Author Topic: ABS M1 $40 shipped at Newegg  (Read 18581 times)

Offline bigpook

ABS M1 $40 shipped at Newegg
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 10:04:46 »
Alps, the uni sushi of the keyboard world. It really is an acquired taste.

ooooh thats nasty
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 11:31:18 »
Quote from: bigpook;113326
Yeah, we all make some mistakes. I am thinking you don't have the fukka switches though.
One way to salvage it is to get a dell at101 and swap the keys.

But if you are really liking the cherry browns, then even the black alps may be a bit too much.

I put the cherry browns down as the lightest switch I have yet to use, then the topres, then the black alps.

itln you prolly had xm's. if you still have the board, can you open a switch?  
regardless, fukkas (real-simplifieds) are quite different from both regular black alps and definitely from xm's.

And if you were gushing about xm's like that, man, wtf. :)

And if they did have xm's, it goes back to my point about abs once having had xms and then switching over later on, which would further explain any early complaints about it (and explain recent gushings about it). :)

and if they're fukkas and you came to dislike them (after your amazing gushing early on), well it just proves that to each their own :)   If you're a light-switch-fan now, i've always said folks on light switches may not like even the fukkas. :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 August 2009, 11:37:12 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 11:52:02 »
Quote from: wellington1869;113369
itln you prolly had xm's. if you still have the board, can you open a switch?
regardless, fukkas (real-simplifieds) are quite different from both regular black alps and definitely from xm's.

And if you were gushing about xm's like that, man, wtf. :)

This is what pook and I were discussing earlier. At first, you tend to find some really nice thnigs about a 'board only to find out about the ugly things later. Right off the bat, the extra tactility and the overall 'board quality are excellent. It's like finding a sweet, beautiful lady. Then, after you spend more time with it, the ugliness starts to show. In the case of the ABS, the switches are abnormally loud for Alps, the keypress becomes stiff, etc. Now, that sweet, beautiful lady starts treating you like crap; yelling at you, farting bed, whatever. The bottom line is, I should have waited longer before falling in love with that keyboard. I ended up writing a misleading review and buying a second ABS when, after some time, I ended up not really liking it.

Quote from: wellington1869;113369
And if they did have xm's, it goes back to my point about abs once having had xms and then switching over later on, which would further explain any early complaints about it (and explain recent gushings about it). :)

and if they're fukkas and you came to dislike them (after your amazing gushing early on), well it just proves that to each their own :) If you're a light-switch-fan now, i've always said folks on light switches may not like even the fukkas. :)

Nowadays, I don't think I would have a very objective view on any type of Alps switch. After trying all of the major switch types (except Topre), I have already made up my mind on Alps-type switches. Overall, despite their excellent quality, I don't like feel of them much anymore. They were a great transition switch from BS to other, lighter switches, but I don't think I would ever want to use them day-to-day like a BS or Cherry brown 'board.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 11:57:46 »
Quote from: itlnstln;113376
It's like finding a sweet, beautiful lady.

tell me about it :)

Nowadays, I don't think I would have a very objective view on any type of Alps switch. After trying all of the major switch types (except Topre), I have already made up my mind on Alps-type switches. Overall, despite their excellent quality, I don't like feel of them much anymore. They were a great transition switch from BS to other, lighter switches, but I don't think I would ever want to use them day-to-day like a BS or Cherry brown 'board.

well if those were xm's, i'd be the first to argue that that means you havent ever tried fukkas/real-simplifieds and those might raise your view of alps just a bit.  If they were fukkas to begin with, I'd argue you've drifted into topre-land and no one can help you now ;-D

Incidentally, my "fervor" (as rippy puts it :-D) about the fukka/real-simplifieds doesnt come from any belief on my part that they're the One Switch To Rule Them All. It merely comes from genuine *pleasant surprise* to see them being manufactured. I'd definitely buy them and I'd definitely keep them alongside my BS board as an equal.
And I guess that would mark a return to my bigamous ways :)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline bigpook

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 11:57:58 »
boxer shorts man...lol that made my day

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 12:01:56 »
To a certain extent, while I do want to hear negatives about a product, to be sure, I think positive reviews tend to be better reveiws, in general.  It impresses upon me that the reviewer has an open mind about the product, and that they are giving a fair shake.  Of course, fanboy reviews represent the other extreme, and are not helpful either.

