Poll

Which realization of Cyrillics do you prefer?

Double shot single letters
Standard QWERTY with front printed Cyrillics

Author Topic: [IC] YURI R1 GMK (Cherry profile)  (Read 356272 times)

Offline Damonskv

Re: [IC] YURI R1 GMK (Cherry profile)
« Reply #700 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 15:42:20 »
So i guess everybody is ok with the current Base Set? Keep in mind Yuri will drop pretty soonish.... And with a new Year i'll start to work on a new Project.
Show Image

Note there are no 1.5u row 4 Control keys. Instead there are Kosmonauts.
Is the kosmonauts are double shot?

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #701 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 15:45:25 »
So i guess everybody is ok with the current Base Set? Keep in mind Yuri will drop pretty soonish.... And with a new Year i'll start to work on a new Project.
Show Image

Note there are no 1.5u row 4 Control keys. Instead there are Kosmonauts.
Is the kosmonauts are double shot?

Ofcourse  :rolleyes: You know i am highly alergic to top prints... :)

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #702 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 16:17:44 »
Really hoping for non CCCP Win keys! The symbol looks nice but I'd much more prefer text in their place, like Code in Carbon. For a friend of mine it's even the deciding factor for this set. He doesn't dig them at all.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 December 2016, 16:21:00 by Oblotzky »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #703 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 16:30:34 »
Really hoping for non CCCP Win keys! The symbol looks nice but I'd much more prefer text in their place, like Code in Carbon. For a friend of mine it's even the deciding factor for this set. He doesn't dig them at all.

Reasonable and i prefer this actually. You know what, we do it like this. The Kosmonaut goes into novelty kit, which will be only unlocked at specific sales rate. Instead the base kit will get typical "Code" and "Control" 1.5u keys. Novelties are always niche.

Edit and done!
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 December 2016, 16:36:14 by T0mb3ry »

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #704 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 17:01:24 »
Excellent! Hope I won't get hated now ;) I skipped the novelties on Carbon, but I'm looking forward how the ones for this set look like.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #705 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 17:15:42 »

Reasonable and i prefer this actually. You know what, we do it like this. The Kosmonaut goes into novelty kit, which will be only unlocked at specific sales rate. Instead the base kit will get typical "Code" and "Control" 1.5u keys. Novelties are always niche.

Edit and done!
Show Image

Swap the R2 + and the R3 - and the set is perfect!

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #706 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 17:16:42 »
Excellent! Hope I won't get hated now ;) I skipped the novelties on Carbon, but I'm looking forward how the ones for this set look like.

Just a bit. It seems the proponents of Code keys are always the most vocal. I like my windows logo and novelty icon win keys. Sometimes I wonder why people who favor Code aren't made to pay extra for them instead of those who want the windows logo or a novelty icon. Oh well, Code keys are not the end of the world for me.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #707 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 17:22:09 »
Not fussed personally, the code keys are fine and I rather them than most windows logos - I do like the Kosmonaut very much though and would've preferred to have it had stay in the base kit, then again I'm most definitely buying in on the novelties regardless so unless MOQ for that somehow isn't met (which I doubt) all is well.

Offline dsaf

« Reply #708 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 17:33:47 »
Does Massdrop charge $1'000'000 to prevent including novelties as a child kit on the original drop? If Carbon GMK had novelties and ISO straight away two things could've happened: 1) child kits wouldn't meet MOQ and no problem would be whatsoever apart from time spent designing them; 2) a lot more people would buy it including me.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #709 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 17:53:58 »
Does Massdrop charge $1'000'000 to prevent including novelties as a child kit on the original drop? If Carbon GMK had novelties and ISO straight away two things could've happened: 1) child kits wouldn't meet MOQ and no problem would be whatsoever apart from time spent designing them; 2) a lot more people would buy it including me.

