Author Topic: [GB] TMK Alps64 - 60% PCB for Alps  (Read 613778 times)

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
Re: [8th Run 2017/Jan][GB] TMK Alps64 - 60% PCB for Alps
« Reply #900 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 17:08:13 »
GB Update
Closed 8th Run Batch.2 now and its shipping will be happened in this week.

No more batch is planned in 8th Run. But some leftovers from Batch.2 are available later.

Thank you!

Offline pizza_is_a_lie

• * Maker
  • ISO Master Race
    • Paradigm
« Reply #901 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 06:24:35 »
So keen on a leftover. I'll PM you, hasu!

Offline AuDiTH

« Reply #902 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 13:15:20 »
Interested in one of the leftovers as well  :D
SSK | AEK64 | TX-CP | HHKB | Acrylic Pearl | Duck Orion V3 | LZ MP | Kyuu Sakura
Currently joined GBs:
GMK British Racing Green
GMK ThinkCaps
SA 8010

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #903 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 20:09:18 »
GB Update

Shipped all orders of 8th Run out yesterday, participants will receive tracking number email from Japan Post in a few days from now. If not email me, I'll look into.

I'll post about leftovers here some later.

Thank you

Offline odd

Re: [GB] TMK Alps64 - 60% PCB for Alps
« Reply #904 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 21:20:25 »
Just build mine up. Is there any way to add a caps lock or any type of indicator led? I ask because I see support for it in tmk just don't see anywhere on the PCB where you can add one.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #905 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 23:12:30 »
Just build mine up. Is there any way to add a caps lock or any type of indicator led? I ask because I see support for it in tmk just don't see anywhere on the PCB where you can add one.

No LED support. You have to hack PCB if you want to use any LED.
LED on bottom side(PC5) is used for capslock indicator by default, you can replace it with your favorite LED. Or PC4, 6 and 7 pins are not used and you can use them for your idicators. BTW, what kind of switch and keycap are you going to use for indicator?

Using mechanical lock switch for capslock key is easy way if you don't have to use LED necessarily. you can use keycode 'Locking Caps Lock'(LCAP) for it.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #906 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 15:04:41 »
NM i got one but still  :-X at that blue grey board
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 February 2017, 17:40:07 by happylacquer »

Offline CursorTN

« Reply #907 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 13:28:58 »
I can't wait for my Alps64 to arrive!

With newly made Alps keysets (Alpine Winter and the forthcoming Light Cycle GB), I wonder if it might be possible to add compatibility for Cherry PCB-mount stabilizers on an upcoming round? 

I was thankfully able to source Alps stabilizers and an Alps-compatible stabilizer plate, but the stabilizer issue is one that may prevent me from diving into Alps projects after this one is done.  Without the support of the giving and thoughtful Seattle keyboard community, I would have been sunk!

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #908 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 14:08:09 »

With newly made Alps keysets (Alpine Winter and the forthcoming Light Cycle GB), I wonder if it might be possible to add compatibility for Cherry PCB-mount stabilizers on an upcoming round? 

I was thankfully able to source Alps stabilizers and an Alps-compatible stabilizer plate, but the stabilizer issue is one that may prevent me from diving into Alps projects after this one is done.  Without the support of the giving and thoughtful Seattle keyboard community, I would have been sunk!

I'd love to see this too. It would be a lot easier to optionally use PCB mount Cherry stabs instead of trying to source correct Alps/Matias stabs.

The only issue I'd see is with the available plates out there. Most I've seen are set up for Alps/Matias plate mount stabs.
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 kmē), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 kmē),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #909 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 15:12:23 »

I'd love to see this too. It would be a lot easier to optionally use PCB mount Cherry stabs instead of trying to source correct Alps/Matias stabs.

The only issue I'd see is with the available plates out there. Most I've seen are set up for Alps/Matias plate mount stabs.

Are you guys sure this is possible? Is datasheet or dimension of those keycaps available somewhere?
I don't know how Alps keycaps with cherry mount work much and I'm really curious.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #910 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 15:20:04 »

Are you guys sure this is possible? Is datasheet or dimension of those keycaps available somewhere?
I don't know how Alps keycaps with cherry mount work much and I'm really curious.

I was not able to find a datasheet, but here is an example http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dcs-alps-mount-2-space-pack-of-10/

From what I've heard these use standard Cherry-spec stabilizer spacing.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #911 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 03:30:51 »
Just got my package, but only one of two ordered PCBs. I sent you an e-mail regarding this.

