Author Topic: Unhacking the wallet  (Read 344367 times)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
Re: Unhacking the wallet in 2015 - confessions of an addict (warning: long)
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 10:05:15 »

Now that my student loans have kicked in and are stealing away half of my income (WHAT?? :eek: ), I've had to be even more mindful of my spending, so I'm actually really happy that I started thinking about this a few months ago.  I started a mindset of spending less, and it has made the adjustment much easier.   :thumb:

Welcome to debt slavery, the modern American tradition.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 10:10:41 »
... a HHKB, a B.mini, a GON HHKB styled 60%, a Viper, and an Octagon. Done.

Whoa. That must be nearly $2k of keyboards :O
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 10:37:20 »

Now that my student loans have kicked in and are stealing away half of my income (WHAT?? :eek: ), I've had to be even more mindful of my spending, so I'm actually really happy that I started thinking about this a few months ago.  I started a mindset of spending less, and it has made the adjustment much easier.   :thumb:

:-\   I'm just thankful to be in a position where I can pay off the loans.   :-X   But yes, welcome indeed...   :rolleyes:

Offline Johan

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 11:02:04 »
I used to be really into Downhill-Skateboarding, A lot of people I got to know from there had the same issue. Its easy to "undervalue" money IMO. 350$ US for a pair of precision-trucks that you'll use every weekend might not seem like a lot until you need the money.
Uh, stuff.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 11:25:30 »
... a HHKB, a B.mini, a GON HHKB styled 60%, a Viper, and an Octagon. Done.

Whoa. That must be nearly $2k of keyboards :O

I try not to think about that number... But at least I don't need any more keyboards  :rolleyes:

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 11:28:50 »

:-\   I'm just thankful to be in a position where I can pay off the loans.   :-X   But yes, welcome indeed...   :rolleyes:

Gratitude is an important component of happiness.

One of my friend's strategies is to simply wait until the laws are changed so his debts can be forgiven.  Not sure how that is going to work.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 15:56:34 »
After trying the keyboards I have wanted to, I think the only switch I want to try now is MX Black, and after that I will be completely good on which switches I like, unless I ever get the chance to try matias or alp switches. I just sold my ErgoDox, and now I plan on selling my Poker 2 and acrylic case to further fund a board off of winkeyless that I will be completely happy with. It was awesome to try the ErgoDox, but it just wasn't for me.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 16:50:44 »
I never really spent a lot on keyboards until last year. Then I went nuts.
When I came into the hobby a few years ago there weren't that many expensive group buys going on. A novelty SP keycap here and there but that was it.
CC was still exclusively doing raffles and living on the other end of the world meant I didn't stand a chance or was asleep.

But when I got my hands on a custom last year I went a bit crazy. Several keysets, some donor boards, various fun little bits and pieces and before I knew it I was wondering where my money was going.
When a thread here spurred me to add up all of my keyboard expenses I laughed... and then I felt a bit ashamed as well.

And since I won't be able to gain that much more money this year either I already had to say no to several really cool sets that came by this year.
This very thread motivated me to put some items up for sale that I really like but that I am simply not using either.

There is a good chance that I will go cold turkey at some point and focus on some other areas of my life that need more attention and money.
My studies (I want to do a Master's degree abroad but I need to hurry) and some of the more essential items in my life such as my bicycle and PC that are in need of replacement soon. Especially the bike.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 16:57:40 »
Nice writeup. I started out this hobby with a curiosity, but also wanted to prioritize and build two ultimate boards. What ended up happening was that the "research" required to determine what sort of components to use for my two ultimate boards ended up equaling to like 10 keyboards, which was exactly what I wanted to avoid in the first place.

Just thought I'd share my story. I wish you good luck and hope you can cut down to just the boards you love most.

Cheers

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 17:13:00 »
I've had this up to read since it was posted finally got around to it, didn't read the entire thread but the majority of it.

Great topic, I wish I could put my thoughts into words so well. I too can relate to this having went all in a few times now and still questioning what I really want/like/desire in a keyboard. I'm still not sure.

I have tried to spend wisely lately and not buy everything just because, one day I'll go through everything I have and figure out what to keep and what to get rid of.

tl;dr 10/10 would read again.

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 17:37:34 »
I was about to post something similar, but saw this thread, so I'll post in here instead.

