Author Topic: Who was SmallFry  (Read 182470 times)

Offline GeeGee

• ㅈ ㅈ
Who was SmallFry
« on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 05:16:39 »
Hey guys,
I'm somewhat new here and I always see all of these 'Remember SmallFry' sigs and pictures.
Who was SmallFry? And what happened to him?
Ducky Shine 2 with Blues
Poker 2 with Reds
KMAC Korean Custom with Clears
ReΛlforce 87u 55g
456GT

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Re: Who was SmallFry
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 05:19:33 »
All info in this thread

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 05:48:49 »
A good guy :)
SmallFry! <3

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 05:52:59 »
A good friend of many and a very valuable member of the Geekhack community who was taken from us far too soon.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline GeeGee

• ㅈ ㅈ
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 06:00:41 »
Ducky Shine 2 with Blues
Poker 2 with Reds
ReΛlforce 87u 55g
456GT

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 06:02:00 »
Jesus this feels strange, I can't imagine someone asking this question 2 months ago.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline GeeGee

• ㅈ ㅈ
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 06:02:57 »
A good friend of many and a very valuable member of the Geekhack community who was taken from us far too soon.
Yeah from what I've just read I can tell how important he was to everyone on here.
It seems like he was a very likeable person. Shame I never got to meet him.
Ducky Shine 2 with Blues
Poker 2 with Reds
ReΛlforce 87u 55g
456GT

Offline GeeGee

• ㅈ ㅈ
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 06:03:55 »
Jesus this feels strange, I can't imagine someone asking this question 2 months ago.
Sorry, as I've said I'm new. :)
Ducky Shine 2 with Blues
Poker 2 with Reds
ReΛlforce 87u 55g
456GT

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 06:05:09 »
I'm new here as well, but I've read through his memorial threads, as well as the update thread from when it happened.

I know it's always hard to lose a friend, especially one that you know you could have, and should have gotten to know better. I've been there, but the best thing you can do is let his family know how much he was loved, and remind them year after year. Let them know when you think of him 6 months, 2 years, or even 10 years from know. Let them know he still has a place in your heart.

I wish I could have known him, and it's things like this that makes you value the little friendships you make all the more.
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 06:05:55 »
He is/was a real gentleman and a very valuable GH member. R.I.P
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 06:08:37 »
GeeGee, I wasn't having a go at you, I was just saying it feels strange, very strange.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 06:09:21 »
I'm new here as well, but I've read through his memorial threads, as well as the update thread from when it happened.

I know it's always hard to lose a friend, especially one that you know you could have, and should have gotten to know better. I've been there, but the best thing you can do is let his family know how much he was loved, and remind them year after year. Let them know when you think of him 6 months, 2 years, or even 10 years from know. Let them know he still has a place in your heart.

I wish I could have known him, and it's things like this that makes you value the little friendships you make all the more.
<3
SmallFry! <3

Offline GeeGee

• ㅈ ㅈ
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 06:12:41 »
GeeGee, I wasn't having a go at you, I was just saying it feels strange, very strange.
I know ;). I understand how this feels since everyone loved him and keeps his memory alive. I was just wondering who exactly he was.
Ducky Shine 2 with Blues
Poker 2 with Reds
ReΛlforce 87u 55g
456GT

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 08:23:05 »

I am still trying to get used to "Who was Ripster?"
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 09:08:25 »

Ripster still comes by ;)

I know ;). I understand how this feels since everyone loved him and keeps his memory alive. I was just wondering who exactly he was.
He was a very active member. He used to greet all the new members as well as help them with their newbie questions.
SmallFry! <3

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 10:56:52 »
He was an enigma, he was the kid every geekhack geek wished they were.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 10:57:47 »

I wish I could show how much I appreciate your thoughts!

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 11:00:38 »

I wish I could show how much I appreciate your thoughts!

