Poll

Which realization of Cyrillics do you prefer?

Double shot single letters
Standard QWERTY with front printed Cyrillics

Author Topic: [IC] YURI R1 GMK (Cherry profile)  (Read 356815 times)

Offline pattulus

• RocketINK
[IC] YURI R1 GMK (Cherry profile)
« Reply #1150 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 15:05:55 »
So, I hope this get inverted like on macOS systems. I never seen it any other way and to me it doesn't make sense even remotely. My inner Monk is screaming ^__^

Then again, it kind of makes sense to me with the set. But as personal preferences got: I'm happy without the icon mods, so you get a free pass on anything there.

Offline srang

Re: [IC] YURI R1 GMK (Cherry profile)
« Reply #1151 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 16:59:54 »
Update.

Updated icon mods kit with new icons.
Show Image

What's with the alt character?  I've never seen it upside down like that.

I've seen it somewhere done like this. And personaly i prefer them upside down like this, because they hormonize with control icon better. Though if there are enought voices i'll make it like in granite (apple os).

Actually this is the right way btw. alt icon is right. The other icon is OS based. http://xahlee.info/comp/unicode_computing_symbols.html
I like it the way you've got it especially with the history lesson context

Offline ghostdeini

« Reply #1152 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 17:59:20 »
Also its pretty subjective but i think many people will do unspeakable things for something like this:
Show Image

Confirmed, I would sacrifice a body part for that exact keyset. Looks like it was ripped straight from the control panel of some science fiction ship!

However, the planned design will be enough to satiate me :P
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 April 2017, 18:01:52 by ghostdeini »

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #1153 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 01:11:23 »
Update.

Show Image

What's with the alt character?  I've never seen it upside down like that.

I've seen it somewhere done like this. And personaly i prefer them upside down like this, because they hormonize with control icon better. Though if there are enought voices i'll make it like in granite (apple os).

Actually this is the right way btw. alt icon is right. The other icon is OS based. http://xahlee.info/comp/unicode_computing_symbols.html

While it is right "Alt", it almost never be seen, and because the "Opt" icon on macOS appear quite often, people become familiar with it as the "Alt" icon, even on mac keyboads it still says Alt on top then Option on the bottom.

And yes, I prefer the macOS version.

« Reply #1154 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 07:55:11 »
On this date in 1961, Yuri Gagarin became the first human to journey into outer space. Happy Yuri's Night!

Offline jihadu

« Reply #1155 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 08:12:08 »
Happy Yuri flight day !

Enviado do meu GT-i8730 através de Tapatalk

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #1156 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 11:41:17 »
Happy first flight day! :)

Anyway seems like everybody is for flipping alt symbol, so be it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 April 2017, 11:44:02 by T0mb3ry »

Offline anthonyooiszewen

« Reply #1157 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 13:41:04 »

Haha, I only counted 1 who prefers the flipped symbol. The other two were just more used to seeing it flipped - the first didn't mention his preference; the second said the regular alt symbol makes sense and he's ok with it.

I personally much prefer the regular alt (the "correct" one) as I agree that it goes much better with Ctrl and the rest of the icons better. And the symbol just makes more sense that way...

Offline srang

« Reply #1158 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 13:52:48 »

Haha, I only counted 1 who prefers the flipped symbol. The other two were just more used to seeing it flipped - the first didn't mention his preference; the second said the regular alt symbol makes sense and he's ok with it.

I personally much prefer the regular alt (the "correct" one) as I agree that it goes much better with Ctrl and the rest of the icons better. And the symbol just makes more sense that way...
Poll poll poll! 😉 Tbh I'm fine with either way. I just like feeling included

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #1159 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 14:01:54 »
The poll: http://www.strawpoll.me/12732747

Added that poll to the first page at the bottom...
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 April 2017, 14:03:55 by T0mb3ry »

Offline srang

« Reply #1160 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 14:05:35 »

Woooooooo

Offline need

« Reply #1161 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 14:24:49 »
I feel that you shouldn't call it usual one the "correct" way, as that makes the Apple OS one sounds incorrect...

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #1162 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 14:33:10 »
I feel that you shouldn't call it usual one the "correct" way, as that makes the Apple OS one sounds incorrect...

You are right i have better called it the standard way.

Offline poolside

« Reply #1163 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 17:07:19 »

Voted for flipping, MacOS-style! The flippers seem to be in the minority at the moment, however.

