Poll

Which realization of Cyrillics do you prefer?

Double shot single letters
Standard QWERTY with front printed Cyrillics

Author Topic: [IC] YURI R1 GMK (Cherry profile)  (Read 355022 times)

Offline autobot

Re: [IC] YURI R1 GMK (Cherry profile)
« Reply #950 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 08:09:09 »
Silly question, may have been addressed: Would the Cyrillic kit be double shot or pad printed?

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #951 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 08:11:09 »
Doubleshot

Offline autobot

« Reply #952 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 08:24:52 »
Doubleshot

Nice, the kit will look hot with the icon mods kit!

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #953 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 08:42:17 »
Doubleshot

Only buying the cyrillics, icon mods and spacebars (because you will need those), you will still missing some keys like Alt/Controls (for 60%) and arrows/f-row (for tkl). However you can cover a 60% board with several novelty kits, because those got the needed 1.25u row 4 keys.

Offline autobot

« Reply #954 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 09:07:51 »
Correct, I planned on getting said kits along with the base set.

Typing on switches directly hurts!  :D

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #955 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 09:51:47 »
Only buying the cyrillics, icon mods and spacebars (because you will need those), you will still missing some keys like Alt/Controls (for 60%) and arrows/f-row (for tkl). However you can cover a 60% board with several novelty kits, because those got the needed 1.25u row 4 keys.

Yea that's what I'm gonna be doing for my Exent, Cyrillic with icon mods, novelties and the glorious kit for the remainder of the modifier keys that aren't covered by icons - gonna look sick.

Any rough idea on Cyrillic pricing yet? Probably not right?

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #956 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 10:29:19 »
Doubleshot

It still missed some numrow

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #957 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 10:46:10 »
It still missed some numrow

Indeed. All the kits are based around the base kit. The only case in which you can avoid buying base set is the cyrillic planck.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #958 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 10:57:56 »
Oh **** yea, good point, hadn't even realised it didn't have a full num row. All good, I'm sure I'll find a use for the Latin alphas/text mods that the base kit has somewhere!

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #959 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 11:01:04 »
Oh **** yea, good point, hadn't even realised it didn't have a full num row. All good, I'm sure I'll find a use for the Latin alphas/text mods that the base kit has somewhere!

Honestly i think about adding "missing" keys into icon mods and cyrillics. Its just a few caps but they would encourage people, who want just the cyrillics or icon mods to mix with other sets, to participate. Thus enhance the chance for these niche kits to tip.

Offline pomk

« Reply #960 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 11:17:05 »
Do it!  :thumb:

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #961 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 12:06:46 »

Honestly i think about adding "missing" keys into icon mods and cyrillics. Its just a few caps but they would encourage people, who want just the cyrillics or icon mods to mix with other sets, to participate. Thus enhance the chance for these niche kits to tip.

That would help a lot I feel, a lot of people have just 60 and 40% keyboards that will do just fine with the setup you suggested - adding the missing kids into mods/cyrillic will for sure drive up sales a fair amount.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #962 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 22:36:55 »

Dude that's awesome decision. Icon mod, Cyrillic, 2u convex, COLEMAK, and now complete icon and Cyrillic. You know, at first I just wanna get Cyrillic + DoxOrtho for my Planck and now I wanna get them ALL  :-\

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #963 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 23:12:59 »

Dude that's awesome decision. Icon mod, Cyrillic, 2u convex, COLEMAK, and now complete icon and Cyrillic. You know, at first I just wanna get Cyrillic + DoxOrtho for my Planck and now I wanna get them ALL  :-\

I think this set will hold it's value quite well, so if you are on the fence I say go for it! It's like an investment lol.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #964 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 01:05:27 »
May I suggest you make the ctrl alt and code on icon too? I know it never happen on GMK but I think this is the chance for them to have the mold.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #965 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 22:14:48 »
Can't wait for this to go. It's such a magnificent color scheme and all of the options make it perfect for filling out several things I have planned.

Any ideas on pricing for the base and the other kits? I might need 2 base kits ;D to go with all of the child kits....

Offline owacle

« Reply #966 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 22:21:50 »
I hope this drops soon! It's a beauty

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #967 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 23:17:29 »
Recently learned Yuri is actually LightBlue/Orange and Darkblue/Orange. I thought it was white/grey instead of the blues! Pictures don't do it justice it seems. This set is going to be dope
There is no such thing as "too much orange."

Offline ski_

« Reply #968 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 23:26:50 »
I'm in for this for sure.  Love the Cyrillic-- duel English legends would be great, but I'll take anything with this color scheme!

May I assume I'll see a note on here when this goes live for a GB? 
I have only done GBs on Massdrop before... 
Is there a limit to how many will be produced?

« Last Edit: Mon, 27 February 2017, 19:04:41 by ski_ »

Offline maximm

« Reply #969 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 03:41:55 »

Do it! Most people wont mind a few duplicate keys.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #970 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 04:16:46 »
May I suggest you make the ctrl alt and code on icon too? I know it never happen on GMK but I think this is the chance for them to have the mold.

This is a good suggestion. I was almost ready to make it. However making just the Control and Alt as icons will also require making other keys as icon mods. For example "pg up" and "pg dn". Though it will work just fine for 60%. I guess more people prefer just "Control" and "Alt" keys as they are always sold with icon mods.

In general it must be done someday but properly. Say all modifers has to be turned into icons. Probably if Skully has plans for a GMK Modern Selectric.

Do it!  :thumb:
Do it! Most people wont mind a few duplicate keys.
Reading these both comments, i think about a meme.....

I'll do it!  ;)

Offline pomk

« Reply #971 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 06:30:47 »
Make (y)our dreams come true!

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #972 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 07:51:42 »
Yeah at the end of the day having all modifier on icon is comforting. But I think we can do it step by step. If Yuri provide at least to cover 60 for now, the next keyset only need to make the TKL and we are done.

Speaking of 60, there are 4 modifiers that don't have icon only yet: control, alt, code (yes there's winkey but..), and escape. Tab, shift, enter, backspace, menu and capslock already have icon only. I recommend following Granite icon mod for reference, which use meta icon (◇) for winkey/code and mac-style control (⌃) for simpler design approach.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #973 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 08:43:45 »

Offline Cropzy

• Topre is love, topre is life.
« Reply #974 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 09:12:06 »
This may very well be the endgame set for me.
good feeling of oneness with cup rubber

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #975 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 09:21:38 »
Yeah at the end of the day having all modifier on icon is comforting. But I think we can do it step by step. If Yuri provide at least to cover 60 for now, the next keyset only need another some more to cover the TKL and we are done.

Speaking of 60, there are 4 modifiers that don't have icon only yet: control, alt, code (yes there's winkey but..), and escape. Tab, shift, enter, backspace, menu and capslock already have icon only. I recommend following Granite icon mod for reference, which use meta icon (◇) for winkey/code and mac-style control (⌃) for simpler design approach.

Offline pomk

« Reply #976 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 09:32:06 »
(yes there's winkey but..)
For this set the winkey is the way to go IMO as the cyrillic layout used in the set is the so called 'Windows' layout anyway. Apple uses another layout for its devices afaik.

edit: see: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MLA22RU/A/magic-keyboard-russian
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 February 2017, 09:36:24 by pomk »

Offline ehmlis

« Reply #977 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 10:46:16 »
(yes there's winkey but..)
For this set the winkey is the way to go IMO as the cyrillic layout used in the set is the so called 'Windows' layout anyway. Apple uses another layout for its devices afaik.

edit: see: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MLA22RU/A/magic-keyboard-russian

As far as I can tell, the only real differences between the Standard Russian Mac layout and the Windows layout are the punctuation and the letter Ё. I may be biased, because I don't like the look of winkeys, but I don't think the punctuation difference warrants the scrapping of potential OS neutral keys, and IIRC you can change the Russian software layout on a Mac to behave just like the Windows one.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 February 2017, 11:12:36 by ehmlis »

Offline pomk

« Reply #978 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 10:49:29 »
its also ISO (master race) and has one more key and 7-8 are different in some way  :eek:
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 February 2017, 10:52:49 by pomk »

Offline ehmlis

« Reply #979 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 10:54:01 »
Nothing is stopping you from using the ISO enter from the base set or icon mods set with the cyrillics.

Edit: When I said punctuation, I forgot to include the other differences in the numrow, I meant those as well.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 February 2017, 10:55:51 by ehmlis »

Offline pomk

« Reply #980 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 10:54:53 »
No, but it IS different by a larger margin than ISO UK is from ANSI. You can also use windows mods on other systems btw, in this case they even have some historical merit.

Offline ehmlis

« Reply #981 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 10:58:21 »
That's true, I won't argue with that, but I would still be happy to see OS neutral icon mod keys.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #982 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 13:37:08 »
Front page has been updated.

Base kit
- ISO DE (><| and '#) keys have been moved to international kit instead added an |\ key for row 4 as filler for pseudo iso. In short you want a proper ISO? Get the international kit and support your ISO fellows!

Cyrillic kit
- Added missing number keys. Now it is possible avoid base set for making cyrillic ergodox, plank or 60% board with icon mods. Keep in mind all the child deals will be unlocked only after base kit shows some impressive numbers!

International kit
- Migrated missing ISO DE keys (><| and '#) from base kit.

Icon mods kit
- Added escape keys and bottom row keys (alt, fn, control, etc...) as icons. It is now possible to avoid base set and cover a cyrillic 60% board with icon mods.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #983 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 13:52:58 »
Keep in mind all the child deals will be unlocked only after base kit shows some impressive numbers!

what does that mean? once base set meets MOQ? 500? 1000? what is the number?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #984 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 14:14:38 »
Keep in mind all the child deals will be unlocked only after base kit shows some impressive numbers!

what does that mean? once base set meets MOQ? 500? 1000? what is the number?

