Author Topic: Unhacking the wallet  (Read 344340 times)

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
Re: Unhacking the wallet in 2015 - confessions of an addict (warning: long)
« Reply #150 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 23:06:27 »
My problem is artisan caps. They're rare so if you get into a sale or find a cap forsale you feel like you have to take part or forever lose your chance, then you have to search forever for one again.

The thing with keycaps especially the rare one, the liquidity is high in the market from what I see
so if one day you need money, somehow you can just sell at the price you get it and there will always/almost someone who will buy it

keyboards market is growing fast nowdays, especially in Asia

With pretty much all group buys you can guarantee a positive ROI (with the exception of non-limited edition items)

That being said I don't think anyone likes people who buy limited edition items just to resell them (myself included).

I think its best to join as many group buys as your budget allows - especially on keycaps. If you don't like them you can easily offload them to someone else and make their day :)

Offline Steven Tammen

« Reply #151 on: Sun, 26 July 2015, 14:19:27 »
You know, on my introduction thread Rowdy posted a link to this one and I'm really glad he did (it's a fantastic idea to do this with new members). Reading through this has actually prompted me to edit my original post since I realized this isn't something to joke about (and my post was, in essence, in jest).

Last month I bought a really nice guitar, learned a couple chord progressions in a few weeks, then returned it within the grace period (thankfully). I wanted to play guitar because I thought it would impress other people and make me seem like a more well-rounded person. When I actually got one, and realized the motives behind the purchase, I couldn't bring myself to do it. This brought on a period of sober introspection wherein I've gotten rid of pretty much everything I owned that I did not use or could not come up with a reason to keep. I was hard on myself -- nothing is left except the things I absolutely use (e.g., bed, fan, desk), will use for reference (e.g., textbooks), or derive pleasure from (e.g., jump ropes, history books, classical music). It has been one of the best decisions of my life, and in the process, I've gotten organized, have a spreadsheet of everything I own, and have a greater capacity to empathize with others who live with less. Obviously this extreme isn't for everyone, but it is possible to break free and control yourself. It's not easy though.

I think the most important quality of frugality is not recognizing what you can't have, but recognizing what you already have. I live in America. I have parents that value my education and are paying for my undergraduate degree so that I don't come out laden with debt. I have been blessed with intellect and have scholarships easing the load on my parents. But it could be different things for different people. Family; relationships; a passion for humanity and the plight of others; spirituality; there are plenty of things to find contentment in that don't require the acquiring of material possessions or FOMO thinking. If you define yourself by your needs, hopes, aspirations, and goals within the realm of keyboards, what other people have is only of concern so much as it enables you to enjoy a shared connection.

My purpose for joining GH was because I enjoyed the community spirit and valued the advice that could be obtained therein. Like others before me on this thread, I'm not here to have this become a dominant part of who I am, I'm here to get enough knowledge of keyboards to make the purchase that will tide me over for the rest of my life, and give back to the community as much as I can. I'm a very research oriented individual, and GH (along with DT and r/MechanicalKeyboards) provide the means to find the best keyboard for me based off the help of others who are more knowledgeable in the area than I am. I code for coursework and write a lot on the side, so typing (and keyboards) have become important to me since they directly affect things I am passionate about. It could be that you are passionate about keyboards themselves, or modding and the maker movement. Whatever you do, keyboards need to have a purpose when you buy them. The purpose for me is utilitarian. The purpose for you might be hours of enjoyment from soldering PCBs and switches and comparing ABS and PBT keycap sets. But we can't pass judgement on each other's motives because only we know the necessity or pointlessness of our own purchases, and only we can change ourselves -- if we are honest enough to look inward and see why we really do things.

Just my 2c

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #152 on: Sun, 26 July 2015, 14:55:23 »
You know, on my introduction thread Rowdy posted a link to this one and I'm really glad he did (it's a fantastic idea to do this with new members). Reading through this has actually prompted me to edit my original post since I realized this isn't something to joke about (and my post was, in essence, in jest).

