Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 611687 times)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #1550 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 13:28:54 »

Yea, the argument that I've seen around the web is that if you worried about the performance of dual core i5 vs. i7, just bump up to a quad core because that's where you will get a sizeable performance bump.  You lose on size and battery, but will have definite improvements in performance.

Size yes..  Battery... we got pretty good gating on the intels nowadays..

If I'm doing CPU-intensive work, I'm plugged in anyway. Ever since I started using notebooks, I am aware when I'm on battery. On battery, I typically stick to (non-flash, non video) webbrowsing and text editing.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1551 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 04:19:35 »
This is all very interesting, thanks! I guess you are right. I thought about doubling down on security and going all the way.. using a secure linux, using tor, encrypting all my stuff etc. But like you said, it looks like you have something to hide.

You say it is difficult if you blend into the crowd to notice you. Statistically, that would mean that you deviate little from the mean. As with every algorithm, outliers or extreme deviations from the mean may be interesting. In terms of regression, everybody browsing kittens and 9gag is the mean, but those two persons browsing kiddie pron stand out and do not fit the regression line. So the more you deviate, the more interesting you become for NSA I believe, if you put it in terms of algorithms.

Sorry if that was too much statistics, I'm trying to reason about how the NSA would actually pick you out of the herd, and I guess it is via algorithms, typically based on machine learning and discriminatory analysis. So they need to quantify a way to distinguish the herd from interesting data points (people).

Sticking out doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong, it just puts a spotlight on you, IF someone is looking, and few are,. and even if they do, they shouldn't just because you use Linux or anything else. It's a choice, not a criminal's tool. You can hack just as much in Windows as you can on Linux, possibly more due to all the scripts out there for it.

At this point Linux is common enough to not make you stick out too much, but on top of that, with database sorting and queries, if you REALLY want to drill down and find someone, they can.

My advice, run what you want, block what you can, and stop worrying about the things you cannot change. It's more than most people bother to do.

Another trick I do is use Opendns, if you never ping their site, they can't track you.

I'm NEVER going back to Mac in the near foreseeable future and I'm now running Win7, which I really like. But in the future I will be forced to upgrade to Win10 or what else we will have. (Alongside, I run xubuntu alongside and/or virtualized within windows to do serious programming work).

So I'm thinking about building my own hardware router, using iptables etc and then monitoring what win10 tries to do.

Would that be possible? Or is it also technically possible to make particular ip addresses "undetectable" by commonplace network software?
Funny, I recently switched to a (used) Mac (I looooove the battery life), but I still prefer Linux, and Macs are stupid fickle about which ones are good and which are not (hint, most are pure garbage).

Anyhow...
Win7 will become outdated, at some point you really won't have a choice and will have to go to Win10. Companies will not support it on newer hardware, and unlike XP which they waited a long time to kill, this has already started with Win7 thanks to MS, AMD and Intel (Thanks jerks!). Now that they have stopped, other companies will soon follow their lead. I give it 2 years before the average person and even casual enthusiast has to throw in the towel and go to Win10. I hate to say that, but that just seems how it's going. If MS stopped it would be one thing, but Intel and AMD as well, yeah, you're screwed. And it won't be overnight, all will seem well, and then one day you need a new printer or wifi card and you will be scouring store shelves looking for the rare one that still has support.

As for Win10, why build an entire system to monitor and filter it, I find that an insanely complex and costly solution. Shut it off at the source!
Get something like Win10Privacy and have it disable updates, all the IP addresses and domains (you can actually shut down MS updates just by killing the service, but it won't kill telemetry like this will). It's not the easiest or most obvious thing to use, but it's not too terrible. If you can install Windows or Linux or even consider building your firewall/proxy server, you can do it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 January 2017, 04:56:06 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1552 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 04:53:14 »
It has an OPEN SOURCE BIOS and an OPEN SOURCE OPERATING SYSTEM. Also I wipe it with a CLEAN CLOTH.
A clean cloth solves everything!  :))

But seriously, if you actually took the time to install open bios, I tip my hat to you sir, that takes dedication.
If I still had my x220, it would do it, still could happen depending on if I keep the Mac (which I have a love hate relationship with).

Yeah that's probably true. My Late 2010 MacBook Pro with dual core i7 is not really good at multithreading for some reason. It always fails me.

