Author Topic: 'Why should I join Geekhack?'  (Read 1149166 times)

Offline Darkside

Re: 'Why should I join Geekhack?'
« Reply #200 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 01:54:39 »
I originally joined Geekhack because I thought I thought there was a members-only shop in here for buying Bro Bots and Click Clacks lol.  I  am dum. :'( I still stick around to lurk and see cool custom keyboards though.

(I just realized I'll be 1 year old next month!  :thumb:)

EDIT: Oh yeah, I wanted to ask.. Why doesn't my post-count go up? I seem to be stuck at 17 posts. PLZ TO HELP I AM NOT GOOD WITH COMPUTERS!
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 June 2015, 01:59:54 by Darkside »

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #201 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 02:02:30 »
Off topic doesn't count in your total posts.
Classifieds too iirc.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Darkside

« Reply #202 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 02:03:39 »
Off topic doesn't count in your total posts.
Classifieds too iirc.
Oh well that explains it. Thanks!

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #203 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 03:19:02 »
Guys

Caitlyn Jenner...

Would you...? :cool:

Haha
OMG I just saw this I really thought it had to be fake (I was wrong)  :eek:

??  what did you see ??
Punks quote about Caitlyn Jenner ....I was saying that I had just seen the pictures and had trouble believing it was real   :eek:
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline oledome

• not batman
« Reply #204 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 18:21:42 »
My initial introductory post was met with some welcomes, the information I've received regarding keyboards has been good and the  place just seemed quite relaxed. Something I felt was missing was a wiki and feel the community here could build one in no time if the keys would be handed over. Also group buys here are the group buys.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #205 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 04:31:09 »
Because, let's face it: If you're going to spend hours every day sitting and typing on a keyboard, you may as well use that time discussing keyboards—using the very keyboards you're using to discuss the the keyboards. Because if you didn't have keyboards, you wouldn't discuss them (using the keyboards). Fortunately, though, you do have keyboards, so you can use these keyboards to discuss, and this should be obvious by now: keyboards. This causes an endless cosmic loop that creates a wormhole that transports you to a place with free beer.

109780-0
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 August 2015, 06:19:51 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #206 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 09:29:46 »
I joined geekhack for the sole purpose of trolling. My first few posts just consisted of me harassing Edgar Matias as a RedditArmie character (I was really into the RedditArmie thing). I still feel bad about it.

The funny thing is, I kept posting and asking people questions about keyboards, and everyone was very helpful. Even the people who were most critical of my troll act (e.g. jacobolus) spent a lot of time later answering my questions. That drew me in.

I think this is one of the few true online communities out there. I mean people really go out of their way to contribute. Hell, there's an entire thread just for giving stuff away, and it has over 4,000 posts. You don't see that on Reddit :)

EDIT: Oh, and ****ing case in point.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 September 2015, 09:35:25 by bcredbottle »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #207 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 10:10:54 »
I joined geekhack for the sole purpose of trolling.

:|

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #208 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 10:12:01 »

Don't worry, he was ****ing terrible at it.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #209 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 10:12:57 »

Well yeah, but it's still annoying having to deal with it.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #210 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 10:17:55 »

Well yeah, but it's still annoying having to deal with it.

/grab Hoff
/touch Hoff
/hug Hoff
/pat Hoff
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #211 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 10:19:56 »
In my defense, I stopped trolling about six months ago and, as penance, I have donated several times in the free stuff pay it forward thread.

beehatch is just mad because she has a ridiculous name IRL.

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #212 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 10:28:48 »
In my defense, I stopped trolling about six months ago and, as penance, I have donated several times in the free stuff pay it forward thread.

:(

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #213 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 10:33:56 »

Who doesn't?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #214 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 10:36:47 »

I didn't realize you stopped. :P ;)

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #215 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 10:57:41 »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #216 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 11:03:20 »

Show Image

Srsly though, I just looked at it and it was terrible (not even close to funny). Well what can you expect from "le redditarmie".
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #217 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 05:11:11 »
Yeah, but even a troll could be using one of these:

110848-0

We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #218 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 05:19:52 »
Yeah, but even a troll could be using one of these:

(Attachment Link)

A rich troll :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #219 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 21:06:20 »
Or one without kids.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #220 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 21:41:45 »
Or one without kids.