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #1164 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 20:56:07 »
any possibility of an inverse yuri glorious key?  that's the one i'd want to use with this set.

Offline jihadu

« Reply #1165 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 18:02:23 »
any possibility of an inverse yuri glorious key?  that's the one i'd want to use with this set.
It would look wicked, that's for sure.

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #1166 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 13:22:25 »

Technically neither is wrong or right. IIRC they are both part of the ISO 9995-7 standard. They are just for different keys, one for alternate, the other for option. Both keys just happen to generate the same scan code.  :D (FWIW, I don't have a preference. I just prefer the icon over text.)

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #1167 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 16:02:53 »
I'd like to thank everybody who participated in the poll for the "alternate" icon. Thank you :)

I know for a correct poll "statisticaly" you need at least 3k votes. But like i asumed before it will be somewhere near 70% votes for alt icon (standard) and 30% for option icon (apple). This asumption i got from university. We got like ~30% apple users in our class :) And they were also very passionate apple users. But anyway due to the poll results its clear we keep the standard icon. Also people should keep in mind, despite their OS or Company preferences/passion, these icon mods will be used by other keyset designers (if they want) in their keysets and i think its important to make it as standard. At least for this time. I am sure in some upcoming set someone will also introduce proper Apple icon mods. Maybe i will do that or maybe some other designer will introduce apple icons. Who knows. :)

Offline packman86

• Morning Coffee
« Reply #1168 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 18:59:52 »
I'd like to thank everybody who participated in the poll for the "alternate" icon. Thank you :)

I know for a correct poll "statisticaly" you need at least 3k votes. But like i asumed before it will be somewhere near 70% votes for alt icon (standard) and 30% for option icon (apple). This asumption i got from university. We got like ~30% apple users in our class :) And they were also very passionate apple users. But anyway due to the poll results its clear we keep the standard icon. Also people should keep in mind, despite their OS or Company preferences/passion, these icon mods will be used by other keyset designers (if they want) in their keysets and i think its important to make it as standard. At least for this time. I am sure in some upcoming set someone will also introduce proper Apple icon mods. Maybe i will do that or maybe some other designer will introduce apple icons. Who knows. :)

OK that is great news... But when can I buy this set??
Keyboard Collection:

More

TGR Jane V2 | TGR Jane V2 CE | TGR Alice | TGR Dolice | TGR 910 | TGR x Singa UNIKORN 60 | Matrix 8XV 2.0 Korea Version | Matrix 8XV 2.0add | LZ CLS s h x | Duck Jetfire | TX-CP | QXP | Noxary X65 | RAMA M60-A | Model F62 "Kishsaver"

Offline pattulus

• RocketINK
« Reply #1169 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 19:24:37 »

OK that is great news... But when can I buy this set??
May

Offline jihadu

« Reply #1170 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 20:16:55 »

Offline pattulus

• RocketINK
« Reply #1171 on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 02:24:14 »
Yes, hopefully. Due to it's groundbreaking GMK add-ons (Colevorak + Ergodox + more) I'm really excited about the set.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1172 on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 10:19:28 »
Have you guys seen the ads on discovery science channel for the show called "Outlaw Tech"?  They use these colors and it looks awesome... and it makes me want Yuir NOW!   :p

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #1173 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 17:16:54 »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #1174 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 17:18:06 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Come at me broYuri!   :))

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1175 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 17:46:38 »
Update.

Show Image

edit: fixed tab symbol

I need this ASAP.

When are you planning to drop it?

Offline srang

« Reply #1176 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 18:11:48 »

Is the space bar kit going to be available in alpha base color?

It will then have moq of 150 which is not optimal. Though i can change the color of available spacebar kit to alpha color, because that orange is very loud.

By the way Yuri will introduce 2u spacebar which will be included into planck/ergodox kit. Also there is possibility that the 2u "0 Ins" key on numpad may get the shape of a spacebar.

So I finally found a reasonably priced 40% and realized I needed some clarification on the spacebars. So is the only kit with a 2u convex spacebar the plank kit? Or are the spacebars (maybe even all the sizes?) in the spacebar kit convex as well? Fingers crossed

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Offline Meitachi

• Je sui prest
« Reply #1177 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 18:13:13 »
Update.

Show Image

edit: fixed tab symbol

I need this ASAP.

