Author Topic: How is this layout I made myself?  (Read 4044 times)

Offline Me

• Location: Niskayuna, Capital Reigon, NY State, US, North America, The Atlantic, Earth, The Sun's Solar System, The Milky Way, The Quadrant of the Universe that the Milky Way is in, the known Universe, the whole Universe, the theoretical Multiverse, this dimens
How is this layout I made myself?
« on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 10:56:45 »
I think that it's pretty good as its 68 keys while the 60% is 61, but it is no less compact. Here it is:

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/a26c11f3d434a9664cb728fb693d0235

EDIT: I changed the layout a lot, and am slowly going toward a more ergonomic and ergonomic layout, and I have something like this. I wanted feed back but didn't want to start a new thread, so hey.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/9d86179bad23b8cd5f583829da37af64
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 March 2021, 20:03:20 by Me »
"In the end...the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine...Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..."

tp4, compendium of speed, 2015

Offline AuthenticDanger

Re: How is this layout I made myself?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 11:21:40 »
Just go full 1u ortho and have 75 keys
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline Me

• Location: Niskayuna, Capital Reigon, NY State, US, North America, The Atlantic, Earth, The Sun's Solar System, The Milky Way, The Quadrant of the Universe that the Milky Way is in, the known Universe, the whole Universe, the theoretical Multiverse, this dimens
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 11:24:49 »
Eh, I don't really like ortho cuz i like the big spacebar
"In the end...the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine...Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..."

Offline vvp

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 12:59:54 »
Then you posted to a wrong forum. It should have been "Keyboards" or "Making stuff together".

... since your proposal does not have any ergonomics features at all and you do not seem to be willing to add them (e.g. split space bar, thumb clusters, split keyboard or column staggering).

Offline Me

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 13:21:14 »
Two things. First, my mistake, I thought layouts went in this section, and second, what is split spacebar, do you recommend it?

Offline Me

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 13:22:56 »
Also what are thumb clusters and column staggering?

Offline vvp

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 13:59:20 »
Well, maybe layouts belong here. But there is nothing ergonomic about your layout.

Thumb clusters are diagonally placed keys e.g. in this image:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=100854.0;attach=219782;image

I recommend them at least for the modifiers. When you search geekhack you will find tens of different layouts for thumb clusters.

Split space bar is just a space bar on a standard keyboard split in two halves (two separate keys). That allows very traditional users to map both halves into the same key (space). And if they use one thumb to press space it is very easy to map other half to e.g. back-space, or shift, or control ... and experiment with it. Split space bar is the smallest minimum one can do to have keyboard a bit more ergonomic and still having the keyboard looking like almost any other non-ergonomic keyboard.

Column staggering: Notice that classical keyboards have rows of keys slightly shifted to each other. That is row staggering. Many ergonomic keyboards have keys organized to columns and the columns are shifted to correspond to different length of fingers of human hand. That is column staggering. Like e.g. on this picture:
https://i.imgur.com/jYDInaY.png

Offline Gorbon

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 18:32:17 »
The bad news is, you still have a lot to learn, before you can design a good layout. I think that this is even worse than the standard layout (quite an achievement actually), in too many ways to list. Randomly rearranging keys and changing keycap sizes and row staggering to fit more keys, is not going to work.

The good news is, if you are serious about learning, there's a ton of great resources out there, so never let smart alecks, like myself, discourage you.

I'd start at Deskthority's wiki and go from there.