Author Topic: GON's KeyboardWorks - Questions and Answers  (Read 400507 times)

Offline faceyourfaces

Re: Questions and Answers
« Reply #550 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 17:05:21 »
Spoke with GON on telephone. The delays are related with aluminium housing.
He is a gentle guy  :)

I ordered a keyboard with the crystal housing and he told me that he had all the parts in the earlier part of January so I don't know how relevant this is to my delay.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #551 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 20:41:30 »

I ordered a keyboard with the crystal housing and he told me that he had all the parts in the earlier part of January so I don't know how relevant this is to my delay.

GON doesn't have any aluminum housings so i'm assuming he meant the plates getting cut which would affect your order since the crystal housing has metal plates on the top and bottom
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #552 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 21:04:59 »

GON doesn't have any aluminum housings so i'm assuming he meant the plates getting cut which would affect your order since the crystal housing has metal plates on the top and bottom

No the crystal is full polycarb. He's probably just super busy trying to keep track of everything. idk.
I love Elzy

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #553 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 21:08:49 »
No the crystal is full polycarb. He's probably just super busy trying to keep track of everything. idk.

oh right, i was thinking about the NS, not the NS crystal. thanks.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline yobinad

« Reply #554 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 02:01:49 »
I meant he had delays with cnc machining provider. Polycarbonate included i guess

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #555 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 05:23:02 »
I meant he had delays with cnc machining provider. Polycarbonate included i guess

I called him on Skype and he told me the same thing; 2-4 weeks left for my keyboard. He estimated that he has between 30 and 40 orders to get done.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #556 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 05:50:28 »

I called him on Skype and he told me the same thing; 2-4 weeks left for my keyboard. He estimated that he has between 30 and 40 orders to get done.

THIS is why the poor guy is under the weight of all your orders.  Wait for him to finish them before bothering him with your questions and disturbances.

No one likes to be bothered with insipid questions about nothing when he has to get through with idiot manufacturers about finishing the housings and whatnot.  This is what manufacturing is about, working to order when dealing with other producers and their time schedules.

PLUS also dealing with Quality and Control when he receives sometimes dodgey finished product that needs to be re-done again.  GON goes through all this so that you, the customer, gets the VERY BEST quality keyboard for your money.  I would rather have GON running this whole show then any other person  :thumb: .

If you want perfection, then it costs time hence everyone relax, take a chill pill and flick through some Hustler or Mayfair and enjoy the feeling of your new coming keyboard  8) .

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #557 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 06:50:57 »
Well said Elrick :thumb:
GON is a one man show, if any of you ever built a keyboard, SMD soldering switch tunning and on top of that quality control to make sure the product is beyond perfect than you know what kind of time consuming task is that. And put that on top of a real life and a job and do the math.
And when you invest top $$$ don't be cheap on a phone call, skype is even free.
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #558 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 07:31:59 »
Believe me, I understand how stressed GON must feel with all of these orders to fulfill and catch up to. But, from my perspective, spending over $600 (PayPal fees and shipping added up to over $70 alone) on a keyboard without any assurance that it's even being worked on is very scary. Assuming that he finishes my board around the time he expects to (he also told me that he needed only 2 more weeks to finish it, 2 months ago), I will receive my board in April, which is 6 months, or half a year, after I placed the order in October.

I don't think I'm being that unreasonable nor would I say that I'm an impatient person just for wanting to get an update on all of this. I didn't even try to get in contact with him until it was 2 weeks after the estimated lead time of 2 months. It's been over 4 months now. I ordered a Crystal TKL, which has a polycarbonate body, so I knew very well that I was paying mostly for GON's workmanship and quality of service rather than the keyboard's materials itself. I acknowledge why the delay happened and I do feel sorry for GON but you can't expect me not to be at least a little disappointed.

$623.44 is a lot of money for me. Unfortunately, no matter how many other orders he has to get to, I can't just get this off my mind.
I'm sorry.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #559 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 08:19:11 »
I understand your concerns, it's normal, we are talking about a lot of money. I had 2 orders with GON and both were delivered, and those boards are the best boards I ever had and I will never sell them.
In many ways GON is a pioneer, he is the first Korean keyboard builder, as far as I know, who opened to the "western" keyboard community. There were times when getting a Korean board was close to impossible, not to mention a custom build. You had to have connections and pay top dollar to get one, and the waiting time was huge.
I think this time GON was a little overconfident in his ability to take so many orders, but he will deliver, and when you will get your board you will see why it was worth waiting.
If you want to "buy" some peace of mind, bite the bullet and phone him, or try to call him via skype, he is a really nice guy  :thumb:

If you want to get a glimpse at the amount of work involved in a custom build watch his videos, his hand soldering skills are perfect, I've seen boards machine soldered that are far away from his boards.

