Author Topic: Greetings from Germany  (Read 2189 times)

Offline Chaironea

Greetings from Germany
« on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 15:00:45 »
Hi everybody,

I am Christoph from Germany, chemist and translator of scientific and technical stuff, and of course I love anything that makes working on a computer smoother and more pleasurable.

I have been a computer user for about 35 years now. I have worked on nearly anything from Commodore 8032s, VAXes, Unix terminals and of course PCs of all kinds. With all of these, mechanical keyboards have always been what I liked to work with best.

Currently I am experimenting with redesigning keyboards, first a cherry MY3000 I still had. I coated it with soft red lambs leather, made new caps for the lights, and replaced the keycaps with ones I made from black buttons, a laminated character set and quite some wood floor varnish. Worked out pretty nicely in typewriter style and I gave it to a friend who owns a desk he inherited from his great-great-uncle.

Searching for new objects I ventured upon a G80, tried it, and will never part from MX switches again. It got a coat of red shoe leather so far and new caps for the lights I made from rivets and quick setting 2-component glue. Waiting to be served is a Chicony KB-5191/5192 with blue switches from 1988. Feels very much like the keyboards on those VAX terminals back then and the switches are still in very good condition.

With respect to the last one, maybe a question [should I put it in the Keyboards section?]: I recently did some research on the KB-5191/2 and found that it comes with nearly any kind of mechanical switches on the market in its time. Wouldn't it be a nice idea to assemble a data base with Chicony keyboards' serial numbers and their respective type of switches? I think it might help to identify candidates worth buying.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Greetings from Germany
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 23:19:31 »
Herzlich willkommen! :)

I got that from Google btw.  :)
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 18:06:30 »
Willkommen hier!   ;) lol i think you'll have a lot of fun vintage-searching in Germany!

Offline Twinguin

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 23:39:53 »
Willkommen und Grüsse aus Detroit.
There is a curse. They say: May you live in interesting times!, Terry Pratchett

Popsicle KUL ES-87 (MX Blue, DSA) | Sun Ultracomputing Pok3r (MX Brown, DSA) | Nuclear WASD 100% (MX Brown, SA) | Gulf Pok3r (MX Clear, DSA) | Granite JD45 (MX Blue, DSA) | Coffee Core (MX Red, DSA) | Lime Pok3r (MX Clear, SA) | Canvas Vibe (MX Silent Red, XDA)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 12 March 2017, 08:01:20 »
Yep. Making a thread is a good start! I've always wondered if I would be a Christoph instead of Christopher if I was made in Germany rather than the USA. Welcome :)