Author Topic: GON's KeyboardWorks - Questions and Answers  (Read 398289 times)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Questions and Answers
« Reply #350 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 17:08:52 »
Reflow the joints.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline GON

• * Maker
  • Skype ID : GonsKeyboardWorks
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #351 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 02:52:53 »
Hi Gon, I made an order with Nerd PCB 2.0 last week, when do you think my order will be shipped?
Thanks!

It would have been shipped now if it didn't include any parts to be CNC-machined. ;)
Even though I have made/assembled/tuned HUNDREDs of keyboards for others, I myself don't have a full-tuned Custom Keyboard now.
So Ironical!

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #352 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 04:24:52 »
Checked diodes , I can't seem to find a problem , however if It can help you to understand the problem whenever I do a contact between the points circled in red :
Show Image

Show Image

It doesn't trigger alt but spacebar while it's still configured as rAlt and lAlt on the nerdyGui .

I think you'd better check solder joints of L-ALT and R-Alt. Reinforce them with a soldering iron.

Well I worked on it today , no pictures for the moment , but I changed some of the diodes aswell as switches , still the same 5 keys not registering .

I have some solder points that are way worse than that , and they work just fine .

What pictures can I provide you so you can help me ?

Try remapping the keys - those keys may be registered as something else.

Already tried that , changed nothing

I will add Matrix data for NerD PCB tonight at http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/manuals/131-nerd-pcbs.html
If you don't find it in 5 hours, send me a mail.
I could forget it due to much work... ;(
Even though I have made/assembled/tuned HUNDREDs of keyboards for others, I myself don't have a full-tuned Custom Keyboard now.
So Ironical!

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #353 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 14:16:14 »
Checked diodes , I can't seem to find a problem , however if It can help you to understand the problem whenever I do a contact between the points circled in red :
Show Image

Show Image

It doesn't trigger alt but spacebar while it's still configured as rAlt and lAlt on the nerdyGui .

I think you'd better check solder joints of L-ALT and R-Alt. Reinforce them with a soldering iron.

Well I worked on it today , no pictures for the moment , but I changed some of the diodes aswell as switches , still the same 5 keys not registering .

I have some solder points that are way worse than that , and they work just fine .

What pictures can I provide you so you can help me ?

Try remapping the keys - those keys may be registered as something else.

Already tried that , changed nothing

http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/manuals/131-nerd-pcbs.html

I uploaded Matrix data of NerD 2.0 PCBs.
If you know how to use this information to test and fix your PCB, this will surely be a help.
If not, you'd better send your PCB to someone who can use this infor for testing&fixing your board.
So Ironical!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #354 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 13:14:32 »
Hey GON, if I buy one of your KMAC plates, is it compatible with your case? Or do I need to buy a KMAC case?

Thanks!
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #355 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 21:34:18 »
Gon,

Just saw on Massdrop some of your keyboards in the voting section there;

https://www.massdrop.com/vote/gons-keyboardworks---korean-custom-keyboards

Sorry for posting it here just in case someone has already done it but you need more people here on Geekhack to get in and start voting because this could be a real good chance for everyone to finally purchase a GON keyboard collectively and enjoy a low price tag to boot.

Cheers......

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #356 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 00:59:50 »
Gon,

Sorry for posting it here just in case someone has already done it but you need more people here on Geekhack to get in and start voting because this could be a real good chance for everyone to finally purchase a GON keyboard collectively and enjoy a low price tag to boot.

Cheers......

If I remember what I heard correctly, Massdrop already approached GON about working together and GON declined.

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #357 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 01:11:13 »
Oops I'm the one who started the poll.

I didn't know that  ;D

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #358 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 11:20:46 »
He already runs the occasional group buy here on HF and IMO the prices are fair for his customs considering the work that goes into building and designing it. Even if he put it on massdrop what kind of discount would you be expecting

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #359 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 12:00:44 »
To be honest, GON is doing a remarkable job so this poll was just about giving him publicity.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 December 2014, 12:07:22 by Lpwl »

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #360 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 09:12:07 »
Gon,

Cheers......