One thing I learned in this hobby is that you need a lot of patience if you want something special, caps, boards, cases... It's an expensive hobby and requires a lot of patience. If you accept these things you have only nice surprises  :thumb:
For instant delivery you get only standard, non programmable (truly programmable) boards and cheap caps.. I could never go back to that  :eek:

Offline mattycee

« Reply #560 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 11:27:49 »
I understand your concerns, it's normal, we are talking about a lot of money. I had 2 orders with GON and both were delivered, and those boards are the best boards I ever had and I will never sell them.
In many ways GON is a pioneer, he is the first Korean keyboard builder, as far as I know, who opened to the "western" keyboard community. There were times when getting a Korean board was close to impossible, not to mention a custom build. You had to have connections and pay top dollar to get one, and the waiting time was huge.
I think this time GON was a little overconfident in his ability to take so many orders, but he will deliver, and when you will get your board you will see why it was worth waiting.
If you want to "buy" some peace of mind, bite the bullet and phone him, or try to call him via skype, he is a really nice guy  :thumb:

If you want to get a glimpse at the amount of work involved in a custom build watch his videos, his hand soldering skills are perfect, I've seen boards machine soldered that are far away from his boards.

One thing I learned in this hobby is that you need a lot of patience if you want something special, caps, boards, cases... It's an expensive hobby and requires a lot of patience. If you accept these things you have only nice surprises  :thumb:
For instant delivery you get only standard, non programmable (truly programmable) boards and cheap caps.. I could never go back to that  :eek:

Well written! :thumb:
Current: Das 4 MX Blues,  Poker II MX Clears

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #561 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 11:55:26 »
Honestly I am starting to get sick that of the "oh he is totally good for it, don't get your panties in a bunch, just keep waiting" attitude. Not to take a slight at anyone but this sentiment is so pervasive and annoying... GON is providing us a service, and we pay high prices for it. I get that it is custom stuff and takes a while. However he is running behind almost 4 months on orders and that is unacceptable. Yes I know GON will eventually deliver on all his orders but this attitude of just letting him get the benefit of the doubt is just wrong.

He has thousands of our hard earned dollars and we just get told to wait. No that is not cool. He is providing a service and that service should include updates. We are paying a stranger in Korea, from a site most of us have been on for less than a year, a lot of money so it is completely normal to be worried with you have no idea what has been going on for 4+ months while waiting for your order which was advertised to be done in 2 months.

The community gives too much leniency to stuff like this and honestly we should all be giving GON our criticism and feedback so that he can improve his business. In my opinion people, doing GB's and assembly work should be more like bunny and billnye who were great at giving feedback every couple of days even when nothing was happening. They were not perfect but they are at least a great example. It is so annoying that just because we like GON and think is stuff is great that we just give him a pass to be late on delivering tons of product to his customers.

As I understand it he has had lots of issues in the past with his CNC manufacturer and that has held up a lot of orders. That is totally understandable. However he should let us know of that issue. We shouldn't say sorry for bothering GON, we shouldn't say sorry for wondering where our orders are, we shouldn't have to say sorry for trying to get customer service from him. I am a huge fan of GON and even though he has disappointed me with his lack of updates and false shipping dates, I will still support him.

Sorry about the rant. The thing is we shouldn't feel sorry for getting upset, and this doesn't just apply to GON. This applies to all the people offering services and products on GH. This isn't our fault, we give them our money in exchange for goods and a service. We fulfilled our end of the transaction by giving them money so it is only fair to wonder where our product is when it is late and overdue.

« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2015, 11:59:09 by radio_killah »

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #562 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 12:31:25 »
Honestly I am starting to get sick that of the "oh he is totally good for it, don't get your panties in a bunch, just keep waiting" attitude. Not to take a slight at anyone but this sentiment is so pervasive and annoying... GON is providing us a service, and we pay high prices for it. I get that it is custom stuff and takes a while. However he is running behind almost 4 months on orders and that is unacceptable. Yes I know GON will eventually deliver on all his orders but this attitude of just letting him get the benefit of the doubt is just wrong.

