Poll

Which realization of Cyrillics do you prefer?

Double shot single letters
Standard QWERTY with front printed Cyrillics

Author Topic: [IC] YURI R1 GMK (Cherry profile)  (Read 356794 times)

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
Re: [IC] YURI R1 GMK (Cherry profile)
« Reply #1000 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 17:46:47 »
International kit in plum, ordered only 36 people, shame. But disputes in each IC so much

Its always like this. You know hype does not cost a penny. Same for votes etc. There is like no constants there you can predict the outcome. Anyway its better to give atleast the opportunity :)

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #1001 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 17:48:44 »
Icon kit is looking sick.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1002 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 17:56:08 »
Very interesting new icons.

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #1003 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 03:16:35 »
please... please do not remove this icon.

Offline Che.R.Ry

• geeks
« Reply #1004 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 03:43:29 »
any idea of estimated price for each kit? :-[

Offline pomk

« Reply #1005 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 03:54:11 »
International kit in plum, ordered only 36 people, shame. But disputes in each IC so much

Its always like this. You know hype does not cost a penny. Same for votes etc. There is like no constants there you can predict the outcome. Anyway its better to give atleast the opportunity :)
I was charged for the plum international kit.  :p

Lets hope that YURI makes it too  :thumb:

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #1006 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 05:16:23 »

First page has been updated.

International kit
- "/|" key has been removed. Its available in base kit as filler for iso.
Show Image

Icon mods kit
- Added new icons in close cherry font style (see escape and alt keys)
- There will be no os specific keys.
- HHKB Backspace is now just an back arrow.
Show Image

Are those icon modifiers double shot?
Ducky Shine 2 (MX Blue, white backlight) • Obins Anne Pro (Gateron Brown) • Model M • XD60

Offline mathiasn

« Reply #1007 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 07:57:36 »

Can you shed some light on the Carbon International Massdrop?
From all I can see, this was ordered only 68 times
(I received mine in good order, so thank you T0mb3ry and MD).
Did Massdrop stock the additional ones to reach MOQ?

I see it's really difficult to get enough International interest (e.g. Terminal or Plum).

How's not reaching the "International" MOQ to be handled for YURI?
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 March 2017, 10:38:41 by mathiasn »

Offline mniels

« Reply #1008 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 08:27:13 »
Please. Make. This. Happen.

Offline colbs

« Reply #1009 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 08:36:20 »
Does anyone have any plans for builds (layout, case color/material, plate, lighting, etc.) using Yuri they would like to share?  I know I am going to buy this set, but I am struggling to decide on the keyboard to build around the keycaps, as the colorway is so unique.  I am hoping you fine folks can provide me with some inspiration!

Offline thad

« Reply #1010 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 08:45:06 »
Does anyone have any plans for builds (layout, case color/material, plate, lighting, etc.) using Yuri they would like to share?  I know I am going to buy this set, but I am struggling to decide on the keyboard to build around the keycaps, as the colorway is so unique.  I am hoping you fine folks can provide me with some inspiration!

I am hoping to get in on the Duck Lightsaver V3 and put this on it. If not, it will go on my Pok3r or QFR TKL.

Offline colbs

« Reply #1011 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 08:54:27 »
I am hoping to get in on the Duck Lightsaver V3 and put this on it. If not, it will go on my Pok3r or QFR TKL.

I am thinking I will probably put in on a 60% as well, but I am torn on if I want to switch the plate and case to better match the set.  I normally just do silver or black plates and cases, but I can't picture whether yuri will look good with those...that pale blue for the alphas is really lovely, but I don't know what color case/plate it would look best with.

P.S. good luck on getting into the Lightsaver, that board looks really sweet!

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1012 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 10:04:32 »
It's a difficult colorway to pair in my opinion. I think a dark blue (barely exists in the case world) would be best, followed by a space gray.  Not a big fan or black and blue and I think silver might clash a little with the light blue mods.
keyboards.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #1013 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 10:39:49 »

With black (look at all mockups on black background), gray and silver you cant go wrong. But if you want a perfect build you need to go for matching color combos for case, plate and optionaly for other parts like middle piece (for example Revo D keyboard has a middle piace).

I've ordered Revo D keyboard in custom colors (matched for Yuri). Deep blue top and bottom pieces. Oragne plate and middle piece. In my opinion light blue would be superior but its already something to start with.

Can you shed some light on the Carbon International Massdrop?
From all I can see, this was ordered only 68 times
(I received mine in good order, so thank you T0mb3ry and MD).
Did Massdrop stock the additional ones to reach MOC?

I see it's really difficult to get enough International interest (e.g. Terminal or Plum).

