Author Topic: Questions About Caps  (Read 3997 times)

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
Questions About Caps
« on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 20:18:23 »
Hey all, I just got my Filco Majestouch Ninja TKL and wrote a review here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40320.0

As I state, I am on the brink of purchasing a black KBC PBT key cap set with black engraving. I am also buying four blank red KBC PBT caps from the same guy for the WASD cluster. He told me that the WASD cluster are thick keys while the others are regular KBC PBT.

I know the physical difference between the two, but should I hold out and wait until he has them all as thick or it isn't a big deal? I thought it was actually cool that the WASD cluster would be thick. Sort of separates them from the rest but I just wanted to get someone's feedback on how big of a difference is the feel of the keys. I am generally talking about the bottoming out because that is where I most feel the type of key.

Also, I wanted to purchase O-Rings. Can anyone recommend which ones I should get for the red switch.

Also (lol), I definitely need a wrist rest. Is the Filco one as amazing as the keyboard? I kind of wanted one without another Filco logo on it, but if it is ergonomically amazing, I wouldn't mind. It isn't like it is over branded or anything and still looks sweet.

Thanks all, I love it here!!! Such euphoria today with my new keyboard!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Questions About Caps
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 20:23:44 »
I highly recommend imak wrist rests. I have one for my mouse and its amazing.

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 18:40:59 »
kind of curious about this also.  how much would i notice the difference between normal and thick pbt keycaps if they were sort of mixed on the keyboard?
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline whiskerBox

Questions About Caps
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 18:50:19 »
There is a noticeable difference between thick and thin keycaps, but you may not notice as much if you are using Orings with them. For me I felt like the Orings were similar to training wheels and help keep me from bottoming out all the time. They don't prevent you from bottoming out, although they do help. Also if you do bottom out it is typically quieter than bottoming out a keycap with no Oring under it.
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 19:37:38 »
There is a noticeable difference between thick and thin keycaps, but you may not notice as much if you are using Orings with them. For me I felt like the Orings were similar to training wheels and help keep me from bottoming out all the time. They don't prevent you from bottoming out, although they do help. Also if you do bottom out it is typically quieter than bottoming out a keycap with no Oring under it.

But you definitely recommend the red O-Rings, correct?

Also, I am sure there is a difference between regular KBC PBT and double shot, but double shots are double the price. Honestly, the key caps that came with my Filco Majestouch Ninja feel less quality than the ones that came on my Razer. I liked the solidness that the Razer gave and from what I hear, regular PBT keys are far superior to ABS. So I am sure I am going to have a nice, pleasant feeling even going with single shot.

If any of this is incorrect, please let me know.

Thanks again. Love you guys.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 04:58:51 »
Back lit keys and double shot keys are typically ABS.

Razer has some sort of added coating on their keys. I don't like it personally.

I personally prefer PBT blank caps. The best ones I've tried so far would be the Ducky blank black set from mechanicalkeyboards.com -- also I bought a set of thick Vortex dyesub from one of Feng's group buys... I think I bought it like 3 months ago and it still isn't shipped yet  :'(

Edit;
ha. Forgot about the o-rings - I use them.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 February 2013, 05:37:40 by Flip »
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline smockey

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 05:31:36 »
O-rings highly depends on what you want to achieve. I assume that you are speaking about WASDkeyboards ones.
I personnaly prefer blues because the offer the greatest travel reduction but have a softer “landing” feel.

If you are really unsure of what you want, you might as well want to try out the “sampler kit”. You will get different switches, different color keycaps (ABS shamefully) and different o-rings. This way, you can try combinations and decide on what your final purchase will be.

About the wrist rest, I'm definitely not a huge fan of them. Studies tend to prove that they increase the risks of  CTS (carpian tunnel syndrom), although all studies do not agree on that point. Anyway, once you understand how to put your hands on your keyboard, you don't really need a wrist rest (in my opinion at least :p)
Filco MJ2 TKL (MX Brown)  // PBT caps // o-rings mod
KBT Pure (MX Red) // PBT caps / o-rings mod

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 07:03:13 »
But you definitely recommend the red O-Rings, correct?
Yes!

Get the 40A thick ones.  Put them on all your keys.  Your hands should then last about an extra 35,000 miles before you wreck them.  You might end up with an extra 8 years of hardcore gaming if ur lucky.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 19:12:36 »
O-rings highly depends on what you want to achieve. I assume that you are speaking about WASDkeyboards ones.
I personnaly prefer blues because the offer the greatest travel reduction but have a softer “landing” feel.

If you are really unsure of what you want, you might as well want to try out the “sampler kit”. You will get different switches, different color keycaps (ABS shamefully) and different o-rings. This way, you can try combinations and decide on what your final purchase will be.

About the wrist rest, I'm definitely not a huge fan of them. Studies tend to prove that they increase the risks of  CTS (carpian tunnel syndrom), although all studies do not agree on that point. Anyway, once you understand how to put your hands on your keyboard, you don't really need a wrist rest (in my opinion at least :p)

I thought KBC was the best PBT brand. I ordered KBC black with engraved.

Offline kboardvintage

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 07:44:41 »

Best ones will be available soon  :))

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 09:06:50 »

Best ones will be available soon  :))

And those are?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 09:13:45 »
kboardvintage used to sell pbt caps on ebay. I'm guessing he's hinting that he'll be selling them once again.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 09:48:00 »
kboardvintage used to sell pbt caps on ebay. I'm guessing he's hinting that he'll be selling them once again.

Nice, I'm still new here so my questions might seem newbish.

I'll be eagerly awaiting an update!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 09:50:58 »

Nice, I'm still new here so my questions might seem newbish.

I'll be eagerly awaiting an update!

No worries. I'm really new as well. SmallFry taught me that fun fact is all.  :D

Offline kboardvintage

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 04:35:07 »

never had PBT for sale. Those sets were GMK made (Double Shot off-white)

might be a hint tho :P

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 13:14:41 »

never had PBT for sale. Those sets were GMK made (Double Shot off-white)

might be a hint tho :P

Gmk?

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:46:56 »
I may be a little late with this bit of information, but this user is selling PBT keys (OEM) and WASD sets (OEM).

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 10:39:23 »
I may be a little late with this bit of information, but this user is selling PBT keys (OEM) and WASD sets (OEM).

Yeah, but not blank. Thanks for the heads up though.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 12:05:22 »
Got you some red blanks for like $2 :)

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 13:35:18 »
Got you some red blanks for like $2 :)

Show Image

<3

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 13:40:52 »
I highly recommend imak wrist rests. I have one for my mouse and its amazing.

We are wrist rest brothers!!!
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."