Author Topic: [GB] Tsukuyomi - 65 + macro column  (Read 20227 times)

Offline persocom

[GB] Tsukuyomi - 65 + macro column
« on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 13:13:03 »
CLICK HERE FOR UPDATES

TSUKUYOMI - A 65% With Left Macro Column

Black & E-White Tsukuyomi

IC Thread
CannonKeys discord
persocom discord

Group Buy Information

The group buy will begin on:
CannonKeys - November 28th at 11AM EST
Desk Hero- November 28th at 11AM CST
protoTypist - November 28th at 11AM EST
ILUMKB - November 29th, 11 AM SGT
Daily Clack - Please check the Daily Clack server for updates on GB time
and will continue until December 4th

Extra plates and PCBs will be available for the whole duration even if the base kits sell out sooner.
There will be roughly 350 units TOTAL.

PRICING
Base kit - $440 + shipping

The base kit includes:
-Case top (Choice of WKL or WK) and bottom
-Weight with internal engraving and badge insert (Sandblasted brass with protective coat)
-Plate (Sandblasted aluminum - Black)
-PCB (Designed by Upas, QMK/VIA compatible, SOLDER ONLY)
-All screws (hex) needed to assemble the keyboard
-O-rings for optional burger mounting style
-Custom case feet (these will not be the bumpons shown in the prototypes)
-CannonKeys carrying case with custom foam to fit Tsukuyomi
(for reference, see the small variant of these)

EXTRA PARTS
PCB - $45
Aluminum Plate (Black) - $45
Polycarbonate (Sandblasted) - $45
Carbon Fiber Plate - $40
FR4 Plate - $25
Brass Plate (Sandblasted) - $50

VENDORS
CannonKeys - US, Central & South America
Desk Hero - Canada
protoTypist - UK/Europe
ILUMKB - AP/China
DailyClack - Australia

REGION LOCKS ARE PLANNED

TIMELINE
The current ETA of fulfillment is Q3 2021
This is subject to change as the unexpected can always happen.
I will keep everyone up to date on the status of things as we go.
That said, if you have questions please consider joining my discord server, as I tend to post new information there before I can get to GH because it's a bit easier.

Typing test with various keycap profiles by Minterly

PICTURES

Prototype USB port was hand-soldered so it's a little crooked.

Weight engraving

Black Tsukuyomi

Navy Tsukuyomi

Lilac Tsukuyomi

SPECIAL THANKS

Upas for supporting the project, designing the final PCB, and making it possible for me to get this out to public.
Drew Rios for designing the weight engraving and other emblems/branding.
snurrebassen for input and helping me out with renders while I was still getting prototypes made.
Kilgarah for tons of design chat and designing the original prototype PCBs and FR4 plates.
Everyone in the Tsukuyomi private GB server for being into this enough to convince me to run it.

« Last Edit: Tue, 26 January 2021, 11:57:11 by persocom »

Offline persocom

Re: [GB] Tsukuyomi - 65 + macro column
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 13:17:08 »
UPDATES:

(formatted MM/DD/YYYY, just so there's no confusion)