Last month I bought a really nice guitar, learned a couple chord progressions in a few weeks, then returned it within the grace period (thankfully). I wanted to play guitar because I thought it would impress other people and make me seem like a more well-rounded person. When I actually got one, and realized the motives behind the purchase, I couldn't bring myself to do it. This brought on a period of sober introspection wherein I've gotten rid of pretty much everything I owned that I did not use or could not come up with a reason to keep. I was hard on myself -- nothing is left except the things I absolutely use (e.g., bed, fan, desk), will use for reference (e.g., textbooks), or derive pleasure from (e.g., jump ropes, history books, classical music). It has been one of the best decisions of my life, and in the process, I've gotten organized, have a spreadsheet of everything I own, and have a greater capacity to empathize with others who live with less. Obviously this extreme isn't for everyone, but it is possible to break free and control yourself. It's not easy though.

I think the most important quality of frugality is not recognizing what you can't have, but recognizing what you already have. I live in America. I have parents that value my education and are paying for my undergraduate degree so that I don't come out laden with debt. I have been blessed with intellect and have scholarships easing the load on my parents. But it could be different things for different people. Family; relationships; a passion for humanity and the plight of others; spirituality; there are plenty of things to find contentment in that don't require the acquiring of material possessions or FOMO thinking. If you define yourself by your needs, hopes, aspirations, and goals within the realm of keyboards, what other people have is only of concern so much as it enables you to enjoy a shared connection.

My purpose for joining GH was because I enjoyed the community spirit and valued the advice that could be obtained therein. Like others before me on this thread, I'm not here to have this become a dominant part of who I am, I'm here to get enough knowledge of keyboards to make the purchase that will tide me over for the rest of my life, and give back to the community as much as I can. I'm a very research oriented individual, and GH (along with DT and r/MechanicalKeyboards) provide the means to find the best keyboard for me based off the help of others who are more knowledgeable in the area than I am. I code for coursework and write a lot on the side, so typing (and keyboards) have become important to me since they directly affect things I am passionate about. It could be that you are passionate about keyboards themselves, or modding and the maker movement. Whatever you do, keyboards need to have a purpose when you buy them. The purpose for me is utilitarian. The purpose for you might be hours of enjoyment from soldering PCBs and switches and comparing ABS and PBT keycap sets. But we can't pass judgement on each other's motives because only we know the necessity or pointlessness of our own purchases, and only we can change ourselves -- if we are honest enough to look inward and see why we really do things.

Just my 2c

Good for you. I hope GeekHack's legacy reflects that sense of community you mentioned. I personally don't visit the classifieds. I've taken part in several group buys, though, and my favorite part about them is the sense of teamwork and camaraderie (and sometimes hype) leading up to the end of a buy, particularly towards the end.

Establish self control early on. It is a valuable life asset. It's especially unique for a college student. You will likely experience another wave of materialism, though, some day when you've become established in a career and are enjoying your first period of relative success. Just know that it's okay to responsibly indulge your interests and enjoy "things."

Among the objects of contentment you listed was spirituality. As a person whose faith is very important to me, I've noticed sometimes people think that having nice things is antithetical to religious devotion. But as Solomon says, "Here is what I have seen to be good and fitting: to eat, to drink and enjoy oneself in all one's labor in which he toils under the sun during the few years of his life which God has given him; for this is his reward." This obviously needs to be understood in context of everything else the Bible teaches (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control, to name a few). The point is, do your work, meet your obligations (family, etc.), and then enjoy life.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Steven Tammen

« Reply #153 on: Sun, 26 July 2015, 19:47:11 »
Good for you. I hope GeekHack's legacy reflects that sense of community you mentioned. I personally don't visit the classifieds. I've taken part in several group buys, though, and my favorite part about them is the sense of teamwork and camaraderie (and sometimes hype) leading up to the end of a buy, particularly towards the end.

Establish self control early on. It is a valuable life asset. It's especially unique for a college student. You will likely experience another wave of materialism, though, some day when you've become established in a career and are enjoying your first period of relative success. Just know that it's okay to responsibly indulge your interests and enjoy "things."

Among the objects of contentment you listed was spirituality. As a person whose faith is very important to me, I've noticed sometimes people think that having nice things is antithetical to religious devotion. But as Solomon says, "Here is what I have seen to be good and fitting: to eat, to drink and enjoy oneself in all one's labor in which he toils under the sun during the few years of his life which God has given him; for this is his reward." This obviously needs to be understood in context of everything else the Bible teaches (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control, to name a few). The point is, do your work, meet your obligations (family, etc.), and then enjoy life.

