Poll

Which realization of Cyrillics do you prefer?

Double shot single letters
Standard QWERTY with front printed Cyrillics

Author Topic: [IC] YURI R1 GMK (Cherry profile)  (Read 354071 times)

Offline ricyuyc

Re: [IC] YURI R1 GMK (Cherry profile)
« Reply #1050 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 21:54:08 »
Hey hey!

As promissed i've mapped new icons along with skidata icon mods to see how well they play together. And i'd like to share it with you.

Show Image

In my opinion the lines need to be slightly thicker. I'll adjust it. But there it is. On Enter you can see ther i took the scale (the thin rectangle). Ignore that dust on the sides i was in hury :)
would you consider to align the 1u icon mods in centre and other icon mods that on longer keys to have same left indent alignment?
162392-0

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #1051 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 22:49:21 »
Hey hey!

As promissed i've mapped new icons along with skidata icon mods to see how well they play together. And i'd like to share it with you.

Show Image

In my opinion the lines need to be slightly thicker. I'll adjust it. But there it is. On Enter you can see ther i took the scale (the thin rectangle). Ignore that dust on the sides i was in hury :)
would you consider to align the 1u icon mods in centre and other icon mods that on longer keys to have same left indent alignment?
(Attachment Link)
This is quite clever idea!
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #1052 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 23:59:24 »
Hey hey!

Show Image

(Attachment Link)

I get you, but its about having the same alignment as all the existing keys. Sure i can consider making at least 1u keys centered.

Offline bkw1209

« Reply #1053 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 06:46:52 »
So When start GB?
I Can't waiting!!

Offline srang

« Reply #1054 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 07:17:43 »
So When start GB?
I Can't waiting!!
Dude like 3 people have asked that on this page. April.
But I'll let it slide I'm excited too :)

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #1055 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 15:27:08 »
Another try...

Icons are reworked and boldier.

Of course the alignment on 1u keys is debatable. I for myself like the centered ones.

Offline thad

« Reply #1056 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 15:28:21 »
Thicker lines look good. I do agree, I like the centered look.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #1057 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 15:40:19 »
Ditto, thicker lines and centred 1u for me too. Looks great.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #1058 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 15:40:44 »
Not interested in buying the Icon pack but +1 for centered 1u legends

Offline need

« Reply #1059 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 15:55:08 »
centred and bold legends look nice

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1060 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 17:22:32 »
Another try...

Show Image

Of course the alignment on 1u keys is debatable. I for myself like the centered ones.

It seems that you tried to use the same "blank" area for all the symbols. However, the diamond and the super symbols may look better if they were a bit smaller, don't you think?

Offline srang

« Reply #1061 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 17:41:54 »
Potentially dumb question but doesn't line thickness and shape size depend on the molds available?

Offline ehmlis

« Reply #1062 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 17:43:52 »
Another try...

Show Image

It looks great, I'm really happy with how it turned out. Also +1 on the centered 1u legends.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #1063 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 17:44:23 »
Another try...

Show Image

It seems that you tried to use the same "blank" area for all the symbols. However, the diamond and the super symbols may look better if they were a bit smaller, don't you think?

Sure i can make those smaller. Though the diamond may get too small in width but i'll test it first. You are right with the same blanck area. Its a recangle and the symbols are applied by specific rules. Though the diamond is made little bit larger same like one do for letter O,S,I etc... By the way the symbols you've called are super (diamond) and menu... :) If not correct me please.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #1064 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 17:49:06 »
Potentially dumb question but doesn't line thickness and shape size depend on the molds available?

What do you mean exactly? For those new symbols gmk needs to make new "legend molds". Probably you mean the limitation for doubleshot technique, then well too thin lines are not good. There are other limitations but i am sure these new symbols are doable without issues.

Offline srang

« Reply #1065 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 17:57:31 »

What do you mean exactly? For those new symbols gmk needs to make new "legend molds". Probably you mean the limitation for doubleshot technique, then well too thin lines are not good. There are other limitations but i am sure these new symbols are doable without issues.
No I think I just missed that we were getting new molds for the symbols :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1066 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 18:17:04 »
Another try...

Show Image

Sure i can make those smaller. Though the diamond may get too small in width but i'll test it first. You are right with the same blanck area. Its a recangle and the symbols are applied by specific rules. Though the diamond is made little bit larger same like one do for letter O,S,I etc... By the way the symbols you've called are super (diamond) and menu... :) If not correct me please.

