geekhack Marketplace > The Keyboard Company

Any Discounts For Geekhack Forum Members ?

(1/5) > >>

Dirty Bint:
Bruce,

Any discounts for Geekhack forum members on orders from the Keyboard Company - local UK shipping ?

You have a sub forum on the Geekhack web site to support and promote your products so a forum member discount would be appropriate.

Discounts are often offered by suppliers who participate in internet web sites dedicated to enthusiast interest groups.

Rgds
Dirty Bint

JBert:
I don't know whether to answer "nice try" or "learn to search".
The only detail I miss in the latter post is if he was talking about all items or just the Filcos.

Half-Saint:
I think DB's request is perfectly legitimate. As a scuba diver and a member of national scuba association I get 10% discount in all stores, no matter what I want to buy.

--- Quote ---DISCOUNT.
Geekhack members with a join date prior to Aug 2009 (That's inclusive so there's time) buying 5 pieces get 5% and 10 pieces gets 10%.
--- End quote ---

I'm sorry but I find this laughable. First of all, this excludes EVERYONE who joined after the above mentioned date. Second, how many people are going to buy 5 keyboards?! Even if a group order was made by one member, the cost of re-sending the individual boards would completely null any discount given.

Just my 2cents...

Dirty Bint:
JBert,

The original post by Bruce was made in August 2009 and he indicated it was members before August 2009 who could get discounts. However, we are now 9 months further on and Bruce may wish to review the situation with an update.

Personally, several enthusiast forums I know of have suppliers who offer quite reasonable discounts to forum members in some cases up to 10% depending on the product.

After all, what is the purpose of The Keyboard Company having a sub forum on this site, simple, it is to promote and sell their products. I have no issues with that, however, a reasonable discount should be available to forum members in return for the forum provding them with a sub forum to promote their products and services.

The same principle applies to the other sub forums on this site used by other commercial organisations to promote their products.

Rgds
Dirty Bint

Bruce:
Hi Dirty Bint

That's a fair question - I'm happy to discuss this.

I posted the discount details in Aug 2009 so it did include everyone at that point. It would be no problem to bring that up to present day.
Any higher level of discount is a bit more tricky. Buying multiples does indeed save us time and effort and usually carriage so yes, we are happy to pass that on.
When shipping out in ones and twos all we can do is cut into margin - which isn't much anyway.

We're really keen to encourage as many people as possible to get the Filco Experience and I personally want as many Filcos out there as possible. Because I believe the best advert for a Filco - is a Filco.
With this in mind - when we originally did the sums we were mindful of the high price being a dis-incentive to buy and kept it as low as possible so that the published price looked OK. I am also keen to do what I can to avoid the 'Rip off Britain' and 'Rip of Europe' thing and you'll notice our prices stand up quite well in this respect. Despite the fact that there are very good reasons why goods are generally more expensive in Europe. This is something I urge you to take up with your Euro MP by the way.

There is an added complication currently in that currencies are unstable and I deal in Euro, Dollars, Sterling and Yen so I honestly can't tell you what the next batch will cost me. And Sterling isn't the high flyer right now.

Our UK customers do benefit from free carriage which represents £6.00 straight off.
I'd also say that if you want to make a commercial success of selling a product like Filco a pile it high, sell it cheap approach isn't going to be sustainable. You'll notice all the 'volume' merchants are no help with anything unusual.
That's because you are not going to attract the volume you need and you still need to be able to afford a really high level of customer service.

So in summary I have to say - sorry - as much as I would like to I can't offer any more substantial discount right now. I will however pass on any savings we can make in future (to everyone) and I do very much value the priveleges we have on Geekhack.

I would also add that having a Filco is worth every penny, even at £100 plus it is my opinion that they represent excellent value, it can last you forever, and I don't want to type on anything else.

That's as simple as I can put it without writing chapters.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version