Thanks for your thoughts. I certainly wasn't trying to be all high and mighty about what I've done or anything, or trod on other people's conceptions of materialism. To me though, it is an all or nothing sort of thing. Either I'm defining myself through what I have, or I'm defining myself by my character and my use in the body of Christ. I couldn't find a balance that worked for me, but maybe its possible for people who aren't quite so philosophical about it.

I also wasn't trying to say that I never took pleasure in material things, (see: "jumpropes, history books, and classical music"), but simply that I tried to pare down my possessions to only the ones that I did actually use (which was actually a fairly small percentage on the whole). Ascetic monasticism has a rather bad track record, and the notion of getting rid of everything that brings you happiness brings to mind a good Lewis quote:

I now see that I spent most of my life in doing neither what I ought nor what I liked.

I don't really want to derail this thread with a discussion of a Christian philosophy of materialism, but it is important to keep in mind that Solomon wrote Ecclesiastes from the point of an unbeliever (i.e., everything is meaningless without God). Obviously, as Christians, we believe that there is more to life than our brief stint in the devil's world. You can certainly enjoy worldly things with the knowledge that everything comes by the hand of God (in fact we are called to such -- and gratitude), but this is not nearly "the point" of life. "The point" of life is to serve Jesus Christ and accomplish His will for us in our time on earth. Everything else is far second: not bad per se, but held at arms length as if venomous. We are not called to be lovers of the world.

I find that, especially with Ecclesiastes and other wisdom literature in the OT, you have to take the book as a whole, and context is more important than some other places in the Bible. For example, just a couple verses before we have:

Everyone comes naked from their mother’s womb,
    and as everyone comes, so they depart.
They take nothing from their toil
    that they can carry in their hands.

Ecclesiastes 5:15

and the sentiment is echoed elsewhere throughout the book:

I also thought, "As for men, God tests them so that they may see that they are like the animals. Man's fate is like that of the animals; the same fate awaits them both: As one dies, so dies the other. All have the same breath; man has no advantage over the animal. Everything is meaningless. All go to the same place; all come from dust and to dust all return. Who knows if the spirit of man rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?" So I saw that there is nothing better for a man than to enjoy his work, because that is his lot. For who can bring him to see what will happen after him?

Ecclesiastes 3:18-22

and even in the NT as well:

Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die.

1st Corinthians 15:32b

Work, hobbies, and material pursuits help numb us to the fact that death is an inevitability. Christians too need to work and eat (legitimate sources of secular pleasure and satisfaction); Christians are not enjoined from family relationships, or indeed from many potentially non-sinful activities in which the world engages for relaxation and entertainment (such as keyboard collecting); but Christians do need to recognize the fleeting and inconsequential nature of any and all activities not directly related to their primary relationship, their membership in the family of God the Father through faith in His Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

Even for those on this forum who don't share our belief, the prospect of death is often a powerful force for change and self-control. Think soberly about what it is you want to accomplish in life, and what is truly important, because time is limited.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #154 on: Sun, 26 July 2015, 23:13:03 »
Wow! Solomon and Screwtape, now I'm on familiar ground. Welcome to Geekhack. 

One thing that helps me unravel Ecclesiastes is to recognize the inclusio within it. Imagine the first 12 verses and the last 6 written by a host introducing a wise man who has observed life primarily "under the sun". The content between the intro and close is the best wisdom that the wise man could conclude from those observations. The end is a summation given by the host, completing what the wise man's understanding was lacking.

Not only does this explanation work literally but also clears up some inconsistent thoughts within the text.

As to the subject of this thread, we guys are especially vulnerable to being monomaniacal about things. It is often good. To be driven to excel in our careers, to accumulate for setting up a home and later for retirement, to passionately pursue those things which make us better people and an asset to our communities, these are all good if we can keep them in balance. I've been around 61 years and still struggle to keep things in proper moderation. Life seems to be a series of corrections to keep us on track.

In my own experience, although I have had my share of obsessions, I usually get through them with something to show from them. It might be a new skill, new friendships, greater understanding or sometimes just good memories. I have found that frequently when my interest begins to wane I will throw money at it to try to revive it. It is good to recognize this to keep from plunging to far into the red.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #155 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 14:31:30 »
I have always thought of Solomon as a counterpart to Job. Job was a man who had everything and lost it, and Solomon was a man who had everything and kept it. Both followed their own path through life and concluded the same thing--that life without God was vain and meaningless. In this way, I think Ecclesiastes is one of the most underutilized books of the Bible, not only for Christians, but also as a means to establish the Bible's authority and practical applicability with others as we share it. A lot of people outside of the Church could relate to Solomon's message, especially those approaching mid-life.

I appreciate the context and structure of the book, but I don't think you should dismiss Solomon's findings; he's still the wisest man that ever lived. And my point was that it's okay--and even necessary--to enjoy hobbies and recreation (such as keyboards) in moderation, balance, and proportion to life's other obligations.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #156 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 14:47:04 »
I think that we will just have to agree to agree on the points you made.

Offline Steven Tammen

« Reply #157 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 15:21:36 »
I appreciate the context and structure of the book, but I don't think you should dismiss Solomon's findings; he's still the wisest man that ever lived. And my point was that it's okay--and even necessary--to enjoy hobbies and recreation (such as keyboards) in moderation, balance, and proportion to life's other obligations.
I really don't think we're expressing different ideas, we're just using different words and emphasizing slightly different aspects of Solomon's message. Hobbies, recreation, and relaxation are God ordained and a necessary part of a believer's life. Moderation, like you said, is the important part. I think generally I tend to come down a bit harder than I probably should sometimes on such things because the Church visible in our day tends to emphasize them disproportionately and ignore the fearing God part of Solomon's message. Or, to put it more bluntly, I think people could do with a bit more sobriety and a bit less hedonism (on the whole). It's probably better in the overall scheme of things to pursue God a bit "too zealously" than not enough :).

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #158 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 15:28:12 »
My update : D

I downsized my whole collection and am selling all my extra stuff, and w/ the low end / medium customs I have, I sold enough of them to afford a high-end board. Once everything finishes selling, I will only have 2 boards and a few key sets.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #159 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 15:52:19 »

I downsized my whole collection and am selling all my extra stuff, and w/ the low end / medium customs I have, I sold enough of them to afford a high-end board. Once everything finishes selling, I will only have 2 boards and a few key sets.

Same here. I'm selling everything except a select few that I really like. The rest are just taking up space.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #160 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 22:03:59 »

...and a stack of Leeku PCB's.

My boards:
More

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #161 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 22:22:26 »

...and a stack of Leeku PCB's.
For the store, not me  ;D

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #162 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 16:22:42 »
Awe man.. Just when I think Im finally getting out. Im hooked back in big time! :o This hobby is too addicting..

Offline ANightOnCloudNine

« Reply #163 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 22:44:50 »
Really good story, I learned one thing, learn what you like, get it, stick with it.

Offline richfiles

« Reply #164 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 03:59:12 »
I'm more along the lines of I'm spending a lot, all at once, to get it right and stick with. I figure my yearly keyboard budget will be about $400-500... And then I just simply don't NEED to spend any more, cause I'll have what I wanted.

Spending about $240 on the Danger Zone keycap set, with a bunch of the extra key packs. I'm hoping we see a few more price breaks on the secondary sets as the next week goes by. With the extra key packs, I see no need to worry about future expansion, as I'll have a baggie of keys in a drawer to serve me if I decide "Oh! I need macros!".

Spent about $30 on Gateron MX Blues, and $20 on a Teensy.

Spent around $75 on a custom plate.

I will make all the remainder of the case myself, out of material on hand. I don't plan to do more than spend a couple bucks on screws.

I'll need one more teensy (Another $20) and a bluetooth module ($ ???) for my second keyboard project, a bluetooth Apple //c keyboard with Alps SKCM Ambers. I have had the keyboard in my parts pile for a decade or more. Again, I'll make a case, and at worst, end up buying a battery pack and some minor electronics. I want to keep that build lower cost, and witht he keyboard already fully assembled... I pretty much AM keeping it on the cheap!

After that, I really don't see a need to spend more. I've been fortunate enough to realize that I don't need a half dozen keyboards for my computer. At best, if I get a computer for my workshop in a few years from now, I'll probably do another "75% + 1" keyboard for it. Just for the sakes of variety, I'll decide on a new keycap set for it, and get the one set. Years from now, most likely.
"75% + 1" Keyboard with "Danger Zone" keycaps and magnetically detachable Number Pad. Dyed Gateron Blue switches with amber sub lighting. Blue anodized plate and wood trim. (Firmware in Progress)
Bluetooth Apple //c keyboard with Alps SKCM Amber Switches. (Build in Progress)

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #165 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 05:23:42 »
So far my strategy of buying the most expensive keyboard I could find and then nothing else is going nicely. Don't see myself ever buying another keyboard, just working through some restorarion and modding projects for the price of materials. Quality over quantity has been my modus operandi and I think that's been helpful.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #166 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 07:57:21 »
So far my strategy of buying the most expensive keyboard I could find and then nothing else is going nicely. Don't see myself ever buying another keyboard, just working through some restorarion and modding projects for the price of materials. Quality over quantity has been my modus operandi and I think that's been helpful.

The 356 Mini, right?  O.o 

And what about all those other keyboards in your sig?  ;)  :P

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #167 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 09:17:22 »

Denial is the currency of geekhack  :p

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #168 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 18:34:02 »

I don't know what you're talking about :P
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #169 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 09:52:59 »
Part of me is glad that RGBK doesn't look like it's going to make it. I only got paid five days ago and already my bank account is in the negative. I haven't even paid into my joint account yet. I need to sell my Ducky for real.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #170 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 05:56:03 »
lol
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 March 2016, 02:46:50 by swimmingbird »

Offline Belfong

« Reply #171 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 02:03:15 »
I'm going to open up a bit and admit that I've got a bit of a problem when it comes to spending on keyboards (not beyond my means though, just more than what should be spent).
I think this is a pretty common problem among Geekhack here, so nothing to fear, I guess.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #172 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 15:52:47 »
My problem is that I have a collector's itch and anytime I see something really cool I want to pick it up, even if I don't really need it.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #173 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 08:12:30 »
I'm going to open up a bit and admit that I've got a bit of a problem when it comes to spending on keyboards (not beyond my means though, just more than what should be spent).
I think this is a pretty common problem among Geekhack here, so nothing to fear, I guess.

This is my problem. I'm hoping it will slow down after having some keyboards and caps to work with (since I'm new to the scene I have literally nothing but a Filco right now) but I'm slowly being sucked into the world of artisans. But I mean I haven't been this excited about purchases - or anything material since I splurged on music equipment for my studio (mic/guitar/PA/amp), so I think that's a good sign. I don't often get excited about buying things, so I rarely do. But something about this hobby has got me going  :-X
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline E3E

« Reply #174 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 08:10:31 »
Personally, I'm kind of straggling to get by. I'm nearing on the edge of spending too much to manage and really should be looking out more for my future so I can raise my income to more comfortably support my tastes and my hobbies. Getting into this hobby started for me as a detour after finally upgrading my PC build for some video and audio editing optimization (lucky me, the last thing I upgraded was the keyboard. I went for the Rapoo KX. Well, that introduced me to this hobby. XP). Long story short, I've put off my endeavors there and have been super absorbed by this hobby. It does disgust me at times.

My form of damage control is realizing what I want and what I do not want. There was a time early in when I had the FOMO pretty bad, where I wanted a Mira just because of what it represented despite disliking TKL boards and knowing they weren't my type, where I wanted to buy every key cap set coming out. I remember being so upset I missed out on hwood's big Gateron switch buy, and now look, they are readily available. FOMO is the most dangerous aspect of this hobby. It preys upon the impulsive nature of one's personality. Even if you think you have good self-control, it is incredibly easy to get sucked into this vortex of plastic, steel, and aluminum, just wanting to buy all that you can. This is coming from someone who's typically very good with spending and who does not often buy things. This past year, since last March, I've spent over $1.5k on things that are completely irrelevant to anything but this hobby. Keyboards. If you have an ounce of a collector's mentality, a passion for rare or hard to find things, an ounce of materialism, this hobby will find it and clamp down on it until you figure out how to break away. Or maybe you just go on feeding it; maybe you can afford to do such things.

After a while, I realized that it was getting out of hand. I saw myself getting into group buys that weren't even relevant to what I cared for in a keyboard. I saw myself seeing something that seemed exotic or unique, and immediately I would plan on how to get it, how I'd manage my cash to afford it. After a while, I realized it was enough.

I ultimately decided that my favorite form factor and layout is 75%, and that is all I'll go for, particularly only Octagon revisions, and nothing else. I started to piece together what I wanted in this hobby, what I needed to fulfill my curiosities and what I truly desired out of all this. I tried to shake off wanting to be show off and doing this for vanity and tried to look more into practicality and personal expression. Reddit contributed to the vain aspect as well, since posting and commenting on /r/MK was really my first experience with social media. I usually stray away from it for various reasons, but I got bit by seeing everyone else. All that karma bullsh-t, everyone trying to be flashy or clever or witty just to be seen. I realized all that was meaningless in the end.

That allows me to sidestep a lot of buys without regret since I've rationalized the situation. Trying to just go for what I truly thought I'd like while staying somewhat reasonable. I've also realized that I enjoy Alps far more than Cherry MX (which is still nice, but uninteresting to me in comparison), which creates a huge clearing for me, away from the way more prevalent and expensive side of the hobby. The only vintages I am concerned with are Alps boards, so that cuts away the uber expensive Cherry vintage boards, and the (admittedly cool) Model F & M boards.

The only layout that is not optimal for me that I've been lax about has been 60%, but the Infinity was so I could have an Alps "custom," and the Duck Eagle build, which is my endgame 60% to stave things off until I get things straightened up again, represents a lot of qualities I want in my ideal portable keyboard, one that will also save me from finding reasons to buy/build more keyboards. The planned hotswapping is very important not just for the sake of being a neat idea, but to combat the compulsion to keep buying boards just because I have a surplus in switches. Ultimately, I'd say the 75% is my ideal layout for a daily driver while 60% is great for portability despite having a slight compromise in functionality.

The only things I can see pulling me toward more spending are the Octagon v2, and Alps key cap group buys.

I think I've at least managed to narrow down things a bit. I still want to grab Alps switch varieties of every type for my Eagle so that I can swap things out when I get bored of one flavor or another.

The main thing is that I do have a goal and have set limits. I'm just glad I'm not drooling over every new IC, GB, or classified that comes up anymore. I've realized personal goals are more important than going for something rare or flashy. Going for things that are borne from personal creative ideas and not just wanting to be a bigshot with rare boards definitely helps. It's easy to get lost in the vanity and materialism of this hobby.

I'm still trying to learn to temper myself and let certain things go, budgeting myself out. For example, if a board I really would like comes up for sale, but isn't so exceedingly uncommon that it possibly won't come up again, then I'll pass on it, knowing that I'll have another chance to get it some other time.  Yeah, I'll be feeling the burn to my obsessive side for not grabbing it, but I'll have relief in knowing that I'm also helping to cut back on those obsessive compulsive tendencies.

I think the worst moments I've ever had in this hobby were literally pacing back and forth considering what I should buy, and literally mulling over it for hours on end to convince myself it was fine. I was dealing with a **** ton of cognitive dissonance and that was really horrible. It's true that this hobby can pull out tendencies that are dangerously close to substance abuse.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 October 2015, 08:36:25 by E3E »

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #175 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 04:10:39 »
I do understand where you are coming from. Had the same issue(ish) as you when I had a job I hated that was only about making money. The light at the end of the tunnel was material things I could buy, it was the only thing that made my job survivable.

When I stopped working and focused more on learning, doing stuff for me and started looking/thinking about what I want to do for the rest of my life. This more or less gone away, now I try to live of my savings for as long as it takes. Avoiding any expense that isnt vital or 100% necessary

Now I have three keyboards, a few set of caps and a artisan collection that I need to shrink a bit. Not looking to buy anything really until I get a job, maybe then I finally get my GON or 22KBD :)
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline Belfong

« Reply #176 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 05:04:43 »
@mobbo and @E2E just described, with utmost accuracy, how I feel towards this hobby; and in words I’d never imagine to be able to come out myself. Wow! I need to read a few times and remind myself!