I think it's very important to be introspective about the actual cause of any behavior that is negative, so you understand the root of the problem, instead of only trying to (and often failing to) control the symptoms.

Ultimately, a keyboard is just a tool you use to interface with your computer, and if you are happy with its layout, ergonomics, and performance, then mission accomplished. All the other stuff that people in this community spend so much time obsessing over--that's just niche hobby stuff that's completely superfluous from the actual intended use of a keyboard, and have very little meaningful effect on what you actually do with the keyboard/computer. Would you want to be the guy with thousands of dollars worth of expensive keyboards but never does anything meaningful with them, or the guy with a cheap standard rubber dome keyboard but codes awesome software, or makes kickass music and videos, or writes amazing novels and screenplay on that keyboard?

Think about what's causing your anxiety with "missing out" on group buys, or must have the latest and greatest, or the need to hoard a collection. Does it have anything to do with negative personality traits that you'd like to eradicate? Is it insecurity? Emptiness? low self-esteem? Lack of meaning in your life? Self-loathing? The need to instant gratification? Avoiding more important things in your life because they are much harder to accomplish/deal with? When you can home in on the real cause of your behavior, it'll be a lot easier to control your behavior and change your mentality.

For me personally, I knew from the start when I fell into this rabbit hole that I'll be climbing out of it in probably a month or so (I even said so when I first joined), and it's taking a bit longer than I predicted, but I'm climbing my way out of it one step at a time. I've now got a concrete plan, and although I'll end up with more keyboards than I anticipated, I'm okay with that because I know exactly why I want each of them, feel that they are worth having, and I won't dwell on them, or turn this into a long-term hobby. I came into GH with the intention of doing my homework and accomplish my mission of finding the ideal keyboard for me, and once the mission is completed, that's it. That doesn't mean I will just stop paying attention completely, since I'm just a fan of tech gadgets in general, and "enjoy" finding out about new products and new trends. For example, I do photography and music, and I have lots of audio gear and photography gear, but I buy only what I actually need to create the kind of work I want to create, and I don't continue to buy stuff just to satisfy some kind of hobbyists collector's urge--I don't have that hoarding element in my personality trait (well, maybe a little, but not enough to be a real problem. I usually sell what I no longer need, and can be quite pragmatic). Even though I don't continue to buy stuff, I'm still subscribed to newsletters from photography/camera and audio sites like dpreview.com, innerfidelity.com, head-fi.com, etc. I simply like to learn about new stuff coming out, and if I see anything that can do a much better job than I what I currently have and it's worth the upgrade, I'll go for it.

I think a great way to assess whether a hobby is really worth it, is to look at what it costs versus the amount of joy you get out of it, and then compare it to another hobby/passion you have. For example, let's say you love video games, or is a big movie buff, or you love music. Look at the amount of money you spend on those hobbies versus the amount of joy you get from them, how much time they occupy in your life, how much energy you spend on them, etc. Now do the same for your keyboard hobby. Does it look like the time and money you spend on keyboards will actually get you more joy if you were to spend them on the other hobbies/passions you have? If you truly get a lot of joy out of keyboards, and you have no other important hobbies or serious aspirations and responsibilities, then good for you--enjoy yourself.

Speaking of serious responsibility and aspirations you might have in your life--are you spending the time/energy/money you should spend on them on keyboards instead? Do you have a family to take care of? Are you saving up for something meaningful/important? Do you have a retirement plan in place? Are you actively investing your money wisely (and I don't mean a savings account--I mean actual investing (IRA, stocks, index funds, mutual funds, real estate, bitcoins, gold, oil, gas, whatever), where the you to at least get significantly greater returns than the rate of inflation, and ideally double or triple it). And if you have serious aspirations in your life, then would the time/energy/money spent on keyboards be better spent on your aspirations (become a successful software developer, make indie games, write/direct a feature film, a music career as a musical artist, solve mankind's most pressing problems like the environment, human rights, cancer, etc). If you have serious aspirations, shouldn't you focus on those instead of keyboards? (My current serious aspiration is to become a novelist with a steady career, and that was one of the main reasons I started researching keyboards--I needed a better typing experience since I spend so much time typing.)

Anyway, before this post turns into a novel itself, I'll just list my current plan to end my keyboard adventure.