Offline clickstops

« Reply #912 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 13:27:19 »
PMing re: leftovers

Offline pizza_is_a_lie

• * Maker
  • ISO Master Race
    • Paradigm
« Reply #913 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 13:43:19 »
Still waiting to hear on leftovers!  :( :p

Offline CursorTN

« Reply #914 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 00:57:18 »

According to this thread, Alpine Winter is compatible with Cherry Stabs:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=75515.msg1875926#msg1875926

My understanding is that Signature Plastics just switches the middle stem for Alps sets.  Everything else is identical.  I'm just about sure this is the case for Light Cycle Alps too as it's being made for MX stems also.

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #915 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 07:57:38 »
PMing re: leftovers

I have a PCB that I will not get to building.  PM is you are interested. 

Offline odd

« Reply #916 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 19:07:41 »

LED on bottom side(PC5) is used for capslock indicator by default, you can replace it with your favorite LED. Or PC4, 6 and 7 pins are not used and you can use them for your idicators. BTW, what kind of switch and keycap are you going to use for indicator?

Using mechanical lock switch for capslock key is easy way if you don't have to use LED necessarily. you can use keycode 'Locking Caps Lock'(LCAP) for it.

Oh, ok thanks for the info. I used a salmon alps switch I would love a locking alps switch but  have never came across one.

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #917 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 22:27:25 »
Great job Hasu!
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 February 2017, 23:28:35 by MandrewDavis »
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #918 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 02:41:12 »

I was not able to find a datasheet, but here is an example http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dcs-alps-mount-2-space-pack-of-10/

According to this thread, Alpine Winter is compatible with Cherry Stabs:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=75515.msg1875926#msg1875926

My understanding is that Signature Plastics just switches the middle stem for Alps sets.  Everything else is identical.  I'm just about sure this is the case for Light Cycle Alps too as it's being made for MX stems also.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into pcbs with Cherry stab support.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #919 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 01:23:27 »
Some pcbs from leftover are available now, see first post.

Thank you

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #920 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 08:24:22 »
Got my PCB yesterday and built her up with no issues w/ AEK2 layout & Orange alps. I'd provide pictures but I'm at work- was actually kind of fun to solder in the diodes and everything went perfect so I appreciate it Hasu!
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

« Reply #921 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 02:07:09 »
got it today and tested. Everything's fine, so i just need to put it somewhere till June, when alps lightcycle will reach me.

Offline E3E

« Reply #922 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 02:24:38 »

This is possible if you have PCB-mount Cherry stabilizers or likely even plate-mount stabilizers offered in appropriate layouts. I use Cherry stabs with a Duck Eagle PCB and a universal plate that accepts Alps switches as a matter of coincidence. No problems there. 

However, it's possible to use Alps keysets with cruciform stab mounting with Matias stabilizers and properly bent wire. You can also modify standard Alps stab inserts for this purpose and bend the wire yourself. Costar stabs also work for cruciform-mount caps, but the plate obviously needs to account for that as well. 

So the options are:

• Cherry stab support either by plate or PCB
• Costar stab support in plate
• Matias stabs with necessary wire modifications (up to the end user)
• Modified Alps stab inserts with necessary wire modifications (up to end user)

Regarding using Cherry stabs:

I need to also say that the stab spacing for Alps 7u space bars is NOT the same as Cherry. You cannot use a normal 7u wire for an Alps 7u space bar made by SP or Tai Hao or any Alps key cap manufacturer for that matter.

The only wire that will work in that case will be your own custom bent wire or wires salvaged from the rare few vintage Alps boards that use Cherry stabs for the space bar.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 February 2017, 02:39:30 by E3E »

Offline phoible

« Reply #923 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 12:59:25 »
The AEK and AEKII have a latching switch for caps lock (it's grey). I never use it for my builds because I don't ever use caps lock and always map it to something else.

Oh, ok thanks for the info. I used a salmon alps switch I would love a locking alps switch but  have never came across one.

Offline airs

« Reply #924 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 15:30:39 »
Some pcbs from leftover are available now, see first post.

Thank you

Emailed you asking to buy one of the leftover PCBs.
Octagon v2, LZ CLS

Offline CursorTN

« Reply #925 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 21:58:15 »

[/quote]

I posted about this in the /r/mk thread about the Light Cycle group buy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/5wsybi/buying_the_mcp_must_be_destroyed_lightcycle_is/decxvz7/

Evan confirmed Cherry stab support.  In fact he says it's required.  Thanks for looking into this, Hasu!

