Author Topic: 'Why should I join Geekhack?'  (Read 1149225 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: 'Why should I join Geekhack?'
« Reply #350 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 16:43:29 »
Because I have a fetish for small, precisely organized, brightly colored objects?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #351 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 21:51:22 »
Because I have a fetish for small, precisely organized, brightly colored objects?

* rowdy backs away slowly
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #352 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 06:03:29 »
Because it's a pretty good forum and forums are in my opinion a far healthier and more enjoyable alternative to social media.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #353 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 03:03:03 »
So what I'd really like to know—and I think of this each time I see this topic—is, what's this "joining" thing the OP refers to? Do you have to actually join something here (i.e. send money, receive a special badge, whatever)? All I do is log in, read stuff, and post stuff. Am I missing out on an immense hidden members-only area for real keebheads?

Of course it may be one of those things where if you have to ask, it means no one's invited you because you're the kind of person who asks about this stuff, and who wants peeps like that hanging around? Let's face it, you can't win. Still, I'm wondering.

191803-0

Yikes. Okay, I know it's not that.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline duckboi

« Reply #354 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 08:13:37 »

You have to join with your keyboard to be a part of geekhack.  :eek:
The m0ar empty you feel,  the m0ar space for Keycaps..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #355 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 17:49:09 »
So what I'd really like to know—and I think of this each time I see this topic—is, what's this "joining" thing the OP refers to? Do you have to actually join something here (i.e. send money, receive a special badge, whatever)? All I do is log in, read stuff, and post stuff. Am I missing out on an immense hidden members-only area for real keebheads?

Of course it may be one of those things where if you have to ask, it means no one's invited you because you're the kind of person who asks about this stuff, and who wants peeps like that hanging around? Let's face it, you can't win. Still, I'm wondering.

(Attachment Link)

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/join?s=t

Definition 4?

To join - to become a member of [Geekhack], by creating an account and signing in.

In the context of the first post, this is in contradistinction to joining (becoming a member of) other online keyboard/technology-related forums.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #356 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 19:15:13 »

(Attachment Link)

Definition 4?

To join - to become a member of [Geekhack], by creating an account and signing in.

In the context of the first post, this is in contradistinction to joining (becoming a member of) other online keyboard/technology-related forums.

Yeah, there's no secret club here.  :))  Join means to create an account and participate in the forum community.  :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #357 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 20:49:15 »

(Attachment Link)

Definition 4?

Yeah, there's no secret club here.  :))  Join means to create an account and participate in the forum community.  :)

Although some people do join and lurk.

Sometimes for years!

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #358 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 20:50:45 »

Participation is wonderful! Where do I join?

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #359 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 08:45:34 »
I am in the Deskthority Club. Does this count for anything on Geekhack?
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #360 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 08:51:43 »
It's like going to a yankees game with a mets jersey on.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #361 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 08:56:09 »

So I don't get a special badge?  :-\
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Coreda

« Reply #362 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 09:07:23 »

Inquiring minds need to know, is it daytime all the time over in Deskthority land or do they have a night theme as well?

Any secret and not so secret society worth joining needs some velvety dark backdrops.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #363 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 09:20:54 »
There's no official dark theme, but there are a few CSS modifications out there.

Offline mkkeyboardvigilante

• Location: Atlanta, GA, thocking, clicking, and clacking away depending on my mood
« Reply #364 on: Sun, 10 March 2019, 17:40:53 »
So I can give myself more reasons and excuses to drain my bank account and talk about peripherals with people who actually understand how important they are.

Also, I kinda like the vibe here the best. I post on the Reddit board sometimes, but I like the smaller community feel and atmosphere so far. I tried posting on a Discord room just about mechanical keyboards, but I prefer to talk about KBs and tech stuff on Geekhack, Reddit, and in YouTube comments really.
Current driver: HHKB Pro 2 (BKE Ultra Lights), Wooting One w/ Flaretech Red switches and HyperX PBT keycaps.

Other keyboards I own and like: Realforce 87U Variable Weight, Realforce 87U 55g, Niz Plum, Magicforce 108 Gateron Reds w/ O-Rings.

