Author Topic: [GB] GMK Taro (Shipped!)  (Read 132698 times)

Offline pwade3

[GB] GMK Taro (Shipped!)
« on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 10:06:36 »
GMK Taro

Current Status: Sets have shipped!

Orders via Panc.co -
Base = 238/250
Spacebars = 127/100
Novelties = 196/250

Orders combined with proxies -
Base = 321/250
Spacebars = 190/100
Novelties = 256/250

About the Set

The theme is simple enough: taro bubble tea. I was drinking some one day and thinking about how much I liked the color and it dawned on me that it might make for a pretty good looking keyset. The purple tones were nice but I thought it needed something more, so I went with cyan and yellow accents, which represent the crazy-colored straws that most boba places have.

This set will be cherry profile, produced by GMK, using good old doubleshot ABS. The purple colors will be custom, hex codes of #8E71A2 and #170B19, the cyan and yellow are TU2 and CV from GMK.

Kits

We've got 3 kits: Base, Spacebar, and Novelties, there are fancy renders below, but here's our GMK renders, just so everyone knows what we've got lined up with them.

Pricing

Pricing is as follows:
        Base (at 250 moq): $155
        Spacebars (at 100/150/250 moq): $30/$28/$24
        Novelties (at 250 moq): $20

Shipping will be $10 Conus. Panc.co will be handling non-EU as well as non-CN orders, our current estimate is that shipping will be roughly $26 for those customers. 

GMK's current lead time is roughly 14 weeks, so with time taken to nail the colors, current estimated shipping is sometime in June.

ORDER HERE

EU: Mykeyboard.eu

CN: zFrontier

Everyone else: panc.co

Tie ins

I'm proud to say that we've got some very awesome people collaborating with us to offer even more Taro-related goodies!

GAF

For starters, one lucky purchaser of GMK Taro will win a Boba Burbs Garbo Puss, created by GAF. This colorway was produced using the hex codes for the set, so while it may not wind up being a 100% match to the finished product, it should be an amazing addition to any board using Taro!

Keyforge

The other Taro-related tie in is brought to you by none other than Keyforge! He's going to be conducting a raffle for Taro-themed caps for GB participants at the end of the group buy. He'll be conducting the sale in his typical format otherwise, but note: non-purchasers of GMK Taro will be ineligible.

Unfortunately we won't have pictures, but that's because he's going to be waiting to make the caps till we have samples and production colors confirmed so that the colors can be as well-matched as possible!

Want more renders? Click HERE

Last but not least, a special thanks to so many people for helping me get to this point. Alexatpanc for being open to taking this project on. Livingspeedbump for offering some very helpful advice to a complete newbie. Kudos and Koala of keykollectiv for supporting this in a way I never could have anticipated. Keyforge for similarly unanticipated support. Oblotzky and Zambumon for the amazing renders. Outragedpudding for doing amazing work with all the artwork and novelty designs. Lightningxi, jacobsmirror, thegreaticedrake, gajible, shinz0, shell058, i_need_a_bath, kelly, and countless other friends and purple lovers who encouraged me to keep at this to hopefully have it see the light of day.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 October 2018, 07:44:02 by pwade3 »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: [GB] GMK Taro (Running 1/26 to 2/16)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 20:47:27 »
Approval bump  :thumb:  As usual, Caveat Emptor!

IC thread:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93313.0
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 January 2018, 20:50:06 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 21:12:44 »
It's on now, leggo purp!

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 21:26:35 »
GONNA BE DOOOOOOOPE!!!

Offline Helldrop

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 00:51:33 »
I’m in, hope a huge success.

Offline hndle

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 08:15:28 »
I 'm confused that I wrote down email address correctly
Is there any way to confirm it?
anyway I'm in! :D
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 January 2018, 08:19:00 by hndle »

Offline pwade3

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 12:45:55 »
I 'm confused that I wrote down email address correctly
Is there any way to confirm it?
anyway I'm in! :D

Just drop me a pm and I can take a look.

Offline online

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 02:08:29 »
How much does it save by using Europe proxy? the sum of all sets is almost the same as buying from US +20%.
I thought the idea of Europe proxy is to save the import tax.

Offline Peppermint216

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 03:35:23 »
How much does it save by using Europe proxy? the sum of all sets is almost the same as buying from US +20%.
Same situation for me, looks like I'm paying £30/~$42.50 more(base plus novelties) compared to US prices with the proxy.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 January 2018, 03:42:13 by Peppermint216 »

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 03:58:05 »
Same situation for me, looks like I'm paying £30/~$42.50 more(base plus novelties) compared to US prices with the proxy.

I didn't think that was how it works. As far as I'm aware there is no escaping the VAT. The difference is the VAT is payed with your purchase via the proxy and via a customs fee with your delivery.

Their website even says "All products on our website sold to consumer customers in the European Union with 21% VAT included.  Products sold outside the European Union are VAT exclusive but require handling through customers in the country of destination.".

