Author Topic: [IC] LL 104D  (Read 4834 times)

Offline Myoth

[IC] LL 104D
« on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 14:21:24 »
While I await for the proto of the 305K, I wanted to check interest on another project that is dear to me :

The LL 104D

About this keyboard :
This is supposed to be the epitome of what I personally like in a design : modularity of parts and standardisation of parts. As such, there is no proper "104D", it's more a concept I came up with and made iterations of to get a feel of what the community thinks of such a concept.

Then, what do you offer ?
This Interest Check is for the concept. But a concept doesn't mean there is nothing to be presented, so here are what I present to you today :
The TB-1 configuration made of the Top-TB-1 and the MP-TB-1 and 2
More

The T-1 configuration made of the Top-T-1 and the MP-T-1 and 2
More

The T-2 configuration made of the Top-T-2 and the MP-T-1 and 2
More

The T-3 configuration made of the Top-T-3 and the MP-T-1 and 2
More

You lost me, what the **** is all of this ??
Let's first dive through the story of how it all came together, and why those confusing names for parts. Back when the Boring Box was being designed, when the idea of a middle piece was introduced to the concept, I thought it was an amazing idea that had massive potential. You could buy a single base, and then only swap out the middle piece to change the way your keyboard would feel without changing anything of the exterior. But the Boring Box didn't bring the idea far enough for me, I matured the idea some time and ended up coming up with this keyboard. Which brings us to a more specific list of features...

Specifications :
- Currently the base is compatible with regular GH60s and the Plain60 with USB-C from Evy -
- I made two different sets of Middle Pieces (MP). One Top and Bottom (MP-TB-1) mount, and one strictly Top (MP-T-1). -
- As for Tops, I made a TB compatible top (Top-TB-1) and three T compatible Tops (Top-T-1 to Top-T-3). The base has threads to use stand-offs to use any Top with a TRay mount (TR). Which makes this chart make more sense : -

- The base is 7°,  you could make it more angled, but you can't make it less angled -
- There is no WKL or HHKB tops depicted, but depending on the interest for those, I could make it happen -
- Easy to get standoffs are taken into account to make it a simple tray mount -

TL;DR
- you have a base
- you attach two middle pieces to base, which dictate how the plate will be mounted
- you mount the plate depending on those middle pieces
- finally you choose a top that is compatible with the middle pieces
- and you end up with a tailor-made keyboard

now the thing is, that's not it, because the whole concept would be to be able to make your own parts for it, only the base wouldn't change, you could make new middle pieces for gasket mounting, or new tops if you want a thicker bezel or different sides, etc etc. I will make it open source so the community can make their own spin of the concept, for much cheaper than buy a whole keyboard.

Some things to be noted :
The front and back middle pieces are obviously not the same. The back MP has notch for the USB port, but more than that, the front MP is not screwed in directly to the base. This was a problem that  I had a lot of trouble with, finding out how I was going to attach the front MP to the base. The base is 2mm at its thinnest which makes it impossible to screw into. I thought of making posts the MP would impale itself on, but it would have been really costly, so I never meant to actually use this. It was simply a last resort kind of solution. So I ended up making L-brackets that would screw further up the base and into the front MP. Which should make it easier to machine, therefore bringing the hypothetical price down.

Price :
Price is to be determined.

To-do :
- make a gasket Top and MP -
- get a proto -

If you must, you can contact me on discord @ louison#9774.

Thanks to :
Just like last time, I want to thank all the people that have supported me throughout this design, I especially want to thank Tias which has been a huge help for this specific concept.

I appreciate the time you put into reading this Interest Check, thank you so much !!!

Offline yui_

Re: [IC] LL 104D
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 14:26:34 »
glwic loulou

Offline Owl

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 15:32:31 »
What is the modularity and standardization of this keyboard? What other parts from other boards are compatible with this concept?

Offline catamscott

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 16:26:20 »
absolutely love this, love having the ability to experiment with different mounting options, and appreciate it supporting gh60 style pcbs. going to be hard to pass this up!

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 16:44:51 »
Holy mother of SKU's...

Interesting concept, but you might want to limit the scope of the first run for this to only a handful of total options.

With more options being like the DLC for this products? Just a thought.

Offline Myoth

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 18:27:44 »

What is the modularity and standardization of this keyboard? What other parts from other boards are compatible with this concept?

This project's goal is to set a base for modularity and standardisation, as a single board, it's totally proprietary but I hope it will grow to accustom many many different parts people might come up with :)

absolutely love this, love having the ability to experiment with different mounting options, and appreciate it supporting gh60 style pcbs. going to be hard to pass this up!

thank you, it means a lot to me !!

Holy mother of SKU's...

Interesting concept, but you might want to limit the scope of the first run for this to only a handful of total options.

With more options being like the DLC for this products? Just a thought.

For sure, this was more of a proof of concept, and I I think I would only offer one Top+Bottom and one Top set of pieces just to offer a minimum of customisability

and yeah, I can't lie hahaha those SKU's are definitely a shout out to IBM for having such a strong sense of tidiness :D

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 19:39:13 »
Less text and more images please , aaaa a aaaaa a a aaaaaa

Is it basically a totally customizable keyboard? Ok, It is a good idea

Sounds cool
Unfortunately, there is no way to see if it looks good in real life yet. Treeleaf approved
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 December 2020, 18:06:28 »
Best custom ever. Better than 356 bull ****ing ****.  French > Koreans.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 20 December 2020, 19:18:38 »

wow it's tinnie

also why did you name it "104" that's how many keys are in a 100% and I was really expecting a full-sized
I love Elzy

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 20 December 2020, 19:25:41 »

wow it's tinnie

also why did you name it "104" that's how many keys are in a 100% and I was really expecting a full-sized

Yeah I was confused on that too, especially that number exactly. The name does not match with what you see.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Myoth

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 21 December 2020, 09:38:15 »

thank you tinlong117, much appreciated words.

Yeah I was confused on that too, especially that number exactly. The name does not match with what you see.

I was very much inspired by cars as well for my naming scheme, except that Peugeot always seemed to have the sanest naming scheme of them all (maybe it's chauvinism hah), so I somewhat copied it and applied it to keyboard sizes :

100 series: 60%
200 series: between 60% and TKL
300 series: TKL
400 series: ??
500 series: ??
600 series: fullsize
800 series: weird ass designs
900 series: ??

you get the idea, why 104 is simply  because this is my 4th 60% design, the same way the 305 is the 5th TKL design :)

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 21 December 2020, 12:36:28 »

wow it's tinnie

Wew I’m still being remembered. Now send nudes Sifo my dude.