When are you planning to drop it?

Any idea when in April? April's almost here so I want to know when I can start counting down the days

Considering Massdrop's current schedule with the whole Ortholinear madness and everything I'd say you have time - the Planck is about to end but the Preonic is starting right after and we don't know yet if Yuri's coming right after that so I'd say counting down the days is not necessary just yet.

So on the reddit page for GMK Oblivion, spoonyluv47 (who I think is the same person as Tomb3ry here on GH, please correct me if I am wrong) said that Yuri got delayed to May.  Sad news, but my wallet is probably better off for it.

Confirm. Sorry people i should have said this earlier, but this is the case. Yuri is dealyed to May.

My wallet is ready.

Offline WNovizar

« Reply #1178 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 19:35:35 »
Seeing these extra kits made me thinking, is it possible to fill a full 1800 layout only with Cyrillic + Icon Mods kit?
I like mechanical keyboards

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #1179 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 19:46:25 »
Is it me or this set looks really similar to Carbon

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #1180 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 19:49:39 »

It's just you.  The only similarity is using orange legends on the mods and for ESC/Enter accents, and they don't even use similar oranges.

Offline Theconejo

« Reply #1181 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 20:18:59 »
I might sell my carbon and just main this. That cat gif that's heavily breathing is what I'm doing. My kids also saw the gif and are now walking around the house breathing heavily.

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #1182 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 21:54:56 »

It's just you.  The only similarity is using orange legends on the mods and for ESC/Enter accents, and they don't even use similar oranges.

Yea i think its only me, anyway........ Tom always come up with some of the best looking GMK sets

Ill be in for sure and May is coming guys!!

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #1183 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 00:06:39 »

So I finally found a reasonably priced 40% and realized I needed some clarification on the spacebars. So is the only kit with a 2u convex spacebar the plank kit? Or are the spacebars (maybe even all the sizes?) in the spacebar kit convex as well? Fingers crossed

Thats the plan. Edit: Sry. Need to tprecise. The plan is to have all the 2u "spacebar" convex... :)
Seeing these extra kits made me thinking, is it possible to fill a full 1800 layout only with Cyrillic + Icon Mods kit?

Nope. You can use icon mods + cyrillics up to 60% safely. After that you will ne some keys from base set. Anyway icon mods are meant to be as optional Addon for base set and not a replacement for it.

Initially i wanted to avoid using orange but blue and orange have probably one of the best cohesion as colorcombo. The orange itself has more redish touch to it and is almost neon if you compare to a dark and rough carbon orange.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 April 2017, 00:47:54 by T0mb3ry »

Offline mathiasn

« Reply #1184 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 01:20:42 »
Vverrrry Noice!

Just some questions:

* Why no Novelty ISO Enter (Szar and Stripes (spelling "mistake" intended ;D))?
* I don't hope International (Dvorak, ...) has been dropped (there's no drop render)?

Looking forward to this...

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #1185 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 02:31:03 »
Commenting to get notefications

Offline srang

« Reply #1186 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 08:48:06 »

Thats the plan. Edit: Sry. Need to tprecise. The plan is to have all the 2u "spacebar" convex... :)

Oh man for a second I go beyond excited! All size spacebars convex would be unreal! But I'm very happy for 2u convex in the spacebar kit.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1187 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 09:04:11 »

Oh man for a second I go beyond excited! All size spacebars convex would be unreal! But I'm very happy for 2u convex in the spacebar kit.

Agreed.  I think a lot of people will be buying the spacebar kit with 2u convex available

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #1188 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 10:02:26 »
Hey T0m just wanna let you know (if you don't, yet) that Cristoph offer me a 1u convex option at no additional charge at all because they wanna invest on it. So my suggestion is to change some/all 1u key on dox kit thumb clusters to convex. I can't say for sure how it feels on ergodox since I don't have it but having a different profile (usually flipping them) for lower and raise on Planck really improve my productivity since there're more thumb keys on it compared to usual keeb so having an "orientation" at vital key like lower raise is essential.

Hope you consider this  :thumb:

Edit: some words to make it clearer.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 April 2017, 10:09:13 by jebbra »

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #1189 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 10:07:11 »
Hey T0m just wanna let you know (if you don't, yet) that Cristoph offer me a 1u convex option at no additional charge at all because they wanna invest on it. So my suggestion is to change some/all 1u key on dox kit thumb clusters to convex. I can't say for sure how it feels on ergodox since I don't have it but having a different profile (usually flipping them) for lower and raise really improve my productivity since there're more thumb keys on it compared to usual keeb so having an "orientation" at vital key like lower raise is essential.

