Author Topic: Battle Of The Esc Keys  (Read 9105 times)

Offline wellington1869

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 00:44:53 »
Well, it's time to devote a WHOLE post to the ESC key

its about freakin time, I say!

sweet pics btw.

My favorite has to be the topre's red escape key.  Filco's is nice but I'd rather have my escape key say 'esc' than a brand name I guess.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline wellington1869

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 00:53:52 »
From top to bottom, and left to right, they're basically arranged in the order in which they would get 'beat up' if they could 'battle' each other.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline wellington1869

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 01:08:22 »

let the battle begin!

Offline wellington1869

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 01:29:39 »
Quote from: ripster;97563
My Dad drives a Hyundai - kinda looks like his old Buick.  When my son rented one in a trip we nicknamed our Sonata the "Snota".

lols

Boy Welly, you're all set to learn PhotoShop for real now!!

photoshop, shmotoshop.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 02:51:57 »
I have to say I have bias since I only own one real keyboard. It does in fact have red Esc key, and thankfully it just took the win.

Offline ironcoder

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 03:00:20 »
Most Excellent thread. But no blue Esc keys?
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline Ulysses31

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 07:11:26 »
I'm surprised at how flimsy those Filco keys look.  Cherry G80 keyboards have thicker keys.  The Filcos look more like the ones off my Cherry rubber dome model.  Do they flex when pinched?

Offline jrib

• http://www.jrib.net
Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 08:12:24 »
I have capslock as my escape key, I bet it could take those guys on

Offline itlnstln

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 08:26:04 »
The Filcos are appreciably thinner. The two piece cap is obviously the thickest. Now you would think that a heavier cap would indicate higher quality or a better key feel but it's probably not that simple.

One hypothesis is that you match the key mass to the switch. Majestouch said:

Quote:
I think the lightweight plastic used for FILCO keys compliment Cherry MX switches. Anything heavier would probably dull the tactility and fast action, but then I'm biased as always...
I think this is quite accurate.  This is also why I think the Cherry G80-3000 has a better key feel than even the Filco.  The caps on the Cherry feel lighter than those on the Filco and, thus transmitting the tactility of the switch better than heavier key caps.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 09:23:06 »
Another is the observation that MOST people can't tell the difference between a two piece IBM cap and a one piece. That would imply this is all idle speculation. I actually tend to lean to this hypothesis.

There definitely is a difference between the two, the two-piece keycap seems to "dampen" (can't think of a better word for it) some of the feeling of the mechanism. If you try a two-piece keycap on a keyboard you usually use with a one piece cap and vice versa, you'd see the difference.

Which is better? I compared my Model F versus a Model M I got a loan of. The single piece caps feel better on the F (it feels horrible to type on otherwise) and the double-piece suit the M (you get better tactility from the single piece key caps, but the double-piece ones seem to absorb some of the force or something, makes it less tiring to type on)
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 June 2009, 09:26:55 by ch_123 »

Offline itlnstln

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 10:14:17 »
IBM and Topre use a dye impregnation process.  It is extremely durable since it basically colors the key.  From your picture above, it looks like Costar did a standard silkscreen for the Das which is probably why people have been reporting that their lettering has faded.  I am not sure what process is used on the Filcos.  Chloe had mentioned something awhile back about laser printing/etching or a different method of silkscreening that is more durable.

Offline wellington1869

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 10:50:46 »
Quote from: ch_123;97596
There definitely is a difference between the two, the two-piece keycap seems to "dampen" (can't think of a better word for it) some of the feeling of the mechanism. If you try a two-piece keycap on a keyboard you usually use with a one piece cap and vice versa, you'd see the difference.

Which is better? I compared my Model F versus a Model M I got a loan of. The single piece caps feel better on the F (it feels horrible to type on otherwise) and the double-piece suit the M (you get better tactility from the single piece key caps, but the double-piece ones seem to absorb some of the force or something, makes it less tiring to type on)

this is interesting ch_123 - I think you're right that the main difference between them may be in how much tactility you feel. (as opposed to -- I've always compared them in terms of the difference in sound they make.)

Offline itlnstln

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 13:55:40 »
Majestouch just sent me a red Filco key for my 'board. It really looks great. Now that I see it in person, I think I might like the bright, candy red button over the blood red for the simple fact that it looks more like an emergency button. The color of the Topre buttont is nicer, but I like the "panic" feel of the Filco.

Offline itlnstln

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 14:46:47 »
Quote from: ripster;97681
I'm gonna be a troll and disagree.

Filco sounds like a gas station.

I'll call your troll and raise you a peacemaker: To Each His Own.

Yes, Filco does sound like a gas station.

Offline itlnstln

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 15:29:45 »
Quote from: ripster;97719
Show Image

I'd post a better pic of him but I don't think there is one.

