Author Topic: Topre's varied resistance ok for "odd" typers?  (Read 3152 times)

Offline blakespot

• My (modest) keyboard gallery
Topre's varied resistance ok for "odd" typers?
« on: Thu, 04 August 2011, 17:25:29 »
I was using a Matias Tactile Pro rev 1 for years and just moved to a Das Keyboard w/ Cherry MX blues, after seeing a friend's that I really liked (though he had browns).

I really like what I'm seeing as far as videos demonstrating the Topre switches, RealForce in particular. I am considering jumping over to a Topre board, but am concerned by the varying resistance across the keyboard (35, 45, 55), as I do not type "properly." I use most fingers on my left hand but only my index finger on my right hand. I type fast, faster than most "proper" typers, but I wonder if the keyboard will feel uneven to me, given that my typing habits are not foreseen by the designers.

Is this a valid concern?

I see that there is an all 55g RealForce, but it's out of stock and maybe it's not for me anyway.

Thoughts? Thanks.

bp
:: Leopold FC660C (x2), FC660M (browns), Realforce 87U, Das Keyboard (blues), Matias Tactile Pro (v1), HHKBL2, Matias Quiet Pro, Unicomp Classic 101, Focus FK-2001, Corsair Vengeance K65 (reds), Steelseries Apex 7 TKL ("browns")
:: Modest photo gallery of my keyboards

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 04 August 2011, 17:38:18 »
Quote from: blakespot;393128
but am concerned by the varying resistance across the keyboard (35, 45, 55), as I do not type "properly."

I'm a "even" typer and I own both a variable and a all 55g. I prefer all 55g mainly because the light switches on the variable are too light for my taste.

I suspect if you use the same finger for Q and F then you will likely find the difference even more anoying.

You are probably a good candidate for the all 55g.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline RiGS

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 04 August 2011, 17:44:51 »
I suspect if you use the same finger for Q and F then you will likely have wrist issues.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline MrGPhantome

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 August 2011, 21:41:54 »
I type kinda f'ed up on my right hand as well. I don't have any issues with the variable key weights. Most of the keys on the right side are actually the lighter 40/30g variation so you probably wouldn't notice it as much anyways.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 August 2011, 21:45:25 by MrGPhantome »
"It\'s true what they say... If you dress Hitler up in a nice sweater... He\'s still f****** Adolf Hitler." - Cinema Snob

Offline Crazy9000

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 05 August 2011, 00:40:59 »
EK said they were getting some more models in so I'd wait and see what they are. If you don't type properly you will loose any benefit from the variable weighting, so might as well get a uniform board if you can.
[sigpic]http://geekhack.org/signaturepics/sigpic5090_2.gif[/sigpic]

Offline jayfinger

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 05 August 2011, 11:05:48 »
I touch type more or less properly.  I've had a variable weight topre for a few weeks and I love it.  I took to the variable weight instantly.  I couple of times I have found the repeated ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; while resting, but I got used to that.  And the keyboard is such a joy to use that I don't care anyhow.

I think the only person who is going to be able to answer that question is you.  From what you describe of your typing, your left hand might be completely happy with the variable, and your right hand might find it weird.

I did have the luxury of being able to try out a 55g keyboard before buying.  I thought it was too heavy.  Which I guess just tells me that if I ever buy cherry to get reds instead of blacks.

You might also consider a HHKB.  They use Topre switches, but I think are 45g instead of 55g.  Whether the layout works for you is up to you.

Good luck in your decision!

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 05 August 2011, 11:13:20 »
I had an 86u for a few months before I sold it recently.  It was a variable weight.  I sold it because my yellow topre keycaps don't quite work on white.  I just bought a 87u black so I can put my yellow caps on it.  I like variable weight.  It is gentle to my fingers.  I don't really have a problem with the 35g keys.  They are perfect for me pinkies ;-)

Offline kinkng

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 05 August 2011, 11:42:35 »
Quote from: litster;393545
I had an 86u for a few months before I sold it recently.  It was a variable weight.  I sold it because my yellow topre keycaps don't quite work on white.  I just bought a 87u black so I can put my yellow caps on it.  I like variable weight.  It is gentle to my fingers.  I don't really have a problem with the 35g keys.  They are perfect for me pinkies ;-)

I'm not a touch typist and never really learned to type properly (I sometimes still hunt and peck) but I have had no issues with typing on the variable realforce 86U.
IBM SSK - 4
IBM Terminal Mini 1392980 - 2
IBM 1391401 - 12
IBM 42H1292 - 10
IBM Rubber Dome Model Ms - 6
Filco TenkeyLess Blue switches  - 1
Realforce 86U - 2
Realforce 86UB -1
Realforce 87UB 55g -2
Realforce 87U 45g - 1
Realforce 87U Variable Tenth Anniversary - 1
Noppoo Choc Mini Blues - 2

Offline RiGS

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 05 August 2011, 12:10:06 »
Quote from: litster;393545

Same for me, but I want to try the 55g as well.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 05 August 2011, 12:20:33 »
I only had the ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa issue on a 103UW that was supposed to be 35/45/55 but was actually 30/45/55 like the original Realforce 101 and the 86u.
*I believe Topre says resistance can vary by 5 or 10g or something crazy like that.

The variable 87u I had was fine with 35g pinky keys.  The all 55g was really fun but pinkies would get tired if you did heavy work with them (such as bulk reorganizing photos where you use arrows a lot)

If you don't type with your fingers on home row, then today would be a great day to start!
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline kinkng

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 05 August 2011, 12:53:29 »
Quote from: didjamatic;393578
I only had the ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa issue on a 103UW that was supposed to be 35/45/55 but was actually 30/45/55 like the original Realforce 101 and the 86u.
*I believe Topre says resistance can vary by 5 or 10g or something crazy like that.

The variable 87u I had was fine with 35g pinky keys.  The all 55g was really fun but pinkies would get tired if you did heavy work with them (such as bulk reorganizing photos where you use arrows a lot)

If you don't type with your fingers on home row, then today would be a great day to start!

I guess since I am used to the buckling springs, I like the feel of the 55g key (esc key) on my realforce the most. I think I really want to try an all 55g realforce.
IBM SSK - 4
IBM Terminal Mini 1392980 - 2
IBM 1391401 - 12
IBM 42H1292 - 10
IBM Rubber Dome Model Ms - 6
Filco TenkeyLess Blue switches  - 1
Realforce 86U - 2
Realforce 86UB -1
Realforce 87UB 55g -2
Realforce 87U 45g - 1
Realforce 87U Variable Tenth Anniversary - 1
Noppoo Choc Mini Blues - 2

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 05 August 2011, 13:36:26 »
It takes time to adjust to topres and if you're coming from something like buckling springs 55g would feel easier at first.  If coming from lighter deities like browns you might feel differently and acclimate to variable faster.

I used variable and all 55g side by side for quite some time and never could choose 1 clear winner, I liked them both.

Then I went back to a Northgate :p
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 05 August 2011, 16:39:08 »
Quote from: didjamatic;393626
It takes time to adjust to topres and if you're coming from something like buckling springs 55g would feel easier at first.

Bingo - I prefer heavy switches.
I wonder what I was thinking when I picked my nick.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline RiGS

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 05 August 2011, 16:41:11 »
Do you like the BS over the topre 55g?

Offline thrab

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 05 August 2011, 23:07:32 »
For people who type very strangely the variableness is way too off. My fingers are all over the place like playing a piano and I found variable to be impossible.