My plan initially was to end up with one ideal keyboard, but that was before I knew anything about the world of higher-end keyboards. The plan was then adjusted to having one keyboard that represents each of the major switch types. But that was again adjusted when I found out there are keyboards within the same switch type that I really enjoyed and wanted to keep, so now it looks like this:

Topre keyboards - I have a RealForce 87U 55g, an ergonomic weighted that's silenced, and a Leopold FC660C. I won't be getting any more. They each serve a different need (daily driver, typing when feeling fatigued, and in-bed typing on the Galaxy Note 3/traveling).

ALPS - The Matias Mini Quiet Pro is what I've chosen to represent this switch type. I don't need any others. I did order a Matias 60% with quiet switch because I think it will likely replace the Mini Quiet Pro, due to having all navigation cluster keys available. If I end up preferring it, I'll sell the Mini Quiet Pro.

Cherry MX - I have a blue Cherry (WASD V2 TKL with Retro keycap set), and I'm waiting for a RGB red cherry that is evenly lit with no light leakage (probably will be a Kailh RGB) that is sure to come eventually. The blue is for typing only, while the red is for gaming only. (I returned a Razer BlackWidow RGB and Corsair K65 RGB, due to the light leakage.)

Buckling spring - I'm waiting for Unicomp's new SSK that's coming later this year. (I had an Endurapro but returned it--the TrackPoint was disappointing, and full-size is too big.)

Programmable keyboard/Trackpoint - I want at least one fully programmable keyboard (ideally with Trackpoint), and I'm waiting for the next iteration of the TEX Yoda, which is coming around Q2 or Q3 (TEX Electronics told me this in private, so it's straight from the horse's mouth), and will have full programmability. Its implementation of the TrackPoint is really nice too, with the ability to use the middle mouse key as FN key, which is even more ideal than the MiniGuru's approach of using two FN keys on either side of the spacebar. I might still get the MiniGuru though, even if just to support lowpoly's epic endeavor.

All of that will come in under $2,000, which is nothing compared to what I've spent on pro audio/audiophile gear and photography gear. I think concluding my keyboard adventure on that note is a pretty nice ending. The whole adventure lasted less than two months, and I'll be returning my attention to my novel-writing--now armed with far better keyboards than the crap I was using. Mission accomplished.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 January 2015, 20:37:46 by Lunatique »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 18:02:54 »
Would you want to be the guy with thousands of dollars worth of expensive keyboards but never does anything meaningful with them, or the guy with a cheap standard rubber dome keyboard but codes awesome software, or makes kickass music and videos, or writes amazing novels and screenplay on that keyboard?

You're drawing conclusions here that force your argument.  You're viewing the keyboard only as a tool, a mean to an end, rather than as a possible "end".  And you might say "well surely a keyboard is a tool, you use it to accomplish tasks." and you're right.  But then why is writing amazing novels and screenplays a valued activity?  Why can't the keyboard be as artistic and valued as a screenplay?  Why can't I spend a bunch of money here to eventually end up with a keyboard that I view to be more valuable than any screenplay you could ever write?  And who are you to tell me that it is or is not as valuable as I've just said it is?

I understand where your argument is coming from, and I don't strictly disagree; I just think that the root of your argument only applies if you share the same opinions and values as you do.

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 19:12:43 »
Would you want to be the guy with thousands of dollars worth of expensive keyboards but never does anything meaningful with them, or the guy with a cheap standard rubber dome keyboard but codes awesome software, or makes kickass music and videos, or writes amazing novels and screenplay on that keyboard?

You're drawing conclusions here that force your argument.  You're viewing the keyboard only as a tool, a mean to an end, rather than as a possible "end".  And you might say "well surely a keyboard is a tool, you use it to accomplish tasks." and you're right.  But then why is writing amazing novels and screenplays a valued activity?  Why can't the keyboard be as artistic and valued as a screenplay?  Why can't I spend a bunch of money here to eventually end up with a keyboard that I view to be more valuable than any screenplay you could ever write?  And who are you to tell me that it is or is not as valuable as I've just said it is?

I understand where your argument is coming from, and I don't strictly disagree; I just think that the root of your argument only applies if you share the same opinions and values as you do.