F'Sho'.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 15:55:53 »
Quote from: webwit;97730
The pinacle of this type of music was Rick Ashley of course.

Damn you, now I have that ----ing song stuck in my head...

Offline jelly

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 20 June 2009, 00:24:18 »
nice review too bad my filco doesnt come with a red esc key ):

Offline jelly

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 20 June 2009, 01:01:58 »
cant.

nw im trying to find red esc key for my filco and blank keys ):

Offline wheel83

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 20 June 2009, 01:05:47 »
I <3 BS

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 20 June 2009, 18:41:28 »
This is quite petty, but I was annoyed when I found the red "FILCO" key included with my Filco Zero tenkeyless.

Because ...

... I wanted to install it on the keyboard.

But ...

... the key is for cherry switches, and the keyboard has grandson-of-Alps switches.

Grrr ...

So it's basically useless.  I even tried to use it to replace the Esc. key on my Filco numeric keypad (with brown cherries), but it's the wrong form-factor and looks out of place, like a crooked tooth.

Thanks for getting my hopes up, Filco.  Sheesh.

(So if anyone wants a red Filco key, I have two up for grabs.)

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline bigpook

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 20 June 2009, 18:44:49 »
too bad about the escape key but am looking forward to your thoughts on the Zero tenless.

First impressions?
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline wellington1869

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 20 June 2009, 18:48:31 »
Quote from: megarat;97973
This is quite petty, but I was annoyed when I found the red "FILCO" key included with my Filco Zero tenkeyless.

Because ...

But ...

... the key is for cherry switches, and the keyboard has grandson-of-Alps switches.

Grrr ...

So it's basically useless.  I even tried to use it to replace the Esc. key on my Filco numeric keypad (with brown cherries), but it's the wrong form-factor and looks out of place, like a crooked tooth.

wow, thats really a tragedy!  Its like they're dangling the red esc in front of you and yanking it away. Bastards. :)

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http:///elitekeyboards.com
Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 20 June 2009, 19:00:08 »
Quote from: megarat;97973

Because ...

But ...

Grrr ...

Hi Megarat,

I'm very sorry about the red Esc key, that shouldn't have been included with the Zero! If we ever are able to get Red Esc keys for the XM switches, you'll be the first to get one!.

Offline vils

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 20 June 2009, 19:04:08 »
I could have use for one...
It\'s the glass pipe fallacy. You can only believe that if you\'re on crack.

Offline bigpook

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 20 June 2009, 19:40:51 »
Quote from: vils;97980
I could have use for one...

same here.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline IBI

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 20 June 2009, 20:56:24 »
Quote from: ripster;97983
Do you have pierced ears?

Alternatively, stick em together to make a ten sided die (or a two-sided one if it falls over).

I'm surprised we haven't had a dice discussion on the forum yet, as they're so similar to keycaps and we've no shortage of geeks and creative people it seems like the subject should have come up before.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline jelly

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 11:26:11 »
a red esc key is always nice ):

ripster: read ur pm want to get both of it from u (:

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 23:41:37 »
Quote from: majestouch;97979
Hi Megarat,

I'm very sorry about the red Esc key, that shouldn't have been included with the Zero! If we ever are able to get Red Esc keys for the XM switches, you'll be the first to get one!.

Nice, thanks!

If anyone is seriously interested in these red Filco cherry key caps that seem to sub for escape keys, PM me.  Free w/shipping, basically.  Heck, you don't even need to pay shipping if I can send them with a first class stamp.

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline watduzhkstand4

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 22 June 2009, 07:36:26 »
This is all that I'm waiting for,

1. Red esc key for Cherry
2. Blank purple keys for WASD for Cherry
3. Blank keys for Cherry.

I'm waiting for that e-mail newsletter Majestouch! =P
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline cmr

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 22 June 2009, 18:40:10 »
mine's the best, it even matches geekhack

orange X%&#! key of unknown provenance on scorpius M10

Offline lowpoly

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 10:09:23 »
Size matters:

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline cmr

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 25 June 2009, 17:44:38 »
is that from the symbolics board?

Offline lowpoly

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 26 June 2009, 07:25:39 »
Yes.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline cmr

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 03 August 2009, 16:47:05 »
yeah, the red escape key is by no means the thing of a particular brand

Offline Rajagra

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 03 August 2009, 17:01:06 »
May as well go the whole hog:

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 03 August 2009, 19:00:41 »
I would rather have a gray Esc key instead of the one I have with green handwritten lettering on the keystem.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline o2dazone

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 03 August 2009, 21:33:58 »
Quote from: webwit;106671

lol

Offline rdjack21

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 04 August 2009, 22:50:11 »
I really like this dyed red escape key I got on the HHKB Pro I got from megarat.

