geekhack Community > Off Topic

What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)

<< < (5801/6073) > >>

yui:

--- Quote from: noisyturtle on Sun, 17 October 2021, 21:30:45 ---So I told HR how unhappy I was at work and they basically gave me an ultimatum of putting in a resignation soon or getting fired later.
Super glad I mentioned it /s

Is that even legal?

--- End quote ---
sorry for being late, i have not been active in a while.
at least in France it is completely illegal, i would not expect it to be legal anywhere in western europe, but then illegal does not mean company will not try.

noisyturtle:
If you bought only $1000 of Shiba Inu Coin one year ago, you would have over $650 million today.

tp4tissue:

--- Quote from: noisyturtle on Thu, 28 October 2021, 13:49:16 ---If you bought only $1000 of Shiba Inu Coin one year ago, you would have over $650 million today.

--- End quote ---

That's not how it works, The market can not digest a sale like that. so it's only 650 on paper.

noisyturtle:

--- Quote from: tp4tissue on Thu, 28 October 2021, 14:06:06 ---
--- Quote from: noisyturtle on Thu, 28 October 2021, 13:49:16 ---If you bought only $1000 of Shiba Inu Coin one year ago, you would have over $650 million today.

--- End quote ---

That's not how it works, The market can not digest a sale like that. so it's only 650 on paper.

--- End quote ---

The market cap is $38 billion, you should be fine.

Leslieann:
No, TP means, it's like stocks, as soon as you try and sell a few million worth of it the value will plummet due to you flooding the market.

It's the same for the Winkelvoss twins, they have several billion worth of bitcoin but they can't cash it out in a hurry without wiping out the market. Same for Elon with Doge. Almost every coin has a few major backers who, while rich as hell on paper if they could sell it, simply can't. You can't even cash out that much cash from multiple banks without causing a crash. And yes this is partly why coins so often do crash, it's too few top investors, all it takes is a single whale to bring it down or use it for a pump and dump (Elon...).

One MAJOR difference here though between coins and stocks.
People love to claim Bezos' wealth is all on paper, he doesn't actually have THAT much money, "it's not liquid!" they cry. While true to an extent, this is a falsehood. True, it's not liquid (it can't be), and he can't cash it out without crashing Amazon stock, not that you could from a bank either(!), but why would he need to cash out $50 bil, let alone $100bil worth of it. First, you can take out loans against it for pretty much nothing, "but there's interest on a loan". True, but the interest, if below the interest rate which can and does happen with these sorts of things, means that over the length of the loan you can actually MAKE money, this is complicated but it works with a low enough rate. Second, what is he going to buy with it? He has the mansion, he has the yacht, he needs nothing and there's pretty much nothing you can buy for $5bil let alone $50bil that isn't going to make you more money and this means you can take a loan using itself as collateral, not to mention use your stock and their own stock to buy it.  It's the same as owning a house, you can't just take money out of your house, but you can take a loan against it, it's as good as money if you know how to use it and guys like this have hoards of accountants who know exactly how to do so and in seconds, not days or weeks like it does for you. Bitcoin on the other hand, no one is going to give you a loan against it (with some exceptions). But again, the only way you would would need this sort of cash is if you were doing a startup, but you wouldn't fund the whole thing yourself anyhow. If Bezos was willing to throw even a $100mil into a company other investors would be beating down his door to get involved and he can cash out $100mil so why would he risk $50bil on it?

You cannot equate this sort of wealth with common money like you have in the bank, it doesn't work that way.
Sure Bezos may not have $150bil in the bank, he doesn't need it. No one does. Media and politicians love to say this sort of thing because it stops you from asking questions and trying to tax them on it but it is very much as good as money.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version