Author Topic: SP - SA Sublimated - Ice Cap - Industrial!  (Read 30586 times)

Offline KHAANNN

Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline nilpt

Re: SP - SA Sublimated - Ice Cap - PBT?
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 14:29:21 »
I cannot see any homing indicators on F & J, what's up with this?
IBM 1391410 / Qume terminal keyboard (teensy 2++)

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 14:39:23 »
I cannot see any homing indicators on F & J, what's up with this?

They probably printed them all on the same R3 keycap, and not the scooped R3 one for F, J, I would speculate
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline nilpt

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 14:47:06 »
I would say they had some big overstock of SA PBT and decided to do a little cleaning...

Offline depreshun

• Reddit: risingremains
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 22:30:39 »
Just got mine today. Only a Numpad kit but it feels a lot like my hangul enjoy pbt.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 04:41:18 »
I would say they had some big overstock of SA PBT and decided to do a little cleaning...
over 1000 caps overstock in the same exact color? Doubt it ;)

Offline nilpt

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 08:35:02 »
How do you explain no homing indicators on these sets? I remember the time when they published detailed stock documents, nowadays I cannot find  those.

Offline zslane

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 12:02:09 »
I would explain it by pointing out that SP was deliberately keeping this set as simple as possible.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 12:07:00 »
They can't dye-sub scoops that easily (speculation), it should be hard to make it look good while the surface isn't as uniform as the regular ones

They could've added nipples tho

Offline zslane

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 12:18:37 »
I would find that very surprising. Most vintage sphericals (even those with dyesub legends) have normal scoops that are like SA's deepdish scoops. SA's normal scooping is very shallow. I don't believe that is because of dyesubbing limitations but purely because that's what the molds were they inherited.

Look at Topre's Hi-Pro keycaps. They have deep scooping on all their keys and the dyesubbing works fine on those.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 12:23:21 »
I would find that very surprising. Most vintage sphericals (even those with dyesub legends) have normal scoops that are like SA's deepdish scoops. SA's normal scooping is very shallow. I don't believe that is because of dyesubbing limitations but purely because that's what the molds were they inherited.

Look at Topre's Hi-Pro keycaps. They have deep scooping on all their keys and the dyesubbing works fine on those.

I'm not saying it's not possible, I just think maybe they didn't add alternative homing because they didn't calibrate their PBT dye-subbing process with scoops in mind

Tho, it makes more sense that they didn't include scoops because of mold-related stuff

In any case, it seems like procrastination, they never go all the way

Offline zslane

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 15:05:45 »
SP doesn't seem to have any trouble dyesubbing onto deepdish DSA caps.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 17:28:21 »

Exactly.  And they already stated that they were testing the market and the process. That's the reason that there are some imperfections in the walls of the caps.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 20:01:55 »

Exactly.  And they already stated that they were testing the market and the process. That's the reason that there are some imperfections in the walls of the caps.

I'm wondering if dye-subbing sculpted or deep dish caps would even be worth the cost of all that extra calibration.

Offline jennb

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 08:50:48 »
Got the TKL set I ordered a little over a week ago. Others seem to have gotten theirs even earlier than I did.
Keyboards: Code MX Clear, Minivan Aliaz switches
Keycap sets: DSA Granite, SA Ice Cep

Offline silaz

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 21:28:52 »
Apologies for asking this question here, but there seems to be many knowledgeable folks watching this thread. I've noticed a lot of sets from SP don't have homing indicators. I was really interested in trying a DSA keyset but not sure how well I'd adapt without the homing indicators. Any insight?

Offline zslane

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 21:47:17 »
I can only speculate, but part of the reason for a distinct lack of homing nubs on many sets is that spherical keycaps are sort of retro in nature, and vintage sphericals used deep dishing as homing indicators, not nubs.

Offline nilpt

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 08:47:42 »
I can only speculate, but part of the reason for a distinct lack of homing nubs on many sets is that spherical keycaps are sort of retro in nature, and vintage sphericals used deep dishing as homing indicators, not nubs.
I was looking for any kind of homing indicators, but it looks there are none in the set.

Offline zslane

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 15:52:52 »
I was looking for any kind of homing indicators, but it looks there are none in the set.

Again, a sacrifice made in this case to keep the set as simple as possible.

No doubt future sets will expand on this: other row profiles, deepdish homing keys, ISO layout, etc.

Offline KHAANNN

Re: SP - SA Sublimated - Ice Cap - Industrial!
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 13:35:51 »
The email for this just came up: http://pimpmykeyboard.com/sa-industrial-keyset/

If I was a SA user, I would definitely snatch one

Offline zslane

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 14:23:12 »
I'm not sure what this means:

"As production time allows, both Industrial and Ice Cap sets will be made available in the KeyShop."

Ice Cap is still shown as Out of Stock, yet the statement above seems to suggest that both Industrial and Ice Cap will be available simultaneously (i.e., bringing Ice Cap back in stock).

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 14:31:43 »
I'm not sure what this means:

"As production time allows, both Industrial and Ice Cap sets will be made available in the KeyShop."

