Author Topic: Looking for a new mouse with a better scroll wheel.  (Read 6430 times)

Offline nikpmr

Looking for a new mouse with a better scroll wheel.
« on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 21:00:50 »
Hi all,
I'm looking for a mouse with a free-scrolling wheel, as in one without notches you can feel as you scroll. But I haven't been able to find one that I like so far.

I'm using an MX Master right now, but I've found Logitech's hyperscroll to be way too sensitive. The slightest nudge can jolt the page I'm viewing up or down, which is annoying. I was hoping to find something a bit more rigid.

I tried Microsoft's wireless mobile mouse 4000 which did have a smooth scroll that I was satisfied with, but its mobile size is much too small for my hand. The same went for Logitech's small, cramped M525, which boasted "micro-precise scrolling," which just meant that the scroll wheel detents are closer together for a more precise scroll.

Does anyone know of a mouse that has a non-clunky scroll wheel, but is large enough for day-to-day use?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Re: Looking for a new mouse with a better scroll wheel.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 17:16:49 »
"non-clunky" is going to be completely subjective. I personally love Logitech's HyperScroll wheels (on the G502, G900, MX Master, etc), but unfortunately I'm not familiar with other brands of free-scrolling scroll wheels.

With the MX Master, are you using the Set Point software? I'm pretty sure you can adjust the scrolling sensitivity in there.

Offline nikpmr

Re: Looking for a new mouse with a better scroll wheel.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 17:10:36 »
I am using the software. No way to set the scrolling sensitivity in there though, except toggling "Enable Smooth Scrolling." Having it off makes the page scroll in large increments while having it on makes it so sensitive that just brushing up against the wheel makes it scroll halfway down the page. There's no "middle ground."

I guess to be more precise, what I'm looking for is a mouse with more "clicks" per scroll. With most mice, scrolling once with the wheel makes the wheel click about 7-8 times. The Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000, the Logitech M525, and the Apple Mighty Mouse give you a much more precise scroll wheel (about 20 times). I was hoping to come across more mice like these.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 January 2017, 17:13:06 by nikpmr »