Yes, but I didn't dictate what is or isn't meaningful--I said you have to assess what your own aspirations and life goals are--it could be anything, from being an Olympian athlete, a special forces operator, a professional gamer, a chef, a great father, a wonderful son, a noble humanitarian, a scientist, a custom keyboard designer/builder, to anything else. Keyboard hobby (or any other hobby) only becomes a problem if it's stealing too much time/energy/money away from your more important aspirations and responsibilities in life, and if your aspiration/goal IS to become a great keyboard modder/designer/manufacturer/retailer, then your keyboard hobby is no longer a hobby but a serious pursuit in your life. And of course, the pursuit of having an amazing keyboard in and of itself can be an aspiration/goal, and I'm not making any value judgments on whether that is a worthy goal--only you can make that judgment.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 19:20:39 »

Yes, but I didn't dictate what is or isn't meaningful--I said you have to assess what your own aspirations and life goals are--it could be anything, from being an Olympian athlete, a special forces operator, a professional gamer, a chef, a great father, a wonderful son, a noble humanitarian, a scientist, a custom keyboard designer/builder, to anything else. Keyboard hobby (or any other hobby) only becomes a problem if it's stealing too much time/energy/money away from your more important aspirations and responsibilities in life, and if your aspiration/goal IS to become a great keyboard modder/designer/manufacturer/retailer, then your keyboard hobby is no longer a hobby but a serious pursuit in your life. And of course, the pursuit of having an amazing keyboard in and of itself can be an aspiration/goal, and I'm not making any value judgments on whether that is a worthy goal--only you can make that judgment.

:thumb:  I understand now.  That makes a lot of sense.  I must have misinterpreted your intentions in the previous comment.  I agree with what you've said here though.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 20:02:22 »
Think about what's causing your anxiety with "missing out" on group buys, or must have the latest and greatest, or the need to hoard a collection. Does it have anything to do with negative personality traits that you'd like to eradicate? Is it insecurity? Emptiness? low self-esteem? Lack of meaning in your life? Self-loathing? The need to instant gratification? Avoiding more important things in your life because they are much harder to accomplish/deal with? When you can home in on the real cause of your behavior, it'll be a lot easier to control your behavior and change your mentality.
Great write up, Lunatique. Lots of points to ponder upon but I really like what you said about negative personality traits. This probably hit home for me and it is something that I have been thinking a lot on. And it is not just keyboard related. Before I discovered keyboard, I spent money on video games. Those Steam sales are pretty damning to the wallet and I can't help but buy them, even though I know I might not have the time to play the games. It's always a 'one day I will get to them' excuse. I stopped buying video games and the recent winter sales only saw me buying one game. Which is a great achievement for me. But of course, I bought a lot more keyboard stuff in Dec... so I didn't really improve, just shifted the focus from video games to keyboards.

You are probably correct in the lack of a goal in life. It's something I truly need to work hard on. Thanks for putting these in words. Great read and lots of think about!  :thumb:

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 00:58:54 »
Note: This is a pretty personal message but I suspect it'll resonate with some folks, hope you find it worthwhile. I know it was helpful for me to put this into writing.

When you get into the mechanical keyboard hobby, you learn a few things right away:

• Acquiring stuff is part & parcel of the hobby -- it's an inherently materialistic pursuit
  • There's always something new to try, and the 'perfect switch' to chase
  • You're always subject to the fear of missing out (FOMO) because of Group Buy and artisan dynamics - the really interesting stuff isn't available at regular retail, so there's constant pressure to buy now or get left behind
  • Building a collection this way is addicting - it's called WalletHack for a reason

This is an excellent post.  Because this website is populated by people who are passionate about keyboards, emotions are part of the keyboard experience for us.  GeekHack’s byline (“keyboard enthusiasts”) implies emotion but rarely do we reflect on how emotions affect our involvement with this hobby and its monetary costs.  This post does an excellent job of covering the emotional influences that can lead to keyboard enthusiasts getting in over their heads.  The Welcome new members! post contains a sentence warning us about the costs of the hobby but it doesn’t explain the reasons why this hobby is so expensive (not that there’s any obligation to).  Most people will infer the reasons for the high costs of the hobby but having those reasons explicitly stated from the beginning can help people have a better relationship with the hobby. 