Uhm thats not MD's but my decision. I dont know how Yuri will sell so i am just cautious. Base set is the main thing to happen. Everything else does not matter. If i'll see acceptable sale dynamic, i'll give you all the optional kits you've seen in Carbon drop. Sure MOQ is important but if Yuri sells say only 150 sets thus barelly hitting MOQ then the other child deals will never hit their MOQ and ISO kit especially. I want to see how the base set goes first. The child kits will be unlocked during the drop. And if so the drop's timeline may be extended. You have to know: hyping keysets and selling those are two different stories.

Sure Zambu but can you explain me in short why? Just currious. Its only used for 1800ish layouts but i assume there are other needs.

Offline dsaf

« Reply #710 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 17:59:51 »
The child kits will be unlocked during the drop. And if so the drop's timeline may be extended.

That makes a lot of sense and is a lot more transparent! I wouldn't be surprised to see a few mini-spikes of sells in the end - one for novelties and one for internationals.

You have to know: hyping keysets and selling those are two different stories.

I am sure there are considerations I don't realise.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #711 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 19:12:04 »
Sure Zambu but can you explain me in short why? Just currious. Its only used for 1800ish layouts but i assume there are other needs.

If those keycaps are intended to be used by 1800 users, the + should be a R3.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #712 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 00:02:03 »

If those keycaps are intended to be used by 1800 users, the + should be a R3.

Show Image

Can't explain how i mixed those :-X Will fix it :)

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #713 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 00:08:50 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 December 2016, 00:17:30 by e_l_tang »

Offline renzpwns

• I didn't like money in my wallet anyways.
« Reply #714 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 03:07:26 »
Been following this set for a while now and I am still totally in, even the novelty kit just for the hammer and sickle key.

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #715 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 03:33:40 »
Any chance we can get two of the Ctrl an Alt 1u keys? I know a few layouts that need more than just one of each

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #716 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 04:04:36 »
Any chance we can get two of the Ctrl an Alt 1u keys? I know a few layouts that need more than just one of each

yes please.... add 1u ctrl and 1u alt, this would allow compatibility with modern g80-1800

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #717 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 06:08:27 »
wait... I almost forgot; what's happening with the cyrillic? gonna be an addon kit? (maybe that including novelties?)

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #718 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 06:39:17 »
wait... I almost forgot; what's happening with the cyrillic? gonna be an addon kit? (maybe that including novelties?)

I believe T0mb3ry last stated that there may be Cyrillic alphas in a separate addon kit (not the same as the novelties I think) if the base set does well enough to warrant it. I'd love that to happen personally as I am a big fan of alternative alphabets without Latin sub (or main) legends but I guess we'll have to see if it ends up happening, I don't doubt Yuri's success at all though.

Offline rioc

« Reply #719 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 07:06:28 »

I believe T0mb3ry last stated that there may be Cyrillic alphas in a separate addon kit (not the same as the novelties I think) if the base set does well enough to warrant it. I'd love that to happen personally as I am a big fan of alternative alphabets without Latin sub (or main) legends but I guess we'll have to see if it ends up happening, I don't doubt Yuri's success at all though.

well... I'm most certainly ordering, so lets hope for a soon appearance of cyrillic alphas with MoQ reached ;)

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #720 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 11:50:22 »

Yes sure. I'll add those with the next update.

Depending on the sales dynamic i can offer cyrillics as addon. But you have to know it will be only cyrillics (no latin legends) doubleshot alphas and trust me they will cost a fortune. Quite an experiment.

Offline Damonskv

« Reply #721 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 12:15:21 »

Depending on the sales dynamic i can offer cyrillics as addon. But you have to know it will be only cyrillics (no latin legends) doubleshot alphas and trust me they will cost a fortune. Quite an experiment.
Yes, please make it happen))))

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #722 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 12:17:07 »

Do the legends already exist? Quite curious about why they should cost more.... And if you have any idea about an approximative cost.

Offline johuu

« Reply #723 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 12:32:09 »

Edit and done!
Show Image

Is it possible to add a stepped control key?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #724 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 12:40:59 »
Do the legends already exist? Quite curious about why they should cost more.... And if you have any idea about an approximative cost.