You will also get faster and cheaper shipping since the box isn't going from Germany to the us back to Europe.

Offline Peppermint216

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 04:01:56 »

I didn't think that was how it works. As far as I'm aware there is no escaping the VAT. The difference is the VAT is payed with your purchase via the proxy and via a customs fee with your delivery.

Their website even says "All products on our website sold to consumer customers in the European Union with 21% VAT included.  Products sold outside the European Union are VAT exclusive but require handling through customers in the country of destination.".

You will also get faster and cheaper shipping since the box isn't going from Germany to the us back to Europe.
So you guys don't pay tax or import fees in the US?

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 05:00:25 »

Taxes are only if it's from a business in the same state usually. For fees its only an import duty and not a sales tax, so the average rate is only like 3%, and is based on the value of the sets at the rate purchased from GMK and not the rate sold to us. So our taxes are WAY WAY lower than yours. I believe for plastic goods its like 6.5% of whatever the invoice/import papers say the value is. But that part of the pricing is usually built into the GB rates and you would have to pay it just the same as we do since the GB runner would still pay it as part of the cost of importing the caps to begin with, so you would in essence get taxed twice, but if you are asking if there is some other tax that would get added if you ordered from the united states, the answer is no, the pricing should already include any import duties.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 January 2018, 05:02:10 by Amnesia »

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 05:32:38 »

Taxes are only if it's from a business in the same state usually. For fees its only an import duty and not a sales tax, so the average rate is only like 3%, and is based on the value of the sets at the rate purchased from GMK and not the rate sold to us. So our taxes are WAY WAY lower than yours. I believe for plastic goods its like 6.5% of whatever the invoice/import papers say the value is. But that part of the pricing is usually built into the GB rates and you would have to pay it just the same as we do since the GB runner would still pay it as part of the cost of importing the caps to begin with, so you would in essence get taxed twice, but if you are asking if there is some other tax that would get added if you ordered from the united states, the answer is no, the pricing should already include any import duties.

I also totted up the difference and decided to go with the EU proxy. Importing from the states will mean paying tax at the post office (on value of item including postage) AND royal mail's £8 handling fee. The only way to avoid that tax is basically to break the law, which is like, y'know, whatever, your prerogative.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 08:05:59 »

I also totted up the difference and decided to go with the EU proxy. Importing from the states will mean paying tax at the post office (on value of item including postage) AND royal mail's £8 handling fee. The only way to avoid that tax is basically to break the law, which is like, y'know, whatever, your prerogative.

I'm also unsure whether the calculations are taking into account an increased s/h cost when shipping from the US to the UK.

Either way, if you are an EU citizen, then you are best served by leveraging the wonderful proxy relationship we have established with mykeyboard.eu.  :)

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 09:00:45 »

I'm also unsure whether the calculations are taking into account an increased s/h cost when shipping from the US to the UK.

Either way, if you are an EU citizen, then you are best served by leveraging the wonderful proxy relationship we have established with mykeyboard.eu.  :)

Tbh this was the deciding factor. There's no point in us Europeans harping on about EU proxies if we don't use them when you fine folks go to the effort of providing them, innit.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 16:45:19 »
I had to join for the delicious colors.  I really hope the alphas will retain their powdery muted warm lavender color.  Seems like quite a few GMK sets start out with more muted renders and end up with more vibrant (dare I say garish in some cases) colors once the actual plastic is mixed and molded.  (P.S.: the GAF caps show a more blue-lavender compared to the renders--hopefully it's just the difference in white balance).

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 17:17:37 »
I had to join for the delicious colors.  I really hope the alphas will retain their powdery muted warm lavender color.  Seems like quite a few GMK sets start out with more muted renders and end up with more vibrant (dare I say garish in some cases) colors once the actual plastic is mixed and molded.  (P.S.: the GAF caps show a more blue-lavender compared to the renders--hopefully it's just the difference in white balance).

your star is a different color :o

and yeah render accuracy is a persistent issue in GBs, particularly GMK ones

hopefully there is a solution soon
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 18:11:14 »

Hah, you've noticed :D  A few star icons got updated from the old tilted style to the more symmetrical style of the rest of the star icons, and colors got updated as well (I may have had a hand in my color...)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 19:24:17 »

Hah, you've noticed :D  A few star icons got updated from the old tilted style to the more symmetrical style of the rest of the star icons, and colors got updated as well (I may have had a hand in my color...)

i was gonna say, cyan seems like a favorite of yours given the LZ-GH
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 23:52:44 »
100% in for this! Awesome work to everyone involved  :-*
Didn't notice my personal messages have been disabled for those thinking you have been blocked - to contact please reach out through Facebook messages or support email!
WEB: https://rama.works/
STORE: https://ramaworks.store/
INSTA: @ramaworks
FB: ramaworks

Offline KorbenDallas

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 01:02:13 »
This is just the set my purple Klippe needs, great job :thumb: let’s get to MOQ!

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 01:27:56 »
This is just the set my purple Klippe needs, great job :thumb: let’s get to MOQ!

I think it's doing pretty decent. The site says they are up to 115. Not sure if that's with proxy or not.

Offline lee jeong woo

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 08:27:00 »
I submitted my order

When do I get a PayPal invoice?

Offline Nonster

• Lo-Ki Studios
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 08:34:17 »
Submitted, can't wait! We plan to make some Taro Bottle caps down the road to match the set  :thumb: :thumb:
More

Offline pwade3

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 11:05:26 »
I submitted my order

Paypal invoices will be going out at the end of the GB period, per the info on panc.co.

Offline hndle

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 11:40:34 »
Looks like the form of choosing country has changed at panc.co
I think the selection is more granular.
Does it any matter that wrote it before change?

and pwade3! :)
check pm plz

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 13:36:19 »
Looks like the form of choosing country has changed at panc.co
I think the selection is more granular.
Does it any matter that wrote it before change?

and pwade3! :)
check pm plz

I decided to make the drop down a bit more specific. Your previous entry is just as valid. Thanks for asking!

Offline WilySouser

• I would RTFM, but I can't find the FM
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 13:44:22 »
I submitted my order

Paypal invoices will be going out at the end of the GB period, per the info on panc.co.

I didn't see that one either... you might have a duplicate order for me.

Offline johntron25

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 17:40:38 »
dope!

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 04:21:27 »
dope!

You can tell by the profile pic, JohnTron knows what's up.  :thumb:

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 22:41:58 »
Here are some example planck layouts using Base+Novelties:

Album with more layouts + template.
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline pwade3

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 08:22:34 »
Here are some example planck layouts using Base+Novelties:

Show Image
Show Image

Album with more layouts + template.

This is awesome man!

Thanks for going above and beyond to give people a taste of how awesome this base kit really is!  :thumb:

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 20:01:16 »
No problem! It's actually pretty fun for me. I usually do this for any set I'm interested in, just to get a taste of what it'll be like on a planck.
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline pwade3

Re: [GB] GMK Taro (Live, Closing 2/16) Halfway to MOQ!
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 01 February 2018, 09:10:01 »
Updated numbers in the OP, if you can't tell by the thread title change, we're officially halfway to MOQ for the base kit!

Spacebars are more than halfway to their lowest MOQ and novelties aren't that far behind.

Thanks to everyone who has helped us get this far, let's keep it going!  :thumb:

Offline hndle

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 01 February 2018, 09:16:11 »
Wow, we're halfway there. ;D
let's go guys!

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 01 February 2018, 10:02:58 »
surprised people aren't jumping on this, purple is pretty hot

Offline brainT

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 01 February 2018, 11:08:13 »
surprised people aren't jumping on this, purple is pretty hot

Seems to be moving pretty well, just about halfway there a few days into the buy!

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 01 February 2018, 11:34:13 »
oh that's right, still two weeks left or something

Offline ksolis01

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 02 February 2018, 18:03:10 »
I signed up for the novelty and main set but am thinking of getting the spacebar kit too just in case? Do I just fill out the form again or what?

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 22:33:44 »
I signed up for the novelty and main set but am thinking of getting the spacebar kit too just in case? Do I just fill out the form again or what?

Thanks for the notice! Feel free to fill out the form once more and we will combine your orders.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 23:03:07 »
Current numbers since OP isn't up to date:

CURRENT ORDER COUNT -
BASE = 144/250
SPACEBARS = 74/100
NOVELTIES = 105/250

Offline dangboy

• yes
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 02:31:41 »
Oh **** so close already! I can taste that sweet sweet MOQ

Offline hndle

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 07:09:13 »
I hope this GB will succeed. :thumb:
These color is so sweet.

Offline pwade3

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 08:28:20 »
Hey everyone, OP updated with numbers and zfrontier link for Chinese folks, if you're in China, we're currently feeling out the best way to migrate those orders so if you've already placed an order with panc.co, just wait until you hear from us detailing how to proceed.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 09:57:47 »
Do those numbers give the combined orders between the three sites?  They mirror the panc.co numbers.

Offline pwade3

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 10:04:32 »
Do those numbers give the combined orders between the three sites?  They mirror the panc.co numbers.

Those are just the panc.co numbers atm, we're working on getting some updated figures from proxies.

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 10:32:10 »
So we're actually even closer!

That's exciting!

Offline hndle

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 10:40:03 »

Wow, then we can see the numbers that are closer to MOQ.
Looking forward to it. :thumb:

Offline Mousy

• I <3 tootall
    • IG
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 21:01:46 »
Awesome set pwade hope it all goes smoothly!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

- White Kira 60 | Black Kira 60 | TGR Jane v2? -

Offline captainish

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 22:05:29 »
I hope I can find the funds to get in on this keyset, paying for my vacations this month. Great looking set! I hope you hit MOQ.