They look good, already. I am pretty sure they will look even better in real life. Good job!

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1067 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 00:18:01 »
I'm really not a fan of the off-center symbols on the 1.25u keys, I think they would look better centered, rather than aligned with the 1u. Not sure if I'm getting the set though, so don't let my opinion carry too much weight.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #1068 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 00:21:04 »
The icon update is very good, with the time passes you will know eventually how the size should be, I know it. For now the only thing bother me is the arrow on Esc, kinda off compared to enter and backspace, seems like it is due to the smaller size but still..

Nice job bud :thumb:

For the 1u centered, ricyuyci's idea is neat, it can be centered as long as it gives the 'same' alignment.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #1069 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 08:17:25 »
This is gonna be the set to get next to oblivion.  I mean two years from now people are going to be wishing they could go back in time when this GB opens.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #1070 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 13:30:21 »
This is gonna be the set to get next to oblivion.  I mean two years from now people are going to be wishing they could go back in time when this GB opens.

Oh i forgot how much time passed since i've started this IC. Well if you remember i wanted initially to make yuri in cherry profile and look its going to be how i wanted :) How things changed.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #1071 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 13:53:23 »
Oh i forgot how much time passed since i've started this IC. Well if you remember i wanted initially to make yuri in cherry profile and look its going to be how i wanted :) How things changed.

I'm so excited, I really wonder how much it'll cost to cover a 60% with the new icons and Cyrillic - it's gonna be such a cool thing to do, hopefully GMK can handle it all well and at as very little cost as can be; the success the set has to see prior to those kits "opening" doesn't worry me in the slightest, I'm sure people are going to be all over the base kit.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #1072 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 14:37:24 »
Actually i got other stuff to do, like fix/adjust the size of two icon mods.... But i always wanted to do that.

That is how cherry cyrillics shoud have been done long days ago. Ignore the number row and some symbols, sicne this render was made to show how letters play with everything else and especially the cherry profile.

I really wonder how much it'll cost to cover a 60% with the new icons and Cyrillic.

It will cost reasonably for new molds. But lets wait and see. Its possible GMK is going to surprise us ;)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #1073 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 15:04:59 »
beautiful legends, comrade

Offline poolside

« Reply #1074 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 07:37:38 »
Another try...

Show Image

These icons are looking good!
I like the centered legends on the 1u caps as well.

Is there a standard orientation for the Alt icon? It has been turned upside down compared to the previous mockups.

Offline ehmlis

« Reply #1075 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 07:55:45 »
[...]
Is there a standard orientation for the Alt icon? It has been turned upside down compared to the previous mockups.

Apple uses this orientation for the option key.
More

The ISO icon version for the alt key has the other orientation.
More

So I suppose that's why we have seen the two different versions.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 March 2017, 07:58:53 by ehmlis »

Offline nsmechkb

« Reply #1076 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 10:24:54 »
I've been staying away from GMK because of my luv for PBT, but I don't think I'll be able to pass up the doubleshot Cyrillics, in combination with the theme, colorway, and novelties.

Offline srang

« Reply #1077 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 09:12:56 »
Rahhhh I don't wanna wait any more!!!

Offline Theconejo

« Reply #1078 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 15:19:47 »
Is here no way to have Cyrillic and Roman letters together in harmony with gmk?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #1079 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 15:23:29 »

they can do it with pad printing but not doubleshot

it doesn't look especially good, but it's not appalling either
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #1080 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 15:29:58 »

Only look good if they'd triple shot it which right now is not possible; however, it is in theory (and probably practice too) possible in the future if they get more/new tooling.

Offline Theconejo

« Reply #1081 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 15:31:56 »

they can do it with pad printing but not doubleshot

I'll have to get both sets of alphas then. I convinced my sisters to pitch in and build my brother in law a kb with this set for his birthday or he holidays, depending on timing. Was hoping to have both scripts on one key but I'll take what I can get.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #1082 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 12:28:16 »
Adjusted following icons: Escape, Menu and Super/Gui/Win.

I dont get this sentence. I think you relate this negativity to padprinting but not the look of possible result.

Anyway padprinting is a no go for me. If someday we got a chance to do tripple shot...
Also its pretty subjective but i think many people will do unspeakable things for something like this:

Offline Jedi

« Reply #1083 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 15:17:43 »
I love those orange, please consider a extended set in the future with blues and blacks with that! :thumb: :p

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #1084 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 15:31:30 »
can't take pictures of it right now but there are some weird bleed issues on my GMK cyrillic set
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Jedi

« Reply #1085 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 16:11:12 »
can't take pictures of it right now but there are some weird bleed issues on my GMK cyrillic set

How long ago was that set produced?  GMK last year corrected those bleed issues after TA.  T0mb3ry already went through extensive bleed thru testing with GMK Carbon before that set was even produced.  Secondly, this is doubleshot cyrillic.  I understand what you are doing by asking the question, but I believe this has been covered (maybe not specifically with Cyrillic legends, but perhaps best for the thread with which those Cryillics were originally run in?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #1086 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 16:32:21 »

How long ago was that set produced?  GMK last year corrected those bleed issues after TA.  T0mb3ry already went through extensive bleed thru testing with GMK Carbon before that set was even produced.  Secondly, this is doubleshot cyrillic.  I understand what you are doing by asking the question, but I believe this has been covered (maybe not specifically with Cyrillic legends, but perhaps best for the thread with which those Cryillics were originally run in?

I think he relates to padprinting (reading through the conversation about to combine latin and cyrillic alphasbets in one alphas, which ofcourse currently is only possible with padprinting). But as i said before, i will never do padprinting. Thats why there are two alpha sets (latin and cyrillic) being both doubleshot.

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #1087 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 20:19:03 »
Anyway padprinting is a no go for me. If someday we got a chance to do tripple shot...
Also its pretty subjective but i think many people will do unspeakable things for something like this:

Show Image

yes, think of the children and then... NO! GIVE MEH DAT TRIPLESHOTTT  :eek: :eek: :eek:

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #1088 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 02:43:06 »
A long shot, 1.5u Meta/Code/Command key? Just like on HHKB. This key never have a chance to appear on GMK :/

Offline need

« Reply #1089 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 10:17:27 »
A long shot, 1.5u Meta/Code/Command key? Just like on HHKB. This key never have a chance to appear on GMK :/

Yes this, it would be useful for Mac layouts as well.

For the bottom row, I use 1.25, 1.25, 6.25, 1.5, 1.5
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 March 2017, 10:19:10 by need »

Offline KnightDX

« Reply #1090 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 10:19:34 »
This is a great looking set!

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #1091 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 11:24:08 »
Sorry no OS specific keys. I will think about 1.5u code key. Kinda to much working on two sets at the same time.

Offline need

« Reply #1092 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 11:46:43 »
Sorry no OS specific keys. I will think about 1.5u code key. Kinda to much working on two sets at the same time.

Yes! 1.5 code key would work well.

Offline PLC

« Reply #1093 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 23:53:04 »
I`m ****ing exited. When will it be released?

Offline Theconejo

« Reply #1094 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 00:38:01 »

April

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #1095 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 05:34:00 »

It's okay, meta (diamond) is cool too! At least it isn't Alt nor Ctrl and not illustration novelties.

Offline srang

« Reply #1096 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 08:03:32 »

April
Any idea when in April? April's almost here so I want to know when I can start counting down the days

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #1097 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 08:08:18 »
Any idea when in April? April's almost here so I want to know when I can start counting down the days

Considering Massdrop's current schedule with the whole Ortholinear madness and everything I'd say you have time - the Planck is about to end but the Preonic is starting right after and we don't know yet if Yuri's coming right after that so I'd say counting down the days is not necessary just yet.

Offline colbs

« Reply #1098 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 09:01:56 »

Considering Massdrop's current schedule with the whole Ortholinear madness and everything I'd say you have time - the Planck is about to end but the Preonic is starting right after and we don't know yet if Yuri's coming right after that so I'd say counting down the days is not necessary just yet.

So on the reddit page for GMK Oblivion, spoonyluv47 (who I think is the same person as Tomb3ry here on GH, please correct me if I am wrong) said that Yuri got delayed to May.  Sad news, but my wallet is probably better off for it.

Offline srang

« Reply #1099 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 09:03:04 »

So on the reddit page for GMK Oblivion, spoonyluv47 (who I think is the same person as Tomb3ry here on GH, please correct me if I am wrong) said that Yuri got delayed to May.  Sad news, but my wallet is probably better off for it.
So much sadness