He has thousands of our hard earned dollars and we just get told to wait. No that is not cool. He is providing a service and that service should include updates. We are paying a stranger in Korea, from a site most of us have been on for less than a year, a lot of money so it is completely normal to be worried with you have no idea what has been going on for 4+ months while waiting for your order which was advertised to be done in 2 months.

The community gives too much leniency to stuff like this and honestly we should all be giving GON our criticism and feedback so that he can improve his business. In my opinion people, doing GB's and assembly work should be more like bunny and billnye who were great at giving feedback every couple of days even when nothing was happening. They were not perfect but they are at least a great example. It is so annoying that just because we like GON and think is stuff is great that we just give him a pass to be late on delivering tons of product to his customers.

As I understand it he has had lots of issues in the past with his CNC manufacturer and that has held up a lot of orders. That is totally understandable. However he should let us know of that issue. We shouldn't say sorry for bothering GON, we shouldn't say sorry for wondering where our orders are, we shouldn't have to say sorry for trying to get customer service from him. I am a huge fan of GON and even though he has disappointed me with his lack of updates and false shipping dates, I will still support him.

Sorry about the rant. The thing is we shouldn't feel sorry for getting upset, and this doesn't just apply to GON. This applies to all the people offering services and products on GH. This isn't our fault, we give them our money in exchange for goods and a service. We fulfilled our end of the transaction by giving them money so it is only fair to wonder where our product is when it is late and overdue.

I appreciate you taking the time to write this out. You pretty much put my thoughts into words. GON seems like a nice guy, but if he is not meeting the expectations of his very expensive service, there's no reason to act like everything is okay.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #563 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 18:55:30 »

By all respects you didn't fulfill your end of the contract at all.  Why you might ask BECAUSE building something from scratch takes TIME. 

Sitting on your arse and getting all nasty won't make the item come any faster to your front door.  In the world of cars spending $340,000USD on a Bentley Brooklands Coupe means you HAVE TO WAIT at least 18 months for delivery.  Now according to you they should have the car ready for you to drive away but not when YOU insist on having it customized to your own specific needs.

Everything takes time, if you do not want to wait then set up your tent in the classifieds and harass someone else to sell it to you.  Don't waste time in Group Buys or pretend you know what it's like since you just keep b1tching about yourself not getting what you want.

Harden up and shut the FVCK up for once  >:D .

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #564 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 19:48:43 »

By all respects you didn't fulfill your end of the contract at all.  Why you might ask BECAUSE building something from scratch takes TIME. 

Sitting on your arse and getting all nasty won't make the item come any faster to your front door.  In the world of cars spending $340,000USD on a Bentley Brooklands Coupe means you HAVE TO WAIT at least 18 months for delivery.  Now according to you they should have the car ready for you to drive away but not when YOU insist on having it customized to your own specific needs.

Everything takes time, if you do not want to wait then set up your tent in the classifieds and harass someone else to sell it to you.  Don't waste time in Group Buys or pretend you know what it's like since you just keep b1tching about yourself not getting what you want.

How have I not fulfilled it? I have wait more than twice the advertised lead time. I am at 5 months and counting.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2015, 19:52:03 by radio_killah »

Offline mattycee

« Reply #565 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 22:44:58 »

How have I not fulfilled it? I have wait more than twice the advertised lead time. I am at 5 months and counting.

to be honest it said estimate. There was never a hard date set by gon.

Offline cphead

« Reply #566 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 23:29:21 »
Patiently waiting for September order (: Wish there was update.

Offline Azumia

« Reply #567 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 03:54:53 »

I pretty much just want to second this. I think GON's work is incredible, but this is frustrating as hell.

It's like going to an amazing restaurant and being told that the wait time to be seated is one hour. Two hours later, you still haven't been seated. You know the restaurant has incredible food and that the wait will totally be worth it, but that doesn't change the fact that you've waited long past the estimate and now you're just hungry and crabby because no one is telling you what is going on.

No one should have to go so far out of their way to contact GON. I understand he's CRAZY BUSY, but after how much we all paid, if he just came on once a week or whatever and posted and was like 'hey guys, here's what's up with your orders', I'd be a lot more calm than I am right now. It's like I said a few pages back, I custom ordered my new car and I had to wait two months to get it, but the dealer sent me updates like once a week on where it was in the build process.

I just want to know what's going on without having to hear it from someone else and without having to jump through hoops to contact GON. Those of us who are complaining just want some customer service and peace of mind. He seems like a cool guy and I know he's working hard, but I think all of us would feel better if he took five minutes a week to just come on here and give everyone an update.
Looking for Granite Mono Legends and Icon Modifiers~ https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73646.0

Offline eten

« Reply #568 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 13:41:52 »

to be honest it said estimate. There was never a hard date set by gon.

Then why provide estimates when they are so far off? I can accept 10-20% variance, but if he's waiting over double the advertised time, that's just not acceptable without some sort of communication to each individual customer privately. All it takes is a 2 liner e-mail to each customer and they won't bother you for two weeks. If you cannot even afford time to do this, you have to revisit your planning/forecasting model, either temporarily stop new orders or expand your staff.

I get that he's an one man army and provides quality work, but this isn't the way you run a business. We are the customer here and we expect responses for any inquiries we have towards our order.

Again, I'm not questioning the quality of his work. To me, this is like going to a restaurant with top notch food, but everything else about it sucks; the service, the atmosphere, the experience etc.

Offline limster

« Reply #569 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 00:16:07 »

He seems like a cool guy and I know he's working hard, but I think all of us would feel better if he took five minutes a week to just come on here and give everyone an update.

trying not to pile on, I agree that we all (including GON) would be better served if a small amount of effort was spent to mitigate the demand, and at least warn anyone ordering on the site of the delay. Or even take ordering offline for a little while.

I guess as of now, we are the only ones that can warn and set expectations for potential new demand.

P.S. As a former freelancer, I know what it's like to find yourself overwhelmed, and feeling like you don't even have time to communicate; but being aware of, and honest about your limits is the best outcome, no matter what.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #570 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 01:22:06 »
trying not to pile on, I agree that we all (including GON) would be better served if a small amount of effort was spent to mitigate the demand, and at least warn anyone ordering on the site of the delay. Or even take ordering offline for a little while.

My first GON keyboard took around eight months before it was completed and sent to me here in Crapland.

The Second keyboard took almost six months before it was delivered to my address as well.  Don't understand why everyone here is so pissed off in waiting, he will finish your keyboard(s) and send them off to you when he's ready.

You young ones don't know the meaning of time because you are use to everything being handed over to you in a second, once you hand over your money.  Things like keyboards that are built from scratch, will always take the longest time especially when there are at least 40 other keyboards ahead of your order being completed, as we speak here on Geekhack.

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
« Reply #571 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 04:34:46 »

My first GON keyboard took around eight months before it was completed and sent to me here in Crapland.

The Second keyboard took almost six months before it was delivered to my address as well.  Don't understand why everyone here is so pissed off in waiting, he will finish your keyboard(s) and send them off to you when he's ready.

You young ones don't know the meaning of time because you are use to everything being handed over to you in a second, once you hand over your money.  Things like keyboards that are built from scratch, will always take the longest time especially when there are at least 40 other keyboards ahead of your order being completed, as we speak here on Geekhack.

I think people here are unhappy about business ethics rather than being impatient.
I'm sure nobody would complain if the lead time was advertised as 8 months and there was proper communication at the end of said amount of time.
I only have a washable keyboard.

Offline magically

« Reply #572 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 06:52:11 »

I pretty much just want to second this. I think GON's work is incredible, but this is frustrating as hell.

It's like going to an amazing restaurant and being told that the wait time to be seated is one hour. Two hours later, you still haven't been seated. You know the restaurant has incredible food and that the wait will totally be worth it, but that doesn't change the fact that you've waited long past the estimate and now you're just hungry and crabby because no one is telling you what is going on.

No one should have to go so far out of their way to contact GON. I understand he's CRAZY BUSY, but after how much we all paid, if he just came on once a week or whatever and posted and was like 'hey guys, here's what's up with your orders', I'd be a lot more calm than I am right now. It's like I said a few pages back, I custom ordered my new car and I had to wait two months to get it, but the dealer sent me updates like once a week on where it was in the build process.

I just want to know what's going on without having to hear it from someone else and without having to jump through hoops to contact GON. Those of us who are complaining just want some customer service and peace of mind. He seems like a cool guy and I know he's working hard, but I think all of us would feel better if he took five minutes a week to just come on here and give everyone an update.

Third this. At least reply on Skype: really busy will get back to u...