It is a little darker than the one that comes with the 87U.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 06:33:15 »
Three Cherry, 1 ALPS, and 2 BS Red Escape keys...that's what I don't have...where could I get them, though?
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline itlnstln

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 08:04:35 »
Quote from: timw4mail;107089
Three Cherry, 1 ALPS, and 2 BS Red Escape keys...that's what I don't have...where could I get them, though?

Majestouch can probably help you out on the red Cherry caps, but they might be Filco-branded.  The other two you might have to dye.  There are also caps similar to the second piece on the IBM keycaps that just fit over your existinsg key that you could also use on the Alps and BS.

Offline itlnstln

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 09:12:59 »
Let me look for them.  I had a link in the Modifications forum at one time, but I'll be d*mned if I know where it is.

Offline itlnstln

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 09:20:44 »
Quote from: ripster;107126
I've only seen those cheapo stick ons - where have you seen these? I just checked Hooleon and Fentek - only custom runs.

You know what, that was it.  I remember I was looking for a "Panic" button.  I think bhtooefr has one that was a Cherry replacement key, or something, and I went to search Google to fime something similar.  The ones I had originally found were adhesive (not stickers like Hooleon's, though).  Nevermind.

iFail.

Offline itlnstln

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 10:02:06 »
Quote from: ripster;107137
NP. Just making sure when I corner the market for Red Esc keys I don't have any competition.

So far, your only competition is majestouch, but he doesn't sell them... yet.  As soon as he does, I am buying one for my Cherry 'board.

Offline rdjack21

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 10:05:03 »
Quote from: ripster;107137
NP.  Just making sure when I corner the market for Red Esc keys I don't have any competition.
The only problem is that as soon as you corner the market someone will break out the dye and starting making some.

I do have to say that the Red Esc keys do look nice on a black board. Not so sure if I like them on white boards though.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE

Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 10:11:49 »
Quote from: rdjack21;107150
The only problem is that as soon as you corner the market someone will break out the dye and starting making some.

I do have to say that the Red Esc keys do look nice on a black board. Not so sure if I like them on white boards though.

I don't know of many actually white keyboards...but it is true that it might look a little more strange with the beige.

It doesn't look too bad on that picture of the M Ripser posted earlier, though.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline rdjack21

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 12:33:38 »
Quote from: ripster;107182
I think it looks great!

Show Image

Unfortunately Topre and Filco have a different profile so it's not as easy as modding a key to fit on a key stem.  Also, I only have Unicomp Grey keys and I bet those would be tuff to Rit dye.  Megarat sure got close though with the Topre's.

On that board it does look good. But then again you also replaced all the other keys with black ones. If those other keys had been the original color I'm not so sure it would look as good.
Keyboards

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 09 August 2009, 16:37:21 »
I saw this topic discussed in the section on keyboard pictures. (I really must take pictures of my keyboards; I'm scared, though, that they might be used to defraud people on eBay.)

The ATTN key on a 2741 was not red, and IBM usually didn't go in for colorful keys, so most 3277 and 3278 display stations didn't do that either as far as I know. But I have seen ASR 33 and ASR 35 Teletypes with a red Break key.

Since the red key is used to interrupt a running program, I would think you would want a red Pause/Break key on a PC keyboard, not a red Esc key.

Of course, I do have some pretty strange ideas of the color scheme I would like to see on a keyboard, as a drawing on my web site illustrates:

Since it's only a drawing and not a picture, I figure this is the better thread for it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 August 2009, 16:40:54 by quadibloc »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 09 August 2009, 17:17:38 »
Quote from: quadibloc;108483
Of course, I do have some pretty strange ideas of the color scheme I would like to see on a keyboard, as a drawing on my web site illustrates:

Show Image

Since it's only a drawing and not a picture, I figure this is the better thread for it.

Ah, so you're the man behind that mad keyboard layout site... You'd probably hate the Happy Hacking keyboard =P

Offline watduzhkstand4

Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 10 August 2009, 01:00:19 »
in desperate needs of some purple WASD keys and a red ESC key for my HHKB! PM me if you have some!
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
Battle Of The Esc Keys
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 21:40:33 »
I should note, though, that while I do have several keyboards, I don't have much that is all that impressive. While my first Model M was purchased new in an "Easy Options" box from an IBM Home Computing outlet, my other Model Ms, and most of my other keyboards, just came from thrift shops, although I did have a few lucky finds, and a few older items.

I do have a digital camera, and have made some initial attempts; when I get pictures that I'm ready to make a permanent part of my website, I will also link them here.

Quote from: ch_123;108490
You'd probably hate the Happy Hacking keyboard =P

I would have to admit that I'd be unlikely to choose the version with blank keycaps. And having to shift in order to use the backspace key does strike me as odd; why do pencils have erasers?
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 August 2009, 21:45:56 by quadibloc »