Ice Cap is still shown as Out of Stock, yet the statement above seems to suggest that both Industrial and Ice Cap will be available simultaneously (i.e., bringing Ice Cap back in stock).

As far as I interpret, it's pretty simple, they might or might-not reproduce them depending on their production

I think it's probable

However, in the past, they made a lot of promises and didn't deliver, so production might not allow

They still don't have blanks in DSA Dolch colorway, makes me want to cry

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 18:22:15 »
The email for this just came up: http://pimpmykeyboard.com/sa-industrial-keyset/

Already placed my Order just now  :thumb: .

Also received the Ice Caps but they're still sitting in their two baggies, so when I have time I'll fit them into a keyboard to see how they are.

Couldn't pass up owning the INDUSTRIAL, really decent Colour-way and hope SP release even more PBT delights.  Unlike you lot here crying about what they should release I buy any thing they release, simply because no one else is actually making PBT key-sets on the American Mainland.

Plus their PBT is quite smooth, compared to the arse-tearing PBT caps coming out of China.  In fact you could file wood with their awful caps  ;) .

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 06:06:41 »
Indeed the colorway is impressive, vibe-wise, It's like Granite meets Carbon - as far as I see it, It's a first for SP if they came up with the colorway themselves

I would also go for it, yet the lack of alternative modifiers held me back, one of these days tho, they are going to get me too ... :)

I would've loved to have a SA keyboard with clicky switches, to use every now and then, for a couple of minutes

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 10:54:17 »
Ordered!  Thanks for the heads-up.  This will be my uniform SA set and then I'll get Dasher in Sculpted!  Now, to buy some more keyboards to put these on... what is wrong with me?   :mad:

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 13:35:36 »
Just got my shipping notice and tracking number!   :thumb:

Offline zslane

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 14:53:55 »
I might try these on a NovaTouch or one of XMIT's Hall Effect 60% boards.

But I really would like to see SP make these in a fully sculptured set.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 17:07:39 »
XMIT's Hall Effect 60% boards.

Wait what?  I think I missed this.  Would you happen to have more on this?  I'd love to try one out.

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 17:39:14 »

Already placed my Order just now  :thumb: .

Also received the Ice Caps but they're still sitting in their two baggies, so when I have time I'll fit them into a keyboard to see how they are.

Couldn't pass up owning the INDUSTRIAL, really decent Colour-way and hope SP release even more PBT delights.  Unlike you lot here crying about what they should release I buy any thing they release, simply because no one else is actually making PBT key-sets on the American Mainland.

Plus their PBT is quite smooth, compared to the arse-tearing PBT caps coming out of China.  In fact you could file wood with their awful caps  ;) .

Is this set glossy smooth?

Offline zslane

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 17:51:41 »
SP's dye-sub PBT keycaps are not glossy smooth, no. They are more like a very fine soft pumice texture.

Offline zslane

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 17:52:33 »

Wait what?  I think I missed this.  Would you happen to have more on this?  I'd love to try one out.

There are threads both here and on DT about this. Look under "Chinese Hall Effect..."

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=84525.0

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 18:09:28 »

There are threads both here and on DT about this. Look under "Chinese Hall Effect..."

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=84525.0

Wonderful and thanks.  Found those via Google.  I'm definitely going to have pick one up.  Hall Effect switches are on my short list of things I'd love to try and a new board means no worrying about getting it to work on a PC.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 18:22:07 »
SP's dye-sub PBT keycaps are not glossy smooth, no. They are more like a very fine soft pumice texture.

Like that description, "very fine soft pumice texture"  8) .

This set (colour-way) and the traditional BSP dye-subs, which are the ONLY ones to own these days.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 10:11:40 »
I received my Industrial set, but haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet.  Hopefully tonight...

Offline zslane

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 22:33:15 »
I just put a set on my NovaTouch and they look pretty great. They feel exactly like regular SA keycaps (i.e., double-shot ABS) thanks to the semigloss finish, which I wasn't expecting. I was looking forward to something lightly textured like my Granite keycaps, so these are just a wee bit disappointing from that perspective. I don't like a uniform R3 profile on keyboards larger than 60%ers, but this NovaTouch isn't my main keyboard so it doesn't bother me that much. Still, I'd really like to see this set delivered in a fully sculptured 1-1-2-3-4-3 profile.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 22:47:22 »
Why no photos tho? :(

Found this one on Reddit: http://imgur.com/a/AWiFv

Offline zslane

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 23:04:12 »
Because the lighting sucks in this room at night.

150637-0

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 23:10:53 »
Wow, are those scoops?

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 23:11:45 »
WOAH I WANT MORE COLORS WITH THOSE UNIFORM R3!!!!

SA S-Frame  :cool:

Offline zslane

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 00:23:16 »
Wow, are those scoops?

Yeah, these sets come with both regular and deep dish home keys. I like deep dish scooping, so I always put them on if they are available.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 14:44:31 »
Wow, are those scoops?

Yeah, these sets come with both regular and deep dish home keys. I like deep dish scooping, so I always put them on if they are available.

Thanks for the photo!  I should have mine tomorrow afternoon.  Can't wait.  This will be my first SA caps.  Of course DASHER will be #2...  /waitspatiently-notreally

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #91 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 13:30:32 »
Got set on my Cherry Blues today.