Offline keruibo

« Reply #926 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 21:37:23 »
Hasu,

Big thank you for making this build possible!  I most often type on either my restored vintage M0115 or my M3501 retrofitted with Alps White switches.  But for a long time I've known perfect keyboard would be:

a) 60% form factor with user-programmable layers
b) AEK PBT keycaps
c) Alps Orange or Alps White (I love them both equally and can never help switching between them)

Thanks to your effort on this PCB project, I finally have my perfect keyboard!  Since I can never make up my mind whether I like Orange or White clicky ones....I bought three boards: 1 for Orange, 1 for White and 1 for Matias quiet (to take along for working in shared work environments on occasion).

I just finished building the first two boards (Orange and Matias Click).  Everything went together perfectly!  The instructions on this thread were outstanding, and I had no issues at all along the way.  I'm typing this up with my new Alps64 made with Orange switches donated by an Apple M0116, keycaps and plate donated by an AEK M3501, your Alps64 PCB and a Sentraq 60% Plastic case.

Again big thanks Hasu for this! Here is a write-up and photos of the build and final product:
http://blog.robkerr.com/60-percent-custom-apple-keyboard-build/
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 March 2017, 21:41:08 by keruibo »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #927 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 18:44:54 »
Thanks for posting! Good write up.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #928 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 16:52:19 »
Any leftovers available :D?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #929 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 19:06:26 »
Yes, it is still avaiable :D Check first post  to place order.

Thanks

Offline zacheadams

• Friendly Neighborhood Keyboard Enthusiast
« Reply #930 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 15:33:16 »
Yes, it is still avaiable :D Check first post  to place order.

Thanks

Order for a leftover placed, cheers!

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #931 on: Sat, 01 April 2017, 14:12:10 »
If anyone is interested I'm currently hosting a gb for 60% alps aek steel plates using Hasu's plate design.  :thumb:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=88615.0;topicseen

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #932 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 00:23:36 »

I'm workin on revising design for Cherry pcb mount stablizers, I'll order some pcbs some later to test it.
Anyone know where I can buy Alps keycaps with MX stab mount?

any suggestion?

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #933 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 00:34:00 »
Anyone know where I can buy Alps keycaps with MX stab mount?

any suggestion?
Show Image

Any of the Alps caps made by signature plastics should be mx stab mount.

http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dcs-alps-mount-2-space-pack-of-10/
http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dcs-alps-mount-space-bar-pack-of-1/

from here

The Alpine Winter set and the blanks sometimes sold by massdrop with infinity keyboards are the only full sets I know of.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #934 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 14:51:44 »
Thanks!
Shipping costs much :( I'll look into others further.

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

« Reply #935 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 02:57:11 »
Thanks!

I'm going to get a Tai-Hao red Dolch set in a month or so. AFAIK, they have ALPS mount and Cherry stabs (at least for a spacebar) and I can share it, cause I've gave the Datadesk MAC 101E, which I intended to put those caps on as a birthday gift to the friend of mine, so basically I don't need it anymore.

Let me know, if you're interested.

EDIT: only spacebar is Cherry, others are for ALPS stabs. So I guess, that's not that interesting now.
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 April 2017, 03:36:02 by FearsomeCubedWarrior »

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #936 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 06:13:07 »
Thanks!

Hello Hasu, I have a lot of MX-stabilised Alps caps from Signature Plastic (they are various mistake or rejected caps from their Alpine Winter sets that were sold in their occasional grab bags). I am more than happy to send you a few of different sizes for testing if you like (I don't have any spacebars though)

Let me know if you would like some of these caps, you can have them for the price of shipping
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #937 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 17:17:07 »
Thanks!

Hello Hasu, I have a lot of MX-stabilised Alps caps from Signature Plastic (they are various mistake or rejected caps from their Alpine Winter sets that were sold in their occasional grab bags). I am more than happy to send you a few of different sizes for testing if you like (I don't have any spacebars though)

Let me know if you would like some of these caps, you can have them for the price of shipping

I found adding Cherry stab support breaks existent support for ISO Enter of Dell102 and decide to stop designing the pcb.

anyway, thank you for the offer!

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #938 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 18:21:42 »
Thanks!

I found adding Cherry stab support breaks existent support for ISO Enter of Dell102 and decide to stop designing the pcb.

anyway, thank you for the offer!

I think I see the problem based on the picture you linked earlier. It's a shame! But I guess people who has Cherry-stabilised Alps caps could always cut a plate that allows them to use plate-mounted Costar or Cherry stabs.
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #939 on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 21:55:17 »
Yeah, that's exactly what I thought out at last.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
Re: [GB] TMK Alps64 - 60% PCB for Alps [Open 9th 2017/May]
« Reply #940 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 18:39:23 »
Hi folks,
Now 9th round is open.

