Author Topic: GON's KeyboardWorks - Questions and Answers  (Read 398497 times)

Offline hojin.yi

• Winkeyless
Re: Questions and Answers
« Reply #500 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 22:10:49 »
Is shipping always around $25 minimum? Trying to order a pair of aluminum feet and shipping is more expensive than the feet o.o

Yep, winkeyless also charges a pretty high base rate for shipping to US (seeing $38 on their site.. though I remember a post saying it would be around $25-30). Pretty sure it's UPS Korea rate to the US, since that's how GON shipped to me last time.

Yes, you are right. Though I'm a winkeyless manager, I think it's too expensive to ship products form S.Korean to N.America or so. Basically I ship products through EMS which charges around $38 for 1.25kg item. 1.25kg is the minimum weight for packaging(consider enough aircaps, strong box...). But I charge shipping fee on single system ($38 to N.America/Europe, $26 to  in-Asia) and don't add extra shipping cost.
The reason to use EMS is it gives open and universal tracking system.
Anyway I have to find out some other shipping option which is not only fast and safe but also more economic. When I'm  ready, I'll post it.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #501 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 22:37:36 »
Is shipping always around $25 minimum? Trying to order a pair of aluminum feet and shipping is more expensive than the feet o.o

Yep, winkeyless also charges a pretty high base rate for shipping to US (seeing $38 on their site.. though I remember a post saying it would be around $25-30). Pretty sure it's UPS Korea rate to the US, since that's how GON shipped to me last time.

Yes, you are right. Though I'm a winkeyless manager, I think it's too expensive to ship products form S.Korean to N.America or so. Basically I ship products through EMS which charges around $38 for 1.25kg item. 1.25kg is the minimum weight for packaging(consider enough aircaps, strong box...). But I charge shipping fee on single system ($38 to N.America/Europe, $26 to  in-Asia) and don't add extra shipping cost.
Anyway I have to find out some other shipping option which is not only fast and safe but also more economic. When I'm  ready, I'll post it.
The current shipping method is fast as hell though, it took like 1 week to get from SKorea to East Coast of the States.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #502 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 23:46:14 »

The current shipping method is fast as hell though, it took like 1 week to get from SKorea to East Coast of the States.
Yup I got something from GON in 4 days... He sent it Friday and I got it Tuesday. The current method of shipping from Korea is way fast but way expensive

Offline ceflame

« Reply #503 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 00:02:45 »
Yep it's definitely fast, had something shipped on a friday and arrived on monday.

On another note, has anyone heard from GON recently? I haven't been able to contact him since January 28.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #504 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 01:00:39 »
Yep it's definitely fast, had something shipped on a friday and arrived on monday.

On another note, has anyone heard from GON recently? I haven't been able to contact him since January 28.

He sent me something over skype just the other day. He is just too busy to reply to anything these days.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #505 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 01:03:16 »

He sent me something over skype just the other day. He is just too busy to reply to anything these days.
Could you imagine if he agreed to do those builds on MD like people kept voting for?

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #506 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 02:23:49 »

Could you imagine if he agreed to do those builds on MD like people kept voting for?
I think his current work load has turned him off to that. He said the only thing he might be willing to do is a gb for parts.  But even then it's a ton of work.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #507 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 02:25:57 »

I think his current work load has turned him off to that. He said the only thing he might be willing to do is a gb for parts.  But even then it's a ton of work.
Yeah, and especially sourcing stabs and what not.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #508 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 08:45:05 »

I imagine the DTA award GB has a lot to do with how busy is is atm too.....
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #509 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 09:02:20 »
Patience is a virtue.

GON will deliver, no worries !

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
« Reply #510 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 23:35:21 »
For NerD PCBs, do the alternate layout switch mounts act as their own switch?
For example, for the two space bar positions, do all the pads for switches, diodes, LEDs, etc act as their own unit? or are they somehow linked to all corresponding parts for the alternate position making them act like the same switch or only leaves one set active?
and likewise for the other more jumbled mounts?
I only have a washable keyboard.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #511 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 02:08:49 »
For Space the two switches pads are linked, the same goes for the bottom row modifiers, they are linked. Those are only alternate positions for the same switch.
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
« Reply #512 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 20:30:02 »
For Space the two switches pads are linked, the same goes for the bottom row modifiers, they are linked. Those are only alternate positions for the same switch.
In that case, does that mean the extra LED pads could still be used? Or is there not enough power to go around.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #513 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 17:01:53 »
Do you think it would be possible to load a custom firmware onto the NerD60?