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #177 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 20:29:19 »

I don't think of it as a problem. If you're living within your means and enjoying the things you buy, then your problem is really doubting yourself. If your keyboards aren't making you happy and you think more money might do that, make the obvious choice.

edit: sorry for necro

Offline codywanks

« Reply #178 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 15:12:21 »
Hi guys. I'm new to GH and this seems like a suitable thread for me to make my first meaningful post.

Firstly, thanks intelli78 for being candid. I personally believe most people are smart enough to realize when they are overspending, however it is human nature to either:
a) convince ourselves that it's not so bad, everything will be alright at the end of the day (denial)
b) push it to the back of our minds (thought suppression)

It takes stones to face this issue head-on internally, let alone post about it in public, so props to you.

Mechs are a new hobby to me (~4 months at the date of this entry), and I guess I'm lucky to be coming from two other hobbies that are larger moneypits than this. All the same, I've somehow managed to acquire over 10 keyboards (nothing fancy, just plain ol' mass-market stuff) during this brief period and I can see how my finances will spiral out of control if I continue purchasing at this rate.

My strategy for tightening the purse strings is different from what I've read over the last few pages. Browsing through geekhack, the impression I get is that Korean Customs and Artisan Keycaps are the two biggest money sinks in the world of mechanical keyboards (correct me if I'm wrong). Everyone seems to end up in that direction. Well, thankfully neither of them appeal to me at all. I come from a country where people worship Korean culture: dumb Kpop songs pollute the airwaves, everybody seems to be addicted to Korean TV dramas or that Running Man rubbish, bulgogi restaurants are sprouting up exponentially... Even the plastic surgery clinics have taken on a Korean twist! This whole Korean craze has really gotten on my nerves to the point where I've made a vow to not buy anything Korean unless I really have no choice. Silly as this sounds, it has been working for me so far. I don't get tempted by KMAC or OTD or what-else-have-you. In fact, I'm perfectly happy with my mass-market boards, of which I have enough.

As for Artisan Keycaps... I have to admit there are some nice ones floating about, especially that Darth Vader one on Massdrop a few hours ago. But my OCD acts up when my keycaps aren't in the same profile, and Artisans definitely stick out like a sore thumb (a good thing for those who like them). So that's a no-go for me either.

In conclusion, I'd like to think it's the right time for me to be slowing down after my initial spree & foray into the world of mechs. But what do I know, I'm still a noob. Something unexpected might pop up for sale tomorrow, something I don't realize I like until the pics seduce me (best example so far would be Matt3o's whitefox on MD). And therein lies the danger of mechanical keyboard collecting.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #179 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 10:51:29 »
I have decided in 2016 to get my finances in order once and for all. I only have a few things I would like to spend money on in this hobby now, those being orange artisans, my customs in the mail, and maybe GMK Classic Beige if we can ever get it going again.

The rest will be saved for my current car, a prospective car towards the end of 2016, and maybe another Kustom if I can get one for a reasonable price. I can't give in to Classifieds and Group Buys like I have been doing this year. I've managed to steer clear of Massdrop largely, other than GMK RGBYK, but I don't plan to buy much else on there, even if I would like to get in on the GMK SNES buy.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #180 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 13:37:29 »
This year I sold all I had, but one custom keyboard based on a Nerd60 PCB and its OG Beige Cherry set, in turn I got another Nerd along with a low cost case and I am waiting for the Bluegaloo modifiers that will dress this second board along with some OG WoB alphas, that's it, two boards only, one for home, one for work is all I have now.

I may get another GMK set if something nice comes out in 2016; but, I have un-hacked my wallet and I even used some of the funds I got to start a small business with friends, awesome. I just have left some small boxes with some extra key caps, springs, some switches and spare stabilizers. No more boxes with unused keyboards.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #181 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 21:28:22 »
2016 will definitely be the year I scale back. Here's how I plan to accomplish that

1 Classified objective the whole year. Let's see if I can do that  :))

Offline Belfong

« Reply #182 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 22:17:25 »
I have started to only do retail price purchase for my caps last year. Once a while, I break that resolution, but it's probably twice in 2015 - so I didn't think that was too bad. 2016 will be retail only. 100% retail price only! I will strive to achieve 100%

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #183 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 22:23:40 »
My New Year's resolution will be to cut back. Like I've mentioned before, my itch to collect for the sake of collecting is what makes me spend so much on this hobby. There are several boards that I could easily get rid of but for some reason I want to keep them even though I know I won't actually use them for more than a few minutes at a time. I have two Apple M0116 for example... I don't spend more than my means, but I should really start saving some more now that I'll be living on my own in the next year or so. I'm even making a website for mechanical keyboards so that I can document stuff without having to keep it...

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #184 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 15:15:22 »
2016, I have no reason to get anything else, therefore, unless something really good comes, there is no need for any further expenditure on keyboards. Do I have my end game? I'd say I have the two boards that fit my needs perfectly and look reasonable well, already.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #185 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 10:44:24 »
I gave in and bought two sets of Cyrillic from Taobao. I'm a horrible person.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #186 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 23:02:31 »
Thread is obsolete - expired last year.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #187 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 12:17:29 »

It never expires for those with the problem.  Like me.  So far I've done computers (very expensive), bags, computer games, board games, rpg games, tech gadgets, kickstarters, and I'm sure more.  Now it's keyboards.  As we are keyboard enthusiasts, I think we should also continually support each other in this.  Sometimes just talking to someone with the same problems helps, I've found.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #188 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 12:59:35 »

It never expires for those with the problem.  Like me.  So far I've done computers (very expensive), bags, computer games, board games, rpg games, tech gadgets, kickstarters, and I'm sure more.  Now it's keyboards.  As we are keyboard enthusiasts, I think we should also continually support each other in this.  Sometimes just talking to someone with the same problems helps, I've found.

Exactly. I'm getting into DSLR photography two fists deep. It's gonna hurt on the wallet. Again. Sigh. I HAVE TO MANY hobbies.

At least I can try to earn some on the side by making photos for others. But still.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #189 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 05:39:42 »
Did I say that?

When did I say that?

I point people towards this thread all the time!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #190 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 09:36:44 »
Did I say that?

When did I say that?

Perhaps I misunderstood your meaning.  But thread is obsolete means... thread is obsolete?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #191 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 12:46:53 »
Did I say that?

When did I say that?

Perhaps I misunderstood your meaning.  But thread is obsolete means... thread is obsolete?

"Unhacking the wallet in 2015"

It is no longer 2015, therefore thread is 'expired'  ;)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #192 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 17:23:22 »
Did I say that?

When did I say that?

Title should be changed to make it "active" again.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #193 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 17:23:56 »
Or have we all been cured from our addiction?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #194 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 17:33:50 »
Did I say that?

When did I say that?

I saw the quote, but I don't recall typing that.

I also don't think I would have noticed the thread title and remarked obsolescence due to year differences.

Or perhaps I did, in a rare moment of insight and forgetfulness?

Offline JohnLuker

• Torque it down 'til it strips, then back it down
« Reply #195 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 11:00:04 »
Hi, I'm John and I'm a recovering gadget-a-holic. I'm much better since the self-imposed moratorium on browsing after drinking.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #196 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 11:03:37 »
Hi, I'm John and I'm a recovering gadget-a-holic. I'm much better since the self-imposed moratorium on browsing after drinking.

:))  Welcome John!  I wish you luck in avoiding the wallethack.

Offline JohnLuker

• Torque it down 'til it strips, then back it down
« Reply #197 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 12:30:36 »

:))  Welcome John!  I wish you luck in avoiding the wallethack.

I've been a life-long addict (in one form or another). This is just one of the latest iterations. Razors (straight/other), pens, pencils, flashlights, cameras, knifes, edc stuff, VW beetles, ex-wives...

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #198 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 14:05:19 »
I'm brand new to Mechanical Keyboards.. Still learning the differences between Cherry switches brand new. But this post really hits home for me with another hobby that is collecting Playing Cards, something I spend an unhealthy amount of money on, make excuses for, and don't police myself on. I am hoping to not bring that into mechanical keyboards as a new interest, so fingers crossed there. But this post definitely hits the feels and I am grateful it is here, it helps maintain perspective.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #199 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 14:55:32 »
need a chastity belt for wallet with all this clack rage
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.