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #573 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 06:55:32 »
I think people here are unhappy about business ethics rather than being impatient.
I'm sure nobody would complain if the lead time was advertised as 8 months and there was proper communication at the end of said amount of time.

What are you talking about "Business Ethics"?  For christ sake he works on his own, all by himself, meaning that he actually constructs these keyboards by himself.  Now if you can count up to 40 then you will know that a single person building 40 keyboards wouldn't take one week to build them all.....right?

Ask yourself how long would you take to build ONE keyboard from scratch?  Now times that 40 times over hence that will take time, you see that wasn't very hard to figure out that your keyboard will take up to 8 months to complete.  You don't need to be an einstein here to work out that these keyboards will take time, so please pull you heads out of your arses when you start accusing someone of having so-called 'bad business' ethics, since it's the ignorant buyer who never bothered asking about how long these keyboards take to build.

Very clear to see here we have morons who never bothered to do basic research and then making idiot assumptions that their keyboards will be shipped to them 2 weeks later after handing over the money.  You lot deserve the Moronic Prize of Extreme Ignorance and Stupidity.  How dare you start accusing GON of letting you down when you have literally crapped all over him for no reason.  If you can't wait for a keyboard then FVCK the HELL OFF to somewhere else......Idiots  8) .

You lot here should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves, flinging stupid accusations upon someone who is actually building your keyboards, how dumb could you get?  Never knew how some people here want someone to hold their hands for them and be told daily what is going on.  You should ask him to change your nappies as well because this is a first for me seeing such nasty individuals who do nothing but accuse someone else of duplicitous behaviour.

Imsto and Qtan operate the same way when it comes to buying anything off their websites.  Not all people here operate as BunnyLake holding your hands and making you feel confident in your own existence, time to grow up here and learn how to wait like everyone else in this world today.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 March 2015, 07:30:47 by Elrick »

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #574 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 08:23:56 »
+1 Elrick :thumb: I've been telling them the same thing. Maybe this is why in the past Korean keyboard artisans were reluctant to open to the western community, their way of doing things is different.
In way it's the same as with Claks and Bro Caps, these are pieces of art and not mass produced objects, it's not your average business. Each board is unique, there will not be 2 identical, this is something that you will keep all your life, I know GON even signs some of the highly customized boards.
Try not to compare an order on GON's site with one on Amazon.
I ordered twice, each time it was only a PCB and plate, not even a full board because I don afford that, and each time it took ~3 months, and there was only soldering involved noting custom. There were a lot of money for me, had to sell a lot of things to get the funds, but all the waiting was well worth :cool:

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #575 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 16:16:14 »
I think people here are unhappy about business ethics rather than being impatient. [...]
Business Ethics - Investopedia:
DEFINITION OF 'BUSINESS ETHICS'
The study of proper business policies and practices regarding potentially controversial issues, such as corporate governance, insider trading, bribery, discrimination, corporate social responsibility and fiduciary responsibilities. Business ethics are often guided by law, while other times provide a basic framework that businesses may choose to follow in order to gain public acceptance.
While Elrick voices it a bit harsh he is not entirely wrong. Accusing GON of bad 'business ethics' is not only wrong but even slightly malignant. Nowhere in your stories do I see any of the illegal things above.

The word you are looking for is 'Lack of communication'.

Which you have every right to be btw. But as Elrick has already mentioned, having someone else build your board when he is doing many others at the same time takes a few months.
Even my Orion, which was built by Margon, took close to 5 months from start to finish. And Margon later ran into trouble because the workload was too high.
You handed over your money to an artisan keyboard builder. It is done when it is done. Don't push it because it will only frustrate both you and the builder without accomplishing anything.

Perhaps GON should shut down orders for now but it is very difficult to predict months ahead when you will run into trouble.
Companies can calculate it and even those often run into bottlenecks or sudden delays.

And the general rule in business is:
If it is important, call someone. E-mail/PM can and will be ignored.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 March 2015, 16:18:44 by JaccoW »
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline jaemzp

« Reply #576 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 18:02:25 »
Avoiding all the drama here... Would anyone happen to know the dimensions/size of the screws used in GONs keyboards? Specifically for his his acrylic case (or does he use a universal size?). Looking to change it up a bit when I eventually get mine. Thanks!