The are no keys with cyrillics available . They have to be made first. Thus it will cost something. But you know its something. Also i've developed proper cyrillics which suits available cherry font:

Uhm quite odd. I thought already of this few times... Do you have any pics for such exotic key? Just curious if that mold is available.

Offline dsaf

« Reply #725 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 13:01:18 »
But you have to know it will be only cyrillics (no latin legends) doubleshot alphas and trust me they will cost a fortune. Quite an experiment.

They will cost a fortune but only the first time? Would they be able to re-use the process for all different future sets?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #726 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 13:06:51 »
But you have to know it will be only cyrillics (no latin legends) doubleshot alphas and trust me they will cost a fortune. Quite an experiment.

They will cost a fortune but only the first time? Would they be able to re-use the process for all different future sets?

Ofcourse, once they are made everybody can use them for their own sets.

Offline johuu

« Reply #727 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 13:07:51 »

Uhm quite odd. I thought already of this few times... Do you have any pics for such exotic key? Just curious if that mold is available.

For example it is included in hyperfuse (see final mockup) https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68198.0.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #728 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 14:44:45 »
Current iteration:

For example it is included in hyperfuse (see final mockup) https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68198.0.
;)

yes please.... add 1u ctrl and 1u alt, this would allow compatibility with modern g80-1800

:thumb:

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #729 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 14:49:46 »

Yea they may cost too much for most people but it'd be a fun experiment at least - do you have any estimation, no matter how rough, of how much that'd cost to supply them with the right molds etc for proper Cyrillic?

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #730 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 15:00:30 »
Why don't Cyrillic legends exist? Did Cherry just never make any keyboards for the countries that use Cyrillic?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #731 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 15:10:46 »

Yea they may cost too much for most people but it'd be a fun experiment at least - do you have any estimation, no matter how rough, of how much that'd cost to supply them with the right molds etc for proper Cyrillic?

Just the cyrillics alphas might cost between 110 and 150$. Thats my estimate. For the current state this is the realistic price range. Take it with grain of salt, cuz you know its my rule of thumb estimate. However the things may change and it might get cheaper pricing.

Why don't Cyrillic legends exist? Did Cherry just never make any keyboards for the countries that use Cyrillic?
Cherry has never done doubleshot Cyrillics. They've printed it. However the OG Cherry Cyrillics are wrong.

Offline johuu

« Reply #732 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 15:19:11 »
Current iteration:
Show Image

;)

Thanks a lot :thumb:

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #733 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 15:30:57 »
Just the cyrillics alphas might cost between 110 and 150$. Thats my estimate. For the current state this is the realistic price range. Take it with grain of salt, cuz you know its my rule of thumb estimate. However the things may change and it might get cheaper pricing.

I appreciate the estimation, I think at around $100 it might actually get a fair bit of attention (I'd still buy it at $150 personally) - definitely not cheap for a set of alphas but a different alphabet doubleshot by GMK might be something that actually attracts many more than just natives or people that speak/are learning Russian (like myself), since it will be something very unique.

Thank you for considering the kit still, either way!
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 December 2016, 16:50:26 by Vigrith »

Offline Damonskv

« Reply #734 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 16:08:42 »

I appreciate the estimation, I think at around $100 it might actually get a fair bit of attention (I'd still buy it at $150 personally) - definitely not cheap for a set of alphas but a different alphabet doubleshot by GMK might be something that actually attracts many more than just natives or people that speak/are learning Russian (like myself), since it will be something very unique.

Thank you for considering the kit still, either way!
As a Russian native can explain why, unfortunately, the keys only with the Cyrillic alphabet is extremely risky, historically, interaction with the computer was through a command line interface, where acceptable was only the Latin names of the files in the file system and commands, etc. Even now, for example, the vast majority of domain names of Internet sites require you to enter the Latin alphabet, that is absolutely always required to use both methods of input. The reason to use only Cyrillic can only be aesthetic, even in Russian you can count on very few. Because not all are blind-typists. Thanks for trying, I hope that the uniqueness of these keys will be able to attract not only Russian-speaking. T0mb3ry,  you're the best, keep trying