I have my own firmware for the ATmega32U4 in mind, and I am interested in trying out some backlighting tricks.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 February 2015, 13:00:00 by Findecanor »

Offline Hiroyuki

« Reply #514 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 15:50:01 »

I have my own firmware for the ATmega32U4 in mind, and I am interested in trying out some backlighting tricks.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't received my NerD yet, so I cannot confirm - but I would assume it would be possible as I expect the GoN firmware to be loaded through the USB interface. I have an AVR-debugger here somewhere, could test and see if I can get a connection somehow when I get my PCB...

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
« Reply #515 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 16:55:31 »

Thanks in advance.

I haven't received my NerD yet, so I cannot confirm - but I would assume it would be possible as I expect the GoN firmware to be loaded through the USB interface. I have an AVR-debugger here somewhere, could test and see if I can get a connection somehow when I get my PCB...
Did you only order a PCB?
I'm planning on doing that, but since Gon is swamped, I don't want to place an order and wait forever. I've been holding out waiting to see how fast he ships only PCB orders before I make the jump.

Offline Mastodon

« Reply #516 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 18:30:13 »

Thanks in advance.

I'm planning on doing that, but since Gon is swamped, I don't want to place an order and wait forever. I've been holding out waiting to see how fast he ships only PCB orders before I make the jump.

I have an order for a case, PCB and electronic components that's been placed since the 14th of November. I think all orders are currently delayed. My keycaps are going to get here before the components :(
Gon's 108, Razer Blackwidow Tournament Stealth, Planck w/ Blues

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #517 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 18:55:37 »

Thanks in advance.

I have an order for a case, PCB and electronic components that's been placed since the 14th of November. I think all orders are currently delayed. My keycaps are going to get here before the components :(
My order from October 17th has still yet to ship. 5 months and counting. I might go to PayPal soon since you only have 180 days to file a claim.

Offline Mastodon

« Reply #518 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 19:00:47 »

Thanks in advance.

My order from October 17th has still yet to ship. 5 months and counting. I might go to PayPal soon since you only have 180 days to file a claim.

That's really weird I ordered a PCB, case and components on October 18th and they shipped on the 12th of November. I've been trying to contact Gon on Skype for the past two days to ask what's up but haven't had any luck so far.

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
« Reply #519 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 20:18:48 »

Thanks in advance.

That's really weird I ordered a PCB, case and components on October 18th and they shipped on the 12th of November. I've been trying to contact Gon on Skype for the past two days to ask what's up but haven't had any luck so far.
This doesn't sound good. =(
I just want a 108 pcb with LED support and don't see another easy way of doing it.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #520 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 04:54:36 »

Thanks in advance.

Yes, it's possible to load a cust firmware, I know for sure that TMK works, one user here wrote the code for NerD60 and TKL, I think it's xauser .

Offline Hiroyuki

« Reply #521 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 06:14:22 »

Thanks in advance.

Originally I ordered only a PCB & switches (as I was planning to cut my own case), but I changed my mind and sent some message indicating that I wanted to order more stuff, however I haven't gotten a reply to that yet unfortunately. I kinda jumped the gun not knowing that Gon was up to his head in work...

Really don't like that "paid a lot of money, and no response" kinda feeling - if it weren't for Gon being talked so warmly off here on the forums I'd be really scared.

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
« Reply #522 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 06:19:36 »

Thanks in advance.

Originally I ordered only a PCB & switches (as I was planning to cut my own case), but I changed my mind and sent some message indicating that I wanted to order more stuff, however I haven't gotten a reply to that yet unfortunately. I kinda jumped the gun not knowing that Gon was up to his head in work...

Really don't like that "paid a lot of money, and no response" kinda feeling - if it weren't for Gon being talked so warmly off here on the forums I'd be really scared.
Well, I haven't even ordered and I'm already scared, especially at the thought of having to find another way of doing my 108 board

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #523 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 10:37:48 »

Thanks in advance.

Try messaging him on Skype. He always responded to me the fastest their. And yeah he's trustworthy, I wouldn't frett about not getting your order.