How's not reaching the "International" MOC to be handled for YURI?

I cant promisse Yuri's Intl kit to tip. Plum's and Carbon's intl kit tipping was more of effort of GMK and Massdrop for wich ISO users (who participated) can be thankfull.

Keep in mind GMK makes an exception for intl kit which has always moq of 100 compared to 150. That displays how friendly GMK is towards ISO community.

In the end the intl kit depends on ISO participants. If Massdrop steps into, i cant promisse too. Better hope for ISO community to expand.

First page has been updated.

International kit
- "/|" key has been removed. Its available in base kit as filler for iso.
Show Image

Icon mods kit
- Added new icons in close cherry font style (see escape and alt keys)
- There will be no os specific keys.
- HHKB Backspace is now just an back arrow.
Show Image

Are those icon modifiers double shot?

Everything is doubleshot, except "SysRq" and "Break" frontprints in base set, which i've forgot to add :/

Show Image

I'll look into it. Keep in mind that icon looks little bit weird because it seems to look off center (which is actually is not but the weight of the icon leans towards one side stronger).

Offline imprevade

« Reply #1014 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 11:23:08 »

Show Image

I'll look into it. Keep in mind that icon looks little bit weird because it seems to look off center (which is actually is not but the weight of the icon leans towards one side stronger).

That's why you place the icon in the visual center, and not the actual center.  ;)

Offline HerrGartenzwerg

« Reply #1015 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 14:23:37 »
I am looking for a GMK set with proper ISO/DE compatability for quite a while.
Im not a big fan of the orange color choice.. but if the international kit will be produced, Im definetely in!

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #1016 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 17:53:32 »
Hey hey,

after a conversation with a member "jebbra" i've decided to revisit the symbols for alt, control, fn, super and escape keys. Jebbra pointed out, since he is a big fan of icons, that the symbols should have the same left alignment as other keys. Also the size btw the scale of icons should match other keys. In that case i agree with jebbra. So kudos to jebbra for pointing that out and taking actively part in that IC. I appreciate it :)

First picture is made to display how the new icons complement each other in case of dimensions and angles. The thickness of each line is approximate the same width as the line of the arrows on a real gmk key (it was scanned before).

Now the icon mods kit using the new icons. Now keep in mind the top surface of keycap is actually little bit taller, as it has the shape of a rectangle, than my mockups.

Offline thad

« Reply #1017 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 17:59:06 »
Nice change. I'm still in for one

Offline ricyuyc

« Reply #1018 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 18:25:39 »
Hey hey,

after a conversation with a member "jebbra" i've decided to revisit the symbols for alt, control, fn, super and escape keys. Jebbra pointed out, since he is a big fan of icons, that the symbols should have the same left alignment as other keys. Also the size btw the scale of icons should match other keys. In that case i agree with jebbra. So kudos to jebbra for pointing that out and taking actively part in that IC. I appreciate it :)

First picture is made to display how the new icons complement each other in case of dimensions and angles. The thickness of each line is approximate the same width as the line of the arrows on a real gmk key (it was scanned before).
Show Image

Now the icon mods kit using the new icons. Now keep in mind the top surface of keycap is actually little bit taller, as it has the shape of a rectangle, than my mockups.
Show Image

For 1u mods, I think the icons (not punctuation) in center alignment would look better, then align the left indent on other 1.25 and other length icon mods to inline with 1u
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 March 2017, 18:34:57 by ricyuyc »

Offline ehmlis

« Reply #1019 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 18:31:55 »
Hey hey,

Show Image

Show Image

For 1u mods, I think the icons (not punctuation) in center alignment would look better, then align the left indent on other 1.25 and other length icon mods to inline with 1u
+1

I saw another thing, the arrows on the tab key in the icon mod kit don't match. Is it supposed to look like that?

Everything else is looking good!
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 March 2017, 18:35:53 by ehmlis »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #1020 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 00:03:12 »
Hey hey,

Show Image

Show Image

+1

I saw another thing, the arrows on the tab key in the icon mod kit don't match. Is it supposed to look like that?

Everything else is looking good!

Ignore other symbols, these are just for display which key it is. If i start to replicate each cherry symbol.... You know it will take some time  :))

The only keys you should look for are with the new symbols.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #1021 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 08:56:31 »
Time?  Time?!  There is no such thing.  The time for Yuri is now, pls. >:D
Let's see:
Layout compatibility?  Done!
Cyrillic font in double-shot painstakingly worked to perfect the font?  Done!
Custom colors vetted, ordered, discussed, and still rethought?  Done!
Other detals too numerous to mention?  Done!