Even in a normally rational person, FOMO can override the rational part of the decision making process.   At this time, joining group buys is financially beyond justification for me.  While I don’t even need that stuff, I still feel regret for missing out on some of the products available and I usually avoid even looking at those threads.  If my situation was different, I am almost certain I would have more keyboards and keycap sets than I *need.  (*minimum quantity defined as necessary is 10)

Another emotional influence that we overlook is the desire to identify with a group.  Recommendations by GeekHackers can be accompanied by appeals to emotion (e.g. join the HHKB elite) that, even when offered in jest, may influence the purchase decision.  Appeals to emotion aren't necessarily bad.  The problem arises when we are not aware that our emotions may be unduly influencing our decisions.   After seeing several posts implying that buying a keyboard will put them in a special social class, some people might find themselves more strongly considering buying that keyboard without being aware that the decision to buy the keyboard may have more to do with a positive emotional message or identifying with a particular social group than usability or functionality.  I imagine that very few users here are affected by this but, for those who are, the effect may be subtle. 

By itself, the cost of a mechanical keyboard is not generally onerous.  But as intelli78 points out, the materialistic process of building a keyboard collection compounds the cost of this hobby.   More self examination may help us avoid the emotional attack vector of the WalletHack.  But even if we can eliminate the emotional factors that have a negative effect on our purchasing decisions, there are other factors that compound the cost of building a keyboard collection and can complicate the process of finding the keyboard (or keyboards) that is “perfect” for you.  These factors are limited availability and limited information.

Limited availability drives the price of mechanical keyboards and their accessories up.  Mechanical keyboards occupy a niche market.  Smaller production runs and more expensive switch technology results in higher prices for mechanical keyboards.  A lot of items (cases, PCBs, keycaps) that appear on GeekHack’s group buys and artisan threads are produced in very limited quantities, driving the price up even higher.  And, of course, the cost of desirable vintage keyboards is driven up both by the dwindling quantity of functioning units and the decreased number of units available on the market. 

Limited information often inhibits our ability to make the best decision regarding which keyboard to purchase.  Using a keyboard is like getting burned, reading about it is no substitute for experiencing it firsthand.  But, the option to gain firsthand knowledge of using a particular keyboard before buying it is limited or non-existent.  Most of us have no way of knowing whether we will like a switch technology or a keyboard until we buy a keyboard and use it.  We have no way of comparing that switch or keyboard to others until we buy another keyboard. The best option many of us have for measuring the suitableness of keyboards to ourselves is reading the opinions and personal experiences of other people.   These reviews cannot possibly account for all the differences between the reviewer and every individual who incorporates his review into the purchasing decision.   Our environment, our functional needs, or our personal biomechanical idiosyncrasies may render a well-regarded keyboard unsuitable for some of us.  But, again, these are things we cannot evaluate when reading a review.

Eventually, we buy a keyboard.  If we’re lucky, it works out for us.  If we are dissatisfied (keycap profile is awkward or switches are too stiff or layout causes wrist pain, etc.), we are still stuck with our purchase.  We may be able to sell it to someone else but, judging by my limited research on GeekHack, we will almost always take a loss on our sale.  Whether we keep or sell a product that we are dissatisfied with, we are still left wanting a keyboard that we enjoy and we must repeat the search for our ideal keyboard(s), taking the same gamble that spending from $30 to $300 will get us something we don’t like.

You do the community a service, intelli78, by encouraging people to reflect on how they spend their money on this hobby.  Understanding how our emotions influence our decision making process, and being more cognizant of the challenges inherent in our hobby may allow us to make better decisions in the future

Offline Tyrosh22

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 16:56:52 »
Great thread, thank you all for sharing. I'm a noob and I am somehow afraid to dig deeper into this world as I might see myself spending unrational amounts of money on keyboards and related stuff.
Meow.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 17:12:27 »
How many keyboards (and what kind) did you have?

I haven't bought anything since 2013 (other than $6 tutzi caps) keyboard related, At one point I owned just about every OTD and LZ board but was trading them off to try new ones at shipping loss to myself (probably well into $200 went to USPS in the course of a year)

I experienced Topre (twice.) and often would lose money reselling everything.

I finally grew tired of it as school ended and seemed to have gone back to being "normal" although now my craft beer expenses have exponentially increased far past my keyboard hobby ever costed me.

