Author Topic: [IC] Calm Depths SA (Updated 8-2)  (Read 62954 times)

Offline Crapiface

[IC] Calm Depths SA (Updated 8-2)
« on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 11:54:02 »
This an Interest Check/Poll for a Calm Depths rerun. I have already contacted SP, the original designer/creator of the keyset for his permission. The point of this poll is to gather enough interest to make this legendary keyset available to the community. Here are some of the kits I want to support : http://imgur.com/a/jNTMt .

Please note that those kits will undergo major changes in the future.
I'd like to gather opinions on what should be supported since this was a community created keyset.

Here is the (NEW!) Massdrop Poll :
https://www.massdrop.com/vote/Calm-Depths-SA-and-DSA

Ninja edit : Here's the confirmation of the original leader of the GB for the non-sayers : http://i.imgur.com/8oSoA9f.png
And Melissa's approval : http://i.imgur.com/OEhmI32.png

Update 7-13:

Updated extensions, mods and added macros.

173224-0

173226-1

173228-2

Update 7-07:

More renders ! A big thanks again to Oblotzky!

172610-3

172612-4

172614-5

172616-6

172618-7

172620-8

172622-9

172624-10

172626-11

172628-12

172630-13

172634-15

172636-16

Update 6-27:

We have some sweet renders ! Thanks Oblotzky !  :D

He's still in the process of doing the renders with the promise of a few more kits to come :

- Ergodox (maybe)
- 40%
- Ortho/Planck
- Arrows (both base colors)
- Dvorak & Colemak
- NorDeUK (or UK and NorDe split)
- GTA spacebars
- Spacekeys (both base colors)
- Community kit
- Accent kit (maybe)

171782-17

171784-18

171786-19

171788-20

Update 5-25:

So I contacted Melissa at SP and well I have bad news and/or good news depending on your point of view. She told me they're booked until May next year. So, assuming the 6 months + of production and then shipping we're looking at end of 2018 which I don't think will fly with anybody (I wouldn't).

So now we're faced with a choice : MaxKey SA or DSA SP if they can do it before May 2018. I also added 1.75u shift and the missing ISO key !

Second update : Melissa told me DSA was booked until September this year which I find could be reasonable. It would give me the time to finish designing the kits and in a perfect world we could have a GB up on Massdrop in June (I hope so!). I know DSA wasn't the original plan but I feel like there is enough demand for the kit in DSA and a SA kit could really be done when SP's queue clears up/increase their production/etc. I will put up a poll for this tomorrow and talk with doom2 and Obloztky of these changes. Nothing is set in stone and nothing forbids a R3 SA Calm Depths!

Update 5-24:

I know it's been a long time since I did an update but I'm finally free !
Also, since I'm not as active on Geekhack as I would like, user doom2 offered help with the unofficial updates of the set and will be able to answer the majority of your questions.
You can also always contact me on reddit under /u/Crapiface.

I decided to change the way kits were offered and was wondering what sculpting we could use so I have created a poll to cumulate results.
Here's the link : http://www.strawpoll.me/13034716

If you choose the "Other" option please comment.

Now... the big changes.

Instead of doing multiple small kits I think it would be easier to offer a basic kit, pictured here :

169122-21169124-22

and then work from there with the community. Since I want to do this Group Buy as fast as possible, I'll will NOT design novelties. This will have to wait for a 3rd (counting the original) round.

Also, I currently am pondering the possibility to do a 40% adapter kit and an international kit.
Concerning the international kit I will take inspiration from other sets as I never had an international kit myself. I will also take suggestions.

The current official kits are the Ergodox (it's the same as the original) and the basic kit.

Update 4-18:

Sorry I have been away for quite a time since I'm not active on Geekhack and I had major things come up in the meantime.

I am still waiting on an update from Massdrop and I believe I will not hear from them for a while because of SP's backlog. I am currently looking at other options and I am leaning towards a DSA set because I feel the keyset NEEDS to be re-run and because of SP's backlog and lack of competitors I find that maybe I'll need to find another company to do it. I also feel like this keyset needs the big centered legends.

I'll update the IC as I go but if you want more details you can contact me easily on reddit : /u/Crapiface.

Thanks for all the support!
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 August 2017, 17:29:40 by Crapiface »

Offline Crapiface

Re: [IC] Calm Depths SA
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 11:55:05 »
Reserved.

Offline nastrovje

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 11:59:40 »
IN-terested!

But when would it run? 2018?

Offline Valaris

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 11:59:57 »
Any plans to include some novelties? I know the set is more colorway inspired than theme but would be nice.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 12:01:10 »
Nice, stoked to see some novelties!

Offline Crapiface

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 12:37:50 »
IN-terested!

But when would it run? 2018?

Sadly. SP queue is booked for a year :/ I don't know if the buy is gonna happen before and then we get the goodies in 2018. I still need to get Massdrop's OK.

Offline Crapiface

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 12:39:36 »

Any plans to include some novelties? I know the set is more colorway inspired than theme but would be nice.

I'd really like to include some novelties but I'm kinda short on ideas on this front. I was thinking of maybe doing something related to scuba diving and maybe a little something relating to C4lm.

Offline mr scooty

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 12:47:27 »

I'd really like to include some novelties but I'm kinda short on ideas on this front. I was thinking of maybe doing something related to scuba diving and maybe a little something relating to C4lm.

Just thinking the name Calm Depths, I'd be happy with stuff that sticks with the theme of things in the deep sea. Maybe something like a submarine, shipwreck?, disconnected anchor, angler fish, giant squid, horse shoe crab, deep sea suit like bioshock might be sweet too.

Offline Crapiface

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 13:02:19 »
Just thinking the name Calm Depths, I'd be happy with stuff that sticks with the theme of things in the deep sea. Maybe something like a submarine, shipwreck?, disconnected anchor, angler fish, giant squid, horse shoe crab, deep sea suit like bioshock might be sweet too.

Yeah that'd be a great idea ! :D

Offline Valaris

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 13:10:51 »
Basically, wait till the novelties for GMK Nautilus are announced and take inspiration from there :P

Offline Crapiface

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 13:24:18 »
Basically, wait till the novelties for GMK Nautilus are announced and take inspiration from there :P

Pretty sure the creators wouldn't be happy with me if I did that :P

Offline Atredl

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 13:27:04 »
Please make it the same profile as the original! Some new layout compatibility would be really nice to have.

Offline Valaris

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 13:33:18 »

Pretty sure the creators wouldn't be happy with me if I did that :P

Take inspiration, don't steal!

Offline mr scooty

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 13:33:31 »

Yeah that'd be a great idea ! :D

Well if someone wants to take a crack at designing some that'd be sweet. Unfortunately I'm not too artsy..

Offline Crapiface

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 13:35:43 »
Please make it the same profile as the original! Some new layout compatibility would be really nice to have.

I intend to do just that actually. :)

Offline gaiden

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 13:46:56 »
Definitely interested

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 00:12:53 »
As I said on Reddit, interested. And yet again adding my voice to sticking to the original profile for automatic Colemak/Dvorak support. :)

Offline superpiya

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 06:16:35 »
Interested also. I love blue color :D

Offline The_Boom_Boy

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 07:40:30 »
By far my favorite set. I think that this needs to happen. But it will kind of sad for the people that bought it for the crazy prices because it was so rare.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 March 2017, 07:06:06 by The_Boom_Boy »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 08:33:40 »
Not gonna happen but I'd love it if this got remade in DSA this time around.

Offline zenless

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 08:52:53 »
Unnnng, so maybe in hand by Christmas 2018? Either way i'll be in if it goes forward!

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 13:01:20 »
yesyesyesyesyesyes

Offline mintyfruits

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 13:11:26 »
I'm certainly interested :) Long lead time is a good thing too, lol. Too many boards to build this year, already!

Offline doom2

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 15:59:46 »
Very interested!

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 20:47:31 »

If you're going to replicate it, at least pay homage and do it in a different profile. This is just boring copy/pasting.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 March 2017, 20:49:48 by limitz »
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 21:14:37 »

If you're going to replicate it, at least pay homage and do it in a different profile. This is just boring copy/pasting.

Agreed please don't do original profile. At that point you might as well just go all R3 because with the uptick in smaller boards such as 65%, 60% and 40%  you are basically giving a full R3 board.

Please make this a fully sculpted set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nastrovje

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 09:21:52 »
Have you contacted Maxkeys? Maybe that would be a way to produce it earlier (and cheaper)

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 09:41:11 »
been wanting to get my hands on this keyset/colorway for the longest time, that chinese gb failed recently, hope this doesnt :D

I hope MaxKey/ModKey would be a viable option for this as the set/s i got from their previous sale was good enough. I hear they are improving on the current issues too.  :thumb:

Offline zenless

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 09:46:22 »
I'd be concerned about Maxkey and available customization options. So for example HHKB, Plank, ergo, etc. Fine for a basic 60%, TK, or TKL set it seems (assuming spacing issues are cleared up)

Offline Rwhite025

• I love 40%
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 12:06:17 »
I have always dreamed of having this set! I am interested! However, will this be running through Maxkey because of SP's backlog?