The work is impeccable, what else is there?  :p

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #1022 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 14:07:10 »
Let's see:

hype. all is for nothing if the masses do not buy

Offline Meitachi

• Je sui prest
« Reply #1023 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 14:13:44 »
Let's see:

hype. all is for nothing if the masses do not buy

So very true. Gotta put your money where your mouth is. Or, in this case, where your posts are.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1024 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 14:22:46 »
Now keep in mind the top surface of keycap is actually little bit taller,

Are they taller than regular GMK key caps? Or you meant it just as a clarification on your renders.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #1025 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 17:57:34 »
Now keep in mind the top surface of keycap is actually little bit taller,

Are they taller than regular GMK key caps? Or you meant it just as a clarification on your renders.

Its just clarification for my mockups. Everyone should take those with grain of salt, since those have purpose to display only the kit content. And previously i wanted just to point out that the keys (irl) are slightly taller than displayed in my mockups.

Offline satricion

« Reply #1026 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 18:53:18 »

I am thinking I will probably put in on a 60% as well, but I am torn on if I want to switch the plate and case to better match the set.  I normally just do silver or black plates and cases, but I can't picture whether yuri will look good with those...that pale blue for the alphas is really lovely, but I don't know what color case/plate it would look best with.

I think that it's always safest to go for a more low key colour on the case and plate if you're going to use a set like this. It's very hard to match colours with the colours in the set as well without the board looking too bright. I would go for a black or perhaps a grey base, lowkey plate, and then this on top.

Offline colbs

« Reply #1027 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 19:04:39 »

I think that it's always safest to go for a more low key colour on the case and plate if you're going to use a set like this. It's very hard to match colours with the colours in the set as well without the board looking too bright. I would go for a black or perhaps a grey base, lowkey plate, and then this on top.

Thanks for the input, I am inclined to agree with you and will probably put it in a black aluminum case.  It might not match the keyset perfectly, but it certainly won't look bad.  I also have a walnut datamancer with nothing in it, so I might just see how it looks there too.  I don't know if that combo will look nice or not, but ya never know until you see it in person :)

Offline satricion

« Reply #1028 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 20:56:57 »

Thanks for the input, I am inclined to agree with you and will probably put it in a black aluminum case.  It might not match the keyset perfectly, but it certainly won't look bad.  I also have a walnut datamancer with nothing in it, so I might just see how it looks there too.  I don't know if that combo will look nice or not, but ya never know until you see it in person :)

A black case will go with anything. It's only when you move away from neutral colours like black, white, silver or grey that you're going to start clashing. So you might not get the exact effect you're looking for, but you know it won't clash. In other words, the keyset will definitely look good even if it's not the particular board you're after. Whereas if you try to match it with a case that has a strong colour then you can end up with it looking horrible, or just looking a bit too "loud" (although that might be my preference for more minimal colours talking there). :)

Offline Meitachi

• Je sui prest
« Reply #1029 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 11:53:11 »

A black case will go with anything. It's only when you move away from neutral colours like black, white, silver or grey that you're going to start clashing. So you might not get the exact effect you're looking for, but you know it won't clash. In other words, the keyset will definitely look good even if it's not the particular board you're after. Whereas if you try to match it with a case that has a strong colour then you can end up with it looking horrible, or just looking a bit too "loud" (although that might be my preference for more minimal colours talking there). :)

Darn, I was hoping to make my first DIY keyboard with this keyset in mind. But reading your comment, I'm thinking finding a matching blue case could be really hard. I have a hard enough time matching my artisans sometimes (if they're not made for a keyset in mind), I could only imagine how annoying it would be having a slightly off case.

Offline colbs

« Reply #1030 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 12:04:44 »
Darn, I was hoping to make my first DIY keyboard with this keyset in mind. But reading your comment, I'm thinking finding a matching blue case could be really hard. I have a hard enough time matching my artisans sometimes (if they're not made for a keyset in mind), I could only imagine how annoying it would be having a slightly off case.

I was going to do a black aluminum case, but just ordered a space gray aluminum case off of ali, which I think will complement this keyset very nicely.

I agree that having a slightly mismatched case would be really annoying, so I decided to find something complementary rather than trying to match the colorway.  Very hyped for this set to drop!

Offline robbles

« Reply #1031 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 18:42:23 »
Hey hey,

Show Image

Show Image

Would it be possible to add a R3 ^ symbol control cap for HHKB layouts? This key is often overlooked in icon mod sets.
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #1032 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 02:01:13 »
Would it be possible to add a R3 ^ symbol control cap for HHKB layouts? This key is often overlooked in icon mod sets.

I was thinking about it some day already. I will look into that.

