Author Topic: Unhacking the wallet  (Read 344338 times)

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
Re: Unhacking the wallet
« Reply #250 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 23:46:49 »
I just use my paypal account as a buffer for all my "acquisition disorder" items. I make things, sell things, and buy things all separately from my bank account. It helps keep my fun money and my life expenses isolated. Also not growing attached to things helps. I have my 'must keep' items but generally everything has a price tag. Half the fun is gone once something is complete for me.
-Dana

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #251 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 07:53:21 »
I just use my paypal account as a buffer for all my "acquisition disorder" items. I make things, sell things, and buy things all separately from my bank account. It helps keep my fun money and my life expenses isolated. Also not growing attached to things helps. I have my 'must keep' items but generally everything has a price tag. Half the fun is gone once something is complete for me.

Yet, you basically have a cognitive dissonance disorder in regards to your finances, or worst, you are a finance bi-polar individual.  :p

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #252 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 20:45:12 »

Yet, you basically have a cognitive dissonance disorder in regards to your finances, or worst, you are a finance bi-polar individual.  :p

yeah. I'll own that.

I guess I do kind of rationalize it as a way to be financially irresponsible but with out the dangerous repercussions of impacting your lifestyle budget (bills, expenses, etc). Which I will agree, is definitely on the cognitive dissonance spectrum.
-Dana

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #253 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 14:34:51 »
I'm pretty new here, but I can relate to how easy it is to overspend.  Going from just being able to wait for off-the-shelf stuff to go on sale, to an environment of constant extreme scarcity ( like gasoline in Mad Max levels ) is a tough change of mindset, at least it was for me.  FOMO is real, especially if you ( like me starting out ) don't really have a clear understanding of what you like/want. 

I spent through my xmas bonus pretty quickly but have since moved to a different save/spend model:

1. make a plan for the next keyboard project/keycap set/other I want to work on
2. save money specifically earmarked for keebs, only after all other bills & savings are done
3. wait a month ( to make sure no new unexpected costs come in )
4. This is the hardest part!  Look for something to spend on that satisfies #1, and only #1
5. if nothing comes up for #4  ( big if, I know ), return to #2

Anyway, we'll see how long this plan lasts, but it seems wife-friendly so far  :)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #254 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 16:54:00 »
It's not that simple, when you're looking for something so rare that it might pop up once in a few years and perhaps never again.

I'm kicking myself for missing one unique build three years ago, when I wasn't sure about the size of my financial buffer. The thing is, I would have been fine, even benefit from it… it won't show up again and will take weeks of work to replicate.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #255 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 13:08:25 »
I've been looking for a Space Cadet for years, and one finally popped up on eBay. It's much easier these days to say "No, $2000 isn't worth it for a keyboard", but the chance sof another Space Cadet popping up on eBay in the next three years is minuscule at best. I have to admit though, it missing a key made it even easier to say no.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #256 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 13:29:20 »
I have to count myself lucky as I'm not so much collection-focused, so I don't look at rare and vintage items the same way as others.  Having particular builds or projects in mind makes this hobby much less spendy than it could be.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #257 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 09:39:50 »
I have to count myself lucky as I'm not so much collection-focused, so I don't look at rare and vintage items the same way as others.  Having particular builds or projects in mind makes this hobby much less spendy than it could be.
Funny you mention this, what I had in mind was an ergonomic keyboard that I'd actively use.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #258 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 10:18:34 »
Funny you mention this, what I had in mind was an ergonomic keyboard that I'd actively use.

Quit the Beast while ya'll are ahead..

Tp4 only browses Home improvement tools these days..

Functional above all else.

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #259 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 10:31:43 »

But doesn't it usually cost more to make something yourself than buy something a megacorporation has amortized? 🤔

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #260 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 10:48:32 »

But doesn't it usually cost more to make something yourself than buy something a megacorporation has amortized? 🤔

Said amortized items usually don't have quite the resilience of one-off products and custom things are able to be personalized to your exact needs.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Online Belfong

« Reply #261 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 05:20:09 »
omg, I just bought a GON! Help me!

And yet, I somehow feel ok. Everyone needs a Korean keeb, right? Right?

Offline bliss

« Reply #262 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 14:40:43 »
My policy: only go three-wide with group buys at any time - join not more than three concurrent GBs :D
EDIT: In this definition, a GB "ends" when the items have been delivered to my doorstep.

I think that is still very much but it introduces a ceiling. Exception to the rule is allowed if and only if my personal kryptonite occurs, i.e. reruns of GMK Skeletor or Nautilus (guess what - Nautilus 2 is currently in IC).

And I put every item I buy to use, no collecting. This should saturate the "need" to buy eventually.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 February 2020, 14:52:18 by bliss »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #263 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 14:53:10 »
My policy: only go three-wide with group buys at any time - join not more than three concurrent GBs :D
EDIT: In this definition, a GB "ends" when the items have been delivered to my doorstep.

I think that is still very much but it introduces a ceiling. Exception to the rule is allowed if and only if my personal kryptonite occurs, i.e. reruns of GMK Skeletor or Nautilus (guess what - Nautilus 2 is currently in IC).

And I put every item I buy to use, no collecting. This should saturate the "need" to buy eventually.

What would you do if all three GBs get caught in GB Hell?  :confused: 

It's certainly a good rule.  :thumb:  Anything to keep things in check is a positive.

Offline bliss

« Reply #264 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 06:00:10 »

What would you do if all three GBs get caught in GB Hell?  :confused: 

It's certainly a good rule.  :thumb:  Anything to keep things in check is a positive.

Forgive my late answer, things have been out of the ordinary...

So GB Hell is when you have joined a GB and it gets delayed for a long time? Well, the rule still applies :D If all three GB are in Hell, which is unlikely, then I might not be inclined to join yet another GB anyway :p Also, I think it is a good idea to only use two of the three "slots" if you will, to have one free for anything You-Can't-Afford-To-Miss(tm).

And thank you, the rule was very effective for me so far :thumb:

Offline IronCheeks

« Reply #265 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 11:10:16 »

That's a pretty decent outlook for me to consider, especially as a newcomer to this hobby. After going through few pages of the comments and discussion to the OP and a few others - I agree with a lot of what's being said. The introduction of a ceiling is something I wish I had when I was into sneaker-collecting and with fountain pens. I have set a limit on groupbuys I am part of, but still have spent quite a lot on artisans, despite even having my first custom keyboard in.

I think as mentioned before that it's the rabbit-hole of any hobby; once you get bit by the bug, you can's stop there. But that's why it's great to implement a budget and ample time to appreciate what you have now so that way the "need" of desire is satiated in a nice, fruitful way.

Offline MaddSplatter49

« Reply #266 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 13:20:58 »
This was an insanely insightful introduction to this hobby. Here we are 5 years later, and it's still relevant.

Offline Nonuke

« Reply #267 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 01:30:50 »
Well, I am starting on this world now. Kind of.
As the OP I started with a DAS Keyboard, later bought a second one. I kept one at home and another at work. I was really happy and had no idea of what  the mech keyboard scene was like.
A while ago, when the virus start hitting, I became aware of custom builds and 60% boards.
More than once I was about to buy stuff for assembling one myself, but refrain since I was having doubts if I could do it. I got some soldering cheap tools, just to understand a bit on how to use it, and to get some of the technique. I ended up buying a Drop Alt, and this is my daily driver since April 2020. I got some keycaps in Ali Express, still not with me due to a few logistic issues. And just today I purchased an used Infinity Ergodox, that should arrive in a few days.

I can feel the trend, the rabbit hole calling me. In December/January I will have at least 2 weeks off, and I want now to buy parts and build my own keyboard, from top to bottom. I still have many doubts on the parts to get, the switches to choose, if a 40%, 60% or Ergodox layout. I go to sleep asking myself if I should go full throttle on soldering or if I should get a hot swapable board. All of it without thinking for a moment how much it would cost. I am playing on the card “I deserve it”, and here is where it gets dangerous.

It is true that as adults we are the captains of our lives, and that our parent’s are not there to stop us to make questionable decisions. But if you are married or have kids, all can change. Today my main deterrent to giving up to the siren call  is the judgmental look of my wife, each time a new keyboard appears in the house. If boxes of parts start arriving at the front door, I bet I will have a hard time from her - on her view it is a bad choice of where to spend money. I am aware she will not be happy when the Ergodox arrives...

In a way I thank her. On the other hand, here I am, lurking in a forum on a Sunday morning reading about mech keyboards.

I hope it all ends well...

E la nave va...

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #268 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 18:39:45 »
Well, I am starting on this world now. Kind of.
As the OP I started with a DAS Keyboard, later bought a second one. I kept one at home and another at work. I was really happy and had no idea of what  the mech keyboard scene was like.
A while ago, when the virus start hitting, I became aware of custom builds and 60% boards.
More than once I was about to buy stuff for assembling one myself, but refrain since I was having doubts if I could do it. I got some soldering cheap tools, just to understand a bit on how to use it, and to get some of the technique. I ended up buying a Drop Alt, and this is my daily driver since April 2020. I got some keycaps in Ali Express, still not with me due to a few logistic issues. And just today I purchased an used Infinity Ergodox, that should arrive in a few days.

I can feel the trend, the rabbit hole calling me. In December/January I will have at least 2 weeks off, and I want now to buy parts and build my own keyboard, from top to bottom. I still have many doubts on the parts to get, the switches to choose, if a 40%, 60% or Ergodox layout. I go to sleep asking myself if I should go full throttle on soldering or if I should get a hot swapable board. All of it without thinking for a moment how much it would cost. I am playing on the card “I deserve it”, and here is where it gets dangerous.

It is true that as adults we are the captains of our lives, and that our parent’s are not there to stop us to make questionable decisions. But if you are married or have kids, all can change. Today my main deterrent to giving up to the siren call  is the judgmental look of my wife, each time a new keyboard appears in the house. If boxes of parts start arriving at the front door, I bet I will have a hard time from her - on her view it is a bad choice of where to spend money. I am aware she will not be happy when the Ergodox arrives...

In a way I thank her. On the other hand, here I am, lurking in a forum on a Sunday morning reading about mech keyboards.

I hope it all ends well...

The key-part of last phrase is: "ends".

Offline SmoothFaces

« Reply #269 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 19:25:36 »
so true. nice read

Offline Macavelli

« Reply #270 on: Thu, 14 January 2021, 21:54:20 »
That was an accelerant read! Well said, well said.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #271 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 04:55:32 »
I enjoyed this thread from start to end.  I just wanted to join the group and say,

"Hi, I'm Paul and I spend way too much on keyboards"

Paul aka Hot Trout
Keyboard Enthusiast Anonymous Member since 2012

Now that is out of the way.  I have been a collector (horder) all my life.  My interests include, HiFi, old computer, consoles and games, old handhelds, watches, motorcycles and since 2012 keyboards.  With all of these FOMO was a big factor once you were into the hobby.  FOMO is what will make you buy the wrong thing and spend too much.  Once you get a handle on FOMO you will have better control of your collecting hobby.  That said, I have way more computers and consoles than I can ever restore (unless I live to 120 years old) and I have way more watches than I can wear.  I also have way more keyboards than I can remember, let alone use.  Do I regret buying them, no, so long as they do not impact my real life or my family.  Always spend what you can afford to loose and you will not go too far wrong.  If it helps, I can justify a lot of it as investments.  Most if not all of my things, bikes, watches, computers and now keyboards are all worth more than what I paid for them, this makes them a good investment. 

To make sure this investment is not lost (in the event of my death or sudden loss of memory), I have put everything of any real value into a list that explains it all to my next of kin, so that they, without any knowledge, will still know what to sell and why it has value, as well as that expected value.  This way I get comfort from knowing that what I enjoy now as a hobby, my family will enjoy later as cash.  I like to think they will pick up one of my Amiga's and think of me or want to keep 'dads old Iron 165' as a keep sake, but that most likely will not care.  They might however care about the price of the Iron 165 when they go to sell it.

« Last Edit: Mon, 24 May 2021, 05:20:19 by hottrout »
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline jamster

« Reply #272 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 05:40:04 »
Are things like computers and bikes (either motorised or human-powered) really investments though?

They are two of my interests (for bikes, human powered) and normal purchases depreciate like crazy, unless you've got something like a mint condition Apple Lisa sitting in it's original sealed box.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #273 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 12:52:19 »
Are things like computers and bikes (either motorised or human-powered) really investments though?

They are two of my interests (for bikes, human powered) and normal purchases depreciate like crazy, unless you've got something like a mint condition Apple Lisa sitting in it's original sealed box.

For me it is motorcycles and I always buy old, collectible to restore and turn profit (if I sold them).  On the computer collection I have many rare item's, many boxed and many sought after.  I don't have a boxed Lisa ... yet.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black