Color
They're beautiful.  The color is just what it looked like in photos.  The orange is very bright, but not overly saturated.  Grays are pretty neutral.

Sound
SA sounds great on blues!  Man, it almost makes them as loud as my Matias Clicky keys. Quite a change from the GMKs that I was using on the same board.  I think it's because the stems sit flush with the bottom of the key, making more the switch exposed to open air.  The bottom of the key is up so high that I can actually see the top of the led in the switch when looking from the side.

Texture
The texture is interesting and unlike any other caps I have.  It's similar to GMK ABS, believe it or not.  It's definitely NOT like the PBT dyesub keys that Pimpmykeyboard sells (which is a more grainy texture).

It's somewhere in between an eggshell and satin finish. At first this seems great, not too shiny, not too rough.  However, when you go to type on them it feels a bit sticky.  I can't explain it but it feels like the keys grip my fingers when I type more than my enjoy PBT keys.  Maybe it's the finish in combination with the spherical profile.  I don't like it, but then again, I didn't like the way their DSA keys felt either until I used them for a few days.  Now I love it.  So, time will tell.

The main issue with the finish is the subtle sheen on the keys.  Rub your thumbnail across the space bar and it scratches the finish. I tried to buff it, but I can still see where I scratched it.   I did the same thing on my EnjoyPBT set and no scratch showed up. I also see some scratches on a few keys after I type, and I don't have long fingernails.  Of course, you can't see this unless you look at it from an angle, but it makes me worry about the condition of these caps a few years down the road.

Yes, they are tall, but you knew that.  I honestly don't feel much difference with the added height when I'm typing.  However, I almost always hover above the keyboard, and I don't usually rest my palms on a rest or the desk.

I like this uniform profile but I've never tried the fully sculptured so I can't make a comparison.  I will say I think they are slightly easier for me to type on than DSA.  I'm probably still a bit more comfortable on cherry profile, but the SA profile certainly isn't going to hurt my WPM by more than a few digits.

That's my take, I'll keep using them over the weekend and I'll update if my opinion changes.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 October 2016, 13:34:27 by reececonrad »

Offline zslane

« Reply #92 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 15:40:56 »
Sound
SA sounds great on blues!  Man, it almost makes them as loud as my Matias Clicky keys.

Loud is not a feature, bro.  :p

Texture
The texture is interesting and unlike any other caps I have.  It's similar to GMK ABS, believe it or not.  It's definitely NOT like the PBT dyesub keys that Pimpmykeyboard sells (which is a more grainy texture).

It is SP's standard semigloss finish for SA keycaps. This finish is consistent across the SA family regardless of the type of plastic employed.

Yes, they are tall, but you knew that.

I would call them "mostly tall" simply because they are all row 3, which is the shortest row in the SA family. They are significantly taller than DSA, but noticeably shorter than SA row 1. All in all, I am still of the firm opinion that any SA set is better off being sculptured than uniform row3, including this one.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #93 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 16:20:41 »
Sound
SA sounds great on blues!  Man, it almost makes them as loud as my Matias Clicky keys.

Hmm... maybe we could put mini speakers on them so that you could customize the sound key by key... I'm thinking variations on a bicycle horn or a fart soundboard are in order.

I'm eagerly awaiting Dasher to try out the full experience!
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 October 2016, 16:25:54 by reececonrad »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #94 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 16:26:49 »
Sound

Hmm... maybe we could put mini speakers on them and you could customize each sound key by key... Im thinking variations on a bicycle horn or a fart soundboard are in order.

Speakers you say?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #95 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 16:28:45 »
Sound

Hmm... maybe we could put mini speakers on them and you could customize each sound key by key... Im thinking variations on a bicycle horn or a fart soundboard are in order.

Speakers you say?

:eek:  I need one!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #96 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 21:16:39 »
Here are some photos that show the issue i have with the finish.  All I have done with these caps is put them on and type about 10-15 typing tests on keyhero.

I also included a photo to show that I don't have strangely long fingernails. These marks do not go away with buffing.

« Last Edit: Fri, 21 October 2016, 21:20:30 by reececonrad »

Offline DanB

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 21:48:00 »
I think Ice Cap for alphas with industrial accents and modifiers looks like ghetto carbon, in a good way.
Kingsaver, Koala

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 06:17:32 »
I love seeing Industrial photos on Reddit, doesn't get old

For the stains, I recall DSA ones having them too, maybe even ABS SA/DSA ones, tho I'm not sure on the ABS - even if you scratch a spacebar gently by your nail, it leaves a minor scratch there

If GMK is 95% Perfect, 5% deduction being from the keycap to keycap scratches, I think SP keycaps are around 80%, 20% deduction mainly from shape imperfections, while these SA PBT's look like 90%+, I think some minor surface issues are to be expected from SP

Offline zslane

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 12:31:08 »
I'm kind of wishing they had chosen a different color for the extra keys though. The orange they chose makes it look like I'm typing on a bowl of potatoes and carrots. I will probably replace them with the blue keys from PuLSE someday.