Other keyboards I have: Magicforce 68 Cherry MX Brown, Havit Low-Profile Kailh Blue, Logitech K740,
Yeah, it's a loooooooooooot of keyboards. :P

Offline duckboi

« Reply #365 on: Mon, 11 March 2019, 17:06:56 »

So I don't get a special badge?  :-\

you only get weird looks from people wondering as to why you're a part of THOSE GUYS
The m0ar empty you feel,  the m0ar space for Keycaps..

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #366 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 14:31:35 »
we're better than ripster
Ripster's still cool and all  :(

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #367 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 13:01:54 »

Ripster's still cool and all

That should be posted in the "unpopular opinions" thread.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #368 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 04:06:30 »
For great community and huge keyboard knowledge base.

Plus you can read all the posts where tp4 warns about Cholesterol !
:D
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline nyry43

« Reply #369 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 06:30:26 »
I came over here from r/mk. At first I just wanted to be more aware of interest checks and group buys, but I'm learning to appreciate the community over here. I like that a conversation can take place over time compared to the day long string of comments on reddit.

It has also helped me to actually try to contribute. Without the pressure of meaningless internet points I feel much more comfortable sharing.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #370 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 07:19:43 »
I came over here from r/mk. At first I just wanted to be more aware of interest checks and group buys, but I'm learning to appreciate the community over here. I like that a conversation can take place over time compared to the day long string of comments on reddit.

It has also helped me to actually try to contribute. Without the pressure of meaningless internet points I feel much more comfortable sharing.

Yeah, i generally enjoy GH more than something like r/mk and it's fast-paced posts and short-term discussion. GH is a place where you can learn, contribute and educate each other while still being active on following stuff like ICs and GBs.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline dingusxmcgee

« Reply #371 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 07:31:17 »

+1 to this

Definitely appreciate the feel of GH more than Reddit.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #372 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 11:02:08 »

Totally agree.  Each individual community offers its own unique benefits and drawbacks, and some feel more likely to foster community than others.  The continuing discussion and lack of downvotes here appeal greatly to me.  But like many others, I started on r/mk too, and visit daily. 

Offline dingusxmcgee

« Reply #373 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 12:12:12 »

Totally agree.  Each individual community offers its own unique benefits and drawbacks, and some feel more likely to foster community than others.  The continuing discussion and lack of downvotes here appeal greatly to me.  But like many others, I started on r/mk too, and visit daily.

Someone also summarized (quite well) the roles that GH, Reddit and discord all play as the community evolves.
I think it was in the “is GH dying” thread.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #374 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 14:59:58 »

Someone also summarized (quite well) the roles that GH, Reddit and discord all play as the community evolves.
I think it was in the “is GH dying” thread.

Ahh, that's right.  Seems to be a hot topic these days.  :))

Offline yui

« Reply #375 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 04:42:18 »
Personally i joined for the making stuff together, discovered Geekhack thanks to soarer's converter and stayed seeing how the community came together helping each other to make it work of as best as they could. it is inspiring.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #376 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 09:33:19 »
Personally i joined for the making stuff together, discovered Geekhack thanks to soarer's converter and stayed seeing how the community came together helping each other to make it work of as best as they could. it is inspiring.

It's always impressive for how long people continue to discover and use old guides like that.  :)  Glad you could find it, get some use, and stick around! 

Completely agreed, by the way - Making Stuff Together has always been the best part of GH.  :thumb:

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #377 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 13:11:40 »
It is Orange and Black. You can look back at the posts anytime you want. Always archived. Need I say more. Nostalgia!

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #378 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 00:14:58 »

Ripster's still cool and all

That should be posted in the "unpopular opinions" thread.

+1 Fohat!

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #379 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 09:05:30 »
I've lurked forums for years, and When Reddit killed most of them I had really had very few left to lurk.

However Geekhack was different, probably one of the friendliest forums I've been on. I'd say that people here on the average are kinder than on the /r/mechanicalkeyboards

so it's my new keyboard hangout spot.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #380 on: Wed, 01 January 2020, 13:13:47 »
I've lurked forums for years, and When Reddit killed most of them I had really had very few left to lurk.