Living with parents.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #221 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 22:12:55 »

Wait wait wait. You mean you actually set out to troll? Like not, "I'm going to voice my disagreement," but instead, "I'm going to make stuff up just to annoy these people" ??? I've got to know, why?

I remember when your sig was a quote from someone explaining why they were adding you to their ignore list, and I was kind of annoyed at you for wearing it like a badge of honor. But I've seen you come around and offer a lot of stuff in the free stuff thread, which was cool. So at any rate, glad to see that you came to your senses.

BTW, who was it that ignored you? Have you made amends?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #222 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 03:33:01 »
[or] Living with parents.

Yeah, guess that's more likely with this bunch.  :?)

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #223 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 10:48:37 »

Wait wait wait. You mean you actually set out to troll? Like not, "I'm going to voice my disagreement," but instead, "I'm going to make stuff up just to annoy these people" ??? I've got to know, why?

I remember when your sig was a quote from someone explaining why they were adding you to their ignore list, and I was kind of annoyed at you for wearing it like a badge of honor. But I've seen you come around and offer a lot of stuff in the free stuff thread, which was cool. So at any rate, glad to see that you came to your senses.

I thought it was really funny to make people mad about something silly. But the more I explored the site the more I realized that this was a pretty altruistic community and that annoying strangers for fun is about as childish as it gets.

Jacobolus and litster blocked me. Jacobolus later unblocked me and was actually very helpful at helping me get into the hobby; he answered a lot of my questions. IDK if litster still has me blocked but he hasn't responded in 6 months. I've never formally apologized to them, though I'm thinking I should.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #224 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 11:49:39 »

I thought it was really funny to make people mad about something silly. But the more I explored the site the more I realized that this was a pretty altruistic community and that annoying strangers for fun is about as childish as it gets.

Jacobolus and litster blocked me. Jacobolus later unblocked me and was actually very helpful at helping me get into the hobby; he answered a lot of my questions. IDK if litster still has me blocked but he hasn't responded in 6 months. I've never formally apologized to them, though I'm thinking I should.
Apology can't hurt. Anyway, thanks for the glimpse into the mind of a troll. I guess it was pretty much what I expected.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #225 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 09:58:28 »
Jacobolus and litster blocked me.
wasn't it when jacob called you out and said you joined esteemed company in being only the third person he ever blocked?

Offline linkshine

• * Destiny Supporter
  • If you wanna b my lover, u gotta get w/ my friends
« Reply #226 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 23:04:05 »
From an old redditor to someone fairly newer to GH (lurked for months, been a member for 2 now) the sense of community here is unparalleled. People here are friendly, I've never once questioned the legitimacy of anyones classifieds. People aren't here to make a profit, most everyone is of like mind- it's like a neighborhood from the 50's except we're from all over the world and live on a keyboard.

There are great people on /r/mk and I love that place, but there just are not threads that stay alive or history like this place has. I've learned SO much from peoples tutorials or PMs, I've made skype friends in Scandanavia, I've had people offer to send me stuff I was looking for just out of generosity. It really is an amazing place (plus it has style- you don't realize until you come from a place like reddit how much FLAVOR having avatars adds to people's personalities, am I right??

Offline Keypurrfect

« Reply #227 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 15:43:11 »
'Why should I join Geekhack?'

To get 5o posts so I can get a BroCaps!