Offline Weltschmerz

« Reply #1033 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 06:58:27 »
I've been loosely following this set for a while, totally dig the color scheme... but now that there's a possibility of having doubleshot cyrillic caps? If that happens I don't care how much it costs I am game

Offline krisst

« Reply #1034 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 08:45:46 »
I've been loosely following this set for a while, totally dig the color scheme... but now that there's a possibility of having doubleshot cyrillic caps? If that happens I don't care how much it costs I am game

There is a cyrillic kit and it will be doubleshot.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #1035 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 09:38:50 »
Thank you t0mb3ry for taking my worries to your design consideration. I play with them a bit to tweak the proportion between each of them, I think we don't need to follow the sizing rule that way (having a bounding box and fit them all snugly), seems like it would be better if we use 'visual size' instead.

162071-0

I don't have any icon GMK in my hand so I can't make the line thickness is the same as the enter and the others so I just can give the rough estimation of the size.

Offline Theconejo

« Reply #1036 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 21:13:21 »
Any updates on if/when this is happening? Seems like SP and GMK are totally bogged down.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #1037 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 11:10:07 »
Any updates on if/when this is happening? Seems like SP and GMK are totally bogged down.
April.

In case of lead times, i have no clue. A longtime customer of GMK may step in and thus may delay the lead time and that is ok, since we are a niche markt.

Thank you t0mb3ry for taking my worries to your design consideration. I play with them a bit to tweak the proportion between each of them, I think we don't need to follow the sizing rule that way (having a bounding box and fit them all snugly), seems like it would be better if we use 'visual size' instead.

(Attachment Link)

I don't have any icon GMK in my hand so I can't make the line thickness is the same as the enter and the others so I just can give the rough estimation of the size.

I got Skidata+ which has icon mods. I'll map new icons next to existing icons and adjust them if needed.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1038 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 12:11:06 »
I think this set would work best with a dark blue case (doesn't need to be color matched), followed by space gray, then silver, then black. Not a huge fan of dark blue with black and the light blue alphas might clash a bit with silver hence them being on the end of my list. Anything else would look funny to me.
keyboards.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1039 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 14:48:46 »
April.

In case of lead times, i have no clue. A longtime customer of GMK may step in and thus may delay the lead time and that is ok, since we are a niche markt.

(Attachment Link)

I got Skidata+ which has icon mods. I'll map new icons next to existing icons and adjust them if needed.

Oh you do, eh?  I guess when you're done with Skidata+ you can just send it to me.  I mean, you're going to be busy with this GB, so you won't have time to properly use it.  I'll just PM you my address...

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1040 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 00:40:53 »
cannot wait for this set to be run already

Offline renzpwns

• I didn't like money in my wallet anyways.
« Reply #1041 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 02:29:08 »
definitely not the only one who feels that way

Offline Sissy

« Reply #1042 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 06:52:30 »
Too many great sets need to be on my keyboards already

Offline autobot

« Reply #1043 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 08:29:52 »
Too many great sets need to be on my keyboards already

No kidding, my list of sets to get is running a little long...Yuri, Dolch, Muted, Ocean Dolch, Laser, SNES...not to mention I'm eyeballing Norbauer CNC Alu Case R2...:eek:

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #1044 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 10:47:16 »
Hey hey!

As promissed i've mapped new icons along with skidata icon mods to see how well they play together. And i'd like to share it with you.

In my opinion the lines need to be slightly thicker. I'll adjust it. But there it is. On Enter you can see ther i took the scale (the thin rectangle). Ignore that dust on the sides i was in hury :)

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #1045 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 12:56:11 »
can't wait for this! Any estimated date of when the GB will launch?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1046 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 13:01:11 »
Hey hey!

As promissed i've mapped new icons along with skidata icon mods to see how well they play together. And i'd like to share it with you.

Show Image

In my opinion the lines need to be slightly thicker. I'll adjust it. But there it is. On Enter you can see ther i took the scale (the thin rectangle). Ignore that dust on the sides i was in hury :)

Thicker lines on the proposed icons would match the current Cherry icons better, than the ones shown.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #1047 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 13:01:34 »
can't wait for this! Any estimated date of when the GB will launch?

You could've scrolled up a couple posts.

April.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1048 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 14:52:09 »
Hey hey!

Show Image

Cool to see someone make some icon mods for the bottom row

I agree that they need to be thicker - the thickness on the enter arrow or the outline of the shift arrow would be ideal

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #1049 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 21:44:21 »
Hey hey!

Show Image

LOOKIN GOOD! Although it looks like Alt icon is a tiny bit smaller compared to Super and Control. The Menu is a bit bigger too. But they're all come to your decision ;)
And yes just need to match the thickness  :thumb: