Author Topic: Anime Thread  (Read 381759 times)

Offline wiredPANDA

Re: Anime Thread
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 09:40:58 »
I'm enjoying SAO this season, and I was close to not picking it up.  Like I did with Kokoro, but Zehkul just changed that.  I've been looking for something else to start, and that may just be it.

I actually just finished watching Madoka.  It was good, but I don't think I'm as hooked on it as everyone else.
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline xJaPx

• Oh, Herro!
« Reply #151 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 09:48:43 »
Anyone watching Sword Art Online? I've been enjoying it so far, though I'm a couple episodes behind the current one right now.

yup, im loving it.  The thing that got me hooked was going into it, I didnt read anything about it aside from the fact that it was MMO based.  I assumed it would be more like kids in school, playing every night, getting into trouble at school during the day, type anime.  When the twist came in the first episode that they couldnt log out, i got so damn excited lol
| Poker MX Red |

Offline posthaste

« Reply #152 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 10:33:36 »
Anyone watching Gundam AGE currently?   It's gotten better after 47 episodes, but still not as good as the previous Gundam 00 in terms of storyline, character development, and mecha designs.  I kinda like the intergenerational spin, but it's hard to keep me interested as I think it's aimed more towards younger kids.

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #153 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 13:05:31 »
Can't say I've ever been a Gundam fan.  Love mechs, just something about Gundam...

Offline nar

« Reply #154 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 13:10:15 »
I'm much more interested in Gundam Unicorn, can't wait for episode 6 to come out.

On another note, anyone who wants to read SAO, the light novels are available online on baka-tsuki. They took out the little extras the original web novel had though ;_;.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline Zehkul

« Reply #155 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 13:46:38 »
You talking bout 16.5? xD

Offline nullstring

« Reply #156 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 14:57:16 »
Hrm, I don;t think I've ever tried to inventory what I've seen before.
These are all I can think of off the top of my head

Seen:
FLCL
Inuyasha
Monster
Paranoia Agent
Cowboy Bebop
Steins;Gate
Michiko to Hatchin
Madoka Magica
Shakugan No Shana
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Elfen Lied
MS Gundam
Gundam Seed
Gundam Seed Destiny
Gundam 00
8th MS Team
Gurren Lagann
Full Metal Alchemist
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Ghost in the Shell: SAC
Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd Gig
DBZ
DBGT
Naruto (skipped filler seasons)
Chobits
DearS
Baccano!
Blue Gender

Partial:
Trigun
Wolf's Rain
Bleach
Death Note. (This one is so good at first then gets sooo boring)
Outlaw Star
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Rurouni Kenshin
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Dragon Ball
A-turn gundam

Active:
None  :(
Nothing seems worth watching lately
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 September 2012, 15:48:54 by nullstring »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #157 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 15:06:15 »
Anyone watching Gundam AGE currently?   It's gotten better after 47 episodes, but still not as good as the previous Gundam 00 in terms of storyline, character development, and mecha designs.  I kinda like the intergenerational spin, but it's hard to keep me interested as I think it's aimed more towards younger kids.
I have some of the BDs for that but havnt watched any of it as of yet but 00 in my eyes was one of the best gundam series.

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #158 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 15:19:23 »

I'm guessing I know around what point you're referencing.  I'm sure any fans of the series know.  =D

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #159 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 15:27:08 »

I'm guessing I know around what point you're referencing.  I'm sure any fans of the series know.  =D
Second half is decent though doesnt have the same general draw that the series initially had. It it by no means bad just because the casual anime veiwer gets bored.

Offline Zehkul

« Reply #160 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 16:19:26 »
Yeah, it’s not that good after episode 25. :P You really should finish Higurashi though, especially higurashi no naku koro ni kai, that explains the whole story.

Offline Excaliborg

« Reply #161 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 17:07:03 »
I need to watch Higurashi no Naku Koro ni kai sometime. I finished the original Higurashi and started kai but got bored with it when I tried to watch it a few years ago. I might start it after I check out Mirai Nikki (I already saw the ova which was pretty much a preview of what was going to happen which has me interested).

I am still planning to start Sword Art Online when it is done airing as I said I would pages ago. I just don't know what order I want to view everything in. Golgo 13 and Aria The Animation need to be finished as well.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #162 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 20:43:54 »
I preferred Japanese animation in the 90's when it still had a cheap nasty feel about it. First thing I saw was Akira when it aired on UK television for the first time in the early 90's, which blew my child mind. Then bought a lot of Manga Entertainment releases on VHS.

Cyber City Oedo 808 was one of my absolute favourites, I really wish they'd made a full series out of it instead of just three episodes. It was a bit like a precursor to GITS:SAC but without all the pseudo-philosophical BS. Mad Bull 34 was good for a laugh and Devilman/Violence Jack was grim and grisly as hell.

Cowboy Bebop and Trigun were about the last things I watched, haven't seen anything decent come out since then. Only exception is Cromartie High School, which came out left field and is probably my favourite TV show period.

Offline Excaliborg

« Reply #163 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 21:23:11 »
I love old school cel animation, I actually own a cel but it is not one of those nice painted ones. Especially insane obscure comedies such as Sexy Commando Gaiden: Sugoiyo!! Masaru-san!!  ;D

Offline Lanx

« Reply #164 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 22:52:39 »
man old school anime, just always makes me think of genocyber, i love the OP(op stands for (OP)ening song and ED stands for EnDing song) but then whenever i think about it, i just get grossed out, i didn't even see it when i was too young either, maybe 15 or so, still i've seen well over 200 animes (i want to say 400) but this still stands out as, bleh wtf...
it's a nice song, i guess cuz it's japanese 90's rock, but just don't watch it lol.

edit
dear lord, even the preview is horrible!

Offline Excaliborg

« Reply #165 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 23:02:21 »
I watched the whole thing and I swear I have seen some of those head exploding scenes somewhere before (possibly in one of the AMV Hells...). I really enjoy Japanese gore and French Extremism films so it was more interesting than disturbing to me.

Offline ferociousfingerings

« Reply #166 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 23:30:41 »
I think my first "anime" exposure must have been "back in the day," when a program called "Liquid Television" on MTV, first started airing Aeon Flux.
Sometime circa y2k, i was graced with my first viewing of Akira, by a half-Japanese friend... soon followed by the GITS movie, and Princess Mononoke, and then some other steam-punk-ish thing i can't remember the name of... and a few others. One of the coolest guys i've ever met.

Since then, it's mostly been [adultswim]... and though i don't often watch tv at all these days, i did religiously attend [adultswim]-mass, for several years, up to about 2-ish years ago.
Logitech G710+

Offline neeb

« Reply #167 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 12:41:34 »
I've really never been into anime very much but a good friend of mine insisted that I watch a few episodes of bleach and gave it a chance; i loved it and watched like 10 episodes a day until I had seen just about all of them. Really good series imo

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #168 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 12:50:14 »
I've really never been into anime very much but a good friend of mine insisted that I watch a few episodes of bleach and gave it a chance; i loved it and watched like 10 episodes a day until I had seen just about all of them. Really good series imo
Did you enjoy the filler?

Offline sirtetris

• blog / personal website
« Reply #169 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 13:28:58 »
Uh oh, an anime thread! :)

So ... I already watched a lot of stuff, therefore I'm just going to link my MyAnimeList for anyone who's interested.

I watched 9 of the anime that aired this summer season, with my favourites being: Sword Art Online followed by Oda Nobuna no Yabou and the "third place" being shared by Jinrui wa Suitai Shim‌ash‌ita and Tari Tari.

My all time favourite is Elfen Lied. <3 For veryone loving it aswell, I compiled some fanart and stuff on my website: http://tareksaier.bplaced.net/?c=el
Other anime I highly value: Serial Experiments Lain, Chihayafuru, Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica, Death Note, Mawaru Penguindrum, Mononoke Hime, Black★Rock Shooter, Paprika, Dragonball (Z), Bakemonogatari, Soul Eater, ... there are too much ...

My favourite Seiyuu is Kana Hanazawa

Currently more or less actively watching (aside from those still airing): Hanasaku Iroha, Toaru Majutsu no Index and Shiki
Among others I plan to start watching: Berserk, Katanagatari. Tasogare Otome x Amnesia and Moyashimon.

Concerning the upcoming fall season I'm really excited about Shinsekai yori — previews had some kick ass atmosphere. *_*

Oh well ... so much titles ... let's end this post with something so look at. A lovely Mawaru Penguindrum AMV:
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 September 2012, 13:34:48 by sirtetris »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #170 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 14:03:13 »
you highly value an odd balance of shows either rather old ones or rather new. nothing wrong with that just an observation.

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #171 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 14:15:48 »
Just sent a request to you on MAL.

And I think I've managed to hit a burn out point.  Tried watching a few series last night and made it no further than 5 minutes into any episode.  Think I'm trying to keep up with too many right now.

Offline sirtetris

• blog / personal website
« Reply #172 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 14:16:28 »
heh ... you're right, there's quite a gap between Lain (1998) and Paprika (2006)
oh wait! Elfen Lied is from '04 ^^ that reduces the gap to 6 years :D

browsing through the rest of my MAL I found Spirited Away ('01) and .hack//Sign ('02)  among those I really really liked to fit in the gap

but considering only my favourites you're absolutlely right, there's quite a distance in time between them — interesting ^^

Offline ChaoticKinesis

« Reply #173 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 20:54:31 »
Just finished watching Ergo Proxy. I really enjoyed it for the most part, but not sure how I feel about the last few episodes.

Also watched Death Note after seeing all the recommendations and it was fantastic.

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #174 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 21:29:18 »
I thought Durarara had a lot of lulz.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Anime Thread
« Reply #175 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 23:18:34 »
Just finished watching Ergo Proxy. I really enjoyed it for the most part, but not sure how I feel about the last few episodes.

Also watched Death Note after seeing all the recommendations and it was fantastic.
Ergo proxy is good I do have the bds available and should throw that gew together sometime.

I thought Durarara had a lot of lulz.
Yea i was looking at the bd box but they wanted 150$ which for a us boxset is ourageous

If any of u interested in some good anime check out that chart i posted a bit back it may not be the most updated but most everything on there is still solid.

Offline ChaoticKinesis

« Reply #176 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 02:43:37 »
If any of u interested in some good anime check out that chart i posted a bit back it may not be the most updated but most everything on there is still solid.

Absolutely! I've been looking for things from there since the day you posted it. I also use animenewsnetwork.com for descriptions/ratings before committing to something.

Offline Excaliborg

« Reply #177 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 07:56:57 »
I started Acchi Kocchi a couple days ago and it has been fairly enjoyable so far. I have had this urge to rewatch Toradora! recently but I don't feel like giving up 26 eps. worth of anime time to a series I have already finished.

I love the fact that Lain has been brought up so much on this board. It somehow ended up being one of the first anime I ever watched and has been my favorite since. I watched the blu ray version back in May after not seeing the series from start to finish for many years and it was amazing.

I guess I will link my list again as well http://myanimelist.net/animelist/willkillall. If anyone is interested in any series in the completed section of my list let me know and I might be able to give recommendations.

Offline Zehkul

« Reply #178 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 14:10:23 »
My favourite Seiyuu is Kana Hanazawa

I really love her in angel beats.

Concerning the upcoming fall season I'm really excited about Shinsekai yori

Me too :P Waiting for evetaku to release the sub. I mean, it already aired almost 4 hours ago !!1 :p

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #179 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 14:12:58 »
I usually wait until the whole series has aired. i dont know about you guys but i like to marathon.

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #180 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 14:46:44 »
I usually wait until the whole series has aired. i dont know about you guys but i like to marathon.

Think I need to adopt this.  Maybe I could actually finish some of the older series I had started, if I stopped trying to keep up with simulcasts/current seasons.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #181 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 14:51:55 »

Think I need to adopt this.  Maybe I could actually finish some of the older series I had started, if I stopped trying to keep up with simulcasts/current seasons.
lol just dont be as bad as my Gundam 00 (both seasons) in 3 days

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #182 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 15:04:34 »
Work, wife, and a kid tend to keep my marathoning to a minimum.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Anime Thread
« Reply #183 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 01:35:51 »
Work, wife, and a kid tend to keep my marathoning to a minimum.
sucks school and work only leave the weekends open for me really.

Offline Excaliborg

« Reply #184 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 21:50:42 »
After a week or so without watching any anime I was in the mood to marathon some series and clean up my list a bit slowly. I started Joshiraku (ep. 1-9) which was not as interesting as I expected it to be but there were still some funny parts here and there.

After I ran out of episodes of Joshiraku I decided to start Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko which I ended up finishing half an hour ago. I loved the way the series tied the supernatural theme with school life. Makoto was a pretty awesome main character and the ending was pretty cool so it was worth watching non-stop.

(Also, having watched School Days a few years back, I feel bad for awesome characters with the name Makoto.)

Offline xJaPx

• Oh, Herro!
« Reply #185 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 09:19:41 »
Can't really input much on anime more than anyone above, its been years since I've cared for watching a series versus reading the manga. Although loved the animation styling of Bakemonogatari. Still haven't seen it's sequel, but someday.
Gotta say, out of anything related to all this, manwha is where it's at. Shame that some of the best series aren't animated. Maybe someday, and I'll get back into the anime scene.

yuuppp, the breaker and veritas were some of my favorites

on an anime note, sword art online finished last sunday (unless they are planning a season 2, which i doubt), and it ended way too abruptly.  Good anime though, only 25 eps to watch.  On to the next, maybe akira? 
| Poker MX Red |

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #186 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 09:49:18 »
Finally 1st ep of Jormugand 2nd series was released into the air and looking forward to next.
I enjoyed the last series best among recent anime programs.

Offline Excaliborg

« Reply #187 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 16:53:47 »
on an anime note, sword art online finished last sunday (unless they are planning a season 2, which i doubt), and it ended way too abruptly.  Good anime though, only 25 eps to watch.  On to the next, maybe akira? 
Sword Art Online is not done airing yet according to release dates on Anime News Network...should be 25 eps. long with the last one airing on the 22nd of December in Japan. Did it get cancelled or something?

Offline MechKey

« Reply #188 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 16:59:09 »
Ghost in the shell SAC
Evangelion also well worth a watch

8)8)8)
See if you can name the symbols below...
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Where did you get these keys?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #189 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 00:47:52 »
Looks like WASD's work to me

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #190 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 00:48:38 »
o and ill have to find it but when i was in china i had a stamp made by hand that matches the individual eleven logo.

Offline Excaliborg

« Reply #191 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 02:18:31 »
It's 2:14 AM and I just finished watching Deadman Wonderland start to finish. If anyone has seen Now and Then, Here and There and really enjoyed (maybe the wrong word to use...) it then I would highly recommend DW.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #192 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 02:53:16 »
Just finishe restarant paradiso was a good watch smooth calm and layed back get what i needed to watch during this hectic week.

Offline MechKey

« Reply #193 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 08:44:17 »
Looks like WASD's work to me

Thanks.  Can you share the file with the picture to send to them?

Offline xJaPx

• Oh, Herro!
« Reply #194 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 09:10:21 »
Sword Art Online is not done airing yet according to release dates on Anime News Network...should be 25 eps. long with the last one airing on the 22nd of December in Japan. Did it get cancelled or something?

i have no idea what i was talking about, lol.  the last ep was ep 14.  I don't know why, but i assumed that was the end.  SPOILER AHEAD kirito figures out the leader of the guild is the games creator, and kills him, and basically beats the game.  and then the normal credits dont run, so in my mind it was the end.  It all happened so quickly, maybe it got canceled midway through?  It doesn't seem that way, but I dont see it being anything more than a love story now, lol

It's 2:14 AM and I just finished watching Deadman Wonderland start to finish. If anyone has seen Now and Then, Here and There and really enjoyed (maybe the wrong word to use...) it then I would highly recommend DW.

that anime is finally over?  I began reading it when it first came out a couple of years ago(?), and for some reason stopped reading after the 3rd or 4th battle.  Guess i'll make DW next on my list.

For current animes, blast of tempest seems promising, as well as magi.  Ixion Saga DT may have potential as well.

anyone know a good site to download full episode from (willing to buy a membership)?
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 October 2012, 09:15:11 by xJaPx »
| Poker MX Red |

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #195 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 09:32:51 »
And for SAO - the first arc is over, but the show did get picked up for 25 episodes, so we should get more.  Episode 15 should be out this week.  I'm interested to see where it goes now that we have IRL interactions between characters.

I just started watching a few new shows from the fall season - Blast of Tempest, Magi, Shin Sekai Yori.

Offline Excaliborg

« Reply #196 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 23:47:26 »
I spent the day watching all of Mirai Nikki...I am really bad at stopping in the middle of interesting anime when I have the free time for it.

Is anyone else watching older series right now? It seems that most of the posts have been about currently airing shows...

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #197 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 23:55:49 »
I spent the day watching all of Mirai Nikki...I am really bad at stopping in the middle of interesting anime when I have the free time for it.

Is anyone else watching older series right now? It seems that most of the posts have been about currently airing shows...
Not at the moment but that is what i mostly encode and I watch as I encode and usually watch the full thing once im finish ASAP.

Offline wiredPANDA

Anime Thread
« Reply #198 on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 17:55:55 »

I finished reading Mirai Nikki a month or two before I found out it was getting an anime. Never ended up watching the show.

And I jump from older to new stuff. I just like keeping up with newer series. Like a second hobby.

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #199 on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 19:55:29 »
For current animes, blast of tempest seems promising, as well as magi.  Ixion Saga DT may have potential as well.

anyone know a good site to download full episode from (willing to buy a membership)?

Blast of Tempest is starting out really strong.  First two episodes were good.

Check your PM, too, xJaPx.