Now, if a product is an absolute POS, I want to know about it, too.  That said, I don't think I would review another Alps-based keyboard simply because I don't think I would be open-minded enough to properly review it.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 12:04:37 »
Even now, I am not too sure I would like the Fukkas.  I went back and typed on my Northgate and Dell, and I didn't really feel the "magic" like I did when I first got them.  I am happy that somebody is making real Alps switches again instead of these off-brand copies.

Offline msiegel

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 12:10:11 »
i wish there was proof too

here's hoping the simplified alps in the filco zero don't stiffen up...

i'm taking the risk because i have an aekii's worth of complicated cream alps to replace them with, if the worst does happen

/fingers crossed

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 12:15:46 »
Wow, this is beginning to sound like the Religion thread.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 12:23:05 »
Quote from: ripster;113391
Where's the proof these Fukkas aren't copies?  

what does it matter if they are?

Where's the proof these are made  with "vintage REAL ALPS machinery"?  

what does it matter if they werent?

Where's the proof Mr. NoFukkaAround is still there doing quality control?

wont your fingers and ears tell you?

I think we keep cycling the REAL vs FAKE stuff into this

well, you keep bringing that back in - I think pook and me and others have said repeatedly (much to sandy's annoyance) that we dont really care if they're real or fake so long as they feel and sound good

when I'm not sure it matters.

it doesnt! :)

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 12:24:33 »
angry about switches

Offline msiegel

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 12:44:46 »
wait... this is the ABS M1 thread??

crap, why am i posting in here

see you guys in the Filco tenless with fukka switches thread
:D

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 12:46:29 »
Quote from: ripster;113409
Woe to the keyboard noobie that wants to know whether to buy an ABS M1 and clicked here.

We should add a disclaimer to threads that get fukka'd up like this.

"NOOBS NEED NOT APPLY"

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 12:50:24 »

I think written text always makes people seems angry.  I'm grinning the whole time I'm typing around here.

seconding - i'm grinning too. My 'logical' approach to problem solving sometimes makes me sound angry when i'm actually enjoying the whole thing.
Sandy totally misunderstood me, for instance ;)

Thats partly why I "litter" my posts with so many smiley faces. Doesnt seem to help sometimes though. :-D

Woe to the keyboard noobie that wants to know whether to buy an ABS M1 and clicked here.

yea, well, if people would just open up their switches the moment they acquire them, we wouldnt have this problem :-D
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 August 2009, 17:36:37 by wellington1869 »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 12:53:42 »
ItlnStln started it. He also started the Religion thread.

I might need to change my title.  I, personally, don't care what what anybody calls anything, but I think the whole "real vs. fake" thing is only a way to describe switches actually made by ALPS vs. those that aren't, it's accurate, no?  In the assortment of real and "compatible" switches I have tried, there is a noticable difference, for better or worse.  I think what is happening is that since there is a perceived negative connotation around the word "fake."  This is causing people to pan different switches without even trying them.  For example, I know Welly really likes Strongmans, and they are "fake" ALPS.

I think a better way to describe them would be "Alps-Interface" switches with no descriptor of "real" or "fake."  Then you could have multiple, "legit" manufacturers without an unintended quality assumption in the nomenclature.

