Author Topic: CST1550 or something else?  (Read 5964 times)

Offline lasttycoon

• Ergonomic Wizard
CST1550 or something else?
« on: Thu, 04 October 2018, 17:54:21 »
I am looking to expand my trackball input methods and I have always liked the look of the CST track balls. I daily a Logi M570 and I want to switch it up every few days to help with my RSI. Looking on ebay I can get a CST1550 for like $30 bucks. Is this a bad idea or is there a catch or something? I see that it does not have a scroll wheel but thats not really a big concern for me since I can just scroll on my keyboard with the arrow keys. I guess this is just one of their lower end models? Is there a particular reason I should spend more and get a 2545?
Kinesis Advantage | Ergodox EZ Browns | RK RC930 | DS 3 Blues

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: CST1550 or something else?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 October 2018, 14:19:28 »
The new logitech vertical trackball feels really good in the hand, but that mainly helps the wrist.

What part of your arm/shoulder/trunk does your RSI take place,

Offline 8Bitterness

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 00:26:48 »
I would think twice about the lack of a scroll wheel. It really is a giant burden to reposition constantly and not be able to comfortably browse either long text files or just websites in general. Just a while ago there were two modern CSTs for $70 and $60 respectively so it's worth to keep looking in my opinion. If that's not an option I'd also consider a Kensington Expert since those are cheaper while also being very smooth and extremely comfortable with the wrist rest.

That MX Ergo mouse does look very comfortable too but I don't know about thumb balls to be honest.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 08:46:16 »
8Bitterness has a point about the scroll wheel. I'm old school enough that I can live without one easily. That allows me to use some great trackballs like ITAC or DT225.

But most folks can't get along without the scroll wheel. I'd recommend trying it first. Just put a piece of tape over the scroll wheel of whatever device you're using now and see how well you can adjust to not having it. This little test just might save you some money.  ^-^
REΛLFORCE

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 07:57:35 »
Isn't there a button that turns the ball into scroll wheel ?

Offline Tactile

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 09:25:46 »
Isn't there a button that turns the ball into scroll wheel ?

Not on any of mine.
REΛLFORCE

Offline lasttycoon

• Ergonomic Wizard
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 25 October 2018, 18:05:14 »
Thanks for all the reply's guys.

First off my RSI is in my right wrist and it mostly hurts with the side to side motion of a mouse.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the CST 1550 due to the low barrier of entry. My conclusion after using it for a few weeks is a really like the form factor. I will say that CST 1550 does not do diagonal motion very well (at least mine) and will occasionally catch, making it so I cant go left or right.

With those negatives out of the way I still really like the trackball. The form factor is perfect for left hand use and I have switched to using it as my primary input device at work. I still have a Logi M570 thumb ball on my right hand side for scolling and if I need to be a bit more precise but all and all I really like the CST.

In order to resolve the few issues I have with the CST 1550 I am thinking I will pick up a CST L-Track next. Hopefully the new design of the rotors will solve a lot of my problems and the inclusion of a scroll wheel will be very convenient.

I have not found a lot of conversations online evaluating the CST 1550 so hopefully this can help someone else who is in my position(considering the CST 1550). Overall I would recommend it if you can get it cheap like I did, but I will upgrading. It was a good buy in that it has converted me to CST trackballs and left hand use.

Now to find a L-Track on ebay for a decent price.

Offline lasttycoon

• Ergonomic Wizard
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 13:27:22 »
Just a quick follow up on the 1550. After opening it up and cleaning the rollers the scratchyness of the trackball has been mostly removed. The odd catching at diagonal angles has been reduced as well. If you are having performance issues with a used optimechanical CST trackball, try giving it a good interior cleaning and see how it works.