However Geekhack was different, probably one of the friendliest forums I've been on. I'd say that people here on the average are kinder than on the /r/mechanicalkeyboards

Dude, that's nice to hear! I can wholeheartedly say that GH is way friendlier and more "long-term" than any community I've been a part of. So see you around, my friend!

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #381 on: Wed, 01 January 2020, 14:26:12 »

Dude, that's nice to hear! I can wholeheartedly say that GH is way friendlier and more "long-term" than any community I've been a part of. So see you around, my friend!

This right here, I think I can count on one hand how many times I've seen this on Reddit, I prefer my smaller old fashioned forums.  :cool:

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline HomestylePY

« Reply #382 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 08:51:52 »
i got sucked in

Offline chale_moore

« Reply #383 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 02:22:23 »
Why to join Geekhack - I have joined Geekhack to increase my knowledge more, to read the latest new good suggestions of people, tips and tricks, and to get reviews related to keyboard related companies.

Offline Gower

« Reply #384 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 03:20:12 »
there is no karma system. so much better like this.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #385 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 04:13:29 »

BUT HOW WILL I EVER KNOW IF WHAT I’M SAYING HAS VALUE WITHOUT INTERNET POINTS

Oh wait.. people will just tell me? Okay, that’s okay then.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #386 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 11:58:30 »

BUT HOW WILL I EVER KNOW IF WHAT I’M SAYING HAS VALUE WITHOUT INTERNET POINTS

Oh wait.. people will just tell me? Okay, that’s okay then.

The only real measurement to know if you're on the right track is when you get a reply with the word "nice" and nothing else. Then you've accomplished something. :thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 August 2020, 15:13:42 by funderburker »

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #387 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 00:40:52 »
I said something before but I don't remember what I said.
 :eek:

Offline jeaneallenn

« Reply #388 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 01:29:03 »

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #389 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 02:29:15 »
No cool Icons in your signature on /r/mk :)
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline ne0nboy

« Reply #390 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 22:39:59 »
I've been meaning to join for ages, usually just lurk reddit.

Offline yui

« Reply #391 on: Thu, 29 October 2020, 10:28:22 »
Having been here for a bit now i think a good answer would simply be Tp4 :) never on topic but always the best
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline BritishBulldog

« Reply #392 on: Mon, 08 November 2021, 11:05:58 »
I discovered the world of artisan keycaps and started looking for information on how to make them, what equipment is needed, where and how to sell them. And some article on the Internet contained a link to geekhack. Here I found the answers to many of my questions

Offline jennyluce

« Reply #393 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 05:50:06 »
I personally think this the best place to talk about the keyboard. for keyboards lover

Offline Username

« Reply #394 on: Tue, 01 February 2022, 13:28:11 »
Because I want to spend $250 on a single keycap.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36546.0

I joined about 10 years ago and this is the post I remember best. I don't know if this is well known here, but if I recall correctly, people thought the red Cherry doubleshot escape key was super rare and were willing to spend a boatload of money on them. Then elitekeyboards found a bunch of them and sold them for like $5 on their site. It was kinda hilarious.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #395 on: Sun, 13 March 2022, 16:37:39 »
This or DT, anything is better than reddit :P
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline upscalevalley

« Reply #396 on: Mon, 29 August 2022, 03:23:31 »
The forum is quite helping. You post stuff that's irritating you and you get answers immediately.

Offline ramboss

« Reply #397 on: Sat, 19 November 2022, 11:17:06 »
For a person who starts from scratch and begins to venture into this world is difficult, this forum is not easy. Maybe you need to already have some basis. But this is just my opinion, I don't want to criticize anyone. Indeed, there are real masters who can teach you the art.
Daniele from Italy.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #398 on: Sat, 19 November 2022, 11:26:28 »

there are real masters who can teach you the art.

Watching videos by Chyros would be a good start.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Chyrosran22
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline ramboss

« Reply #399 on: Mon, 21 November 2022, 14:50:28 »
thank you very much  fohat.digs