Offline Hiroyuki

« Reply #524 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 10:51:42 »
Try messaging him on Skype. He always responded to me the fastest their. And yeah he's trustworthy, I wouldn't frett about not getting your order.

Thanks for reassuring me, I'll try to contact him through skype one of these days :-) Always good to hear from someone with experience

Offline yobinad

« Reply #525 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 17:25:23 »
Tried to add GON on skype in last 4 days. No response yet

Placed my order on december 20th. pcb+anodized case+switches

Offline Mastodon

« Reply #526 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 18:25:07 »

Thanks in advance.

By no means was I saying he is untrustworthy. My first order with him was fantastic and he was very responsive with my needs as I, admittedly, had forgot some things from my order. As of late however it's kind of unnerving with the amount of silence. In radio_killahs situation he's been waiting nearly half a year for a board. I'm just hoping for some more communication to ease my nerves I suppose.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #527 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 20:47:21 »
I'm pretty sure he has blocked me on skype from trying to get a hold oh him lol. I really don't mean to bother him but the fact that I have about $500 on the line and the 180 day paypal timeline for filing a claim is coming up, makes me very worried.

Offline yobinad

« Reply #528 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 05:51:39 »
@radio_killah, did you pay as gift?

Offline Naweo

« Reply #529 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 09:27:20 »
He only accept pay as gift, but it takes time to process that many orders.

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #530 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 09:29:23 »
I'm pretty sure he has blocked me on skype from trying to get a hold oh him lol. I really don't mean to bother him but the fact that I have about $500 on the line and the 180 day paypal timeline for filing a claim is coming up, makes me very worried.

Are you serious about thinking he blocked you or are you just joking? Because it's been 127 days since I've ordered but I paid as a gift so it appears I would be screwed regardless.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #531 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 11:06:37 »
Guys, GON has made also his phone number public, it's also on his website, I think a call to Korea it's worth for some peace of mind :thumb:

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #532 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 12:00:50 »
No for my order I talked to him and paid the extra fees so that I could get PayPal protection. So my invoice was not a gift. But I dunno I have messaged him several times each day for the last week and have received nothing in return. Doesn't it cost a lot to call an international number though?

Offline Hiroyuki

« Reply #533 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 12:11:22 »
if you use skype to call it would cost more or less the same as a local call - I used that to call Norway when I lived in Taiwan before.

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #534 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 13:25:13 »
No for my order I talked to him and paid the extra fees so that I could get PayPal protection. So my invoice was not a gift. But I dunno I have messaged him several times each day for the last week and have received nothing in return. Doesn't it cost a lot to call an international number though?

Actually, I remember getting hit with quite a big fee from PayPal as well, but I placed the order so long ago that it's not even showing up in my history.

Offline mattycee

« Reply #535 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 16:22:07 »
Really if you guys really need to get ahold of him just make one of those messages on the order details. He responded to my questions there. He also told me he's extremely busy too.
Current: Das 4 MX Blues,  Poker II MX Clears

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #536 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 16:29:40 »
Really if you guys really need to get ahold of him just make one of those messages on the order details. He responded to my questions there. He also told me he's extremely busy too.

The thing is, is that he is spotty right now. He will occasionally respond to some people while ignoring others to get stuff done. There are times where he responded quickly and others where he has just not responded for weeks.

Offline mattycee

« Reply #537 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 20:17:23 »

The thing is, is that he is spotty right now. He will occasionally respond to some people while ignoring others to get stuff done. There are times where he responded quickly and others where he has just not responded for weeks.

well i see you asked the same question on another forum. They recommended you to just call him? Have you tried that yet?

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #538 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 20:22:08 »

well i see you asked the same question on another forum. They recommended you to just call him? Have you tried that yet?

I don't have skype credits and I would rather not call international. I mean I trust the guy since I already received a previous order but I am not sure what the hold up is on my other order, he told me twice already that he would send it out but never did.

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #539 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 20:57:31 »

I don't have skype credits and I would rather not call international. I mean I trust the guy since I already received a previous order but I am not sure what the hold up is on my other order, he told me twice already that he would send it out but never did.

Also, the keyboard was expensive enough. I'd rather not throw out more money just to get in contact with him.

Offline mattycee

« Reply #540 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 15:03:25 »

Also, the keyboard was expensive enough. I'd rather not throw out more money just to get in contact with him.