The keyboards I have left are all mementos that I got near groupbuy price, although recently the influx of people trying to throw $2,000 at me has made it very hard for me.

The only thing I never understood was Clacks, how can something that cost less than $5 to produce (accounting for time too post mold) go for $600++, I know it has sentimental value, but honestly I feel it's more of an addiction after a certain point (like $150)

People get addicted to collecting, but they need to stay reasonable.

To some clack raffles are just a chance at making a few hundred $.
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 20:33:49 »
Great thread, thank you all for sharing. I'm a noob and I am somehow afraid to dig deeper into this world as I might see myself spending unrational amounts of money on keyboards and related stuff.

honestly, ignore novelty caps and keysets, and you'll be fine.

nobody here actually needs all the keyboards they have. we could all live with our main board. and i'm willing to bet a lot of people would get rid of a good chunk of their stuff if it wasn't for their hoarding issues. deep down they know, hhkb is the only board they need. and if they don't, well, they deserve to go broke for not following the topre way.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 20:59:39 »
This is just a dumb thread.

If you can't control your spending, get married.
If you can't afford anything, make more money.
If you can't find the perfect keyboard, get a HHKB Type-S
If you have mental issues like 95% of this board, smack yourself or drink coffee.

No need to make threads about this.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 21:00:35 »
This is just a dumb thread.

If you can't control your spending, get married.
If you can't afford anything, make more money.
If you can't find the perfect keyboard, get a HHKB Type-S
If you have mental issues like 95% of this board, smack yourself or drink coffee.

No need to make threads about this.

LuLz
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 21:22:27 »
i'm willing to bet a lot of people would get rid of a good chunk of their stuff if it wasn't for their hoarding issues. deep down they know, hhkb is the only board they need.

* jdcarpe sobs.

It's like you know me.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 21:39:18 »

This hobby is a very dark, and lonely hole of ***, nobody around you will understand why you have paid hundreds for a piece of utilitarian old technology that can easily be replaced with a cheap modern keyboard, of course, you will come here immediately looking for your peers reinforcement. However,  you will always have secret regrets on your purchases unless you have reach the point where you were indoctrinated into the clacks extremes, then, you will think that paying hundreds for a piece of plastic is totally right, a piece of plastic that most of your close people will think is fugly; when you reach that point, then a new board or key set that cost hundreds will look cheaper in comparison, after all, a nice metal case worth more than a clack, ... hold on, what am I saying?. Any way, welcome to the GH reality distortion field, where members will encourage you to spend, and that will hit you with rocks when you ask why something is so expensive... some day you will start writing your very own thread titled "I am deeply depressed because...".
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 January 2015, 21:42:00 by ideus »

Offline intelli78

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 21:40:38 »

This hobby is a very dark, and lonely hole of ***, nobody around you will understand why you have paid hundreds for a piece of utilitarian old technology that can easily be replaced with a cheap modern keyboard, of course, you will come here immediately looking for your peers reinforcement. However,  you will always have secret regrets on your purchases unless you have reach the point where you were indoctrinated into the clacks extremes, then, you will think that paying hundreds for a piece of plastic is totally right, a piece of plastic that most of your close people will think is fugly; when you reach that point, then a new board or key set that cost hundreds will look cheaper in comparison, after all, a nice metal case values more than a clack, what am I saying?. Any way, welcome to the GH reality distortion field, where members will encourage you to spend, and that will hit you with rocks when you ask why something is so expensive... some day you will start writing your very own thread titled "I am deeply depressed because...".

And then you start your second year of membership.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 21:46:07 »
... I am depressed.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 22:37:41 »

i'm willing to bet a lot of people would get rid of a good chunk of their stuff if it wasn't for their hoarding issues. deep down they know, hhkb is the only board they need.

* jdcarpe sobs.

It's like you know me.
demik has attained keyboard enlightenment!

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 22:41:00 »
... I am depressed.

(Attachment Link)

OH MY GOD!  I've been so blind!  GeekHack isn't really a site devoted to keyboards.  It's research honeypot/marketing machine for Taylor Swift. 

That must mean... you are all alt accounts for Taylor Swift?! 

Oh my god, I have to wipe my profile before the TS mafia hunts me down and silences me.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 22:46:57 »
... I am depressed.

