Author Topic: 'Why should I join Geekhack?'  (Read 1149163 times)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Re: 'Why should I join Geekhack?'
« Reply #250 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 21:29:55 »

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #251 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 10:01:53 »
Gifhack :))

116991-0

Edit: I should made this a gif :-[
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 November 2015, 10:17:04 by infiniti »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #252 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 10:07:08 »
Show Image

@heedpantsnow here's your problem, you only had one knife.

Offline arcvile

• * Destiny Supporter

Offline ANightOnCloudNine

« Reply #254 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 12:12:33 »
cus it's ****in awesome

Offline Vox_PT

« Reply #255 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 16:31:30 »
cus it's ****in awesome
This. It's a fine forum. And I appreciate fine stuff. :)

Offline roaduck

« Reply #256 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 20:46:42 »
Wanted to hear what people thought, maybe from the perspective of a potential new member coming from reddit or another forum.

So, why should someone be compelled to join Geekhack?

Well you can meet some very funny. knowelgeable folks on here (and not just single geeks - but it helps! what with obsessive and hobbies that are a bit time-consuming etc) that leave me for dead and I`ve been observed as eccentric on occassion, oh my God I`m getting worse - I just turned 50 and I was as mad as a box of frogs in the seventies!

Btw I work self-employed and burn the candle at both ends and soon I might need some extra strong Columbian coffee extract LOL to keep up with the 20 odd year old fly-boys haha

« Last Edit: Sun, 06 December 2015, 20:52:46 by roaduck »
BS : IBM 1391406
Other keyboards - don\'t ask

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #257 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 20:52:53 »
Because its cool here  :p

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #258 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 20:53:21 »
If you're coming from reddit (as I did) you should join Geekhack to fully expose yourself to the keyboard community (if you're into that kind of stuff). No one forum is better than the other and if you're really interested in learning all that you can you're going to have to explore all available options.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #259 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 20:55:04 »
you're going to have to explore all available options.

But are you dedicated enough to learn korean just to explore options?
http://www.otd.kr/
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #260 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 20:57:31 »
you're going to have to explore all available options.

But are you dedicated enough to learn korean just to explore options?
http://www.otd.kr/

Google translate has got my back. =D

I also bought some stuff from Taobao with the help of Google translate.

Offline roaduck

« Reply #261 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 20:58:28 »
If you're coming from reddit (as I did) you should join Geekhack to fully expose yourself to the keyboard community (if you're into that kind of stuff). No one forum is better than the other and if you're really interested in learning all that you can you're going to have to explore all available options.

This site is not just about `puters and keyboards and lads into keyboards and technology - talking on here is like a great soulmate in the pub - and some have sea-legs (can handle their drink etc haha ) and are a veritable tonic - (You know who you are geekHackers! )

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #262 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 21:01:45 »
This site is not just about `puters and keyboards and lads into keyboards and technology - talking on here is like a great soulmate in the pub - and some have sea-legs (can handle their drink etc haha ) and are a veritable tonic - (You know who you are geekHackers! )

Why do you just talk in ****ing hilarious similes all the time
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline roaduck

« Reply #263 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 21:55:21 »

Sorry to be pedantic but it`s a quarter to four in the morn and I`ve been drinking as people do on Saturday Nights/Sunday mornings - I`m well north of Greenwich (Manchester UK) but grammatically speaking in similes is from the same latin root as similar.

"a figure of speech involving the comparison of one thing with another thing of a different kind, used to make a description more emphatic or vivid (e.g. as brave as a lion )."

I use Euphemisms far to often and also self deprecating humour "comes in handy" which is both a synonym and figure of speech also it is a truism.

No seriously Im not English or American or Eastern European - I`m a mixture -  Haha - "just because it was born in a stable it doesn`t mean that it`s a horse" haha

My location is the Roman (Latin) spelling of Manchester UK and I can tell you`re an American from the Northern 50 straight away (only kidding)

Why do you just talk in ****ing hilarious similes all the time

« Last Edit: Sun, 06 December 2015, 21:59:42 by roaduck »

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #264 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 22:35:05 »
* At least you don't need to use a 5.5mm deep socket yet.

Offline roaduck

« Reply #265 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 05:57:50 »
* At least you don't need to use a 5.5mm deep socket yet.

