Author Topic: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)  (Read 4142030 times)

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
Re: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 15:13:59 »
There's a lady handing out letters to children whom she thinks are 'obese' telling them that and that they do not need any candy.

At the very least she could have proof read her letter. Your** is**. But honestly, what a fantastic way to ruin one of the few great days these kids probably ever get.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 15:17:13 »
College Apps and whatnot. the whole college process is extremely stressful

Finishing up my ED options and EAs...lot of essays and apps

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 15:19:05 »
There's a lady handing out letters to children whom she thinks are 'obese' telling them that and that they do not need any candy.

At the very least she could have proof read her letter. Your** is**. But honestly, what a fantastic way to ruin one of the few great days these kids probably ever get.

I don't know. If they're eating as often as this lady seems to believe, every day is probably a great day.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 23:44:57 »
What bothers me? When I take out a few cookies and open the fridge only to find I'm all out of demik

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 23:55:28 »
What bothers me? When I take out a few cookies and open the fridge only to find I'm all out of demik

No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 00:05:19 »
What bothers me? When I take out a few cookies and open the fridge only to find I'm all out of demilk

FTFY!

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 00:16:29 »
My company decided not to pay everyone yesterday. Clerical error apparently, doesn't ****ing help me pay my bills though.

Wankers!
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 00:52:37 »
My company decided not to pay everyone yesterday. Clerical error apparently, doesn't ****ing help me pay my bills though.

Wankers!

At least you have a job.  Apparently I'm either overqualified or underqualified for everything I'm applying to.  But hey, I finally got a job (or will once the bloody urgent care center unloses my physical), too bad it's part time and only pays $10.24 an hour (a pittance in Southern California).  Hopefully I can move up into a full time city job from the position though.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 01:03:47 »

Wankers!

At least you have a job.  Apparently I'm either overqualified or underqualified for everything I'm applying to.  But hey, I finally got a job (or will once the bloody urgent care center unloses my physical), too bad it's part time and only pays $10.24 an hour (a pittance in Southern California).  Hopefully I can move up into a full time city job from the position though.

That's rough mate. I'm actually wanting to move on from my current employer but the job market in IT has turned to **** in Australia the last year or so.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 01:09:24 »
That's rough mate. I'm actually wanting to move on from my current employer but the job market in IT has turned to **** in Australia the last year or so.

I've been unemployed for a year now and I'm not even kidding when I say I've put in over 1k applications, about half of which included tailored cover letters.  That's including jobs like online community management which I've had experience with as a mod of Reddit's /r/buildapc and PR/marketing jobs, areas where I have 2 years of experience.  The only job offer I've had was for a marketing position that was paying well under the going rate, putting me at a net of ~$25k a year after gas costs for driving to and from the job.  When I countered with a reasonable wage expectation for the position (which I was told to do by an employee at the company), they pulled the offer off the table.

The job market in the US, especially California, is just **** for grads unless you know the right people, get the right unpaid internships, or have a degree in the right specialization.  Hence why I'll be spending my days checking in and shelving books at the library.  At least it's not flipping burgers.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 01:12:14 »

I've been unemployed for a year now and I'm not even kidding when I say I've put in over 1k applications, about half of which included tailored cover letters.  That's including jobs like online community management which I've had experience with as a mod of Reddit's /r/buildapc and PR/marketing jobs, areas where I have 2 years of experience.  The only job offer I've had was for a marketing position that was paying well under the going rate, putting me at a net of ~$25k a year after gas costs for driving to and from the job.  When I countered with a reasonable wage expectation for the position (which I was told to do by an employee at the company), they pulled the offer off the table.

The job market in the US, especially California, is just **** for grads unless you know the right people, get the right unpaid internships, or have a degree in the right specialization.  Hence why I'll be spending my days checking in and shelving books at the library.  At least it's not flipping burgers.