Also, I have the feeling that virtualization works waaaaay better with 4 cores: 2 for main os, 2 for guest os.
Well if Apple knew how to add actual ventilation... I mean seriously, every other system with an I5 or 7 has vents, but Apple? "We have vents, right behind this plastic hinge cover blocking your view of it".  Yeah, that works, what a bunch of morons. Macbook Air speakers also exhaust there.

Check your bios settings, sometimes they conflict with virtual environments. Some manufactures took heat for permanently disabling virtualization in bios (Sony was one of them). It took a decent bios hack to fix it.

In most cases, the jump from I5 to I7 isn't a big deal unless you are doing virtualization. Virtualization is one of the few places where hyperthreading and multi-cores (both help) will really come into play and make a truly noticeable difference.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1553 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 05:54:51 »
Sticking out doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong, it just puts a spotlight on you, IF someone is looking, and few are,. and even if they do, they shouldn't just because you use Linux or anything else. It's a choice, not a criminal's tool. You can hack just as much in Windows as you can on Linux, possibly more due to all the scripts out there for it.
NSA: Linux Journal is an "extremist forum" and its readers get flagged for extra surveillance

Anyway, the only solution is to make security the default option. Security without (corporate-governmental) backdoors. Then, idiots won't be able to spout the nonsense, that only suspects encrypt.

Happy Data Protection Day!
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 January 2017, 05:57:08 by davkol »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1554 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 06:17:41 »
Funny, I recently switched to a (used) Mac (I looooove the battery life), but I still prefer Linux, and Macs are stupid fickle about which ones are good and which are not (hint, most are pure garbage).

I switched to PC (Linux or Win7) because of 3 reasons. Not to bash, but to give some insight into why I made my choice, because I thought 2 years about switching away from Mac. Have been using mac since 1997:

1) I cannot buy satisfactorily quick Mac hardware. To top it off, if you push a mac to its edge, it becomes very hot and noisy.

I do stuff like statistical simulations, deployment testing where I have multiple virtual machines automatically testing my software. And I do photography with Lightroom. Macs just don't cut it. You pay 4 times what you would pay for a PC AND STILL have half the specs. Which brings me to price.

2) Price. Macs are 4 times more expensive and still have less features.

My machine cost me 2700 dollars. For that I have 512GB nvme ssd, 512GB normal ssd, GeForce 980 DC2 OC, 64GB DDR4, 6700K AND all Noctua cooling and a Fractal Define R5 with a sick power supply. My computer consumes max. 380-420W and I have a 700W power supply that stays 100% silent (no fans running) up to 80%, so around 560W. My fans and CPU cooler stay around 12 dbA, so inaudible. It bumps up to 15 dbA under full load. If you literally hang your ear near my case, you won't hear anything.

It used to be with Mac that you got all these extras that gave it personality and made it worthwhile. The small Jobs-era details: Mag safe, caps lock button that only enables after 2 seconds of holding the button down preventing accidental presses, keyboard lighting that adjusts to your ambient lighting conditions, etc.

But today the laptops at least are just a PC laptop with an aluminium case with a crappy keyboard and no connectivity (yes I get that USB-c is getting big and mainstream soon). And for the USB-c part, it used to be that at least for a small period of time Apple gave you adapters IN THE BOX. Now, you don't get nothing. You have to buy everything separately.

3) Repairability.

My mum's Mac Mini died. I opened the bad boy up. Guess what? GPU fried. Can I fix it? No. What should I do? Buy a new Mac Mini that is 1.5 times the original price AND get 70% of the performance, with this time the storage and memory soldered on.

I built her a homebrew PC with linux (Xubuntu) and vmware on top of it for MS Office for around 1000 dollars. She got a top-end i5, super silent Noctua everything, 16GB of ram and a 512GB SSD.

Whenever something dies, I can replace it. Myself.

Anyhow...
Win7 will become outdated, at some point you really won't have a choice and will have to go to Win10. Companies will not support it on newer hardware, and unlike XP which they waited a long time to kill, this has already started with Win7 thanks to MS, AMD and Intel (Thanks jerks!). Now that they have stopped, other companies will soon follow their lead. I give it 2 years before the average person and even casual enthusiast has to throw in the towel and go to Win10. I hate to say that, but that just seems how it's going. If MS stopped it would be one thing, but Intel and AMD as well, yeah, you're screwed. And it won't be overnight, all will seem well, and then one day you need a new printer or wifi card and you will be scouring store shelves looking for the rare one that still has support.

As for Win10, why build an entire system to monitor and filter it, I find that an insanely complex and costly solution. Shut it off at the source!
Get something like Win10Privacy and have it disable updates, all the IP addresses and domains (you can actually shut down MS updates just by killing the service, but it won't kill telemetry like this will). It's not the easiest or most obvious thing to use, but it's not too terrible. If you can install Windows or Linux or even consider building your firewall/proxy server, you can do it.

Well, security analysts found that even if you block ip addresses and lock down win10, it has hardcoded telemetry ip addresses into it. So you literally need some way external to you Win10 machine to block off all telemetry communication with the internet.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1555 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 06:21:53 »
Well if Apple knew how to add actual ventilation... I mean seriously, every other system with an I5 or 7 has vents, but Apple? "We have vents, right behind this plastic hinge cover blocking your view of it".  Yeah, that works, what a bunch of morons. Macbook Air speakers also exhaust there.

I still feel that Apple computers remain quiet... IF YOU DON'T DO stuff with them (like browsing or text editing). Whenever I run virtual machine, or even a python interpreter in the terminal the fans kick in.

And when I start up Lightroom? Oh man.. it is like a helicopter flying around in my living room.

Check your bios settings, sometimes they conflict with virtual environments. Some manufactures took heat for permanently disabling virtualization in bios (Sony was one of them). It took a decent bios hack to fix it.

In most cases, the jump from I5 to I7 isn't a big deal unless you are doing virtualization. Virtualization is one of the few places where hyperthreading and multi-cores (both help) will really come into play and make a truly noticeable difference.

Multi-cores also really help with applications that are built to support it, particularly Lightroom (well, up to 5 cores, but I only have 4 with my 6700k so I'm good).

Python of course has the GIL, which you can work around, but mostly it flies only on single core performance.

I actually do virtualization - I run linux inside windows (and the other way round). So I RELALY want virtualization.

But other than that yeah an i5 is more than plenty.

Offline iri

« Reply #1556 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 10:11:25 »
I only get flying helicopters from the Haskell compiler on Mac.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1557 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 10:37:14 »
I only get flying helicopters from the Haskell compiler on Mac.

Mmmmm haskell. Now that's a fine language that I haven't used in a while. So functional!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1558 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 18:08:16 »
I switched to PC (Linux or Win7) because of 3 reasons. Not to bash, but to give some insight into why I made my choice, because I thought 2 years about switching away from Mac. Have been using mac since 1997:
Actually I only got it (used) because there's pretty much nothing comparable to the Macbook Air (which is fantastic for travel), but yes, they are terrible for repairs, it scares the hell out of me (to the extent I may sell it). I wouldn't buy a Mac new, especially the latest one and unless you are willing to give up doing real work, I don't recommend them to anyone really, I just found it funny we went opposite directions.

Well, security analysts found that even if you block ip addresses and lock down win10, it has hardcoded telemetry ip addresses into it. So you literally need some way external to you Win10 machine to block off all telemetry communication with the internet.
This is why you use something like Win10Privacy to strip those systems from the OS. It doesn't block them, it removes and disables all of it.

I still feel that Apple computers remain quiet... IF YOU DON'T DO stuff with them (like browsing or text editing). Whenever I run virtual machine, or even a python interpreter in the terminal the fans kick in.
I find it hilarious that people buy them for video work when they are such terrible workstations.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1559 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 18:51:50 »
Anyone using Slacko?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1560 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 20:43:49 »
The spyware that doesn't exist is better than the one that does.
Dell shipped desktops with pre-installed malware, they also shipped ENTERPRISE servers with malware.
Sony was infecting pc's with a rootkit (you can thank them for all modern rootkits).
HP was shipping ENTERPRISE switches and usb sticks with malware.
Asus shipped laptops with malware.
Apple shipped Ipods with Malware and BBC claims 4k apps are infected on their store.
Samsung shipped laptops with a keylogger and cell phones and picture frames with malware.

So tell me again how you're sure your system is clean.
It has an OPEN SOURCE BIOS and an OPEN SOURCE OPERATING SYSTEM. Also I wipe it with a CLEAN CLOTH.

and i take it in THE BATH every DAY.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline iri

« Reply #1561 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 15:24:46 »
Does anybody like modern KDE?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1562 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 19:54:00 »

No.

