Author Topic: Anime Thread  (Read 381713 times)

Offline xJaPx

• Oh, Herro!
Re: Anime Thread
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 08:17:54 »
if you guys havent watched s-cry-ed, it is a must watch. only 26 eps.  cant think of anything that reall stand out to me as an amazing anime (aside from your major popular ones)

baki is also pretty badass, along with hajime no ippo (if you have a year to spend watching/reading lol). 
| Poker MX Red |

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 13:48:19 »
Thanks much for the recommendation! I'll have to check it out

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
Re: Re: Anime Thread
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 14:02:38 »
Thanks much for the recommendation! I'll have to check it out

X2
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Excaliborg

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 14:02:56 »
I have seen a bit: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/willkillall

Just don't ask how my younger self came up with that name when I made the account. I wish I had used Excaliborg...

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 19:55:47 »
Wow! and I thought I had a huge list xD

Offline Excaliborg

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 21:27:32 »
It has been one of my main hobbies ever since middle school 9 years ago. I was watching a ton earlier this summer (avg. 45 or so eps. a week) but over the past month I have been focused on skateboarding, yoyoing, playing bass and ele. guitar, reading (Dostoevsky & Proust...not manga), and now back to mech. keyboards (I love my blank Das w/blues but I plan on picking up a tkl Filco w/ browns next month).

Anyone else go to conventions? I will be going to one on Fri. that I have been to the past two years and enjoy.

What are everyone's favorite series/genres? I prefer slice of life/comedy/romance and I will almost never watch an anime with mechs in it.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 21:41:17 »
Genres eh. Big fan of the typical shonen. Once in awhile I'll have the urge for light hearted romance/comedy. But as for the series that enthrall me most are the dark, seinen, ones. Reading Berserk is like asking for a few days without sleep. And Dorohedoro was just amazing, crude art sometimes, but riveting story.
Oh and as for mech, depends on the show itself, mech is just kind of there. Gotta say, loved lots of Gundam series, Evangelion, Full Metal Panic.....although have never gotten into Gurran Laggan(spelling?).

Offline Striketh

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 21:41:38 »

Anyone else go to conventions? I will be going to one on Fri. that I have been to the past two years and enjoy.

What are everyone's favorite series/genres? I prefer slice of life/comedy/romance and I will almost never watch an anime with mechs in it.

I only went to one convention and that was like... 9 years ago (holy crap time flies). It was pretty cool, but I'm just not really into that thing and so I haven't gone to any others since.

As far as anime, I don't limit myself to anyone genre - I just watch what's good. I love mechs, though, and I've watched a lot of those types of series. Currently, Gundam Unicorn is a favorite as it's absolutely an amazing series (it's a shame there's such a long delay between releases) and the music is top notch. I do watch slice of life too, and even some romance. Just whatever suits my mood and doesn't suck or fall into the typical anime tropes that tend to annoy me these days :P

Offline xJaPx

• Oh, Herro!
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 22:11:44 »
thats the one thing i can not watch, mech anime.   

and berserk.... my goodness.  that was the FIRST anime i purchased, just getting into it back in college.  little did i know it was going to abruptly end and never be finished.... worst feeling ever lol.  didn't realize the manga went past the show... i must read it now
| Poker MX Red |

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 22:14:53 »
yeah, not a huge mech anime fan either. It depends what it is though. I enjoyed Evangelion. I also liked Gerren Lagann because of the over the top corniness. xD

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 22:21:05 »
thats the one thing i can not watch, mech anime.   

and berserk.... my goodness.  that was the FIRST anime i purchased, just getting into it back in college.  little did i know it was going to abruptly end and never be finished.... worst feeling ever lol.  didn't realize the manga went past the show... i must read it now

Man, start form the beginning, on a weekend, get some beers, and go for days. It will have you drooling. Honestly, it's the only series that probably doesn't get boring from re-reads.

Offline xJaPx

• Oh, Herro!
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 22:51:44 »
this thread is going to ruin my short term future lol
| Poker MX Red |

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 22:57:14 »
Goodbye homework, goodbye studying, goodbye good nights of sleep. Yup, the good life!

Offline Striketh

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 00:54:50 »
Whaaat? What's with all the mecha haters? Watch Break Blade and/or Gundam Unicorn - they're both short, with each episode being about an hour long. If you don't like those either then I don't know what to tell you >_>

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 02:38:19 »
Seems like most of the posts revolve around slightly older stuff from back when new shows were semi regularly being aried in the US. I prefer the pre ~2005 anime before the whole hd scene hit. Now days only a few anime are released a season that I watch and end up falling in love with. Most of the others seem to be wash rinse repeat shows if you know what i mean. I can look through my stash if you want to know any titles I find good. If supplied with a genere i could probably dig up a few titles spanning accross the years.