:)

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #228 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 15:47:01 »

At least you honest. Do your thing.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #229 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 16:25:51 »

It is not enough just to join - you must make 50 reasonable posts to be deemed worthy ;)

Offline zlittell

• My Projects
« Reply #230 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 16:48:10 »
Honestly I only started looking at building a keyboard after seeing an image from @keyclacker on instagram.  I started looking around for information on building your own keyboard just to see what people were doing.  I originally ended up over at Deskthority, mainly because of my generic questions and their wiki system.  Once realizing that they are mainly EU based I came here.  I like reddit as a classifieds system and do most of my BST over there (also haven't been here long enough for the GH BST subforum), but I like a forum layout more for community style things.  It is what I am used to.  Plus the making stuff together subforum is what's up.  It is generally where I end up hanging out on most community forums I join.  I think its really cool the amount of people here actually making stuff.  I mean hell, making molds and pouring keycaps is super cool, but the fact that there is more than just a couple people doing it is amazing.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #231 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 20:49:18 »
Honestly I only started looking at building a keyboard after seeing an image from @keyclacker on instagram.  I started looking around for information on building your own keyboard just to see what people were doing.  I originally ended up over at Deskthority, mainly because of my generic questions and their wiki system.  Once realizing that they are mainly EU based I came here.  I like reddit as a classifieds system and do most of my BST over there (also haven't been here long enough for the GH BST subforum), but I like a forum layout more for community style things.  It is what I am used to.  Plus the making stuff together subforum is what's up.  It is generally where I end up hanging out on most community forums I join.  I think its really cool the amount of people here actually making stuff.  I mean hell, making molds and pouring keycaps is super cool, but the fact that there is more than just a couple people doing it is amazing.

Making stuff is a huge part of the GH community.  There's all sorts of resources available, and many telented and helpful people lurking around to help.

Offline linkshine

• * Destiny Supporter
  • If you wanna b my lover, u gotta get w/ my friends
« Reply #232 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 20:52:32 »

Yup! Thru GH I found that GON Crystal TKL from pilot, and have been in love. I've already contacted a few ppl on here to help me do it when the time comes! I don't trust myself- but there are some uber talented people on here doing that kind of stuff

Making stuff is a huge part of the GH community.  There's all sorts of resources available, and many telented and helpful people lurking around to help.

Offline mrgoldenzombie

• Topre is cool I guess....
« Reply #233 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 16:04:58 »
To not see Poker 2 (Corsair RGBs, Razer BWs, ...)  posts, to not hear Ripster talk BS all most of the time, and to get away from post like "what is best keyboard?" type of questions!  :))
A true home for real keyboard enthusiasts
O-Ringed Black RealForce 87u  | O-Ringed Novatouch with Miami PBT

Offline SunPanda

« Reply #234 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 21:19:39 »
In order to buy artisan key caps, especially brocaps :D. Also because it has a great, nice community.

Offline pyrolovesmoney

« Reply #235 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 18:06:42 »
I find it to be a little more creative and useful for modification than reddit.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #236 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 18:24:09 »
"I joined GH so I can spam enough posts to become eligible for the latest Bro sale." :thumb:

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #237 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 20:04:15 »
"I joined GH so I can spam enough posts to become eligible for the latest Bro sale." :thumb:

Well played :))

Offline MeltingTeeth

« Reply #238 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 16:20:44 »

Lol.  Didn't happen.

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #239 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 11:07:51 »
When I first got into the mech community, I joined all I could, here, /r/mk, and DH.   I found that a lot of vendors hang here, there's a thriving marketplace, and lots of places to learn.

Once I got used to digging through 35pg long forum posts, things got easier.  Most the time, the top post has all the info I was looking for.  ;)

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #240 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 00:15:43 »
Lesbihonest, you shouldn't.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #241 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 11:52:51 »

QFT. life-ruining site

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #242 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 11:59:34 »

QFT. life-ruining site
Actually it's the members. Bunch of scrubs. Join r/mk and DT for a short nap.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline shibataken

« Reply #243 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 14:02:56 »
Been here a day and everyone seems awesome.  GH does not seem as snooty as other forums!

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #244 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 14:12:42 »
Why should you join Geekhack?

To learn how to properly use gifs!

Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Prelim

« Reply #245 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 14:21:27 »
↑↑↑↑↑ this ↑↑↑↑↑
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #246 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 20:02:11 »
Gifhack :))

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #247 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 21:19:27 »
It's a great way to meet two ladies.

My boards:
More

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #248 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 21:23:57 »
It's a great way to meet two ladies.
nice meme
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #249 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 21:25:59 »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.