Waaay back, I tried GNOME but it was too confusing and inconsistent, so I stuck with KDE.

Many years later GNOME had improved, and I wanted to run a few things that needed GTK, so I tried it again and liked it.

Never looked back at KDE until relatively recently, and couldn't work half of it out.

Mind you, I don't like GNOME shell either.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1563 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 06:12:23 »
Does anybody like modern KDE Plasma?
FTFY

I use it. There are bugs. As in almost any complex software (esp. non-critical). But that's the tradeoff. I can't be bothered to configure all that basic stuff (mounting, network management, multihead,...) manually, and don't share GNOME dev's world view.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1564 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 14:32:41 »

KDE 3.3 was pretty, 4 was prettier. 5+ is basically KDE raped as USA is raped by Trump right now.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1565 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 17:21:42 »
Currently dipping my toes into i3wm with Manjaro. I needed to make a few adjustments to configs and set Blender's window draw to triple buffer but after that.. Holy moly

edit - screenshot added

160075-0
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 February 2017, 07:13:13 by csmertx »

Offline Alline Cliff

« Reply #1566 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 21:18:46 »
currently using Loki, which is much prettier and neater than Freya.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #1567 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 12:40:06 »
Server OS of choice:  FreeBSD
Desktop OS of choice: OS X
Other OSes: Mint, DesktopBSD, AmigaOS

When I run Mint, I usually prefer Cinnamon.

Offline SJHL

« Reply #1568 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 16:01:53 »
I've been using Mint more on my everyday laptop. Also trying out CentOS.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #1569 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 09:07:56 »
I recently made the switch on my server from Debian to Ubuntu server, not much of a switch I know but I'm finding it very satisfying to use.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #1570 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 10:24:39 »
I used KDE for a while. It does one thing better than any other desktop, which is managing multiple monitors. It is the only DE I've tried that can deal properly with assigning the primary monitor in a 3-monitor setup to the right-hand display. With KDE, you can use folder view with the folder being the Desktop folder and keep the desktop icons on the right-hand monitor. With all other desktop environments that I have tried, the icons end up on the far left-hand monitor -- a consequence of the multiple monitors being seen as one large display.

Nevertheless, I gave up using KDE because it remains buggy and crash-prone. Moreover, although just about every aspect of the desktop is configurable, the number of options can be bewildering. Furthermore, I found that there were simple features available in other desktops that were lacking in KDE.

After trying various window managers (e..g, awesome, i3, openbox, and xmonad) and desktops (e.g., Cinnamon, Gnome, KDE, LXDE, MATE, Unity, and Xfce), I finally settled on Xfce.

The Linux Mint implementation of Xfce is beautiful and functional right out of the box. Oddly enough, a distro like Xubuntu whose default DE is Xfce has rather ugly default settings (IMO). In any event, Xfce does everything I want (with the exception of being able to make optimal use of the right-hand monitor as primary in a multiple-monitor setup), it is easy and intuitive to configure, and it is highly stable.

Offline kekstee

« Reply #1571 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 13:28:20 »
I've abandoned Gnome in favour of KDE Plasma (+ xmonad). It's actually a nice modular Desktop these days.
Gnome really just tells you to use desktops their way or gtfo, at least it feels like it.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #1572 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 18:38:15 »
I started using GNOME because I bought a 2-in-1 and I find GNOME to be the most touch friendly desktop environment out there.  I also tried Unity and KDE for this laptop, but KDE is still very desktop oriented and Unity is, well, Unity.  GNOME can become somewhat flexible with the right extensions, and Ubuntu GNOME includes a number of useful extensions right out of the box that got me going.

But if I'm going for the full desktop experience, I still favor a different DE or window manager.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #1573 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 22:08:36 »
I think I'm going to go ahead and dual boot Elementary OS, anyone use it? I've heard good things.

Offline Rykno

« Reply #1574 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 23:31:15 »
Any user preferences on a lightweight Linux distro to run off a thumb drive IE on a keychain?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1575 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 00:53:36 »
Any user preferences on a lightweight Linux distro to run off a thumb drive IE on a keychain?
Ubuntu based, if only for the drivers it has, lighter distros often skimp on drivers. I used to use Ubuntu, but I'm using mint for that now.

I think I'm going to go ahead and dual boot Elementary OS, anyone use it? I've heard good things.
I have a love hate relationship with it.
As it has aged, they removed more and more of the ability to customize it, and because of this, on some systems, the menu/start screen/whatever they want to call it, can look fine, or it can be comically large.