Some recent good ones ive watched are gosick, hanasaku iroha, kimi no todoki, no. 6, rainbow, sakamichi no apollon, and un-go.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 02:41:47 »
Kimi no Todoki was really cute :) But got kind of bored at some point in the second season. One of my favorite romance/comedy shows has to have been Toradora.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 02:52:57 »
Kimi no Todoki was really cute :) But got kind of bored at some point in the second season. One of my favorite romance/comedy shows has to have been Toradora.
Yea it was a bit slow but i dont mind shows that do that as long as ther dont make it feel like filler which to me that show didnt have any or very little. I also like toradora a lot as well i bought the dvd set when it was released in the us without really knowing what the anime was like and it was a great find. Anothe great on in my opinion is Working/Wagnaria I fell in low with the anime, heres to hoping the 2nd season hit dvd/bd ib the states so i can own a copy.

Also forgot from my list i forget the name but the translation to english was something like "gods memo pad".

Also who here regually watches anime and possibly partially keeps up with the newer releases.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 August 2012, 02:57:45 by TheProfosist »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 02:56:42 »
I gotta say, props to owning a collection of sweet shows. I had a terabyte drive loaded with anime of all sorts. But one day, someone tripped on the cord while watching Chobits..and it has never worked since.
Gods memo pad...doesn't ring a bell. But it reminds me of "The World Only God Knows". I think the anime is fairly new, but been reading for a long time. Lurvvv it

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 03:12:11 »
I gotta say, props to owning a collection of sweet shows. I had a terabyte drive loaded with anime of all sorts. But one day, someone tripped on the cord while watching Chobits..and it has never worked since.
Gods memo pad...doesn't ring a bell. But it reminds me of "The World Only God Knows". I think the anime is fairly new, but been reading for a long time. Lurvvv it
Reminds me of when my 5+ year psu died and took the mb with it cause the raid arrary to just fall apart. I ended up loosing 8TB of data which at least 2TB was anime.

Well i ended up finding it kami-sama no memo-cho and on the us release its going to be called Heavens notepad.

O and what i guess i was trying to do on my previous post was call out the otaku descrietely...
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 August 2012, 03:14:08 by TheProfosist »

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 08:40:46 »
That sucks. Damn raid

Lol. Isp is going to flip

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Excaliborg

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 08:50:25 »
I used to save every series on one of my external drives but now I delete every episode after watching it. I have kept some favorites that I like to rewatch every couple years: Serial Experiments Lain, Lucky Star, and Azumanga Daioh are 3 that come to mind.

Of the anime mentioned in the last page or so I loved Sakamichi no Apollon, Kimi ni Todoke, and Toradora. I watched 5 eps. of Hanasaku Iroha but kind of lost interest when I saw that the guy from Ohana's old home was back in the story. Out of the anime that I have watched this summer Nana, Kobato., and Sakamichi no Apollon are my top 3.

Offline nar

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 09:32:31 »
Well if anyone wants to watch recent anime you can always check out Crunchyroll, they somehow got on the good side of a bunch of publishers in Japan and they simulcast and have VODs of current airing series and such. (Note this may sound like a commercial, well technically I'm biased towards them since they have a partnership with my club but thats it.)

On the other hand, anyone here do more related things like Manga, Light Novels, VNs, Figures, Cards?
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline Excaliborg

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 10:14:53 »
I have no interest in manga really, all my reading time goes to really long novels from Russian and French authors. As for VNs my favorite is Yume Miru Kusuri and I am contemplating picking up School Days.

Figures/merch.: http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h203/willkillall/Anime%20stuff/

Offline xJaPx

• Oh, Herro!
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 10:41:18 »
manga > anime.  i fought it for a while, but once i started reading it, i couldnt stop
| Poker MX Red |

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 15:49:05 »
Lucky star is so good too !

But it's not something you'll fully enjoy if you didn't see a few animes before and have a lot of references before.

Offline xJaPx

• Oh, Herro!
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 21:03:28 »
People, i beg you, please start watching sword art online.  I just watched the
 5 episodes released, its so damn good
| Poker MX Red |

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 21:05:48 »
What's it about?

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline xJaPx

• Oh, Herro!
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 21:18:34 »
A virtual MMO world.  Just watch the first ep, if ur not hooked, ill burn my MJ2 lol
| Poker MX Red |

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 21:23:45 »
Hmm that proposition is intriguing....if I don't like it can you burn it while you cry and throw it up on the youtubes?