:o

Good to see you haven't given up at least, I don't think I'd fare as well.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 01:16:32 »
hey, don't talk down those that do flip burgers. An honest living is an honest living.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 01:19:32 »
hey, don't talk down those that do flip burgers. An honest living is an honest living.

Damn right, I've got a lot more respect for someone who'll work a job they hate than someone who just gives up and goes on benefits.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 01:21:30 »

Damn right, I've got a lot more respect for someone who'll work a job they hate than someone who just gives up and goes on benefits.

ill just leave this here

hook is right on point

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 01:22:42 »

That it is, but it's damn depressing to get your M.A. and discover that that's one of the few jobs hiring (or that's how it feels).  I should have gone to a trade school or apprenticed myself.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 01:24:18 »
Yeah, it sucks. High schools need to stop pushing this "go to college and you'll get a job" song and dance and be truthful to kids.

a degree does not equal a job, and learning a trade/going to trade school isn't for people that "couldn't make it"

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 01:26:05 »

That it is, but it's damn depressing to get your M.A. and discover that that's one of the few jobs hiring (or that's how it feels).  I should have gone to a trade school or apprenticed myself.

Yep. I'm currently retraining to get myself out of my current job, the landscape has changed drastically in the last 5 years or so which has left me earning less than most 2nd year apprentices. Should have been a plumber.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 01:28:10 »
Yeah, it sucks. High schools need to stop pushing this "go to college and you'll get a job" song and dance and be truthful to kids.

a degree does not equal a job, and learning a trade/going to trade school isn't for people that "couldn't make it"

Agree with that 100%.  And bring back auto shop and wood shop.  Book smarts isn't the only kind of smarts.  Some people are technically inclined and others are more inclined to the sciences.  Just because you can look at a car and understand how it works and how to fix it but can't figure out an algebra problem doesn't mean you're dumb, it just means you have a different kind of intelligence.  Intelligence is intelligence regardless of how it's manifested.  The disrespect we show manual labor and the trades is one of the worst things to happen in the US.

And, hell, there are many trades that make people more than someone who went to college.  I know some people who went to trade school and are making $60-80k a year.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 01:29:31 »

Agree with that 100%.  And bring back auto shop and wood shop.  Book smarts isn't the only kind of smarts.  Some people are technically inclined and others are more inclined to the sciences.  Just because you can look at a car and understand how it works and how to fix it but can't figure out an algebra problem doesn't mean you're dumb, it just means you have a different kind of intelligence.  Intelligence is intelligence regardless of how it's manifested.  The disrespect we show manual labor and the trades is one of the worst things to happen in the US.

And, hell, there are many trades that make people more than someone who went to college.  I know some people who went to trade school and are making $60-80k a year.

Oh I totally appreciate that tradies are well paid, it's more the fact that an un-qualified 18 year old is earning more than me when I've got qualifications out the arse-hole and nearly a decade worth of experience.

Offline nine

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 01:30:57 »
Gee. Now college apps seem way more appealing. /s

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 01:32:03 »
Yup. I got in an argument with my cousin because he got offered a robotics class but was going to drop it for a college prep class instead because "that'll get me into college and get me a job". I told him he was in for a rude awakening. Luckily he listened and stayed in the class though.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 01:39:06 »
Yup. I got in an argument with my cousin because he got offered a robotics class but was going to drop it for a college prep class instead because "that'll get me into college and get me a job". I told him he was in for a rude awakening. Luckily he listened and stayed in the class though.

I got in an argument with someone at the University of Washington who was a tutor for athletes.  I told her it was unfair to tell everyone that they needed to go to college when some people weren't cut out for it, including many of the athletes I taught.  Some people just have different kinds of intelligence and telling them they have to go to college can set them up for a life of failure.  Of course she got super pissed at me, but, hey, I can't help it that we have athletes who are in college because of their athleticism instead of their aptitude for the kind of education college provides.  Who cares that they major in communications, gen ed, or an athletics related degree, all of which are easy and worhtless and a degree than ~25-50% of them won't finish (at least for those on scholarship).

