer.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 September 2021, 09:41:41 »
So, they do this because it's cheaper, if they had to break open all the packaging, they would NEVER get it done.

And looking at their SCALE,  it's industrial, which means it must be LEGAL.

You have Financial motivation, AND Legality.

Now you ask Pig feed producer # 2,   how do you compete with Pig feed producer #1 that's allowed to use unsorted Garbage.

Well, now pig feed producer # 2 will start using garbage. 

Then This becomes standard industry practice.     Bad money drives out Good money.

And on the consumer end, How do you know which pig you're getting, plastic pollution pig or corn pig.  Because differentiation is virtually impossible,  No distinction can be marketed/ made.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 September 2021, 10:59:42 »
That's why I pay more for higher quality meat that comes from healthier and better treated animals. Happy to pay more to not eat that caged and abused sad meat from the grocery store.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 September 2021, 11:23:33 »
That's why I pay more for higher quality meat that comes from healthier and better treated animals. Happy to pay more to not eat that caged and abused sad meat from the grocery store.

90% of meat in the states is factory farmed.  And they're not distinguishable on your end, so producers LIE.

Even the (grass fed) free range stuff is mainly BS,  and they go to the SAME slaughter processors. So there's cross contamination.

There is no such thing as _Happy meat_ sold anywhere.

Offline JP

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 September 2021, 11:27:29 »

90% of meat in the states is factory farmed.  And they're not distinguishable on your end, so producers LIE.

Even the (grass fed) free range stuff is mainly BS,  and they go to the SAME slaughter processors. So there's cross contamination.

Looking at the scale of the operation in that video it doesn't look like much of an operation but let's assume there are more industrial operations such as this. after being baked at 1000 degrees I don't see how any actual nutrition could exist. More than likely it's probably mixed in as a minor ingredient with actual feed. I don't know all the rules or practices across the industry though. You are right though, there is no way to tell what you are eating unless of course you go right to the source. It already sucks that plastics are literally everywhere and now we have yet an additional source to worry about. A family farm that raises pigs can take better care and feed better quality feed than say a massive factory farm that churns out pigs by the tens of thousands or more. Some people will certainly pay an additional premium for the better quality or raise their own but this is not the norm. There is a farm that I know of that raises pigs that are treated well and are fed special feed with the best nutrition (very pricey). Their animals consistently show well at the fair and command the most money when auctioned off. 
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 24 September 2021, 17:22:19 »
This is why I buy my meat from a butcher who farms his own stuff.

Irish cooking is generally considered pretty dull and lackluster but that's cos we've got good raw ingredients so just boiling everything didn't necessarily f it up.

Offline F eq ma

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 24 September 2021, 18:25:44 »
 A bit more knowledge on the subject from a US perspective.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/animal_health/fs-swine-producers-garbage-feeding.pdf
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/swine/downloads/interim_rule_pro-products.pdf

Also not allowed in half the states.   Iowa for example it is illegal per https://iwrc.uni.edu/regulatory-information/food-waste-composting/feeding-garbage-swine

I like pork.   It is a hellova lot safer now than it was in the early 1900’s when regulations did not really exist and you were buying from a local farm who was feeding pigs whatever.   There was a reason you used to have to cook pork to well done back then.   Now, you can cook it to a lower done temp and still be safe.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 24 September 2021, 18:39:10 »
A bit more knowledge on the subject from a US perspective.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/animal_health/fs-swine-producers-garbage-feeding.pdf
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/swine/downloads/interim_rule_pro-products.pdf

Also not allowed in half the states.   Iowa for example it is illegal per https://iwrc.uni.edu/regulatory-information/food-waste-composting/feeding-garbage-swine

The USDA is rift with revolving door syndrome, so it is no more than a mouthpiece for the industry.

There can be NO justification for eating crispy burn plastic GARBAGE.

This is unacceptable at any level.

Offline F eq ma

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 24 September 2021, 19:43:48 »
I agree that the optics are bad, but the reality in the modern industrial food industry would probably shock most.   Realize that the animal is absorbing the nutrients and not the non digestive materials, that exits the pig (mostly).   Pigs are not particularly picky in their eating habits.   I got to feed the hogs when visiting grandparents when I was a kid.

Read up on microplastics.  Most of us are eating plastics everyday.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 25 September 2021, 01:12:34 »
I agree that the optics are bad, but the reality in the modern industrial food industry would probably shock most.   Realize that the animal is absorbing the nutrients and not the non digestive materials, that exits the pig (mostly).   Pigs are not particularly picky in their eating habits.   I got to feed the hogs when visiting grandparents when I was a kid.

Turns out soylent green isn't even people,  it's actually garbage.. phewww,  what a load off.   Total Yummo.

Hahahahhahahahaa

Offline F eq ma

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 25 September 2021, 09:18:01 »
Turns out soylent green isn't even people,  it's actually garbage.. phewww,  what a load off.   Total Yummo.

Hahahahhahahahaa

Got to do something to save those landfills and oceans :)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 25 September 2021, 13:27:55 »

Hahahahhahahahaa

If soylent green is people, and most people are garbage...

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 27 September 2021, 07:19:47 »
What's soylent green?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 27 September 2021, 09:50:43 »
What's soylent green?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green

Yeah, I googled and only found that movie, but I thought maybe there is actual product like that. Somthing so popular like spam, that someone made a movie about it saying its made from people :p
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline ergonaut

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 27 September 2021, 10:49:52 »

Couldn't agree more. The people who are saying "but my meat is free-range/organic/grass-fed/whatever" are simply deluding themselves.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 00:08:20 »
Man, and I thought was bad that we feed plants poop.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 00:57:08 »

Couldn't agree more. The people who are saying "but my meat is free-range/organic/grass-fed/whatever" are simply deluding themselves.

Plants are void of emotion. So it is either an emotionless plant you simply cannot connect with on a personal level, or an indifferent meat you can pretend is relatable.