Author Topic: [IC] The “Oreo Skully” Keycaps for 60% ANSI Keyboards. From the “Worn & Washed” collection.  (Read 3928 times)

Offline Jattic

Hello, I am working on releasing the first drop from my Hardware company Vintek. I am pretty new to this but, I am making some of the most creative keycaps and keyboards inspired by vintage styles & more! Please give feedback, suggestions, and join the Vintek discord https://discord.gg/bZ9u5E3u. It’s the best way to keep up with me and the project!

Profile: OEM
Vendors: TBD
Release: TBD
Material: PBT

Offline Rafa_n

reseved

what vintage style was this inspired by?

Offline Jattic

Worn & Washed skater aesthetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 March 2022, 04:09:20 by Jattic »

Offline Neely_12

Why does it only support one single layout. Like not even all of the 60% layouts just regular 60%. If you're selling it like this I don't expect the price to be above 5$

Offline Jattic

This is my first time doing this so I plan to improve and implement suggestions along the way! Thank you for the feedback!

Offline Jattic

Would you guys rather a whole keyboard?

Offline hottnucks

Yea, please tell us the features and specifications of the keyboard.

Offline Baka Bot

I prefer only half a keyboard.

Offline Jattic

What I have in mind is a Hot-swappable board. Preferably 60 to 65%. RGB, macros, wireless etc. Please feel free to make any suggestions. All suggestions can be possibly implemented.

Offline Jattic

Yea, please tell us the features and specifications of the keyboard.
What I have in mind is a Hot-swappable board. Preferably 60 to 65%. RGB, macros, wireless etc. Please feel free to make any suggestions. All suggestions can be possibly implemented.

Offline iinko_mk

i prefer this layout
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110839.0][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/GKL0Jxi.png[/img][/url]

Offline Neely_12

This is my first time doing this so I plan to improve and implement suggestions along the way! Thank you for the feedback!

I would suggest looking at other keycap ICs to see how they make a kit. Would prefer something a lot more expansive. Glad to see you are taking feedback instead of just making the product anyways.

Offline Jattic

i prefer this layout
Show Image

That’s the ISO layout correct? I chose ANSI because I know it’s more widely used. I will keep this in mind.

Offline iinko_mk

i prefer this layout
Show Image

That’s the ISO layout correct? I chose ANSI because I know it’s more widely used. I will keep this in mind.

no, a singular iso key
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110839.0][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/GKL0Jxi.png[/img][/url]

Offline Jattic

I would suggest looking at other keycap ICs to see how they make a kit. Would prefer something a lot more expansive. Glad to see you are taking feedback instead of just making the product anyways.
Yeah this is long term for me. Eventually I want to have in stock items as well so, learning along the way is important. Thank you for taking interest! I will probably make a 60% board with these keycaps.

« Last Edit: Sun, 13 March 2022, 23:59:01 by Jattic »

Offline nevin

you're on the right track for a great little niche.
ortho, ergo & split boards usually have trouble getting legends to match, so we typically go with blank keycaps.
your all over dyesub set is what i've been looking for (though with a couple of changes).

what i think would work, would be a "designed" blank keycap set. something more interesting than one color blank keycaps but no legends and enough keys to cover most any split / ortho / ergo board.
- all over dyesub design (again, no legends anywhere)
- cherry profile preferred over oem (if possible)
- thick pbt blanks for printing (more important than cherry vs oem)
- most "ortho keycap sets" usually only cover 5x12 (at most), i would extend this to cover 5x14. there are larger ortho sets but they usually have legends and are uniform profile.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline Jattic

you're on the right track for a great little niche.
ortho, ergo & split boards usually have trouble getting legends to match, so we typically go with blank keycaps.
your all over dyesub set is what i've been looking for (though with a couple of changes).

what i think would work, would be a "designed" blank keycap set. something more interesting than one color blank keycaps but no legends and enough keys to cover most any split / ortho / ergo board.
- all over dyesub design (again, no legends anywhere)
- cherry profile preferred over oem (if possible)
- thick pbt blanks for printing (more important than cherry vs oem)
- most "ortho keycap sets" usually only cover 5x12 (at most), i would extend this to cover 5x14. there are larger ortho sets but they usually have legends and are uniform profile.
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I considered making them blank originally but, I also didn’t want to leave out the people who might want legends to help type. Either Cherry or OEM keycaps can definitely be done. And good thickness is achievable as well. Would you rather a more expansive keycap set of this design or prefer a keyboard to go with the set? That’s what I’m mainly trying to figure out moving forward.

Offline ZavaZ86

You have not even made the bare minimum effort for this, please leave and dont come back, gates are closed.

Offline nevin

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I considered making them blank originally but, I also didn’t want to leave out the people who might want legends to help type. Either Cherry or OEM keycaps can definitely be done. And good thickness is achievable as well. Would you rather a more expansive keycap set of this design or prefer a keyboard to go with the set? That’s what I’m mainly trying to figure out moving forward.

just caps. there are sooo many 60 & 65% boards out there, it's hard not to trip over them.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline Pyroo

no thank you. gates closed byebye
Bunny enthusiast

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)

Offline Fraaaan

You would have a hard time convincing an actual keyboard enthusiast to buy this. It will either be pad printed, laser etched or reverse dyesubbed which are all pretty bad methods of printing caps, the kitting is embarrassing and the spacebar and escape are not even a part of the keyset, they're just your company name and logo.

Why would you put the name of your company on the spacebar instead of having a complete design throughout the keyset? It looks disgustingly out of place and ruins the whole keyset imo.

There is a reason no modern enthusiast grade keysets are kitted like this. Offering a 60% kit that only comes with a 6.25u bottom row and ANSI is pretty disappointing. I'm confident that over half of the people (not just here; everywhere) who check this keyset out won't be able to use it on their keyboard because of how limited the kitting is. Consider a base kit that supports 7u bottom row, ANSI and ISO, TKL and 65%.

Make it better and try again. You're getting beat by $20 Chinese sets. Gates are closed.

Offline Jattic

You would have a hard time convincing an actual keyboard enthusiast to buy this. It will either be pad printed, laser etched or reverse dyesubbed which are all pretty bad methods of printing caps, the kitting is embarrassing and the spacebar and escape are not even a part of the keyset, they're just your company name and logo.

Why would you put the name of your company on the spacebar instead of having a complete design throughout the keyset? It looks disgustingly out of place and ruins the whole keyset imo.

There is a reason no modern enthusiast grade keysets are kitted like this. Offering a 60% kit that only comes with a 6.25u bottom row and ANSI is pretty disappointing. I'm confident that over half of the people (not just here; everywhere) who check this keyset out won't be able to use it on their keyboard because of how limited the kitting is. Consider a base kit that supports 7u bottom row, ANSI and ISO, TKL and 65%.

Make it better and try again. You're getting beat by $20 Chinese sets. Gates are closed.
Name on spacebar? That’s my design. 2nd this is a test run. Learning process for me. Thank you for your time & feedback .