I'm off to start some more sh*t now.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 12:58:55 »
Quote from: itlnstln;113423
For example, I know Welly really likes Strongmans, and they are "fake" ALPS.

yea, i like strongmans better than regular alps. (and dammit, yes, I just used the non-canonical term "regular". sue me :-D)

I'm off to start some more sh*t now.

dude I like your hijackings, cuz frankly, I dont have much to say about keyboards anymore unless a riot breaks out ;) Then it gets fun again ;)

Offline msiegel

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 13:02:26 »
Quote from: wellington1869;113419
if people would just open up their switches they moment they acquire them, we wouldnt have this problem :-D

good idea, will do.

oops, i'm not supposed to be in this thread ;)

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 15:14:57 »
Quote from: itlnstln;112659
The ABS comes with Alps copies, not Fukkas. They might be XMs or Strongmans, but I am not sure. They are heavier than the Alps swithces in the Dell, but they are more tactile. The M1's switches are also louder and clunkier than the Dell's.

Interestingly, I have a different feeling. I find the M1 to be smoother than my AT101W, but I find the latter to be more tactile. I mean the tactile point can be felt clearly regardless of where I press the keys. On the M1, I tend to feel the tactile point less if I don't press on the top portion of the keys.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 15:15:52 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;113456
Interestingly, I have a different feeling. I find the M1 to be smoother than my AT101W, but I find the latter to be more tactile. I mean the tactile point can be felt clearly regardless of where I press the keys. On the M1, I tend to feel the tactile point less if I don't press on the top portion of the keys.

patrick, does your m1 have fukkas or xm's or bigfoots? need pic! From your descripion i'll bet money they're fukkas.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 15:16:43 »
How old is your M1, and does the font used on the keys look identical to your Filco, or is different?

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 15:20:41 »
Quote from: wellington1869;113457
patrick, does your m1 have fukkas or xm's or bigfoots? need pic! From your descripion i'll bet money they're fukkas.

How would I know? I have never taken apart a switch.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 15:22:06 »
Quote from: itlnstln;113459
How old is your M1, and does the font used on the keys look identical to your Filco, or is different?

My M1 was bought around end of May, beginning of June of this year. I don't have it with me, I'll check later if there is a production date on it. The font is not identical, but the case is.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 15:26:30 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;113461
How would I know? I have never taken apart a switch.

http://geekhack.org/showpost.php?p=111922&postcount=11

:-D  Now you have a project for when your daughter is taking her nap :-D
I think that goes for you too, itln! :-D

Btw, Reassembly is easier than it looks. A spot of vaseline or silicon grease will help "stick" the spring inside the slider and keep it from falling out, which is the main difficulty. The rest is easy.
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=ALPS+switches&do=comments&page=2&highlight=vaseline (scroll down a bit).
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 August 2009, 15:31:03 by wellington1869 »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 15:38:18 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;113462
My M1 was bought around end of May, beginning of June of this year. I don't have it with me, I'll check later if there is a production date on it. The font is not identical, but the case is.

I would imagine Costar did a new hardware revision since it seems they had to find a new source of Alps-style switches.  From what I am reading from people that have the new 'boards (ones with the new font on the caps), is that they might have the Fukka switches where the older ones with the Filco font on the caps probably have some other type of switch.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 15:57:35 »
Quote from: itlnstln;113466
I would imagine Costar did a new hardware revision since it seems they had to find a new source of Alps-style switches.  From what I am reading from people that have the new 'boards (ones with the new font on the caps), is that they might have the Fukka switches where the older ones with the Filco font on the caps probably have some other type of switch.

thats my guess too. that there were two versions of the m1, with the latter version being less sucky.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 17:13:30 »
Quote from: wellington1869;113464

Btw, Reassembly is easier than it looks. A spot of vaseline or silicon grease will help "stick" the spring inside the slider and keep it from falling out, which is the main difficulty. The rest is easy.
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=ALPS+switches&do=comments&page=2&highlight=vaseline (scroll down a bit).

If she does nap. It's not un common for her to nap for 15 minutes only and a total of half-hour max in a day. Days like these are very tough.