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #577 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 02:58:33 »
Avoiding all the drama here... Would anyone happen to know the dimensions/size of the screws used in GONs keyboards? Specifically for his his acrylic case (or does he use a universal size?). Looking to change it up a bit when I eventually get mine. Thanks!
Well, he offers M3 x 12mm bolts on his website for the NS GONPAD, NS NerD 60/HHKB, NS NerD TKL and NS NerD 108. But it also mentions that the Acrylic Housings are not compatible. So... IDK. :/
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #578 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 12:14:18 »
There really is no need to be using inflammatory remarks at other users Elrick.. People are just venting their frustrations and there is nothing wrong with that.

I do agree that "business ethics" was very a poor choice in words, a lack of communication is a much better descriptor for this situation. I also do agree that everyone should realize that these are custom items that take time. However at the same time, there should be at the minimum a comfortable level of communication between the buyer and the creator. I think that is fair and that is what people are asking for. Is every day unreasonable? Yes. Is once a month? No.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #579 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 15:27:42 »
Wow, useful Q&A thread degenerated to "I want my order NOW" thread.  :confused:
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #580 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 16:23:34 »

welcome to geekhack
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline jaemzp

« Reply #581 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 20:50:26 »
Well, he offers M3 x 12mm bolts on his website for the NS GONPAD, NS NerD 60/HHKB, NS NerD TKL and NS NerD 108. But it also mentions that the Acrylic Housings are not compatible. So... IDK. :/

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll keep that size in mind but I'll probably have to wait until I receive them from GON or contact him directly to be sure.

Offline mattycee

« Reply #582 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 20:53:45 »

Yea..... I think this thread is called Q/A..... but some people just cannot stop themselves....... I think those individual should make a new thread.   :rolleyes:

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
« Reply #583 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 02:27:08 »
I might have misused the term "business ethics."
But what do you call misusing estimated lead times on top of no communication?

Sure its estimated and can be wrong, but nobody, including Gon, thinks the lead time is actually two months right now.
If he doesn't think so, then why is it okay for him to advertise it at his estimate?
If he know's it isn't true and he's taking orders from people on his site, without changing or letting them know beforehand, then I can go as far as saying he is lying.
We have people here that even contacted him multiple times and he said he was shipping their order very soon, only for it to not be true. Is that not lying?

It also really doesn't help for him to let his loyal elitist customers put his already unhappy customers in their rightful place for him.

Offline mattycee

« Reply #584 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 02:50:05 »

Sure its estimated and can be wrong, but nobody, including Gon, thinks the lead time is actually two months right now.
If he doesn't think so, then why is it okay for him to advertise it at his estimate?
If he know's it isn't true and he's taking orders from people on his site, without changing or letting them know beforehand, then I can go as far as saying he is lying.
We have people here that even contacted him multiple times and he said he was shipping their order very soon, only for it to not be true. Is that not lying?

It also really doesn't help for him to let his loyal elitist customers put his already unhappy customers in their rightful place for him.

Bro get out of this thread and go make your own little angry thread. This is a Q&A thread for helping people that have questions. GO FLAME SOMEWHERE ELSE. Reported.

Offline vindaon

« Reply #585 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 14:18:33 »
Are the delays mainly for custom builds or are they for all orders on his site?

Wanting to buy some springs.

Offline mattycee

« Reply #586 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 14:36:08 »

I believe its for the whole site. I read people were still waiting for pcb parts and stuff. Might be better to ask Gon directly

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #587 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 20:41:04 »

I believe its for the whole site. I read people were still waiting for pcb parts and stuff. Might be better to ask Gon directly

When I talked to him yesterday he said the delay is due to old orders.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
« Reply #588 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 04:55:15 »

Bro get out of this thread and go make your own little angry thread. This is a Q&A thread for helping people that have questions. GO FLAME SOMEWHERE ELSE. Reported.
Believe it or not, I asked about the current lead time and these are the answers I got.
If you think I am flaming, then you are reading everything wrong. I and anyone that gave me an answer are the ones being flamed.
If you haven't realized, I haven't even got the chance to buy something from Gon and be angry about it yet.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 March 2015, 04:58:11 by StinkyTheDonut »

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #589 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 10:04:01 »
Has anyone heard from GON lately? I've tried to ask him about his 60% plate, but it's been over a week and I haven't heard anything from his Skype or emails. Perhaps something is going on?

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #590 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 10:53:41 »
Has anyone heard from GON lately? I've tried to ask him about his 60% plate, but it's been over a week and I haven't heard anything from his Skype or emails. Perhaps something is going on?