Too late Snowdog993 - how to do surgery on an old 1391401 - (of course I needed a slim body long 5.5mm) - The American version `cos it was too mucky - it lived in a bus garage for 25 years and it ended up black from beige! After a jolly good solvent scrub and dry-out it was working like new - even though the case and key caps were stained with sooty diesel fumes - the office tea-lady cum right-hand man wouldn`t part with it.

I wish I had a camera on me - you would have died laughing and alas I moved hundreds of miles away from the garage and lost contact.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #266 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 06:15:37 »

Offline gain

« Reply #267 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 22:47:05 »

Although I did not come from reddit, this is more or less why I'm here, I plan to branch out further but as someone who is rather quiet online, baby steps..

That said I'm very focused on the acoustics of keyboards these days, so I'd love to contribute in regards to that.

Plus it's a pretty comfy place.

Offline tribade

« Reply #268 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 00:26:28 »
Found my way here through r/mk years ago.  Couldn't be happier to be here instead.  Ripster fosters a very one-sided irrational hate fest over there, although it's generally disputed once he says something.  Mostly though, I really enjoy the people here and I love the way the forum format allows for ongoing discussions and group buys.  It allows for real conversation instead of the same set of questions asked over and over again.
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #269 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 00:51:17 »
Found my way here through r/mk years ago.  Couldn't be happier to be here instead.  Ripster fosters a very one-sided irrational hate fest over there, although it's generally disputed once he says something.  Mostly though, I really enjoy the people here and I love the way the forum format allows for ongoing discussions and group buys.  It allows for real conversation instead of the same set of questions asked over and over again.

/r/mk does not = ripster though. I think that's a bit disingenuous to the folks over there that do provide interesting discussions and content to look at the two as one in that same. I do agree thought that the depth of conversation can and does go quite a bit deeper, reddit, by nature is prone to shallower and repetitive discussion.
More

Offline tribade

« Reply #270 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 08:31:44 »

/r/mk does not = ripster though. I think that's a bit disingenuous to the folks over there that do provide interesting discussions and content to look at the two as one in that same. I do agree thought that the depth of conversation can and does go quite a bit deeper, reddit, by nature is prone to shallower and repetitive discussion.

I agree with that. I didn't mean to make it seem as though ripster was the only aspect of r/mk. And he does post interesting content occasionally as well! But he is the creator of the sub and he does seem to pop into a majority of posts over there and I find his attitude can grate on my nerves a bit. But there are a lot of good posters over there as well.
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #271 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 15:27:54 »
GH is the most friendly and responsive community I've ever come across. Plus, if you are into kb's or you want to get into them, GH is the right place. Deskthority also has a forum, but for me deskthority is more a wiki than a forum.

GH RULES!
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline starscream

• I have nothing to say
« Reply #272 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 15:49:51 »
Why should somone join geekhack?

To be part of the biggest circlejerk in the keyboard community of course  :thumb:

Poker                                 HHKB Pro 2

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #273 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 15:53:43 »
For the demik. Only place you can get 100% demik 75% of the time
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #274 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 03:53:20 »
For the demik. Only place you can get 100% demik 75% of the time

Muted the other 25% of the time ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline CSCoder4ever

• If it clicks I dig it
    • my github
« Reply #275 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 21:36:16 »
Why Join GH?

it's like... oh I don't know, a really useful resource when it comes purchasing mechanical keyboards, as well as some keycaps for those keyboards  :p
Rosewill RK-9100; Poker II; Magicforce 68; Planck; WASDv2 TKL; Corsair k65; minivan; tada68;

*buntu - Debian - OpenBSD

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #276 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 22:01:51 »
Gives you something to do at work.

And since its not reddit or imgur people don't bat an eye when they walk by and see it on the screen.

They just think its some programming forum that I always look at to answer programming questions.

Thank-you geek hack for filling in the gaps on those boring days.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #277 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 06:39:36 »
Gives you something to do at work.

And since its not reddit or imgur people don't bat an eye when they walk by and see it on the screen.

They just think its some programming forum that I always look at to answer programming questions.

Thank-you geek hack for filling in the gaps on those boring days.

Also better than 9gag at the office. Obviously comparing GH to 9gag is like comparing apples with oranges, but my point is that GH is far more interesting to check at work at intermediate intervals than 9gag. 9gag becomes boring more of the same same very quickly when you check it often.