I do, the first 10 sticker sheets you order in my IC thread and the GH 6th anniv special keycahin will be free for you!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 11:06:47 »
My friend and my mentor into the world of keyboards. He pretty much taught me everything I know about boards. I used to joke with him he was my keyboard professor and I was getting a Master's in keyboards from him in my spare time. I miss him.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 11:34:09 »

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 00:17:34 »
He really was a great guy.  Helpful as could be. and the most passionate about keyboards of anyone here...
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 04:59:47 »
He knew a lot and was always trying to learn more but also took time to share what he knew with anyone who needed help.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 05:04:25 »
Yeah I have to say it's been quite bizarre the last month or so, I've only been a member since March and going through all the old threads that I haven't read yet seeing his posts is very sobering. RIP.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline zenuty

• WTS : Duck, Pla, Acrylic 3 Pokers
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 06:57:56 »
A good friend

He remind to me good guy forever

He always smile looks to geek hack
LINE ID : zenuty
Skype ID : zenuty
www.facebook.com/zenuty

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 08:57:14 »

cptbadass, mashby and i will be visiting him and his family this sunday after keycon. i know cptbadass and i plan on keeping in touch with them and visiting him occasionally. he'll always be with us. personally, when i think about nate, i'm reminded of why i'm here and why i put the time effort i do into this site. as some of you know, i have experience teaching engineering at the college level and i absolutely could not stand it. for every bright, interested student there were ten who could only see their paycheck after they graduated. on geekhack, kids like smallfry show up voluntarily, soak up information like the sponges they are, and do amazing things every day with that information, and i get the honor of helping them along, and seeing those amazing things unfold.

in short, smallfry was a smart, talented kid, with a positive go-get-er attitude. smallfry was a friend that i thought i would know for the rest of my life, and i would be able to watch as he did amazing things with whatever information i could help him absorb. smallfry showed me that it is possible to teach. smallfry was someone i dearly miss.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 August 2013, 09:22:33 by mkawa »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 09:20:06 »
I really wish I got to know him better. We need more people like him in the world. Being just 17 he was a real refreshment from what I am used to. I don't know any highschooler as polite and trying as he was. I'm sure it would have been easy being around him. He's quite easy to talk to in IRC as well as here. No question was a waste of his time. <3
SmallFry! <3

Offline GeeGee

• ㅈ ㅈ
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 09:44:56 »
God this thread went a lot deeper than I thought it would go ;_; 
Right now I regret that I didn't join GH earlier to meet SF.
Even though I never met him I can clearly see how important he was to this community and as a person.
I also really apriciate that you guys are going to visit his family.
Thanks to everyone
Ducky Shine 2 with Blues
Poker 2 with Reds
ReΛlforce 87u 55g
456GT

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 16:52:38 »
cptbadass, mashby and i will be visiting him and his family this sunday after keycon. i know cptbadass and i plan on keeping in touch with them and visiting him occasionally. he'll always be with us. personally, when i think about nate, i'm reminded of why i'm here and why i put the time effort i do into this site. as some of you know, i have experience teaching engineering at the college level and i absolutely could not stand it. for every bright, interested student there were ten who could only see their paycheck after they graduated. on geekhack, kids like smallfry show up voluntarily, soak up information like the sponges they are, and do amazing things every day with that information, and i get the honor of helping them along, and seeing those amazing things unfold.

in short, smallfry was a smart, talented kid, with a positive go-get-er attitude. smallfry was a friend that i thought i would know for the rest of my life, and i would be able to watch as he did amazing things with whatever information i could help him absorb. smallfry showed me that it is possible to teach. smallfry was someone i dearly miss.
When you do visit them, please give them my condolences, and I so wish I was in the US, i know for a fact I would have gone along. And ming, every time I read a post of yours regarding Nate, it tears me from the inside, I see how much he meant to you and how big a hole there is in your life after his demise, I thought I should let you know that we understand your sentiment and are along your side.

God this thread went a lot deeper than I thought it would go ;_; 
Right now I regret that I didn't join GH earlier to meet SF.
Even though I never met him I can clearly see how important he was to this community and as a person.
I also really apriciate that you guys are going to visit his family.
Thanks to everyone
The depth of this thread and the depth of members' actions towards Nate, his legacy, memory, and family are a strong gauge of how much he meant to us.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 01:42:22 »

Very touching and real. Thanks for sharing that :)

My friend and my mentor into the world of keyboards........
.......... I miss him.