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 17:30:59 »
Quote from: wellington1869;113464

Tell you what I'll sell you mine and you can take it apart your self :laugh:

Or I can just give it to my son along with a sledge hammer and tell him to go for it. By the time he is through with it I bet one of those keys pop open :laugh: Don't know about getting it back together again though.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 18:04:39 »

Tell you what I'll sell you mine and you can take it apart your self

lol rd, after reading the abs/tenkeyless threads, I'm willing to throw two screwdrivers in the back of my car and drive across the country offering alps removal services ;)

ripster, where is that pic from? I've never seen anything like that happen with all my alps modding or anyone elses on this site. Alps keys and switches have a reputation for toughness if anything. It looks like someone indiscriminantly and abruptly yanked the key upwards there. I'd like to see what that'd do to any other switch too.

you have to wiggle, not yank. (A general rule to live life by ;D )

Btw I highly recommend the hoolean key puller, makes life so much easier. Alps keys are pretty tight, takes a lot of wiggling with two cross-leveraged screwdrivers under the key to initially get the key off the stem.  Opening the switch after that is relatively easy.
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 August 2009, 18:11:29 by wellington1869 »

Offline kyamei

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 18:09:51 »
Quote from: wellington1869;113493
ripster, where is that pic from? I've never seen anything like that happen with all my alps modding or anyone elses on this site. Alps keys and switches have a reputation for toughness if anything. It looks like someone indiscriminantly and abruptly yanked the key upwards there. I'd like to see what that'd do to any other switch too.

That pic was mine.  I was using the Hoolean wire keypuller.  That cap just seemed to be tighter than the rest.
Topre:  Realforce 101, Realforce 87U, HHKB Pro 2
Cherry Brown:  Compaq MX11800
Cherry Blue:  Filco FKBN87MC/EB
Cherry Black:  K-202 numerical keypad
Alps Black:  AT101W, ABS M1
Alps White:  Focus FK-2001
Buckling Springs:  Model M 1391401, Lexmark Model M 82G2383, Model M2
Buckling Sleeves:  Unicomp Model M4
Futaba:  Sejin EAT-1010

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 18:13:33 »
Quote from: kyamei;113496
That pic was mine.  I was using the Hoolean wire keypuller.  That cap just seemed to be tighter than the rest.

lol, good god man! I cant imagine, I know they're tight but jesus. Did you solder it back in?

I dont know what other people do, but even with the hoolean I rest my wrist on the keyboard while pulling the hoolean with my fist, so that I can apply pressure slowly and when the key "gives" I can stop my arm motion quickly.

Ripster, I got to hand it to you. With the plethora of happy alps pics all over this site, you're somehow able to find the handful of disasters and put them together and really scare off people from alps.  Hmmmm.

Until your posts on this, the general reputation of alps on this site for the last year was  that it was the easiest switch to work with and mod.  After your posts in the last 48 hours, suddenly its being presented as a scary monster. Somethings not right. :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 August 2009, 22:25:10 by wellington1869 »

Offline kyamei

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 18:15:29 »
The switch was busted, you can see part of the contact ripped straight out of the switch.  I ended up stealing a switch from one of the boards I had laying around for parts.  Switch is a bit different (white XM without click leaf), but I never use right CTRL anyways.

Offline kyamei

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 18:34:12 »
Quote from: ripster;113501
I didn't mean to pick on Kyamei in any way - "Fukka Just Happens"

Don't worry, I didn't take it that way.  I personally thought it was hilarious when it happened.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 18:39:17 »
:-D lets see, in the last couple of days ripster has presented: "dirty" alps, "broken" alps, reassembly "nightmares", fake/real "controversies", accusations that its all a marketing coup, claims that the m1 had always been hated...

:)  Just sayin' :) Patterns in the chaos?

Offline bigpook

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 18:49:55 »
As I like to say; some people just like to stir the sh*t pot.

Offline msiegel

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 18:51:35 »
Quote from: wellington1869;113503
Patterns in the chaos?

now that's just good journalism

enquiring minds want to know ;D

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 18:52:02 »
So, the real question remains: Is this worth the $40?
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline talis

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 18:55:37 »
looks like the right side solder joint was weak or missing (by the fact that it looks like it just pulled straight out of the solder), probably put all of the upward force on the left side instead of dividing it between them.