That said, if you want an OSX interface, try Mint, move the taskbar up top, use an OSX theme, and install Cairo dock. I find this combo MUCH more usable and tuneable.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Rykno

« Reply #1576 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 00:58:21 »
Ubuntu based, if only for the drivers it has, lighter distros often skimp on drivers. I used to use Ubuntu, but I'm using mint for that now.
thank you, so something Ubuntu based so I have broad driver compatibility?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1577 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 01:31:58 »
Tahrpup or Slacko (Puppy Linux) persistence works on pretty much any system that can boot from USB. Puppy Linux might need some additional configuration to stop video tearing though. I switched from Slacko 6.3.2 to Tahrpup 6.0.6 for my oops thumb drive. Because Ubuntu repositories. Compiling is amazing but I can't even. Yet.

Elementary OS is weird. The Elementary OS website is weird. Pantheon DE is.. idk. Plank is cool though.

edit - Had a few issues with the touchpad in Tahrpup/JWM+i3wm but it's lightning fast when everything works
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 March 2017, 12:59:55 by csmertx »

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #1578 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 07:27:43 »

I have a love hate relationship with it.
As it has aged, they removed more and more of the ability to customize it, and because of this, on some systems, the menu/start screen/whatever they want to call it, can look fine, or it can be comically large.

That said, if you want an OSX interface, try Mint, move the taskbar up top, use an OSX theme, and install Cairo dock. I find this combo MUCH more usable and tuneable.

Yea, my thoughts are about the same as this.  I used Elementary OS on a laptop for awhile, I think it looks and feels great, but decided to stop using it because customization was so restricted.  Because the Pantheon desktop is GNOME based, I believe there are guides to customize GNOME to look and feel just like Pantheon.

The Cinnamon desktop used in Linux Mint also is a good choice for a modern looking Linux OS that allows plenty of customization.  Want to make it look and feel like Mac OS?  Probably can if you want.  I bet others already made guides on this.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 March 2017, 21:25:38 by vivalarevolución »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1579 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 17:32:00 »
thank you, so something Ubuntu based so I have broad driver compatibility?
Yes.
As mentioned, Puppy and some others also have some pretty good driver compatibility, but pure open source doesn't always cover everything. Hate the idea of proprietary stuff all you want, but it exists and sometimes you have no alternative.

We live in an age where 4gig thumbsticks are available for pretty much pennies and most desktops have several gigs of ram (many even have USB 3). In an age where you can have a full Windows or MacOs running from a stick at nearly full speed, why fight with a minimal desktop when you can have a full, comfortable OS with all of the utilities you're familiar with and a full compliment of drivers.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #1580 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 11:48:14 »
I have been using Ubuntu MATE for the past two months and can't see myself changing anytime soon.  It runs beautifully on my x230 and has everything I could possibly want.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #1581 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 21:28:18 »
I have been using Ubuntu MATE for the past two months and can't see myself changing anytime soon.  It runs beautifully on my x230 and has everything I could possibly want.

I was a Ubuntu MATE devotee for my laptop experience.  Then I switched to Ubuntu GNOME because touchscreen 2-in-1.  GNOME seems to be the only DE that works well with touchscreens and a traditional laptop experience.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1582 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 12:53:19 »
I've been playing with openmediavault for a NAS. I haven't been pushing it too hard, but I've been quite happy with it so far.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline iri

« Reply #1583 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 12:08:34 »
I am a bit embarrassed about installing Linux Mint on wife's laptop after her Windows started failing. We had to downgrade from 18 to 17.3 because the former was insufferable; and even in the latter, there is a bug on a bug  :(
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 March 2017, 15:30:16 by iri »

-Ray Bradbury

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1584 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 13:35:43 »
i just installed slackware for the first time (only took me about 15 years of using linux to get around to it) and holy cow, it "just works" better than ubuntu as long as you don't mind some old stable packages.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1585 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 20:38:22 »
I am a bit embarrassed about installing Linux Mint on wife's laptop after her Windows started failing. We had to downgrade from 18 to 17.3 because the former was insufferable; and even in the latter, there is a bug on a bug  :(

What changes did you have issue with in Mint 18? I installed it on a couple of my machines because I needed the new kernel and it was easier to just install 18 than to try to upgrade the kernel from 17.3. I've only noticed one problem I'd consider major, and it's an issue with my touchpad (which I never notice because I use a real mouse most of the time anyway).
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline iri