• 11/23/2020 - GB thread submitted
  • 12/03/2020 - All vendors are sold out of units.  Extra parts are still available until Dec 4th.  Once the GB closes, CannonKeys will begin collecting all of the international order info, and we will prepare to submit the order to the factory.  I will update again once the order has been submitted.
  • 12/08/2020 - Order submitted to the factory
  • 12/22/2020 - End of year check-in. Nothing major to report. Last I've heard, we are in the production queue.  I'll be making an effort to provide "Update - No updates" posts periodically during long stretches of silence in the production period.  If something major happens, I'll update the post title and leave a new comment in the thread.  Thank you for your patience.
  • 01/12/2021 - Happy new year!  We received the sample PCB and it has been approved for production
  • 01/28/2021 - Machining prep will begin before CNY!
  • 03/04/2021 - Just checking in.  The factory seems to be back from the holiday so machining preparation will continue soon, if it hasn't already.
  • 05/26/2021 - Production PCBs and carbon fiber plates have arrived at the factory. Cases are in the machining stage. Sorry for the large gap in updates, there hasn't been much to report so most of the monthly check-ins have been on discord.
  • 06/22/2021 - It looks like a bunch of units are ready to be sent for blasting and ano/e-coat. The photos I received were all WK units so I haven't yet confirmed that all configurations are done machining, but this means we're still progressing. Thank you all for your continued patience! I will be sure to add more info as I receive it.
  • 08/02/2021 - According to the CannonKeys news letter, it looks like the updated ETA is looking more like October/November 2021. Thank you for your patience!
  • 09/23/2021 - Nothing substantial to report. According to the most recent communication we've had, we are anodizing and still on track for the ETA in the previous update.
  • 11/22/2021 - Slow moving for the last few months, but we made it into anodizing. It looks like the updated ETA is more likely to be Q1 2022. Thank you all for your patience!
  • 01/31/2022 - Sorry for the gap between updates, it's been a lot of "in production" non-updates. We are currently waiting for the units to ship to the vendors. Please continue to follow updates from the vendor you placed your order with as they will likely be updating faster than I can.
  • 03/24/2022 - Units have started shipping from Cannon Keys. If you have not received tracking yet, please check your vendor's updates for any information on shipments in your region.  Different vendors have different project backlogs, so shipping schedules will vary.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 March 2022, 12:32:47 by persocom »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 09:29:41 »
Approved :thumb: Sorry for the delay, looks like the mod team was napping on Thanksgiving

Offline sneekypoo

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 14:03:39 »
Got in on a navy one from CK. Looking forward to it!

Offline persocom

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 14:17:35 »
Approved :thumb: Sorry for the delay, looks like the mod team was napping on Thanksgiving

All good! I should have planned for the holidays, to be fair haha

Offline manic#1447

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 00:18:17 »
Can't wait for this to go into production! Also very excited that I got lilac and that this is my very first custom board!

Offline SirKhamenman

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 02:24:41 »
I feel sad I missed this GB just by 1 day :(

Offline tonyjones

• I like big butts and I cannot lie.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 16:26:17 »
NAVY GANG STAND UP

Offline Bobatype

• Discord ID: BobaSweatandTears#1659
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 03:08:01 »
I feel sad I missed this GB just by 1 day :(
I missed out because I spent too long debating between lilac and black, and also debating if I should get the Vega which ran at the same time. Stupid me.
I personally like this layout a bit more, as aesthetically it does make a 65% look more balanced, and functionally I still use ~4 or so F-row key regularly, that I kinda get a little annoyed having to access via layers on smaller form factors.

Offline SirKhamenman

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 05:23:20 »
Ouch, that must be hurt :(
You should have just got them both!

Offline Clay333

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 09:33:54 »
Great looking board. The only thing that held me back was that GMK doesn't make F keys in the correct sculpts to match the rest of the keys when used on a macro column. I have passed on this and the J-01 for that reason. I know it's petty and would probably never be noticed, but knowing that they don't match perfectly I could never be completely satisfied.

Offline catamscott

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 12:01:10 »
Great looking board. The only thing that held me back was that GMK doesn't make F keys in the correct sculpts to match the rest of the keys when used on a macro column. I have passed on this and the J-01 for that reason. I know it's petty and would probably never be noticed, but knowing that they don't match perfectly I could never be completely satisfied.

it's not common, but i think having sculped function keys will become more popular, assuming we keep getting xt or xt-like boards. gmk muted for example has them in one of the kits

Offline Bobatype

• Discord ID: BobaSweatandTears#1659
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 16:40:07 »

it's not common, but i think having sculped function keys will become more popular, assuming we keep getting xt or xt-like boards. gmk muted for example has them in one of the kits
It's becoming more common for novelty kits to also do a sculpted column of 1u novelties. Double columns are relatively uncommon still. Or just use artisans if you're rolling in money haha.
Otherwise universal caps like KAM, DSA, SA-R3 are the only option.

