Author Topic: HTPC keyboard recommendations  (Read 1699 times)

Offline biochem

HTPC keyboard recommendations
« on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 19:56:14 »
I'm going to be building an HTPC soon and I'm looking for some keyboard recommendations.  Looking for something with RF wireless and a touchpad.  Does anyone have first-hand experience with the Logitech K400?

Thanks
Filco MJ2 tenkeyless (blues)
Heatware

Offline r3dx

Re: HTPC keyboard recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 20:29:25 »
I use the Logitech K400 for my HTPC and I've been rather impressed with it.

It's about the same size as a tenkeyless board, but a lot thinner. I also really like Logitech's Unifying receiver system which makes it really easy to setup and work with.

For the price you can't go wrong, because all the other keyboards I've found are rather expensive. The only other thing I would probably prefer is some kind of remote because I usually have XBMC running the entire time so there usually isn't a need for a full keyboard.

Good luck on your keyboard hunt!  :D
Filco MJ2 Ninja | CM Storm QFR | CM Storm QFR | IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | ErgoDox |
LZ-GH

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 21:08:26 »
I use my trusty old Apple wireless. It works well up to about 15-20 feet away.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 22:20:20 »
I use old Logitech Dinovo keyboards (no touchpad though), with a Logitech Mediaplay mouse (secondhand/new old stock only these days, and they seem to be getting rarer). The Mediaplay I think is a fantastic bit of kit, has media keys and works much like a remote, with a good range. Not found another mouse that works quite this way, and they seem to be increasing in price on eBay, mostly because of HTPCs.

The old Dinovo keyboards have a media control dial in a corner as well, although I don't use that as much. Rechargeable battery life is in the months for both bits of kit.

(I appreciate this doesn't fit the OP's question but mediaplay a variant with the RF option)
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 July 2013, 22:25:07 by RabRhee »
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline biochem

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 09:52:17 »
I use the Logitech K400 for my HTPC and I've been rather impressed with it.

That sounds good. I leaning heavily towards the K400.

I use my trusty old Apple wireless. It works well up to about 15-20 feet away.

I'll look into one of those.

I use old Logitech Dinovo keyboards (no touchpad though), with a Logitech Mediaplay mouse (secondhand/new old stock only these days, and they seem to be getting rarer). The Mediaplay I think is a fantastic bit of kit, has media keys and works much like a remote, with a good range. Not found another mouse that works quite this way, and they seem to be increasing in price on eBay, mostly because of HTPCs.

This mouse sounds like a possible replacement for a remote. I'm going to see whats on eBay.
Filco MJ2 tenkeyless (blues)
Heatware