« Reply #1586 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 04:10:28 »

What changes did you have issue with in Mint 18? I installed it on a couple of my machines because I needed the new kernel and it was easier to just install 18 than to try to upgrade the kernel from 17.3. I've only noticed one problem I'd consider major, and it's an issue with my touchpad (which I never notice because I use a real mouse most of the time anyway).
Not sure about the changes. The most annoying issue was the machine hanging when trying to change users.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1587 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 13:15:20 »

Not sure about the changes. The most annoying issue was the machine hanging when trying to change users.

Ah -- I've only got the one account on both my laptop and my desktop, so that's not something I've come across. I can see how that would be frustrating though.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #1588 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 19:51:27 »
i just installed slackware for the first time (only took me about 15 years of using linux to get around to it) and holy cow, it "just works" better than ubuntu as long as you don't mind some old stable packages.

15 years to install slackware?  Slacking off a bit, slacker.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1589 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 23:16:51 »

15 years to install slackware?  Slacking off a bit, slacker.
:-[ :-[ :-[

but at least now i'm getting paid to do it  :cool:

Offline wangledorf

• Formerly pewing
« Reply #1590 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 02:19:08 »
Used Arch for a while and it's great for learning more about Linux, but ultimately went back to working on Ubuntu with i3wm 90% of the time because it's easier to maintain.

Offline Altis

« Reply #1591 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 18:35:33 »
Does anyone know of a good way to have Linux installed on its own drive as a second OS, but be able to run it through the other via virtualization sometimes?

For example, on Mac, you can install Windows on its own partition and boot directly to it, but you can also use Paralells/VMware to boot that same Windows partition from Mac.

Can this be done with Linux? I like to be able to boot to Linux and maximize computing power/efficiency, but I also would like to be able to quickly boot it up while I'm running Windows/OSX in order to perform quick tasks.

Thanks!
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1592 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 00:45:27 »
Does anyone know of a good way to have Linux installed on its own drive as a second OS, but be able to run it through the other via virtualization sometimes?

For example, on Mac, you can install Windows on its own partition and boot directly to it, but you can also use Paralells/VMware to boot that same Windows partition from Mac.
Thanks!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_VMware_Fusion_and_Parallels_Desktop
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Altis

« Reply #1593 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 15:40:41 »

Thanks!

Thank you for the reply. I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for there.

I know they can both run a fully installed bootcamp partition of Windows as a virtual machine in Mac, and it's very easy to do.

It seems that running a full install of Linux on your second drive as a VM is different. I've found a few things on it that show some complex steps and many critical warnings because of how delicate it can be.

I'm hoping to find that it's easier to do now, just as easy as it would be with bootcamp Windows as virtual on Mac via Parallels/VMware.

Heck, I'm not even sure how well I can triple-boot my Mac with Windows and Linux as it seems you need a new bootloader. I'm slowly learning here.  :-X
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1594 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 16:40:14 »

Thanks!

I know they can both run a fully installed bootcamp partition of Windows as a virtual machine in Mac, and it's very easy to do.

It seems that running a full install of Linux on your second drive as a VM is different. I've found a few things on it that show some complex steps and many critical warnings because of how delicate it can be.

I'm hoping to find that it's easier to do now, just as easy as it would be with bootcamp Windows as virtual on Mac via Parallels/VMware.

Heck, I'm not even sure how well I can triple-boot my Mac with Windows and Linux as it seems you need a new bootloader. I'm slowly learning here.  :-X

you can use rEFInd to triple boot. i'm not sure running linux from a disk and in a VM is a great idea. but what you could do is have a shared partition/disk that you keep your home directory and maybe a few things in, then mount that from a base linux install that you keep otherwise fairly uncluttered. then you can clone that install into a VM and have both! its a bit more upkeep but as long as you use the same distro and packages, you wont notice too much of a difference.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1595 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 01:11:40 »

Thanks!

Actually, despite what Wikipedia says Parralles stopped supporting Linux on Boot Camp partitions a release or two ago or it's an older Ubuntu, I forget, but it's not current one way or another. I haven't tried it in VMWare. Either way, even with Boot Camp Windows, you really should decide if you want to use it through Paralells or boot direct and not flip back and forth, not only because of possible data corruption, but because it messes with Windows and licensing.

As for triple booting your Mac, it can be done.
As mentioned, rEFInd will do it. My advice though, is to backup EVERYTHING and plan on spending a weekend setting it up, including re-installing Mac (because you have a high chance of messing it up).

Last time I did it (I think this was how i did it), I installed Mac (or used existing Mac), then Windows using Boot Camp. When partitioning for Windows, make the drive how large you want Windows and Linux combined, so if you want 60gigs for Windows and 40gigs for Linux, make a 100gig Boot Camp partition for Windows. One Windows is installed, I used a Mint install disk to shrink the Windows partition and create my Linux partitions. Now use Linux to install rEFInd, as installing through Mac or Windows causes weird problems with security, this bypasses that problem. You may have to install rEFInd a second time, but it works fine after. Then restart, using the rEFInd boot menu, launch the Linux installer and install into the new partition. Done.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Altis

« Reply #1596 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 12:42:18 »

Thanks!

Actually, despite what Wikipedia says Parralles stopped supporting Linux on Boot Camp partitions a release or two ago or it's an older Ubuntu, I forget, but it's not current one way or another. I haven't tried it in VMWare. Either way, even with Boot Camp Windows, you really should decide if you want to use it through Paralells or boot direct and not flip back and forth, not only because of possible data corruption, but because it messes with Windows and licensing.

As for triple booting your Mac, it can be done.
As mentioned, rEFInd will do it. My advice though, is to backup EVERYTHING and plan on spending a weekend setting it up, including re-installing Mac (because you have a high chance of messing it up).

Last time I did it (I think this was how i did it), I installed Mac (or used existing Mac), then Windows using Boot Camp. When partitioning for Windows, make the drive how large you want Windows and Linux combined, so if you want 60gigs for Windows and 40gigs for Linux, make a 100gig Boot Camp partition for Windows. One Windows is installed, I used a Mint install disk to shrink the Windows partition and create my Linux partitions. Now use Linux to install rEFInd, as installing through Mac or Windows causes weird problems with security, this bypasses that problem. You may have to install rEFInd a second time, but it works fine after. Then restart, using the rEFInd boot menu, launch the Linux installer and install into the new partition. Done.

Thank you for the detailed advice Leslieann!

I don't really want to risk messing up my Windows or Mac installs trying to install Linux as a third boot.

Maybe the best thing to do is run it in a VM only. My MacBook Pro is a 2010 i5/8 GB, though, so I'm not sure how well it will run.

It's also my understanding that if you give 2 CPUs to a VM (which is actually 2 out of 4 threads), it has to wait for both to be available which can cause worse performance... so is it better to just allocate 1 CPU to the VM, I wonder.

Thanks again!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1597 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 15:03:50 »
Thank you for the detailed advice Leslieann!

I don't really want to risk messing up my Windows or Mac installs trying to install Linux as a third boot.

Maybe the best thing to do is run it in a VM only. My MacBook Pro is a 2010 i5/8 GB, though, so I'm not sure how well it will run.

It's also my understanding that if you give 2 CPUs to a VM (which is actually 2 out of 4 threads), it has to wait for both to be available which can cause worse performance... so is it better to just allocate 1 CPU to the VM, I wonder.

Thanks again!
You're welcome.

Processors only do one thing at a time, it may need 10% of it's power or 100%, but it can only do one thing at a time (hence clock cycles). Hyperthreading allows you to take advantage of that remaining cpu power. So if say, you are adding a filter in Photoshop and that job needs only 30% of the processor, instead of flipping back and forth between your music stream and that render, it can load a second thread and use that remaining 70% to deal with the music stream without interrupting the render. If it runs out of data or the system needs the whole processor, the processor stops hyperthreading and operates as a single core again until there is enough headroom to operate again.

It's just a way to split a processor into two jobs or multi-task. Like people though, multi-tasking is not the same as having two people.

As for your hardware, you should be fine, Linux is less resource hungry than Windows and Mac has better memory management than either Windows or Linux, the latter of which excels in VM environment.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1598 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 22:10:47 »
Well, my i3 Manjaro is still ticking after a month+. Somehow I've refrained from killing it with fire. 

Offline Altis

« Reply #1599 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 22:29:31 »
Any opinions as to whether VirtualBox or VMware Workstation Player (ie. the free one) would be better for running a lightweight, desktop instance of Linux?