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 01:43:43 »
Indeed. College is not for everyone. For some it will be a waste of time and a lot of money. Now if only we could change the attitudes schools have about pushing it onto everybody we would be set. That and teaching kids how to manage their money.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 01:47:11 »
Indeed. College is not for everyone. For some it will be a waste of time and a lot of money. Now if only we could change the attitudes schools have about pushing it onto everybody we would be set. That and teaching kids how to manage their money.

When are we going to get tequila (I do like Espolon) or beers together demik.  We are like peas in a pod.  Maybe we should take up Badwrench's offer and hit up Stone this weekend.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 02:03:23 »
My old high school still has auto shop but I spoke to my old teacher and he told me that after my grade left none of the students show any interest in it at all. We used to have a school race car that the class built, maintained, upgraded and drag raced 2 or three weekends a year where a few lucky students like myself would serve as pit crew. That program is long gone now. Our double credit wood shop class would build garages from the foundation up and also shingle roofs every day around town but another teacher stopped us from doing that kind of work on the grounds that it was "unsafe" for students. What a way to put an end to something that was not only extremely beneficial for real life experience but also great for the community. I'm glad I got to participate in all these things in my high school years.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 06:32:43 »
Hence why I'll be spending my days checking in and shelving books at the library.

One of the many jobs I've had was circulation desk my first year in college! Actually it was one of the better jobs I've ever had, the library was very impressive and huge, it was easy to spend an entire shift with just a huge cart of books and shelves!

When things were slow we would always play guess who has the McDonalds good hidden in their backpack....you could smell the frieds a mile away haha!!

Plus at that job if you worked 7 extra minutes you got paid for 15 and if you worked 15 extra you got paid an extra 30 minutes.

And at the time I had no idea about anything keyboards but thinking back I'm fairly certain all the computers had buckling springs keyboards, I remember typing on them and they were definitely BS.

Offline Flamingchook

• There are no dumb questions, only forbidden ones.
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 07:00:28 »
My old high school still has auto shop but I spoke to my old teacher and he told me that after my grade left none of the students show any interest in it at all. We used to have a school race car that the class built, maintained, upgraded and drag raced 2 or three weekends a year where a few lucky students like myself would serve as pit crew. That program is long gone now. Our double credit wood shop class would build garages from the foundation up and also shingle roofs every day around town but another teacher stopped us from doing that kind of work on the grounds that it was "unsafe" for students. What a way to put an end to something that was not only extremely beneficial for real life experience but also great for the community. I'm glad I got to participate in all these things in my high school years.

Schools teaching actual life experience skills? This was a thing once?
MX: Filco Majestouch Metalic Blue 104-key w/ MX Brown, JD40 w/ MX Green, ErgoDox w/ MX Blue, GHPad w/ MX Blue. Topre: Realforce 87U 45g. BS: IBM Model M 52G9700 29-OCT-93
Soon™: GH60 w/ 62g MX Clear, [CTRL]ALT 60 w/ MX Green

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 08:57:07 »
When people say "I could care less...." about something.  That means that you care somewhat and you could give less cares about something.  What you should be saying is "I couldn't care less..."

That is my biggest pet peeve right there folks.  At least biggest that I can think of.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 09:01:24 »
When people say "I could care less...." about something.  That means that you care somewhat and you could give less cares about something.  What you should be saying is "I couldn't care less..."

That is my biggest pet peeve right there folks.  At least biggest that I can think of.

I could care...oh wait... :p

I'm getting tired of , 'It is what it is."

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 09:02:17 »

I don't care.

Solved that issue for you!
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 09:09:21 »
I don't care either.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline iri

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 09:09:35 »
I'm getting tired of , 'It is what it is."
what about "you gotta do what you gotta do"?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 09:16:14 »

That sucks. What did you major in?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 11:28:09 »

Once upon a blue moon. Then over protective parents started ****fying everything. Cant do this because little johnny might hurt himself. Cant do that because little susie might not succeed.

I took wood working, metal, home economics (where we had to partner up and actually manage a home), cooking and childcare (where I learned I never want kids). I do wish I was taught how to manage money because I am terrible at it :(.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 11:42:15 »

Once upon a blue moon. Then over protective parents started ****fying everything. Cant do this because little johnny might hurt himself. Cant do that because little susie might not succeed.

I took wood working, metal, home economics (where we had to partner up and actually manage a home), cooking and childcare (where I learned I never want kids). I do wish I was taught how to manage money because I am terrible at it :( .

Back in the day when kids were allowed to saw things both wood and metal even use lathes and use torches on car parts and even handle toxic substances (oil and gas). I'm surprised they still let high school kids play tackle football. Do they even have home economics anymore??

I even remember way back in the day we had as an elective, technology, where we got to play with robots, fiber optics, physics, etc. and my personal favorite and it was a 'new' thing no one at the school had ever used, a hand held black and white scanner...I remember being picked to figure it out and show the teacher how it worked.

It was something like this

41964-0

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 11:59:29 »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 12:01:04 »

something like that  :-X

On another topic did I read right that New York is raising the legal smoking age to 21?

« Last Edit: Thu, 31 October 2013, 12:08:32 by SpAmRaY »

Offline iri

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 14:16:30 »
everyone asks me why i bought a pink mobile phone case
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 14:17:59 »
Ke$ha's new song disappointed me.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 16:00:12 »
whats bothering me right now is that i forgot to buy candy for trick or treaters, i put a sign saying "NO TREATS", and already at 5pm when there still is light out, i've had a half dozen kids knock on my door; i think the kids are trolling me.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 16:01:22 »
whats bothering me right now is that i forgot to buy candy for trick or treaters, i put a sign saying "NO TREATS", and already at 5pm when there still is light out, i've had a half dozen kids knock on my door; i think the kids are trolling me.

They can't read bro.....draw a picture with a bag of candy and put a big red X over it so they can see the picture

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 16:03:29 »
everyone asks me why i bought a pink mobile phone case

You did it on purpose.. what you're doing is known as "peacocking".

Peacocking:

Ostentatious dress or behaviour employed by a man in an attempt to impress women.

And now you're on a forum faux-complaining about it to get MORE attention...

You're an attention wh**e, and you use the extra attention you get from attention whoring, to wh**e MORE attention..

Clearly ur quite unloved..

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 16:04:28 »

They can't read bro.....draw a picture with a bag of candy and put a big red X over it so they can see the picture

I'm pretty sure the kids can read and are trolling me, they looked to be old enough. i live in a tightly packed townhouse community and most of the street knows we are the least-neighborly people on the block.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 16:06:21 »

I'm pretty sure the kids can read and are trolling me, they looked to be old enough. i live in a tightly packed townhouse community and most of the street knows we are the least-neighborly people on the block.

You gotta choose trick, then.

Be sure it's not a cop in disguise first, though.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 16:10:59 »

holy ****, that thought never crossed my mind, i think ill stick with not answering the door

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 16:14:08 »

Ur the evil neighbors house? with ghost? 

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #96 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 16:17:47 »

Show Image

not evil, just more of a feeling of "go **** yourself" to everyone.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 16:24:00 »

holy ****, that thought never crossed my mind, i think ill stick with not answering the door

turn on the sprinklers??

Offline iri

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 16:27:25 »
You're an attention wh**e, and you use the extra attention you get from attention whoring, to wh**e MORE attention..
wait... did you just talk to yourself?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 16:29:39 »

Show Image

not evil, just more of a feeling of "go **** yourself" to everyone.

Gotta be careful with that... some douch-ee kids might target ur house for vandalism..

Candy is a small price to pay... it's like the cheapest extortion/protection fee... EVER....

I think about it this way.