If I remember what I heard correctly, Massdrop already approached GON about working together and GON declined.

I don't remember contact from Massdrop. ;)
Maybe... they would have not contacted me, or the contact date is too old so I don't remember...
If the qty is big enough, why not co-working. ;)
(But even if I co-work with Massdrop, I can't offer massive assembly service... because I have only "ONE" body... lol)
So Ironical!

Offline Jason_IRL

« Reply #361 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 09:34:39 »
ooooh.
A Massdrop edition (kinda like the AKG K7XX headphones) would be really cool!

Even if it was just parts.

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #362 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 09:45:39 »
ooooh.
A Massdrop edition (kinda like the AKG K7XX headphones) would be really cool!

Even if it was just parts.

Right,
In case of co-work, it will be about "Parts" ;)
So Ironical!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #363 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 21:13:06 »
(But even if I co-work with Massdrop, I can't offer massive assembly service... because I have only "ONE" body... lol)

Totally understand, best to keep it small because how could anyone want an artist to mass produce his work for so many people?

It's like asking Donatello or Giotto to start mass production of their masterpieces for everyone out there, just can't be done when you're dealing with unique pieces of art.

Offline xybre

• clickityclackclickityclack
    • Music and Stuff
« Reply #364 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 17:30:40 »
Hey GON I placed an order on 2014-10-05, and I asked when it would be shipped on 2014-10-24. I was told "beginning of December".

I asked for an update on 2014-12-11 and got no answer. A week later I asked again on 2014-12-19 and I still haven't heard anything. I tried to add you on Skype and it just says "pending contact request".

GeekHack says you were around today (2014-12-22) so hopefully you see this.

If there's something about my order that's causing a problem, please let me know.

GON NerD 60 & Duck Eagle & Unicomp Ultra Classic & Das Keyboard Ultimate

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #365 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 18:27:41 »
Hey GON I placed an order on 2014-10-05, and I asked when it would be shipped on 2014-10-24. I was told "beginning of December".

I asked for an update on 2014-12-11 and got no answer. A week later I asked again on 2014-12-19 and I still haven't heard anything. I tried to add you on Skype and it just says "pending contact request".

If there's something about my order that's causing a problem, please let me know.

I also sent you an email about when you would ship the order placed I in October, I would appreciate a response as well. Thanks GON.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #366 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 23:37:55 »
Yea I just got my order that I ordered early october

Don't forget he was going through some manufacturing difficulties

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #367 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 00:56:08 »

I also sent you an email about when you would ship the order placed I in October, I would appreciate a response as well. Thanks GON.
GON talked to me about this issue with my order from middle of October. His CNC manufacturers machine broke down and were unable to fulfill orders for almost a month I think. This delayed a lot of stuff but he has since but in extra orders to avoid this. GON said his manufacturer is back up and running. Also he said that he made a change to the GON hhkb housing so basically he delayed mine further so that I get the updated housing. Don't fret about him flaking on you GON is just very busy!

Offline xybre

• Music and Stuff
« Reply #368 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 18:18:59 »
GON talked to me about this issue with my order from middle of October. His CNC manufacturers machine broke down and were unable to fulfill orders for almost a month I think. This delayed a lot of stuff but he has since but in extra orders to avoid this. GON said his manufacturer is back up and running. Also he said that he made a change to the GON hhkb housing so basically he delayed mine further so that I get the updated housing. Don't fret about him flaking on you GON is just very busy!

Thanks, I know GON has a very good reputation, and he's always been very responsive until now, but it makes me worry a bit. I also want to make sure my requests weren't a huge burden (he was going to do some stuff with the keyswitches for me).

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #369 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 10:10:39 »
Hi GON, i just went to purchase the limited run PCB from your site and i got this message on the payment page?

"No payment modules have been installed"

What do i do? how do i pay? you take Paypal right?

Nevermind i figured it out, sorry! apparently firefox isn't compatible on my computer.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 December 2014, 10:31:18 by Evo_Spec »
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Alternate

« Reply #370 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 02:03:47 »
Hey Gon,
I was just wondering if your Crystal MobiK keyboard supports a Tsangan style winkeyless layout like this? I really want to pick one of these up but I think I would like it even more if I could get that layout on it.
What's a sig?

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #371 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 02:16:59 »
The MobiK PCB looks like this, I don't think is supports that layout. But that would be one cool layout, something I would like too on a 40%
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline xybre

• Music and Stuff
« Reply #372 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 11:15:22 »

Thanks, I know GON has a very good reputation, and he's always been very responsive until now, but it makes me worry a bit. I also want to make sure my requests weren't a huge burden (he was going to do some stuff with the keyswitches for me).

Its been another week, and I still haven't heard anything from GON. :( Has anyone heard from him? He hasn't posted on GH since the 17th. Did something happen to him?

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #373 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 11:43:26 »

Its been another week, and I still haven't heard anything from GON. :( Has anyone heard from him? He hasn't posted on GH since the 17th. Did something happen to him?
Literally talked to him yesterday. Not sure why he isn't responding..

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #374 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 12:00:39 »

Where? I added him on Skype last night but he hasn't responded to the request yet.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #375 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 12:24:37 »

Where? I added him on Skype last night but he hasn't responded to the request yet.
Sent him a pm on geekhack but then got a hold of him on Skype.

Offline avtar

« Reply #376 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 13:31:57 »
It would be reassuring to hear about revised timelines or updates of any sort. I emailed a couple of weeks ago but haven't heard anything.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #377 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 13:57:06 »
Well the Mobik I ordered in October arrived about a week ago

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #378 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 17:05:40 »
It would be reassuring to hear about revised timelines or updates of any sort. I emailed a couple of weeks ago but haven't heard anything.

Agreed, I'm pretty worried about this.

Edit: He accepted my Skype request, never mind.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 December 2014, 17:44:09 by faceyourfaces »

Offline SeeThruHead

« Reply #379 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 17:37:49 »
Hi gon! Probably been asked before but does your NERD controller have hardware dual mode buttons. Like people are doing with TMK firmware? Stuff like mapping caps lock to control, and esc when pressed by itself would be ideal. Also being able to do things like spaceFN layout. Thanks!

Painted QFR          Poker 2

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #380 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 04:03:09 »
You can map any key to whatever you want. If you want Fn on space you map it from the NerDy GUI. Also you can configure double tap Fn (you tap twice the Fn key quickly) and Fn layer is activated. You can do whatever you want, and if you really want you can even use TMK (it has been done, but you are on your own), but I don't see why you would want that when you have the NerD firmware  :cool:

Offline SeeThruHead

« Reply #381 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 11:52:12 »
That's not really at all what I'm asking. I'm asking if it supports one key having two functions based on conditionals. I need caps lock to function as control when held down while another button is pressed, and to act as escape when another button hasn't been pressed.

For spaceFN you would hold down space and it would act as FN, but if you press and release space quickly it would act as a normal spacebar. There is some logic in there that from what I can tell most programmable pcbs do not support. Tmk firmware however can do it but I would have no idea how to flash it to gons pcb. I will look into that. Thanks.

« Last Edit: Mon, 05 January 2015, 11:58:59 by SeeThruHead »

Painted QFR          Poker 2

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #382 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 14:15:07 »
I was just wondering if anyone can tell me if any of the GON TKL cases are capable of holding a Phantom PCB?

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #383 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 14:24:57 »
I was just wondering if anyone can tell me if any of the GON TKL cases are capable of holding a Phantom PCB?

Don't think so.

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #384 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 14:34:56 »

Don't think so.

Thanks for the quick reply! :)

I suppose he could do a one-off case if he wanted, but it would probably cost a pretty penny..

Thanks anyway!

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #385 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 01:13:21 »
Anyone here from GON over the last week? Been trying to get a hold of him..

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #386 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 02:21:42 »

Probably the poor guy is busy soldering thousands of switches onto his pcb's to complete numerous keyboard orders.  Remember he is on his own with this business so that means he has to do everything by himself with no help from anyone.  You'll be lucky if you can actually receive a pm from him anytime soon due to completing all the orders.

Just be patient because he will eventually read and respond to everyone's messages, just give the guy some space until he complete's his keyboards.

Offline Soulpyre

« Reply #387 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 08:03:53 »
Try leaving a message through his website, or contact him on Skype. I've found those are the quickest ways to reach him.
TX 1800 - 62g Clears
KMAC LE - GON's Nerd PCB 62g Clears
KPAD - 62g Clears
KBT Race - Browns, Ducky Shine 4 - Browns

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #388 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 08:06:29 »

Probably the poor guy is busy soldering thousands of switches onto his pcb's to complete numerous keyboard orders.  Remember he is on his own with this business so that means he has to do everything by himself with no help from anyone.  You'll be lucky if you can actually receive a pm from him anytime soon due to completing all the orders.

Just be patient because he will eventually read and respond to everyone's messages, just give the guy some space until he complete's his keyboards.

+1 to this since he just took a bunch of orders for free SMT soldering for the DTA 2014 Limited Edition nerd TKL PCB's to make his life harder.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #389 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 09:41:45 »

+1 to this since he just took a bunch of orders for free SMT soldering for the DTA 2014 Limited Edition nerd TKL PCB's to make his life harder.
Forgot about that.. Makes so much sense now.

Offline Azumia

« Reply #390 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 23:11:53 »
Are other people still having trouble getting ahold of GON?

I have him added on Skype and I spoke with him like the day after placing my order, but I haven't been able to contact him since December 18th. I understand that he's busy, but when I drop ~$600 on a keyboard, it makes me uncomfortable to not be able to get ahold of the guy who's making it for me. :/

I've asked him several times if I could get an update on my order and have yet to receive a response at all since December 18th.
Looking for Granite Mono Legends and Icon Modifiers~ https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73646.0

Offline yobinad

« Reply #391 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 08:08:03 »
I had a chat with him, December 27th, through email.

He must be very busy right now.

I guess we have to be patiente  :D

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #392 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 10:46:25 »
Yep guys, don't worry. I think GON is very busy right now with the last TKL GB, there were a lot of orders, but everybody will get their stuff.
Building a board takes time and he is a one man show ;)
I ordered stuff a couple of times from GON and it took some time, it's normal.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #393 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 10:51:50 »
Are other people still having trouble getting ahold of GON?

I have him added on Skype and I spoke with him like the day after placing my order, but I haven't been able to contact him since December 18th. I understand that he's busy, but when I drop ~$600 on a keyboard, it makes me uncomfortable to not be able to get ahold of the guy who's making it for me. :/

I've asked him several times if I could get an update on my order and have yet to receive a response at all since December 18th.
You just placed your order so honestly he isn't going to have much of an update for you that soon.. I ordered mine mid October and I'm still waiting. He is probably swamped with smd soldering because of that special DT awards group buy.

Offline cphead

« Reply #394 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 10:41:36 »
Ordered late September. He told me 2 weeks on Oct 20, waiting for response   :)

Offline avtar

« Reply #395 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 15:56:42 »

I ordered late September as well and then the order was affected by the CNC manufacturing issues. Which is fine, unexpected stuff happens. But I haven't heard back regarding where things currently stand, if there is a new time estimate, or at the very least if all the parts for the order are with GON now.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #396 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 16:53:21 »

I ordered late September as well and then the order was affected by the CNC manufacturing issues. Which is fine, unexpected stuff happens. But I haven't heard back regarding where things currently stand, if there is a new time estimate, or at the very least if all the parts for the order are with GON now.

Last time I talked to him was 2 weeks ago at the end of December since then I don't think many people have been able to reach him. On his GH profile it says he was recently active though.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #397 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 20:40:34 »
Just spoke with him via Skype today. I'm sure he's busy with CTRLALT's GB, his own GB and Massdrops GB.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #398 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 01:57:40 »
Just spoke with him via Skype today. I'm sure he's busy with CTRLALT's GB, his own GB and Massdrops GB.
Massdrop group buy?

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #399 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 03:41:23 »
Massdrop group buy?
+1 ?
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition