Poll

Which realization of Cyrillics do you prefer?

Double shot single letters
Standard QWERTY with front printed Cyrillics

Author Topic: [IC] YURI R1 GMK (Cherry profile)  (Read 356275 times)

Offline kolashnikov

Re: [IC] YURI R1 GMK (Cherry profile)
« Reply #550 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 19:13:52 »
oh lordy  :eek:

Yes its the orange legends.
Here is just the blue version. And it look far better. The orange letters go well only with single letters. Now that a lesson :)
Show Image

This seems better.  :thumb:

Maybe triple-shot dark latin and orange cyrillic legends would fit better with your original vision? I'd imagine that would make the set very pricey though.

That would be my dream :)
Show Image

Offline tmk1207

• Yêu Màu Tím
    • Vietnam Mechanical Keyboard Club <3
« Reply #551 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 21:59:17 »
Take my money :(

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #552 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 22:03:03 »
I really like the original symbols, specially the tilde with strong curves and the wide numeral symbol, which are like trade marks of Cherry sets, that are not featured anywhere else; without them, GMK fonts would look sadly common.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 August 2016, 22:20:50 by ideus »

Offline Lost2Frostbite

« Reply #553 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 23:15:46 »
Zambumon just posted a render of this set on Instagram but I don't see it here. Hope they come soon, I love this set.

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #554 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 00:02:39 »
I really like the original symbols, specially the tilde with strong curves and the wide numeral symbol, which are like trade marks of Cherry sets, that are not featured anywhere else; without them, GMK fonts would look sadly common.
I've done only alphabets which can be used for mockups and for production. The few keys with symbols (for example the key with tilde) and cyrillics, must be redone too and as close as possible to original.

Zambumon just posted a render of this set on Instagram but I don't see it here. Hope they come soon, I love this set.

Yeah i got em already. I think the legends are little bit to big. I asked Zambumon to try to make the legends little bit smaller like on cherry profile. Also one version with oragne letters. But here are the renders from Zambumon. Like alsways he is doing an amazing job :)

Offline Jedi

« Reply #555 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 06:55:58 »
Would you consider or is it even possible to make the Cyrillic letters the same red orange color as the modifier legends?

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #556 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 07:24:39 »
Would you consider or is it even possible to make the Cyrillic letters the same red orange color as the modifier legends?
The answer is positive, the Cyrillic can simply pad printed or use triple-shot which we are trying to do here.
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #557 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 08:44:45 »
Yeah i got em already. I think the legends are little bit to big. I asked Zambumon to try to make the legends little bit smaller like on cherry profile. Also one version with oragne letters. But here are the renders from Zambumon. Like alsways he is doing an amazing job :)
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

His renders are awesome, I agree that maybe the legends could be a little smaller to make it look less compact and I'm still a believer in the orange triple shot dream but still, those already look super sick!

Offline Anole

« Reply #558 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 14:30:07 »
I think the cyrillic legends on the GMK set should be the same cyrillic legends on GMK Cyrillic.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #559 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 15:00:16 »
I think the cyrillic legends on the GMK set should be the same cyrillic legends on GMK Cyrillic.

Can you tell me the reason for it?

I can tell you mine. I speak russian and i tell you the original cyrillics on all cherry profiles are ****ed up. They are so bad that they do not even deserve to be printed. Every russian speaking will tell the original cherry cyrillics are hideous and have wrong proportions. Look espacially at Д, У and Й. I wrote such letter when i was in the kindergarden...

It might look cool for people who dont understand russian. But not for ones who have knowledge in russian. Anyway if we do it doubleshot then it should be done properly.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 August 2016, 15:05:28 by T0mb3ry »

Offline Anole

« Reply #560 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 17:00:51 »

I can tell you mine. I speak russian and i tell you the original cyrillics on all cherry profiles are ****ed up. They are so bad that they do not even deserve to be printed. Every russian speaking will tell the original cherry cyrillics are hideous and have wrong proportions. Look espacially at Д, У and Й. I wrote such letter when i was in the kindergarden...

It might look cool for people who dont understand russian. But not for ones who have knowledge in russian. Anyway if we do it doubleshot then it should be done properly.
I understand Bulgarian, which also uses the Cyrillic alphabet. I simply thought that it would be cool to use the OG Cherry Cyrillic legends.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #561 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 17:32:59 »

I understand Bulgarian, which also uses the Cyrillic alphabet. I simply thought that it would be cool to use the OG Cherry Cyrillic legends.

I guess Bulgarian is also a very beautiful language like Russian. However if we take it seriously there is nothing cool about the og cherry cyrillics, since they are very bad. This is an insult to cyrillics because it was made like the designer was on escape from something. That i made here is that cherry cyrillics should be. They match the style of cherry latins because they are based on them. If someone here is thinking he can do it better - then do it, i will only appreciate it.

You can see it as a further development of cherry legends. And if you develop something further then you dont take the errors of previous versions into new versions.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #562 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 18:07:36 »
I guess Bulgarian is also a very beautiful language like Russian. However if we take it seriously there is nothing cool about the og cherry cyrillics, since they are very bad. This is an insult to cyrillics because it was made like the designer was on escape from something. That i made here is that cherry cyrillics should be. They match the style of cherry latins because they are based on them. If someone here is thinking he can do it better - then do it, i will only appreciate it.

You can see it as a further development of cherry legends. And if you develop something further then you dont take the errors of previous versions into new versions.

For what it's worth, I studied Russian for a year back when I was in university and am reasonably familiar with the alphabet - I agree that your rendition of the Cyrillic characters is much more accurate than the standard cherry original and I appreciate the effort you've put in. I would hate to be a native/fluent speaker using a keyboard that depicts legends that are nothing short of incorrect personally.

Спасибо!

Offline Treadstone

« Reply #563 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 18:26:14 »
Could you do modern legends for modifiers?

Offline dyrdevil

« Reply #564 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 19:15:33 »
Your work on this is amazing.
Are you considering an option with only Latin letters for the alphas?

Offline WOMBO

« Reply #565 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 21:26:04 »
i for one am much more a fan of tombery's designs, especially for an expensive set like yuri to begin with

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #566 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 22:35:57 »
If there's an option for latin only alphas & an ergodox add on then count me in.

Offline Pinecone

• Pine Switches
« Reply #567 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 23:34:45 »
Yeah if there was an option for latin only, I'm in, unless GMK could do orange cyrillics and blue latins like that one render from an early comment.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #568 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 03:41:42 »
Hey everybody!

First of all i want to show you these samples.

As you might know i've visited GMK and their production facilities. I've seen the tooling in action which makes the keycaps. The whole process, how the keycaps are done, is fully automated and thus its not just a tool like you've seen it somewhere else. Its a unique and very complex system. So to upgrade this system to be able to trippleshot keycaps they need to invest a lot of money and its a project for a year (if not more). In this regard the tripple shot is most probably not going to happen.
However GMK will check the feasibility of such project and thus there is a small chance the trippleshot caps may become reality. In that case there it will be possible to make only the 1u keycaps trippleshot.

So there are two ways how Yuri will happen.
First is, then the upgrade for tooling will not happen. In that case there will be Yuri just with latin letters. I am not happy how the cyrillics look with doubleshot process. Latins and Cyrillics in one color makes the whole set overloaded. It will not sell. Printing is a "no go" for me either.
Second GMK agrees to upgrade their tooling to trippleshot process, then Yuri will get its cyrillics. In this case Cyrillics look good and make the whole set very appealing.

I hope you can understand my decisions.

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #569 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 03:45:32 »
Fingers crossed for triple shot! I will wait until it happens.
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #570 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 06:50:26 »
Second GMK agrees to upgrade their tooling to trippleshot process, then Yuri will get its cyrillics. In this case Cyrillics look good and make the whole set very appealing.