Certain amount of sold base kits after cerain amount of time. Its the same as it was done with plum. The child deals for plum were unlocked after 24 hours the base kit has been released.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #985 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 14:41:03 »
Certain amount of sold base kits after cerain amount of time. Its the same as it was done with plum. The child deals for plum were unlocked after 24 hours the base kit has been released.

Yea if it's the same amount as Plum or even a little bit more I'm sure it'll unlock within a day at the very most once again - it's a good plan and thank you for adjusting the kits, the changes you made are very considerate and they'll surely help the Cyrillic and icon mod kits see the success they deserve.

Offline poolside

« Reply #986 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 14:53:42 »
The day Yuri drops is going to be a good one. So many kits!

Front page has been updated.

Base kit
- ISO DE (><| and '#) keys have been moved to international kit instead added an |\ key for row 4 as filler for pseudo iso. In short you want a proper ISO? Get the international kit and support your ISO fellows!
Show Image

More
Show Image
Nothing to see here, just wondering why the smileys seem to sometimes refuse to display properly.

Yeah! What a pleasant surprise! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

International kit
- Migrated missing ISO DE keys (><| and '#) from base kit.
Show Image

The International kit render still shows one of these R4 \| keycaps that you have added to the Base kit.

Icon mods kit
- Added escape keys and bottom row keys (alt, fn, control, etc...) as icons. It is now possible to avoid base set and cover a cyrillic 60% board with icon mods.
Show Image

I like some diamonds! :)

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #987 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 15:15:34 »
The International kit render still shows one of these R4 \| keycaps that you have added to the Base kit.

Yeah i need to take it out of base kit or replace it with just a blank. Thanks for the catch  :thumb:

Offline megaforce

« Reply #988 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 16:16:03 »
RIP W8 keys.
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline poolside

« Reply #989 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 16:30:55 »

Yeah i need to take it out of base kit or replace it with just a blank. Thanks for the catch  :thumb:

Don't you mean taking that duplicate out of the Intl kit instead? The base kit is going to keep its two R3 and R4 \| keycaps, right?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #990 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 16:36:59 »

Don't you mean taking that duplicate out of the Intl kit instead? The base kit is going to keep its two R3 and R4 \| keycaps, right?

Yeah then either way. Its quite odd having that key for row 3 and 4 but anyway atleast its not dupplicated in intl kit.

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #991 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 17:08:14 »
I don't know if this has been talked about at all, but is there any possibility that the hhkb backspace that is part of the icon mod kit can be changed to the simple right arrow? It matches the other backspace icons and looks much cleaner than the other chunky, blocky backspace that is in the renders right now IMO.

Offline ricyuyc

« Reply #992 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 17:37:55 »
I don't know if this has been talked about at all, but is there any possibility that the hhkb backspace that is part of the icon mod kit can be changed to the simple right arrow? It matches the other backspace icons and looks much cleaner than the other chunky, blocky backspace that is in the renders right now IMO.
why not have them both? There may be some ppl like me would love to have the boxed icon backspace, that still not easy to get with

Offline poolside

« Reply #993 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 17:39:44 »

Yeah then either way. Its quite odd having that key for row 3 and 4 but anyway atleast its not dupplicated in intl kit.

Great!  :)

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #994 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 22:08:33 »
Icon mods kit
Show Image

So we are going Modern Selectric approach for the icon?
Personally I prefer the Granite icon because they represent the meaning more universal.

⎋ for escape
⌥ for Alt
⋀ for Control
◇ for meta/super/win/cmd
for menu (or use current GMK menu)
layer icon for function

161627-1
161629-2

More info is here http://xahlee.info/comp/unicode_computing_symbols.html

If you keep prefer the Modern Selectric approach, I suggest make the proportion to balance each other more. The triangle and circle is looks bigger because it have filling although they may have the same height with the others. But again, I prefer the more universal icon like Granite did :)

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #995 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 22:14:28 »
[doubled]
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 February 2017, 20:40:37 by jebbra »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #996 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 16:09:20 »
First page has been updated.

International kit
- "/|" key has been removed. Its available in base kit as filler for iso.

Icon mods kit
- Added new icons in close cherry font style (see escape and alt keys)
- There will be no os specific keys.
- HHKB Backspace is now just an back arrow.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 February 2017, 16:11:09 by T0mb3ry »

Offline imprevade

« Reply #997 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 16:16:24 »
This set is really shaping up nicely. It will likely be my first GMK set.

Offline ehmlis

« Reply #998 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 17:11:37 »
I'm happy to see that this set just gets better and better.  ;D

Offline Damonskv

« Reply #999 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 17:26:29 »
International kit in plum, ordered only 36 people, shame. But disputes in each IC so much