There is nothing wrong with him  :thumb:, BunnyLake spoke with GON a few days ago and so did also other users. Check here https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69525.0

Offline mattycee

« Reply #591 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 13:06:25 »

Believe it or not, I asked about the current lead time and these are the answers I got.
If you think I am flaming, then you are reading everything wrong. I and anyone that gave me an answer are the ones being flamed.
If you haven't realized, I haven't even got the chance to buy something from Gon and be angry about it yet.

Really? you should just leave this thread. You contribute nothing. Complaining about business ethics. Please go away.

"It also really doesn't help for him to let his loyal elitist customers put his already unhappy customers in their rightful place for him."  <-  this is you. Complaining? asking question? which one.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #592 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 16:43:21 »

Really? you should just leave this thread. You contribute nothing. Complaining about business ethics. Please go away.

"It also really doesn't help for him to let his loyal elitist customers put his already unhappy customers in their rightful place for him."  <-  this is you. Complaining? asking question? which one.

Okay we get it, no need to attack the guy. Let's just stop responding to these off topic remarks and make this a Q&A thread again. We all understand that GON is busy and we just need to cope with it. There is literally nothing we can do but wait and try and contact him. (Myself included)

Offline mattycee

« Reply #593 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 16:47:41 »

Okay we get it, no need to attack the guy. Let's just stop responding to these off topic remarks and make this a Q&A thread again. We all understand that GON is busy and we just need to cope with it. There is literally nothing we can do but wait and try and contact him. (Myself included)

No ones getting attacked. Facts are facts. I answered your question telling you to call in and all this flaming started to happen on a Q&A forum by you and that other individual. Now back to Q&A after clarifying that.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #594 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 20:14:50 »
Okay, back to Q&A.

Question: what can I do to make GON ship my order faster?

Answer: Leave him alone so he can work.
I'm back.

Offline Battou62

« Reply #595 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 10:00:34 »
Hey guys. I am not sure if this has been answered or not. Does  anyone know if it is possible to reduce the usb polling rate on the nerd pcb? Also is it possible to modify the pcb so that you can use the keyboard to enter the computers bios?

I was able to reach GON on skype and got some answers to my questions. I will post the info here.

is it possible to reduce the polling rate on the nerd pcbs?
GON: no its fixed to 1000Hz ;)

I also can not enter the computer bios using the keyboard w/ nerd pcb.
GON: Turn it into 6KRO mode. ;)
GON: Fn1+U by default

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #596 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 10:13:21 »
Hey guys. I am not sure if this has been answered or not. Does  anyone know if it is possible to reduce the usb polling rate on the nerd pcb? Also is it possible to modify the pcb so that you can use the keyboard to enter the computers bios?

I was able to reach GON on skype and got some answers to my questions. I will post the info here.

is it possible to reduce the polling rate on the nerd pcbs?
GON: no its fixed to 1000Hz ;)

I also can not enter the computer bios using the keyboard w/ nerd pcb.
GON: Turn it into 6KRO mode. ;)
GON: Fn1+U by default

That's some seriously useful info.  Thanks for posting this!
I'm back.

Offline Yazzz

• rm -rf /*
« Reply #597 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 14:34:43 »
Does anyone know if a Poker II PCB will fit  the GON NS NerD Crystal 60? Without much modding if possible.
Leopold Full Size -- Blue Cherry MX
Keycool 87 Key -- Yellow LED Backlit -- Blue Cherry MX
Poker II -- Blue Cherry MX
CM QFR -- Green Cherry MX
I really like Blues it seems. :D

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #598 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 14:42:37 »

Does anyone know if a Poker II PCB will fit  the GON NS NerD Crystal 60? Without much modding if possible.

I forget, does the Poker 2 have the dip switches on the bottom?
I'm back.

Offline KnivesM

« Reply #599 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 15:04:38 »

I forget, does the Poker 2 have the dip switches on the bottom?
Yea, it has a set of 4 dipswitches on the bottom
[WTT] Bros | HWS | Nightcaps [WTTF] Bros | KBK/KWK | CC

LZ-FE                 Kpad           Poker II                   Leopold 980M          TGR Tris       TGR-Jane   
72g Vintage Blacks      Blacks            Blues                        Silent Pinks                Coming Soon™

Others
More
Leopold 750RT - Reds, Smart68 Coming Soon™, Steelseries 6Gv2 - Reds