Offline persocom

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 00:39:39 »

Totally understandable!

It personally doesn't bother me much, but I think it would if the macro column keys weren't separated from the left mods.  That said, I definitely would love to see an uptick in sculpted f-keys (as well as extra monotone F keys in 2 tone sets so my macro column can be in 1 color for sets like 9009 etc.) as a result of people continuing to run xt form factors.  would be a huge plus to see the row heights match, for sure  :thumb:

Offline solomonshv

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 27 March 2021, 18:44:27 »

um, what? there are GMK sets with sculpted M keys, as in macro, like GMK serika and striker. does it really make that much of a difference to you if the keys are M0-M10 or F0-F10?

serika M keys: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/3099/8088/products/ZAMBUMON-GMK_SERIKA_2-KIT_03-MACRO_EXPANSION-LB_1024x1024@2x.png
striker M keys: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/3099/8088/products/ZAMBUMON-GMK_STRIKER_2-KIT_02-MACRO_EXPANSION-DB_1024x1024@2x.jpg

alternatively, some sets, like olivia++, had an optional sculpted "hi" kit for macro columns. i think it was like $22.

i got an J-01, zenith and tsukuyomi, and i will be using the sculpted M keys and sculpted novelties on the macro columns.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 March 2021, 18:50:16 by solomonshv »
Keebs::: Bok.CP - Antique Copper | Keycult No.2/65 Black/Brass | Keycult No.2 Rev 1 Grey/Brass | Jane V2 CE - Black/Multicolor | J-01 Rev1 - Blue | Haus - Silver | Kohaku - Red | OwLab Jelly Epoch - Ruby SE & Popcorn | KBD8X MKII WKL - Black PC | Ayleen WKL - Gin
Caps::: GMK Modo, GMK Jamon, GMK Olive, GMK Mizu, GMK Olivia++, GMK Bingsu, GMK Analog Dreams, GMK Botanical, GMK Moondust, GMK Taro R2, GMK Hennessey, GMK Serika R2, GMK Birch, GMK Tuzi, GMK Red Alert, GMK Zooted, GMK Hazakura, GMK Cyrillic Beige, GMK Lavender, GMK Daifuku, GMK November Fog, GMK Villanelle, GMK Blossom, DCS 9009 WYSE Alps

On order: GMK Tiramisu, GMK Maroon, GMK Bordeaux, GMK Taiga

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 21:02:20 »

um, what? there are GMK sets with sculpted M keys, as in macro, like GMK serika and striker. does it really make that much of a difference to you if the keys are M0-M10 or F0-F10?

serika M keys: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/3099/8088/products/ZAMBUMON-GMK_SERIKA_2-KIT_03-MACRO_EXPANSION-LB_1024x1024@2x.png
striker M keys: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/3099/8088/products/ZAMBUMON-GMK_STRIKER_2-KIT_02-MACRO_EXPANSION-DB_1024x1024@2x.jpg

alternatively, some sets, like olivia++, had an optional sculpted "hi" kit for macro columns. i think it was like $22.

i got an J-01, zenith and tsukuyomi, and i will be using the sculpted M keys and sculpted novelties on the macro columns.

For the vast majority of sets, they don't have sculpted Macro row. I totally get what he's saying.

Offline snurrebassen

• mechanical keyboard designer and enthusiast
    • Linktree
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 16 June 2021, 05:55:28 »
every time i come back to look at this one, I get so happy i joined

Offline tonyjones

• I like big butts and I cannot lie.
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 23 August 2021, 12:24:25 »

Agreed, we are almost there!

Offline snurrebassen

• mechanical keyboard designer and enthusiast
    • Linktree
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 02:15:39 »

Agreed, we are almost there!

I can't wait to remember what color I went with  ;)

Offline Eoen

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 22 April 2022, 22:52:30 »
Any chance you would release the plate files? Would love to get a POM plate cut!