I was looking too hard, when I should have been looking more easy.

Offline zabuza1997

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 12:17:15 »
Totally agreed. Maxkey indeed is not a bad choice

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 12:23:56 »
I have always dreamed of having this set! I am interested! However, will this be running through Maxkey because of SP's backlog?

from the original post, crapiface mentioned that he already talked to SP about making it. So it stands to reason that SP is gonna make it
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline Str1pez

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 12:47:48 »
I'd get down on this for sure.

Anyone know if someone is gonna do Hack'd By Geeks again?  That's the set I'd personally love someone to re-run.

Offline Arallu

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 13:23:27 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:38:04 by Arallu »

Offline punksinatra

• Random Stuff
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 13:52:46 »
I'de be in with the original profile as well.. with or without novelties. I think no novelties adds something to this keyset

Offline nastrovje

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 14:13:16 »
I'd get down on this for sure.

Anyone know if someone is gonna do Hack'd By Geeks again?  That's the set I'd personally love someone to re-run.

Last I saw, jdcarpe mentioned it may come to PMK store?
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79797.msg2234591#msg2234591

Would kill to get Hack'd by Geeks for retail price!

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 02:54:36 »
MaxKeys might be interesting but I think that's a wait-and-see affair right now.  Not that it matters too much, it's not like any new SA set is going to see production for quite some time.  There's some group buys up for them so it will be interesting to see how those turn out.  It's definitely an avenue worth exploring.

Offline maximm

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 06:53:49 »
Maxkeys does not seem to have ISO/Norde molds so please go with SP/MD :)

Offline feediko

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 17:11:22 »
Please add a full ISO Norde kit with Alt Gr layer <3

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 12 March 2017, 00:55:54 »

By the time SP is a possibility, we'd already have a round of MaxKeys out and could do another round with SP/MD later.  The other option is to get those molds made.  Maxkeys seem to be willing to do novelties.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 12 March 2017, 06:10:55 »

By the time SP is a possibility, we'd already have a round of MaxKeys out and could do another round with SP/MD later.  The other option is to get those molds made.  Maxkeys seem to be willing to do novelties.

Yep they are willing to make novelties but the pricing was a bit high for each design. But if the demand is high, they know what to do  :thumb:

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 12 March 2017, 19:05:22 »

Yep they are willing to make novelties but the pricing was a bit high for each design. But if the demand is high, they know what to do  :thumb:

I think even if this pricing was a bit high you're still saving a good amount in the end. I mean don't forget originative is running a GB for them and you get a full size keyset for $75, even if novelties bumped that price up $50 it's still worth it imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nastrovje

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 06:43:45 »
Seems like jchan already thought of Maxkeys and pulled something similar off. It is not the same, but for anyone who cannot wait at all. Also shows that they are willing to take up orders. So I would say, go for it! Be the next in queue

There is also a Hack'd by Geeks imitate coming

GB: https://www.keyclack.com/product/group-buy-maxkey-sa/
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 March 2017, 06:45:57 by nastrovje »

Offline FLOCKA

• New name: ghostdeini
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 09:13:58 »
I'm definitely interested if the original designer has given his blessing!

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 03:27:51 »

Does it matter?

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 04:21:28 »
I'd rather pay MD SP pricing which isn't that crazy and wait to get a set that I know won't have legend issues then to save a few bucks and admittedly a good chunk of time but end up with potentially sub par legends. Once maxkeys fixes it and shows it's fixed, then sure, why not.

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 09:07:26 »
I'd rather support a company that has been nothing but nice to its customers than a company using recycled broken molds to undercut the competition. This whole anti-SP nonsense is childish and entitled.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 20:28:59 »

I dont think it matters though haha unless novelties were also copied.

Offline ghostdeini

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 20:48:49 »

I dont think it matters though haha unless novelties were also copied.

Good point, consider me on board! Personally I would much rather go with SP as the manufacturer since they have a proven track record and you know exactly what you're getting. I love that Maxkeys is introducing some much-needed competition into the market, but there's something to be said for supporting an American business and its workers.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 00:01:25 »
I'd rather support a company that has been nothing but nice to its customers than a company using recycled broken molds to undercut the competition. This whole anti-SP nonsense is childish and entitled.

It's not really anti-SP so much as pro competition and availability of product.  To call it entitled seems a poor choice of words.  You simply have what's essentially been a monopoly in SP SA caps and now another maker comes along that can provide a similar product.  That has people curious to see what's going to come of it.  Personally, I hope MaxKeys does well.  Competition is always good and, perhaps, that will help encourage SP to invest in some additional tooling/molds to handle the SA load.