The greatest compliment and memory :)

Funny stuff.
I bet Nate would have said that too :)
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline rurushu

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 09:57:07 »
a good guy... a friend of GHackers.... no doubt...  :'( :'( :'(

Offline adhoc

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 05:18:41 »
I haven't been a registered user then, but I have lurked these parts enough to "know" him. He was a very active member of this board, whos life was ended way, way, WAY too soon.

I've been reading up some old(er) threads on Friday and I ran into a few posts of his - it's a really odd feeling, isn't it? Reading something from a person that you know is now no longer with us.

Offline Travellerr

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 14:34:56 »
I am actually really happy I read about it from going onto this thread, and for everyone that cared and loved him, I am sorry for the loss and I know it is hard when someone is taken to soon, for I have lost my best friend this past year at the age of 30. I know that is awesome how everyone that was close with him or at least respected him does a lot in his memory by posting things about him as a person and as a member of this community. I too wish I met him he seemed like a gentleman and a scholar. 
Leopold FC660C- Realforce 87u 55g- QFR mx Blues

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 13:58:17 »
I never felt right about commenting on this stuff while I was a lurker, but I wanted to share my condolences and respects with everyone who was friends with SmallFry now that I'm not just hiding.  :/
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 April 2014, 16:43:52 by cherpalla »
c h e r

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 12:39:12 »
After spending some time on this forum, I feel it is right to pay my respects to such an integral community member.

Being an empathetic person, I have the chills after reading this thread (and from reading other related discussions).

With that being said, my most genuine, and deepest condolences go out to anyone who has been affected by this unfortunate event.

My hat is off to you, bredrin SmallFry. May your knowledge and positive attitude live on with GH until the end of the Internet. Salute! :)

Blessings and love to all,

Lurch
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline EvilHMB

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 06:53:57 »
man, its like 5 Am for me right now. I really didnt expect these feels. >.<; condolences. Smallfry seems to have been a  great person ._.;

DasKeyboard4Professional   KBTalking Pro              HHKB Professional
( Blue Switches)                  ( Red Switches)

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 22:10:37 »
It's touching that the few of you that have posted the last 6 months in memory of Nathan.

Thank you for the words.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline ANightOnCloudNine

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 02:53:25 »
I look at this thread all the time but never posted till now, Smallfry seems like a nice guy I wish I could have introduced myself to and to become a friend of, I don't know him but I wish the best for the ones who did.

Offline typo

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 18:08:26 »
He was a good guy. The way he passed is very messed up. I live in a much more rural area and unfortunately this happens like once a month. People, please slow down and drive appropriately. In his memory and everyone else this happened to.   

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 23:14:43 »
I was just messing around in my Steam profile and was looking through the friends list when Smallfry's name caught my eye. Completely out of nowhere I actually start to get choked up reminiscing. It's so weird how these kinds of events can come back to catch you so unexpectedly and drudge up memories.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 09:17:41 »
I got a Phantom PCB the other day and it has the words 'RIP Smallfry' written on it. Reading this thread and seeing how he died and all the love people had for him, it's nice that he can have some small legacy within this hobby which he was so passionate about. Enough that someone new like me can come along years later and still get some sense of how much he meant to the community.

Offline Baby_Fry

• SmallFry's baby sister.
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 21:24:29 »
I was just messing around in my Steam profile and was looking through the friends list when Smallfry's name caught my eye. Completely out of nowhere I actually start to get choked up reminiscing. It's so weird how these kinds of events can come back to catch you so unexpectedly and drudge up memories.