Oh, that sounds lovely! Let's make an ortho with all convex keys!

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #1190 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 10:27:04 »
I am curious. Do many of you have issue with alpha colors? On reddit people got troubles to see the pale blue and redish orange. Some called pale blue as white or gray which i cant understand why. I see it clearly on several different monitors. Anyway if someone got these troubles then i suggest to check previous posts with real life samples. Tell me if you still see different colors.

Hey T0m just wanna let you know (if you don't, yet) that Cristoph offer me a 1u convex option at no additional charge at all because they wanna invest on it. So my suggestion is to change some/all 1u key on dox kit thumb clusters to convex. I can't say for sure how it feels on ergodox since I don't have it but having a different profile (usually flipping them) for lower and raise on Planck really improve my productivity since there're more thumb keys on it compared to usual keeb so having an "orientation" at vital key like lower raise is essential.

Sure. If they offer it. Will change with next update :)

Offline Theconejo

« Reply #1191 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 10:30:05 »
I am curious. Do many of you have issue with alpha colors? On reddit people got troubles to see the pale blue and redish orange. Some called pale blue as white or gray which i cant understand why. I see it clearly on several different monitors. Anyway if someone got these troubles then i suggest to check previous posts with real life samples. Tell me if you still see different colors.

Sure. If they offer it. Will change with next update :)

I can tell its blue, but the orange I thought was red until recently when someone pointed out it's actually orange. Sadly I'm colorblind and can't always differentiate so I rely on others for clarifications, like asking my 4 year old daughter when I need to buy bananas =(

Offline srang

« Reply #1192 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 10:33:41 »

I can see the colors. And I would be hesitant to change them. They are subtle like good art where the more you look at it the better it looks

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #1193 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 10:37:09 »

:thumb:

Pretty sure they use non-calibrated / non-Apple screen. No offense but Apple screen is the easiest way to see colors more correctly, I did a research on it, most of Samsung mobile tends to have yellow/green tint and yellow is negating blue. Or maybe that pale blue stand on color blind range? I knew it is pale blue right away when I saw it decades ago.

Offline srang

« Reply #1194 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 10:51:04 »
(Attachment Link)

Pretty sure they use non-calibrated / non-Apple screen. No offense but Apple screen is the easiest way to see colors more correctly, I did a research on it, most of Samsung mobile tends to have yellow/green tint and yellow is negating blue. Or maybe that pale blue stand on color blind range? I knew it is pale blue right away when I saw it decades ago.
I know this is a stretch but if they're willing to expand their toolset it would be *really* cool for the spacebars in the spacebar kit to all be convex. I know it's a big ask, but t0m can work magic so I figure it's worth asking

Offline HMK

« Reply #1195 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 10:57:30 »

I can see them. Monitor aging could be one reason. Monitor gets yellowish as time pasts, and with yellowish tint on it, blue would looks achromatic, B with Yellow(R+G).

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #1196 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 10:59:52 »
Zero issues with colours here - I trust your judgement but I'd be very wary of changing them as has been mentioned. I think they're perfect as is.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1197 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 11:04:37 »
People on Reddit should get nicer monitors, or realize your brain plays tricks on you when there are no references to compare colors. I see pale blue and orange on all my monitors and my Moto x pure, but they're all nicely calibrated IPS. If you bring up red and gray colors for reference it's clear that the renders are blue and orange.
keyboards.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #1198 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 11:56:48 »
I can see the red/orange issue since it is a reddish orange in the midst of blues, but the pale blue being pale blue is rather obvious to me.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #1199 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 17:06:15 »
(Attachment Link)

I know this is a stretch but if they're willing to expand their toolset it would be *really* cool for the spacebars in the spacebar kit to all be convex. I know it's a big ask, but t0m can work magic so I figure it's worth asking

I bet they're willing to do 1u convex because of the size, it's only 1u. And Planck having a multiple grand of order from latest drop, and multiple drop happened on ergodox, makes it as more clear consumption to make 1u and 2u convex. Compared to that, the market for 1.75u 2.25u 2.75u 3u is still quite new but I believe it will be covered in not so distant future.