Offline xJaPx

• Oh, Herro!
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 21:29:55 »
Deal of the century right there!  Lol, but seriously, its like playing WoW and watching anime at the same time.  Ever see the episode of seinfeld where george tries to incorporate eating food into his sex.life, its just like that hahah

Id be willing to wager a random key cap on it, honor system tho!
| Poker MX Red |

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 21:34:10 »
Hah there was a day when I did play WoW while watching anime....but those days are long gone...hah. Can't recall the Seinfeld episode, but I know the show, and that does sound awesome.
I'll have to check it out soon, possibly tonight!

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 21:35:47 »
Oh wow, just noticed Toriko on the website I used to watch anime on. Anyone ever seen Toriko? Very similar art to DBZ, I think they may have worked together or been an assistant or something. And it's all about fighting and food.

Offline Excaliborg

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 21:40:35 »
I read the plot of Sword Art Online and it seems interesting enough to check out. After I finish a few series in my currently watching section and feel like starting something new I will give it a look.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 August 2012, 21:43:17 by Excaliborg »

Offline xJaPx

• Oh, Herro!
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 21:50:21 »
Well its a current series with only 5 eps, wont take long to catch up :)
| Poker MX Red |

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 22:13:22 »
Found out I can read Sword Art online, much more my style, hehe

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 22:17:21 »
Found out I can read Sword Art online, much more my style, hehe

link it yo!!

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 22:36:55 »
http://mangafox.me/manga/sword_art_online/

Only 7 chapters out, they must be barely keeping ahead of the anime, I'll have to check out both.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 22:42:16 »
http://mangafox.me/manga/sword_art_online/

Only 7 chapters out, they must be barely keeping ahead of the anime, I'll have to check out both.

Thanks, will check this out tomorrow.

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline nar

« Reply #88 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 10:26:58 »
For SAO:
Rather than read the manga, read the actual light novels (its actually relatively famous as it was the first ever Web Novel, that is just some novel a guy posted on his website/blog, that ever became published).
I have the novels myself but there are also available online at Baka-tsuki and translated into a few languages as well.

Of course its massive spoilers since the Anime will only cover volumes 1-2 when we are already at volume 10 (not that the anime stops midway or something, the first volume can be read as completely stand-alone like Dune, the second volume is just side stories on the first volume. The next 8+ volumes expand the story but aren't necessary for the first story.)
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline xJaPx

• Oh, Herro!
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 10:54:33 »
thanks NAR.  im conflicted between reading and wathcing.  I feel like i dont want to ruin the anime, hahaha.  The struggles of anime/manga fans
| Poker MX Red |

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 16:10:04 »
thanks NAR.  im conflicted between reading and wathcing.  I feel like i dont want to ruin the anime, hahaha.  The struggles of anime/manga fans

Reading. Lol

MOAR BARS

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 16:14:44 »
I've only read the manga so far, found the characters kind of...I dunno...a lack of depth? I'll have to check out the light novels to see if it will enthral me more.

Offline xJaPx

• Oh, Herro!
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 06:55:20 »
I read the manga, and honestly, it doesn't have the same impact as wathcing the anime.  or maybe i'm just easily impressed and have sent you all on a wild goose chase, lol
| Poker MX Red |

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 07:00:54 »
One day I'll watch the anime. Just gotta find the right groove to actually pay attention to a TV, instead of it being in the background. Currently reading Akame ga Kiru(kill?), was skeptical at first, but killing off one of the first characters kind of drew me in. And followed suit with death playing a major role, just like when I first started to read Gantz.

Offline Excaliborg

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 11:47:08 »
Gantz makes me wish that I was more interested in reading manga. I saw a few chapters past the part where they decided to give the anime that terrible ending and it was really interesting seeing all the other groups of people that were not in the anime at all.

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 10:20:34 »
Been reading the Gantz manga for years, now, and it's completely worth it if you enjoyed the anime.  Personally, though, it's been slipping the last few months (maybe a year).  Just not enjoying the way the story is playing out now.
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 10:34:46 »
Been reading the Gantz manga for years, now, and it's completely worth it if you enjoyed the anime.  Personally, though, it's been slipping the last few months (maybe a year).  Just not enjoying the way the story is playing out now.

Gotta check that out

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 18:07:17 »

Can you say "TAE CHAAAAAAAN" ? hahah

Yea it has been slipping, but getting to that point is well worth the ride.

Offline Okita

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 16 August 2012, 03:13:11 »
Must Watches:

Cowboy Bebop
Lupin the Third
Samurai Champloo
Ghost In The Shell
Great Teacher Onizuka
Initial D (season 1)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #99 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 03:39:43 »
A friend just reminded me last night Gundam 00 is probably my favorite gundam. It kept my attention so well i finished it in 3 days.