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #735 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 19:10:55 »
Cyrillics only!
If you can't touch type you don't deserve this glorious set :p

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #736 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 20:00:16 »
As a Russian native can explain why, unfortunately, the keys only with the Cyrillic alphabet is extremely risky, historically, interaction with the computer was through a command line interface, where acceptable was only the Latin names of the files in the file system and commands, etc. Even now, for example, the vast majority of domain names of Internet sites require you to enter the Latin alphabet, that is absolutely always required to use both methods of input. The reason to use only Cyrillic can only be aesthetic, even in Russian you can count on very few. Because not all are blind-typists. Thanks for trying, I hope that the uniqueness of these keys will be able to attract not only Russian-speaking. T0mb3ry,  you're the best, keep trying

Yes, very true. I am not native but I've been learning Russian for about a year now and having a set with full Cyrillic would legitimately help me get used to it I feel. I also hope it attracts others than just Russian-speaking natives, I'm sure it will if the double shot happens so I hope pricing is as tame as possible so that everyone who truly wants it can get in on it.

The characters T0mb3ry designed are amazing and I truly do hope it comes to be and that people are interested in it!

Offline Jedi

« Reply #737 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 23:49:11 »

Oh yes please.  Say after a certain number of kits are sold, bam, add a Cyrillic add-on kit, but hmmm...  I see what you mean, you would definitely need to gauge interest during the GB/drop to see how many will buy.

We need this just to mark one of the few, if only true double shot Cyrillic legends ever produced by GMK.   :thumb: So over the dye sub land of cap legends. :mad:

Offline rioc

« Reply #738 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 01:44:19 »

that's perfect... don't need double legends... makes the set more authentic with cyrillic only :)

WAAANT ;P

Offline Kradev113

« Reply #739 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 02:14:46 »
Man... how long has it been... I don't mean to pressure you or anything, it's just a bit sad to see keysets after keysets keep being pumped out, yet my favourite one still remain an IC. I actually created this GH account because I saw this thread back when it was still in SA. Still, really looking forward to it though, even if it's cyrillic only i'll still buy it.

Offline Damonskv

« Reply #740 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 03:27:54 »

Cherry has never done doubleshot Cyrillics. They've printed it. However the OG Cherry Cyrillics are wrong.
T0mb3ry, make a poll, make it known in the OP. Can even on Massdrop, it will give you at least some information, about whether to do this now, and a little to prepare people, it can be a very original proposal, many may like it if you declare this option a little more loudly

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #741 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 04:14:53 »
Current iteration:
Show Image

;)

:thumb:

Thanks for adding them!

Offline orpheo

« Reply #742 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 07:41:09 »
I love this set but I wonder why is there so much space swimming pool theme on the KB scene! Next a moon landing theme? NASA wants youngsters to believe!

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #743 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 07:49:23 »
I love this set but I wonder why is there so much space swimming pool theme on the KB scene! Next a moon landing theme? NASA wants youngsters to believe!
Godspeed was inspired by the Apollo program logo, I believe, so technically there already has been a moon landing-themed set.

Offline neon_tom

« Reply #744 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 07:51:58 »
Any chance to add a 1u R4 End cap for 65%/75% compatibility? So that we can have this strip down the right side:

Home
PgUp
PgDn
End

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #745 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 12:36:52 »
Any chance to add a 1u R4 End cap for 65%/75% compatibility? So that we can have this strip down the right side:

Home
PgUp
PgDn
End

Reasonable. I missed 1u row4 "end" key too. Will add in next iteration.

Offline onmybikedrunk

• Danny Woods - Industrial Designer
« Reply #746 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 12:55:58 »
Wow.  That 75% support is awesome.  This would look so good on my blue/grey Duck Octagon V2.

Offline stillzman

« Reply #747 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 14:25:33 »
Can't wait for this!

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #748 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 16:48:36 »
Just to show you the pure cyrillic alphas as mockup.

Offline thad

« Reply #749 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 16:50:20 »
Very nice. Not for me, but they look good