Honestly, it was probably me. I tend to use Nathan's username on my gaming devices now and I hope to get more active here now. (I know this is a very late reply to your message.) For those of you who remember Nate, I'm his younger sister. My name is Emily, I'm 21 (22 on Saturday!) now, I am almost done with college, and I am hoping to custom build a keyboard for my boyfriend's new gaming computer. I hope to connect with y'all the same way my brother did. Nate was a really big inspiration for me and I miss him terribly.
Thanks much,
BabyFry

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 22:03:10 »

Honestly, it was probably me. I tend to use Nathan's username on my gaming devices now and I hope to get more active here now. (I know this is a very late reply to your message.) For those of you who remember Nate, I'm his younger sister. My name is Emily, I'm 21 (22 on Saturday!) now, I am almost done with college, and I am hoping to custom build a keyboard for my boyfriend's new gaming computer. I hope to connect with y'all the same way my brother did. Nate was a really big inspiration for me and I miss him terribly.

hey welcome. can't believe the last time i would have spoken to you is 7 years ago at the first keycon. Hope your family's doing well, it's really endearing to hear you've taken an interest in the hobby. puddsy and I were actually talking about your brother the other day, thinking how he might react to seeing how enormous this hobby has become. It's certainly not the same without him. A lot of people he would have talked to have moved on from the hobby but there's still a wealth of knowledge around so let us know how we can help :)
I love Elzy

Offline typo

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 22:36:09 »
Smallfry was my personal friend. I mean I knew him in person. I thought at 17 he would most certainly outlive me. I live 8 hours from them. I am older than his Great Grandfather. Yet his parents did not mind. I am not exactly a molester if you knew me. I have said this every time this comes up. They are not even rural. Rural tractor accidents is the ONLY killer other than natural death out here. Please be more careful in your cars and for the love of the lord don't drive under the influence. I in no way mean to undermine the tragedy of my beloved friend Nate. However let us save just someone in his memory please.

I would go with you guys for sure. There is only one problem. I am dying now. I am hooked up to a bunch of machines. I really do not want to say my name in the public forum but they will know who "typo" is. Please pay my condolences. Soon I will be with him. We will enjoy all the things we did in the flesh. I am sure. He knew so much. When I could not get something working he knew exactly what was wrong. This was by no means limited to keyboards either. He was honestly a genius for just 17.

mkawa it is nice to see you here. I seem to always miss you. Or you just stay away from me because you can't deal with mentally ill. Either way it is over soon.
I am very glad you are going to pay your respects. That means a lot. It is nice to see you here to Emily. Words cannot explain how sorry I am about the loss of your brother. A man my age should die. Not a 17 year old. When I get there I will tell him how much he is loved.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 12:15:07 »

:eek:  Welcome back!  It was so great to meet you and your parents at the first KeyCon; it meant a lot for you all to open your lives to us and embrace us weirdos that Nate used to hang out with.  :)  Like Sifo said, let us know if there's anything at all we can do to help. 

Hope to see you around here more.

Offline Baby_Fry

• SmallFry's baby sister.
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 14 November 2020, 14:29:41 »

hey welcome. can't believe the last time i would have spoken to you is 7 years ago at the first keycon. Hope your family's doing well, it's really endearing to hear you've taken an interest in the hobby. puddsy and I were actually talking about your brother the other day, thinking how he might react to seeing how enormous this hobby has become. It's certainly not the same without him. A lot of people he would have talked to have moved on from the hobby but there's still a wealth of knowledge around so let us know how we can help :)

When Nate was getting into the hobby, there is one thing I always used to remember. Whenever we would take the bus home (which was a lot, since he struggled with keeping his grades good enough for our parents to let him drive me to school), we had the same conversation every day. In his dumb excited tone (you guys probably know the one if you met him in person, it sounded kind of like a muffled Simpson's character), he would say "Hi Em" and I would respond "Hi Nate". He would ask "How are you?" and I would say "Good, how are you?", to which he would always say "Good". And then I would ask if he was expecting anything in the mail. He LOVED showing me everything he was getting, which our parents had no idea was coming to our house. I always thought it was funny how little our parents knew about how much he had. And he almost never spent a dime! About an hour of our time before working on homework when we got home was messing around with his new keyboard stuff and him teaching me why it was cool. He would explain EVERYTHING. Those are some of the best memories I have with my brother. I'll be around here more now, hopefully, with the pandemic and all, and I'll keep y'all updated about me and my family.
Thanks much,
BabyFry