Fingers crossed for triple shot! I will wait until it happens.

count me in for tripleshot too! the wait will be worth it for me personally, plus I'll have GMK Carbon to busy myself with in the meantime.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #571 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 10:59:43 »
I'd love tripleshot too, Cyrillic makes the set for me. I'd still be in for Latin regardless because the theme is awesome and the colours are great but still, I definitely agree having both in the same colour would look overwhelming. Fingers crossed triple shotting becomes a reality sooner rather than later!

Offline dyrdevil

« Reply #572 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 22:49:53 »
I agree that the double legends in the same color is overwhelming.

The triple shot might not be my thing, but that would be so monumental and gorgeous I'd be happy to see it happen.
If it becomes Latin only, I think this set will look gorgeous regardless and I'll probably be in immediately.

Nice work!

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #573 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 14:39:33 »
i dont understand why double-shot + printing is not an option. GMK has some of the best quality pad printing in the world, i thought we had established that?

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #574 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 14:44:25 »
i dont understand why double-shot + printing is not an option. GMK has some of the best quality pad printing in the world, i thought we had established that?

Maybe have printing as an option? Then everyone can decide for themselves

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #575 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 17:53:14 »

Because no matter how high quality is that print it is still a print and it will go off. If GMK is willing to print cyrrillics optionaly then i have nothing against it. I, for example, want a set without printed cyrillics.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 October 2016, 18:06:06 by T0mb3ry »

Offline Pinecone

• Pine Switches
« Reply #576 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 00:28:53 »
Definitely more interested in triple shots, but if double latins are the final decision, I'd still buy.

Offline Asbrodeus

« Reply #577 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 07:06:27 »
the triple shot renders looked so much better. but if not possible id still buy the latin set.

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #578 on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 07:04:11 »
can this be DSA? DAS DSA  :thumb:

I mean, GMK is ok too, but DSA is bliss :P

either way, I can't miss this set
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 October 2016, 07:07:12 by rioc »

Offline pomk

« Reply #579 on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 11:33:03 »
Have you contacted SP about the possibility of doing triple shots?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #580 on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 15:32:52 »
Have you contacted SP about the possibility of doing triple shots?

Not yet since it will drop in cherry profile first. GMK has already plastic samples. I've posted these samples somewhere above.

Offline armatus

• Ergodox'n'Colemak
« Reply #581 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 01:33:57 »
i'm in in case of
"Double shot single letters"

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #582 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 09:21:49 »
It seems likely that most keyboard aficionados, that understand the value of double shot legends, ala Cherry, may be interested in a GMK triple shot set, even at a premium; however, knowing what that premium may be is important budget-wise. Is there any estimated bracket for the pricing of a triple shot Yuri set? I know it may be a bit too soon to ask, but knowing this may allow people to prepare their wallets and make this GB a successful one. After all, this is an interest check, how we can say I am in with no pricing reference at all.

Offline Data

« Reply #583 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 11:25:59 »
We don't even know if GMK is willing to invest in a tripleshot process.  I imagine it will require much more than just new tooling.  The demand for tripleshot would have to come from more than the enthusiast niche market in order for GMK to see it as a worthy investment.

Sounds like a long shot to me.

If you look at the doubleshot cyrillic renders (further up the page) with fresh eyes, it's still an exceptionally good-looking set.  Don't abandon ship if we learn that tripleshot legends won't be coming to GMK anytime soon.

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #584 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 16:57:31 »
i actually really like the look of the set with the doubleshot keys that have both latin and cyrillic on them.  i'm currently typing this reply on a board with the symbiosis keyset.  that one also has doubleshot keys with two legends on each key, and it still looks gorgeous.

i'd also be perfectly happy with the latin characters doubleshot and the cyrillic characters pad printed provided it was done by GMK.  if the set comes out with just the latin characters i'm not going to be as interested, but i might still pick it up.

here's a crazy idea that has probably never been done before.  any chance we could get the modifiers done by GMK but the alphas done by IMSTO?  you can definitely dyesub more than one character in more than one color...

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #585 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 17:15:22 »
i actually really like the look of the set with the doubleshot keys that have both latin and cyrillic on them.  i'm currently typing this reply on a board with the symbiosis keyset.  that one also has doubleshot keys with two legends on each key, and it still looks gorgeous.

i'd also be perfectly happy with the latin characters doubleshot and the cyrillic characters pad printed provided it was done by GMK.  if the set comes out with just the latin characters i'm not going to be as interested, but i might still pick it up.

here's a crazy idea that has probably never been done before.  any chance we could get the modifiers done by GMK but the alphas done by IMSTO?  you can definitely dyesub more than one character in more than one color...

Dyesublimation printing does not work on ABS, so you will have to mix and match two different types of plastics on keycaps made by two different manufacturer (Gateron is the company who makes the PBT blanks), and even though Gateron blanks are supposed to be exactly the same as Cherry profile, they really are not. The cap is slightly smaller in each direction compared to a true doubleshot Cherry profile keycap (case in point: https://imgur.com/a/449OD)

All in all, it's just a poor idea. I'd much sooner have pad-print than mix and match Gateron PBT with GMK ABS
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline Data

« Reply #586 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 07:03:55 »
Pad printing on the top surface is a deal breaker for me.  Even GMK's premium superbadass pad printing isn't good enough -- it will wear off.  Guaranteed.  End of the line.  I'm not paying the GMK price for a pad-printed anything.  If it's pad printing on the front-facing surface (the non-contact surface) then that would be a suitable compromise, but we haven't really talked about that yet.

Doubleshot or bust.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #587 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 09:45:12 »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #588 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 10:50:37 »
As i said many times before no padprinting on top of keycaps... Go doubleshot or even trippleshot or die trying :)

Offline Data

« Reply #589 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 19:57:17 »
As i said many times before no padprinting on top of keycaps... Go doubleshot or even trippleshot or die trying :)

WOOP!  :thumb:

Offline Lost2Frostbite

« Reply #590 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 23:31:10 »
Good :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #591 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 08:55:59 »
Still waiting for a better camera...

Anyway got today the samples for Yuri. 6 colors and i need to decide which one. Guess i need to look at it in different light conditions.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #592 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 09:28:57 »

Anyway got today the samples for Yuri. 6 colors and i need to decide which one. Guess i need to look at it in different light conditions.
Show Image

1 2 3
4 5 6

I would chose 2, 3, and 6 personally. But I'll wait for more color accurate pictures.

Offline soilheart

« Reply #593 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 09:54:28 »

Show Image

1 2 3
4 5 6

I would chose 2, 3, and 6 personally. But I'll wait for more color accurate pictures.

I agree, my personal opinion is very often the more saturation/contrast the better (with some exceptions).
(K70 -  Brown) --- Pok3r - Clear --- Ducky Shine4 - Clear --- WKL B.face X2 - 67g Zealios --- CP-SQ - 78g Zealios --- RS68 - 62g Zealios
(Sold/retired - To be built)

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #594 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 09:58:51 »

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #595 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 09:59:00 »
235! the 6 looks too red . I remember the original poster of YURI is not that red

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #596 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 10:13:16 »
235! the 6 looks too red . I remember the original poster of YURI is not that red

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk
Huh. I thought 5 looked more orange than 6.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #597 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 10:30:32 »
I would go with 2, 3 and 5 personally, 6 looks a bit too saturated (possibly just because of the picture)
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #598 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 10:32:25 »
2 3 5 from that picture. 6 looks way too red.

Offline luckyryan333

• #There'sNoToolForTyping
« Reply #599 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 19:30:52 »
voted 2, 3, and 5.

How about taking a poll?
No PaiN, No GaiN
More
How to order from Taobao from outside of China and WITHOUT an Agent
daily driver: C70 w/ Oblivion
on the way: d65_12/gmkblk_3