I understand that it sucks that he's not really responding. But really a few dollars (less than $10) you can contact him probably a few times before your item is shipped. If that is truly out of your range of spending then i really do not recommend you to buy anymore keyboard around the $500 range.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #541 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 15:31:19 »
I can totally spend more money on getting skype credits or whatever but why do it when I know I can contact him for free via a method I know works. The issue is still him not responding which is very possible if I do choose to spend money on skype credits to actually call him.

Offline mattycee

« Reply #542 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 16:15:59 »
I can totally spend more money on getting skype credits or whatever but why do it when I know I can contact him for free via a method I know works. The issue is still him not responding which is very possible if I do choose to spend money on skype credits to actually call him.

It may be possible but you have not tried it. Really you are just going full circles with your desire to find a solution that will get him to reply to you. If you do not want to try your only and final option of contacting him then you probably should not complain. Consider this... Email, Chats or other messaging platform will probably be stacked with a lot of questions. A phone call on the other hand is different. Have a nice day.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #543 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 16:18:17 »

It may be possible but you have not tried it. Really you are just going full circles with your desire to find a solution that will get him to reply to you. If you do not want to try your only and final option of contacting him then you probably should not complain. Consider this... Email, Chats or other messaging platform will probably be stacked with a lot of questions. A phone call on the other hand is different. Have a nice day.

Valid point.

Offline yobinad

« Reply #544 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 04:03:57 »
Spoke with GON on telephone. The delays are related with aluminium housing.
He is a gentle guy  :)

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #545 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 04:46:04 »
Spoke with GON on telephone. The delays are related with aluminium housing.
He is a gentle guy  :)

I guess that's why GON didn't yet send me my PP invoice regarding the NS NerD TKL housing (w/ NerD logo engraving) that I ordered last Thursday ;D

Offline yobinad

« Reply #546 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 05:02:50 »
He told me that cnc machining is done on older orders. Aluminium housing is ready to be anodized.

That' what i understood from our conversation

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #547 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 09:48:55 »
I spoke with him as well. It took several Skype calls but got a hold of him finally. He said I should receive a shipping notice by the end of this week and my keyboard next week.

Offline xybre

• clickityclackclickityclack
    • Music and Stuff
« Reply #548 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 10:53:28 »

Valid point.

This is pretty much where I'm at, but SK is 15 hours ahead so our overlap is minimal. It's just been close to 6 months since my order and if I'm not going to get it (and I haven't heard from him in almost 3 of those), I need to contact Paypal to dispute it before the time is up. I just want it dealt with. There's really only a handful of places to get a fully reprogrammable keyboard and its frustrating that they're all flakey in various ways.
GON NerD 60 & Duck Eagle & Unicomp Ultra Classic & Das Keyboard Ultimate

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #549 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 12:03:25 »

Valid point.

This is pretty much where I'm at, but SK is 15 hours ahead so our overlap is minimal. It's just been close to 6 months since my order and if I'm not going to get it (and I haven't heard from him in almost 3 of those), I need to contact Paypal to dispute it before the time is up. I just want it dealt with. There's really only a handful of places to get a fully reprogrammable keyboard and its frustrating that they're all flakey in various ways.

I actually called him last night via skype around 9pm PST, which was early afternoon for him. If youre profile is correct and you are in IL with central time you should be able to find an overlap.

But honestly in my opinion he is just too swamped and needs to stop taking order until he catches up. He has too much on his plate and its causing everyone headaches since everyone is worrying from his lack of response.

The thing is, he is providing a service and we are all paying for it, if he isn't giving us that service in a satisfactory manner we as his customers should let him know so that he can improve his business with our feedback. I know GON is a great guy and will eventually deliver on his orders but he has a lot of our money and if his service isn't satisfactory then people should let him know and put some pressure on him to make some changes.

For instance in my case he told me my keyboard would ship but when it didn't he didn't bother contacting me for over a week. When I finally got in contact with him last night he said that he messed up while soldering the LED's on my board and had to redo some of it. I was upset but honestly I would have understood the delay had he informed me, but he didn't which is a problem.

As for future orders, I am contacting GON first to make sure his work load is light before I order because a wait this long is just unacceptable when his site advertises 2 months plus shipping.