Offline rdh

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 19:20:46 »
Quote from: wellington1869;113216
So for $40 basically you could pick up a fukka modding board.

Am I the only one who automatically rearranged that phrase to "a modda fukking board"?

(Sorry, sorry.)
at home: IBM "Space Saving" Model M
at work: Topre Realforce 87UKB55

Offline bigpook

« Reply #88 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 19:31:08 »
whoever in marketing came up with the 'fukka' name is probably going to get a big fat bonus check at the end of the quarter. fukken a

Offline bigpook

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 19:32:29 »
Quote from: timw4mail;113508

for 40 dollars with free shipping? and you like alps-like switches?

I would score one straightaway if it was tenless.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 20:23:54 »
Quote from: rdh;113517
Am I the only one who automatically rearranged that phrase to "a modda fukking board"?

(Sorry, sorry.)

ahahahaha thats brilliant :-D  I guess thats what i'll have to call it from now on.

Offline erricrice

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 20:26:16 »

I got one myself, and if it weren't for the fact that the tactile bump is very close to the top of the switch, I would love it.  Still use it as my work keyboard though, little less annoying than anything with Blue Cherries(although strangely a bit louder haha)
I\'m selling all my Shizz! Please buy it!

White ALPS: Northgate Omnikey 101-NCS(Real-Complicated)****Filco Zero FKBN87Z/EB(Fukka Simplifieds)****Siig MiniTouch(XM Simplifieds)
Black ALPS: Black Dell AT-101W(Real-Complicated)****ABS M1(Modded Black ALPS, Linear)
Buckling Spring: Model M 1391401(1988 & 1993)
Cherry Blues: DAS III Pro
Cherry Blacks: Cherry G80-11900
Cherry Browns: 3X Cherry G80-8113LRCUS-2
Cherry MY: G81-7000HPBUS-2****G81-3000LANUS-0****Modded to 20g
Rubber Dome: HHKB Lite 2 (White & Black)

Logitech G5[/FONT]
Erricrice\'s Song of the Day: Gorillaz - El Maņana
Yup, Blatantly stealing this from you Kishy, hope you don\'t mind, it\'s a great idea.

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 20:28:39 »
Quote from: ripster;113522
Tim, since you like the clicky 60g Model F AT I'd try the Filco Zero first - looks like it's about 60g if Majestouch's nickel test was right and it should be plenty clicky.

The ABS M1 is probably fine if you don't plan to use it for gaming or if you are just looking to pull all the switches out of it as a donor board.  In fact, it looks like you can pull the switches out without a soldering iron.  :biggrin1:

Hey, gotta pick on some keyboard manufacturer. Metadot wouldn't give me the RMA number unless I promised to stop ragging on the  Das.

But you forget one important fact: I'm cheap. That's why I have the Scorpius M10 over the Filco, and why I'd do the ABS M1 over the Filco Zero.

Quote from: bigpook;113523
for 40 dollars with free shipping? and you like alps-like switches?

I would score one straightaway if it was tenless.

I'm not sure if I do like ALPS switches...I've almost got all the main categories of Cherry MX switch, though...

There was a colorful keyboard (I think it had some kind of ALPS, clicky and tactile) that I had for my Mac at one point, if I could find the kind of switch that was, perhaps I'd be interested.
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 20:29:23 »
Quote from: erricrice;113530
I got one myself, and if it weren't for the fact that the tactile bump is very close to the top of the switch, I would love it.  Still use it as my work keyboard though, little less annoying than anything with Blue Cherries(although strangely a bit louder haha)

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who finds that the tactile bump is closer to the top of each key. The Dell AT101W tactile bump is the same regardless of where I press on the key.

It's also true that the M1 is louder than blue cherries, but yet more acceptable in an office environment.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 20:30:33 »
...and why I'd do the ABS M1 over the Filco Zero.

m1 and zero - their fukkas are a bit different though.

thing is you have to remember the M1 is black fukkas (ie, clickless but tactile).  Generally its the white fukkas that used to get more attention (click plus tactile). Zero is white fukkas. Personally I prefer the white fukkas. But if you want a clickless board (tho its plenty loud with its topping/bottoming clack) or if you like black alps in general then you might prefer the black fukkas. But I just wanted to point out the difference. The filco tenkeyless that pook got was white fukkas; so was cmr's tp2. Its prolly one of those two i'm going to get.

Also of course as has been said before, this board would be great for instance if you're looking for, er, black modda fukkas.

Or you could be like pook and get both white and black fukkas and put them on your desk side by side ebony and ivory on my piano keyboard living in perfect harmony so why cant we?  :-D

>
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">[/youtube]

SO pook will have a utopian experiment in racial, er, alps key harmony on his desk. And if the last two days have shown anything, we need that kind of shining example now more than ever! :-D
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 August 2009, 22:26:52 by wellington1869 »

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 20:34:48 »

$40 plus shipping I think is a good deal. Things to remember is:

- It's a fairly loud keyboard. If you plan to use it in an environement where noise is a big problem...
- The space bar will like squeak, but this can be fixed with a little silicone grease/oil.

Keep in mind that it's easier to remove the space bar if you open the case. But doing so will void the warranty. Then again, at $40 this should not be too big of a deal.

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 20:43:28 »
Aha...here's the old keyboard:
http://www.datadesktech.com/desktop_lbb.html

Anybody know what the old white version had for switches?

Offline erricrice

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 20:52:32 »
Quote from: timw4mail;113538
Aha...here's the old keyboard:
http://www.datadesktech.com/desktop_lbb.html

Anybody know what the old white version had for switches?

Hmm, well the datasheet says 50 Million cycles, so that points to Cherries, and it says gold plated contacts, which I believe I have seen for some Cherries at some point, I can't remember where though.  Maybe Blues since it's clicky!  Although it is an old keyboard....

EDIT:

Wait a second.  Someone says they're buckling springs at the bottom of this page, but is then promptly corrected by none other than xsphat!  He says they're ALPS switches so if they're clicky they are one of the white/blue/cream colored variants.
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 August 2009, 20:57:09 by erricrice »
I\'m selling all my Shizz! Please buy it!

White ALPS: Northgate Omnikey 101-NCS(Real-Complicated)****Filco Zero FKBN87Z/EB(Fukka Simplifieds)****Siig MiniTouch(XM Simplifieds)
Black ALPS: Black Dell AT-101W(Real-Complicated)****ABS M1(Modded Black ALPS, Linear)
Buckling Spring: Model M 1391401(1988 & 1993)
Cherry Blues: DAS III Pro
Cherry Blacks: Cherry G80-11900
Cherry Browns: 3X Cherry G80-8113LRCUS-2
Cherry MY: G81-7000HPBUS-2****G81-3000LANUS-0****Modded to 20g
Rubber Dome: HHKB Lite 2 (White & Black)

Logitech G5[/FONT]
Erricrice\'s Song of the Day: Gorillaz - El Maņana
Yup, Blatantly stealing this from you Kishy, hope you don\'t mind, it\'s a great idea.

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 20:55:16 »
Quote from: erricrice;113539
Hmm, well the datasheet says 50 Million cycles, so that points to Cherries, and it says gold plated contacts, which I believe I have seen for some Cherries at some point, I can't remember where though.  Maybe Blues since it's clicky!

I'm 99% sure that the old keyboard definitely wasn't Cherry switches. They required more force than the blues, and were lower-pitched.

If only I could find that stupid keyboard...I probably got rid of it at some point...

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #99 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 22:14:34 »
Quote from: timw4mail;113541
I'm 99% sure that the old keyboard definitely wasn't Cherry switches. They required more force than the blues, and were lower-pitched.

If only I could find that stupid keyboard...I probably got rid of it at some point...

those are v. pretty boards.