Thank you

9th Run 2017/May
Please email to hasu@tmk-kbd.com with "Alps64 GB" in subject to place order and just let me know number of PCB(1 or 2). Paypal Invoice will be sent to your email, you'll be able to make a payment with credit card on Palpal even if you don't have Paypal account. Your shipping address should be supplied in Paypal form when payment.

PM may not work for this GB, use email instead.

If you are in a hurry you can get leftover from previous round, pcb revision is identical to 9th one. See below.

Schedule:
2017/05/31 close
2017/06/19 start shipping

Cost:
Price: $42USD                                   
Shipping: $10USD(add $4 per extra PCB) for world-wide shipping                                           
It costs $52 for a PCB and $98 for two.

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #941 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 18:23:55 »
Hasu, how do I enable AEK layout bottom row under the TMK Keymap Editor? I can't figure out how I arrange AEK bottom row, I've tried different positions on the bottom row, but I cant get it working

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #942 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 18:41:20 »
Hasu, how do I enable AEK layout bottom row under the TMK Keymap Editor? I can't figure out how I arrange AEK bottom row, I've tried different positions on the bottom row, but I cant get it working

Just ignore key right next to space bar, it should works straight as you expect.
If this doesn't help post your keymap URL, use "URL shortener" button.

Offline waldorf120

« Reply #943 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 14:24:18 »
On my Alps64 board, not sure which revision, when I press "i","n", then "d" really fast, a "t" is registered after the "d".  Has anyone else had this issue, and is is fixable?  I use a QWERTY layout with TMK firmware built by Hasu's firmware editor and flashed with FLIP.  The PCB is new, I just started using it yesterday, has a white solder mask.

Offline keruibo

« Reply #944 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 15:30:06 »
Ugh...just tried doing this on my alps64, and I can't reproduce it.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #945 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 15:56:56 »
On my Alps64 board, not sure which revision, when I press "i","n", then "d" really fast, a "t" is registered after the "d".  Has anyone else had this issue, and is is fixable?  I use a QWERTY layout with TMK firmware built by Hasu's firmware editor and flashed with FLIP.  The PCB is new, I just started using it yesterday, has a white solder mask.

Those four keys, located in K75, K72, K52, K55, form rectagle on key matrix and meet conditions for ghost key. If you have diodes decently the ghost should not happen. http://www.dribin.org/dave/keyboard/one_html/

Some of diodes deosn't seem to work correctly, check direction and soldering of all your diodes, especially D7* and D*2.

Offline waldorf120

« Reply #946 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 18:27:53 »

Those four keys, located in K75, K72, K52, K55, form rectagle on key matrix and meet conditions for ghost key. If you have diodes decently the ghost should not happen. http://www.dribin.org/dave/keyboard/one_html/

Some of diodes deosn't seem to work correctly, check direction and soldering of all your diodes, especially D7* and D*2.

Thank you Hasu I will try that!  The diodes are surface mount soldered by another user, and a few weren't working when I got the board, I will check the ones that you mentioned.

Offline mike-anderson

« Reply #947 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 20:49:54 »
Hey Hasu,
For the PCB design, have you considered moving row2 and row3 from PD2,PD3 (pad 8,9) to PC6,PC7 (pad 23,22)?
I think that could potentially free up PD2 and PD3 to be broken out and used as serial RX and TX for a UART bluetooth adapter like the bluefruit. https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing-the-adafruit-bluefruit-le-uart-friend/introduction

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #948 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 21:22:42 »
Hey Hasu,
For the PCB design, have you considered moving row2 and row3 from` PD2,PD3 (pad 8,9) to PC6,PC7 (pad 23,22)?
I think that could potentially free up PD2 and PD3 to be broken out and used as serial RX and TX for a UART bluetooth adapter like the bluefruit. https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing-the-adafruit-bluefruit-le-uart-friend/introduction

No. I didn't have plan for mod like that from the begining. Also I won't change pins for this pcb for future because it harms firmware support for existent users.

I would design new pcb when I want bluetooth.

EDIT:
I'll use this module with open source firmware.
https://www.seeedstudio.com/MDBT40P%C2%A0-%C2%A0nRF51822%C2%A0based%C2%A0BLE%C2%A0module-p-2503.html

Bluefruit seems to be easy to use but its firmware is not open unfortunately.
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_BluefruitLE_Firmware/issues/14
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 May 2017, 21:35:43 by hasu »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #949 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 21:37:01 »
Hey Hasu,
For the PCB design, have you considered moving row2 and row3 from PD2,PD3 (pad 8,9) to PC6,PC7 (pad 23,22)?

If you are trying to mod your Alps64 PCB for bluefruit, how about usng software UART on PC6 and PC7?