Offline theoriginal123123

« Reply #278 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 17:03:14 »
Joined cause I scored my first artisan keycap a while ago, and then I found the Making Stuff Together section, and now I'm looking to start casting my own keycaps... Nobody told me the rabbit hole went this deep!

Offline CoolGrayAJ

« Reply #279 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 03:17:20 »
For me, it's because I finally decided to get something that isn't an MX. The moment I got my HHKB, I fell madly in love, and just wanted to spoil it with artisans, coiled wiring, etc etc.

Also, of all the expensive hobbies I've adopted, this one has the better community by MILES.

HHKB         Razer BlackWidow     Steelseries 6gv2         Logitech G710+
                   Evil Geniuses Edition   MX Red & Brown

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #280 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 21:11:45 »
For me, it's because I finally decided to get something that isn't an MX. The moment I got my HHKB, I fell madly in love, and just wanted to spoil it with artisans, coiled wiring, etc etc.

Also, of all the expensive hobbies I've adopted, this one has the better community by MILES.

HHKB <3

What other expensive hobbies are/were you into?

Offline Vimto

« Reply #281 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 02:42:42 »
I had been a voyeur on GeekHack for a while but decided to join when I wanted to get in on group buys and start building my own board. Didn't even know about r/mk tbh and prefer the way GeekHack handles long lived threads.

HHKB Pro 2    HHKB Pro 2   Realforce 87U       WhiteFox        Keyboardio
   BT Hasu                              55g 10th      The True Fox        Model 01
  Controller                        Anniversary Ed.     On Order         On Order

Offline Weltschmerz

« Reply #282 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 08:48:46 »
Well, coming from someone who lurks that other website... Mostly because I'm pretty tired of seeing the same ****ing keyboards over and over again, with a bunch of RGB lights. Not like any of the communities are really better or worse than each other, they both have trashy people and toxic culture sometimes, but every keyboard community has something to offer. For me, Geekhack has a lot more knowledge, potential, and skilled people here. Kinda makes it hard for a scrub like me to contribute. I use that other website cause it's pretty quick and is a little bit easier to navigate (No 100+ page threads there) but it's pretty lackluster in comparison to raw material here.

Offline LunarisDream

« Reply #283 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 04:25:04 »
Learn how to ****post like demik

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #284 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 04:31:43 »

Learn how to get banned like demik, too? ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline LunarisDream

« Reply #285 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 05:51:07 »

Learn how to get banned like demik, too? ;)

Weeeeeell... I heard it's a good learning experience. :^)

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #286 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 08:15:07 »
To learn.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #287 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 11:51:31 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:42:19 by alienman82 »

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #288 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 12:12:59 »

REPORTED

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #289 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 12:26:27 »

This is really getting annoying.

If you don't like my posting, feel free to block me. I've done enough for this ****ing community already.

More
or don't, I don't care actually.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #290 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 12:42:18 »
Learn how to ****post like demik used to

ftfy

:-*
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #291 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 12:43:02 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:42:12 by alienman82 »

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #292 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 16:36:36 »
For me, it was wanting to learn more about this whole mechanical keyboard thing. As others have said already, r/mk, like a lot of stuff on Reddit, is too fleeting.

One negative I've noticed so far though... You guys can get pretty ****ing pretentious.
pls gief bbv2

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #293 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 16:42:50 »
It's a great way to meet two ladies.

I haven't looked at this thread in months but it hasn't changed much.

And there are at least half a dozen ladies active here.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #294 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 16:50:06 »
It's a great way to meet two ladies.

I haven't looked at this thread in months but it hasn't changed much.

I barely remember posting this... I think there was an active tp4 thread at the time complaining about the lack of women on GeekHack. I believe I was parodying that.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #295 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 17:11:09 »

I think there was an active tp4 thread at the time

And that is why the proportion is vanishingly small.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #296 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 19:14:42 »
I come here because when I say Tope is love and when I complain about cap shine people understand me and know what I'm saying.

Also the nostalgia sharing.. Few people have warm memories using dos or win 3.1. Here those people come and exist.

Offline Faeja

• more gg more skill
« Reply #297 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 19:19:18 »
It's more niche/ hard-core if you will here. It isn't just pokr, corsair, and razer everyday. Also reddit layout is a bit weird for me.

Leopold FC750R

Offline UTommieTanka

« Reply #298 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 20:48:53 »

Exactly why I came here :) Your name rings a bell... is it the same on reddit?

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #299 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 11:44:47 »
To make it great again.
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.