(Attachment Link)

OH MY GOD!  I've been so blind!  GeekHack isn't really a site devoted to keyboards.  It's research honeypot/marketing machine for Taylor Swift. 

That must mean... you are all alt accounts for Taylor Swift?! 

Oh my god, I have to wipe my profile before the TS mafia hunts me down and silences me.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 22:53:42 »
every thread

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 23:03:53 »
Come on pal! She is hot, sexy and cute, and now she is even depressed being at GH for all this time, you know, her wallet now has been hacked, and she has not bought all those nice GMK sets yet.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 23:04:57 »
looks like somebody woke up with **** in their cereal

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 23:15:35 »
every thread

This is why we can't have nice things.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 23:18:27 »
I am sure she is fapping over her new Mopar Diagnostic Machine and SSK as we speak,

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 23:22:42 »
I am sure she is fapping over her new Mopar Diagnostic Machine and SSK as we speak,

come for the keyboards

stay for the community

Mopar Diagnostic Machine with SSK = GeekHack Sybian?

Offline intelli78

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 23:39:02 »
Mopar Diagnostic Machine with SSK = GeekHack Sybian?

Offline Belfong

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 02:16:23 »
This is a well thought out and written thread. Please don't derailed it with GIF :p

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 11:40:42 »
ᐃᐃᐃ QFT
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 16:32:56 »
I'm not sure what T Swift anything to do with any of this.  But I would love to show her my keyboards sometime.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 16:42:32 »
This is a well thought out and written thread. Please don't derailed it with GIF :p

Dear Mr. Belfong: Just in case you have not noticed it, the thread has been derailed already, and not only by the GIFs; in any case these have embellished the otherwise dark and lonely stack of sadness the thread was before.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 18:47:33 »

Dear Mr. Belfong: Just in case you have not noticed it, the thread has been derailed already, and not only by the GIFs; in any case these have embellished the otherwise dark and lonely stack of sadness the thread was before.

Yes but the GIF made me LOL which I should not, given the tone of this thread but, ha ha ha ha ha... I can't help it!!

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #90 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 19:30:19 »
I've noticed I have felt no remorse selling any of my boards or caps, which is rather refreshing, that way I don't get attached so any of it and I feel okay with selling at a reasonable price.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #91 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 19:50:31 »
I've noticed I have felt no remorse selling any of my boards or caps, which is rather refreshing, that way I don't get attached so any of it and I feel okay with selling at a reasonable price.

Welcome the GHA -geekhackers anonymous support group- where geekhackers are in recovery to be again productive and happy citizens.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 06:44:07 »

Welcome the GHA -geekhackers anonymous support group- where geekhackers are in recovery to be again productive and happy citizens.

That's so true, it hurts.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 09:15:45 »
So, I've changed my mind.

**** it, embrace the wallethack. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 09:21:00 »
So, I've changed my mind.

**** it, embrace the wallethack. :D

"We throw our money
Into the vaporous void
Sometimes we get stuff"

JD, the true voice of reason

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 09:24:24 »
Bought and sold a lot on GH.  Sold a bunch at a huge markdown.  I wanted it all to be right for me, but in the end one or... three true love(s) is all you or I or anyone needs.  That is unless it looks good in a baller display case.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 14:52:39 »
nvm
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 01:18:36 »

honestly, ignore novelty caps and keysets, and you'll be fine.

nobody here actually needs all the keyboards they have. we could all live with our main board. and i'm willing to bet a lot of people would get rid of a good chunk of their stuff if it wasn't for their hoarding issues. deep down they know, hhkb is the only board they need. and if they don't, well, they deserve to go broke for not following the topre way.

the obvious HHKB jokery aside, I have the opposite problem. if I have something laying around that I don't use or plan to use, I get really antsy about it.
my chase has always been for "the ultimate" of whatever my hobby is, for my needs and wants of course. then my real challenge tends to be selling the stuff I don't use enough.

I have always done this with my hobbies for whatever raisin. peace of mind I suppose? I get very firm with what I like and then stick to it. I end up losing a little in the long run if I discover something else I like more, but not as much as if I just have things laying around - especially if they drop in value.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 10:58:30 »
not even once
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #99 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 23:46:03 »
Back to a negative bank balance LOL.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin